• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
When you don't pay folks for quality writing so everything is a quick flip hot take.

EujHEuBVkAEXiD7

EujHHfMVEAAHK0D

Futterish

Half of F-Squared
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
When you fall for a shitpost, tho...

(Given copy editing, this would never have made it through if it were a real error. And then it would have come down when the "error" was discovered, because the real information would obliterate the entire premise. But it IS fun to watch the internet make the joke funnier.)

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
...jesus.

Like, this is not even a "come on, that person's clearly not a gamer, don't pick on them" situation. If you're a journalist, it's really not that hard to just look up "Chun Li Mortal Kombat" on Google and realise that there might be something wrong with your article, lmao.

EDIT: I'm seeing people saying that it's tongue-in-cheek (can't read the full article right now) but isn't Jezebel kinda infamous for articles as shitty as this?

EDIT2: Okay, lmao, actually reading the thing, it definetely is satire, I feel kinda stupid now. Like, look at the update they added later

Update, 4:39 p.m.: Jezebel has discovered the answer to our question about Chun Li's erasure, and it is that Chun Li is not part of the Mortal Kombat megaverse. Wow!

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It doesn't feel like it's serious to me, honestly, especially since they explicitly reference Street Fighter in the piece, but it's weird either way.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Including the line about "the ultimate street fight" clearly shows that they're taking the piss, but what is the satire? That women aren't supposed to know about violent video games? That people are going to be pissed that a woman from a feminist-slanted vertical doesn't know about fighting games, but clearly does?

All it does is dumb down the discourse and enable toxicity all around.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that street fight is mention means she's just fucking with ya dummies

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
...jesus.

Like, this is not even a "come on, that person's clearly not a gamer, don't pick on them" situation. If you're a journalist, it's really not that hard to just look up "Chun Li Mortal Kombat" on Google and realise that there might be something wrong with your article, lmao.

*whooosh*

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i saw this on twitter and the amount of replies of folks falling for it was really depressing

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I keep forgetting about the mortal Kombat film. Something feels off about it.

oh well. Can't judge until I see it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

It really is not hard. At all. So think about that.

That said, it seemingly a parody, but a poorly executed one.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It's not clicks. They're mocking the people who get mad about things like this.

Mad about what, though? I don't really get what the satire is myself tbh.

Also, just heard you on 99 Potions. I think you're going to fit in pretty well at Fanbyte, hope to hear you in some of the other pods they have.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
It's bait for people to go "Oh honey, let me educate you about this clearly wrong thing, because I genuinely can believe you didn't know."

A lot of people took the bait.

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
When you fall for a shitpost, tho...

(Given copy editing, this would never have made it through if it were a real error. And then it would have come down when the "error" was discovered, because the real information would obliterate the entire premise. But it IS fun to watch the internet make the joke funnier.)

Struck me more as a typical content farm post. When outlets are too cheap to pay proper wages to writers, so volume is prioritized above all else.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I read the entire article and I'm honestly not sure if its a joke or not, like the entire article is taking the piss out of something but I'm not even sure what.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There's a bunch of little things in the article that point to the writer having specific knowledge of both series. Beyond it just mentioning "street fight", it mentions Chun-Li's signature move by name, as well as "realms" and "choose your fighter" from Mortal Kombat. It's definitely taking the piss, although it doesn't really seem to be particularly barbed towards anyone in particular, it's just something that can grab people who take these things too seriously.