• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
i mean this article is obviously referring to a wider societal point here

nGMrD.gif

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Even if this is supposed to be "satire" what's the actual joke here?

It's someone taking the piss. It's just there to get people to answer specific things. The point isn't what's written in the "article", it's to say "omg lmao look at how angry they are isn't it silly".

Not a joke per say, see it as a trap in text form. Or as the setup for the eventual joke, which is the reaction of people. It's low effort a low hanging fruit. But it works. Just look at the reaction, probably got her her click quota for the month just with that.

Dr.Social

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is hitting all the highlights.

- It's not a joke
- What's the joke
- It's a bad joke
- What if it wasn't a joke at first but then they realized they are dumb and were making a joke
- I firmly believe this is not about a wider feminism point because I do not get it

Look, there's a woman writing about video games, there's got to be a problem, but we're not sure what it is yet.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit that I'm not terribly impressed with the joke on its face (it's a poor imitation of the classic Gawker Media shitposts) but the fact that it made so many people unironically mad means it is objectively very good satire.

Sauce Marlow

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's someone taking the piss. It's just there to get people to answer specific things. The point isn't what's written in the "article", it's to say "omg lmao look at how angry they are isn't it silly".

Not a joke per say, see it as a trap in text form. Or as the setup for the eventual joke, which is the reaction of people. It's low effort a low hanging fruit. But it works. Just look at the reaction, probably got her her click quota for the month just with that.
The point is to laugh at people disliking a news outlet incorrectly reporting on something? Okay, sure.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I'm glad the people intensely bothered by this are bothered for a real reason, like it being unfunny, and not because of some misogyny issue they don't want to talk about and reckon with.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
so many people have gotten got by this i'm now starting to wonder if i'm the one who's been got by thinking "surely not this many people have been got"

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I'm glad the people intensely bothered by this are bothered for a real reason, like it being unfunny, and not because of some misogyny issue they don't want to talk about and reckon with.

So let's just talk about it.

Gamers are more likely to correct games (or otherwise) journalists for simple mistakes if they are women.

They are more likely to ridicule female games journalists for making trivial mistakes about incidental game details than they are male journalists.

Let's post some examples to show people why this is a problem.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
It's not that the joke is supposed to be funny or not. It's just damning how many people could fall for and believe it was real, then trying to correct the woman writer, along with the proceeding defensive reactions after finding out they've been had. "It's not that I have a problem for falling for it. You, the writer, are stupid instead." The call to attention of that issue is the reason this exists. The context around the article, not the joke itself.

If nothing else, learn to discern what is obviously satire and not believe every headline you read.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I think if a guy wrote an article about how Chun Li wasn't in the Mortal Kombat movie they'd face the same ridicule?

badatorigami

Dec 5, 2019
The article is chuckle-worthy, but the reactions from those who are unamused are hilarious. For those who don't understand the purpose of the article, read the first comment underneath it.

The point is to laugh at people disliking a news outlet incorrectly reporting on something? Okay, sure.
Jezebel ain't the Associated Press.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, did none of you people who "don't get it" see the office? It's literally the same joke. This is what's being made fun of. The punchline lis literally Dwight grunting and upset that he can't correct Jim's clearly on-purpose bad summary.

Do people behind media not collect data before writing anymore?

LOL it'd be funny if it weren't so true. Rise up gamers, etc. So many of you are Dwight, it's...it's a lot to take in.

EDIT: Ugh, no timestamp support, but it's at :50s.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
They definitely would. See the times gamers flipped out because journalists played Cuphead and Doom Eternal badly, both of whom were male, were they not? Not to say that gaming doesn't have a massive sexism problem, because it clearly does.

Even if you really want to remove the sexism issue, it's problematic how many people can't discern what is obviously not real.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I can't understand why the AP Stylebook doesn't specify that you need to add a "/s" to the end of your tongue in cheek writing. Fake views!!

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Writer: "I hate these people so much, I can't wait to show them how fucking stupid they are."
Audience: "I hate these people so much, I can't wait to show them how fucking stupid they are."

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Hrngh woman... dumb... don't get... vidya gamez! Must... type! TYPETYPETYPETYPETYPETYPE

Huh whazzit? Is... joke? Joke against me? But I thouughttt jokes were supposed to be funnyyyyy

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Listen folks it's not that complicated. It's obvious misogyny because the thread titles and articles about it are running with "Jezebel did dumb thing." The framing matters.

The ex post facto tongue clucking, and even worse the "it was a mistake and they tried to cover it" takes baited a bunch of people, including posters in this thread into showing their asses. Take the L and move on.

Me when reading an article that refers to Mortal Kombat as "a super realistic study on the cross-section of kung-fu and elemental magic": this article is very serious and earnest
Receipts
Look, there's a woman writing about video games, there's got to be a problem, but we're not sure what it is yet.
🎯🎯
You're butt of this joke.
🤔
So let's just talk about it.

Gamers are more likely to correct games (or otherwise) journalists for simple mistakes if they are women.

They are more likely to ridicule female games journalists for making trivial mistakes about incidental game details than they are male journalists.

Let's post some examples to show people why this is a problem.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some people who "got it" are getting weirdly irritated for no reason about something that would be nothing if its point wasn't right.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Isn't that site was owned by Gawker Media which then got bought out by some hedge fund that fired everybody decent?

I mean, it's hard to tell satire from not with their usual body of "work".

That said, yes, clearly the article was meant to be a troll, but... It wasn't particularly witty or funny. So basically as expected, meh.