• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that the article was full of clues that this is a bit, and it being a bit is repeated constantly here, and there are are still people who are convinced it's not a bit, is pretty damning.
Don't forget the ex post facto tongue clicking about "misleading" people as a result of dumbasses showing their .... Asses.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'm shocked, shocked, that a forum user named "HaremKing" with a big-breasted anime waifu avatar would fail to pick up on the nuance of feminist social commentary
If pretending to be lacking knowledge about a subject is a nuanced feminist social commentary then my goodness I've come across that in many parts of the internet that likely don't espouse the same convictions.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That update is hilarious. "Wow!" 😂

Got fans worked up enough to get Chun-Li trending. That's an accomplishment.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I will never understand people finding glee in shitposting and then giggling at people being stupid in response.

"Trolling fucking sucks. Unless I do it. Then it's HILARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIOUS".
Basically this.

Everyone knows at this point that the low-attention social media-driven internet doesn't read articles beyond the headline. What exactly are you proving?

I suppose there are far worse clickbait efforts that could have been made.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Do outlets typically make updates and corrections for satire?
Indeed.

I suspect someone saw the trailer, had a brain fart and wrote out a post about it.
The end.

But it's worked out well, they've issued a correction and everyone is still killing their asses off talking about it.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
As an astute Era poster, I hope the academy remembers this brave OP for February Thread of the Month.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
Basically this.

Everyone knows at this point that the low-attention social media-driven internet doesn't read articles beyond the headline. What exactly are you proving?

I suppose there are far worse clickbait efforts that could have been made.

okay to be fair here, i do love the confidence of you understanding what the 'point' is while simultaneously not getting the point at all. respect.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This thread on ERA illustrates the humor and the problem. OP paid too little attention to the subject to understand the ploy. Therefore the joke replicates itself.

You're not wrong. OP assumed the website was too cheap to pay for professional writers and was running as a content farm. On first look, it does read like someone quickly hammered it out for SEO.

J-Soul

Banned
Nov 11, 2020
The Youtube thumbnail equivalent of article writing. All that's missing are the red arrowsand circles.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Got fans worked up enough to get Chun-Li trending. That's an accomplishment.
KA7BQNw.png

tumblr_inline_n6ct80UJP31r7ynjm.jpg

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
This thread is hitting all the highlights.

- It's not a joke
- What's the joke
- It's a bad joke
- What if it wasn't a joke at first but then they realized they are dumb and were making a joke
- I firmly believe this is not about a wider feminism point because I do not get it

deli

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed.

I suspect someone saw the trailer, had a brain fart and wrote out a post about it.
The end.

But it's worked out well, they've issued a correction and everyone is still killing their asses off talking about it.
The Youtube thumbnail equivalent of article writing. All that's missing are the red arrowsand circles.
Thread backfire or dumb author?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
okay to be fair here, i do love the confidence of you understanding what the 'point' is while simultaneously not getting the point at all. respect.
What do you think the point is? Is the author trying to embarrass the subset of chuds who can't parse that the whole article is facetious and would insist on mansplaining her supposed error? Because the past several years suggests to me that that audience is incapable of embarrassment, shame, or reflection.

The only tangible, real-world effect is a day of viral spread and shitposting. Like I said, good on her for the clicks.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
What's the word for "exact opposite of irony?"

For example, when someone writes a satirical article mocking how internet gatekeepers rail against content creators, but internet gatekeepers go and do that exact thing with the satire. What's the word for that?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So it's supposed to be one of those "hah, I was only pretending to be stupid, trolled ya" scenarios? Because that usually makes the person look stupid as well

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
So it's supposed to be one of those "hah, I was only pretending to be stupid, trolled ya" scenarios? Because that usually makes the person look stupid as well

i mean the difference here is that the article is very clearly a troll since it says "they need chun li to win the ultimate street fight" and calls mortal kombat a realistic look at the cross section between martial arts and elemental magic, and so the folks who fall for it are Very Dumb, where as usually in these situations it's someone starting out by saying something they earnestly believe (but is very stupid), and then having people point out that it's stupid, and then trying to play it off as just a joke.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

No, like you read it it's pretty much in your face that it's bait. But it's so in your face you'd think people would go "Oh, das bait"

But instead they go "No, Chun isn't in MK".

She went fishing with a big fat bait written BAIT BAIT BAIT DON'T BITE BAIT BAIT BAIT on it, and they all bit anyway. It's very low effort, but it works, so why work for it?

I mean I'm pretty sure you cou ld get people to get angry over the "Why do you call it the Xbox 360?" thing. People just don't understand. Go around and speak with some people and say like RIP in peace, guarantee you there will be at least one person correcting you.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Swift released A Modest Proposal today, God help him if he didn't include a /s and a 😉