• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Legit question - Shenmue 2 is 18 years old. Are there any other franchises or games that have picked up the same story and continued it following a duration of 10 years + ?

I can't think of any and was curious

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
It never looked like a modern game, it always looked stiff and clunky. People should set their expectations extremely low, don't expect something beyond a Dreamcast game in terms of ambition and you might be satisfied. It's probably going to struggle to reach the level of something like Deadly Premonition.
Long time Shenmue fan here and this is all I was expecting, in fact it was all I wanted. I don't feel the originals are as terrible and "unplayable" as some make out. They're unique but even back then they were unique and weirdly, after all this time there's basically no other games that have tried to do what Shenmue did.

I didn't actually want some super spruced up modern take on the game, I wanted it to feel like a direct continuation of what came before because that's what I loved. If you want what everyone else seems to want from Shenmue there's only about 6 or 7 Yakuza games out there for you to try. But Shenmue is not and never should be Yakuza or anything else. I'm happy with Shenmue 3 feeling as if it was made 15 years ago. It's all I wanted and all I expected. I do hate the gaming community sometimes, there's a myriad of people out there who never gave a fuck for Shenmue who suddenly get in the "concerned" train to bring it down. If you don't care then just let it be, nobody promised you all the things you seem to think it owes you, and it's very existence is making most of the long time fans very happy. Shenmue 3 is primarily being made for, and by, those people, and that's all the game has to satisfy ultimately. If you don't like it fair enough, but enough with everyone aggressively willing to see it's demise. It's pathetic from a community that's supposedly all here for a hobby.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
The article specifically states that graphics aren't the only problem. They weren't satisfied with the gameplay either
Combat will be rough to serviceable. Ys Net is only a 45 person studio and had to make everything from scratch. The don't have the luxury to recycle and reuse many systems/engines. In a perfect world Shenmue is suppose to be using using a fighting engine that's really in depth like a fighting game but there's no way to expect that given the circumstances. I've seen the b-roll footage and it looks and feels like Shenmue but this is coming from a fan. Hopefully they use the next 5 months to polish it as much as possible.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the people saying, "but we want it to be the same!"

No one wants the series to evolve or build on top of what they had? Why didn't they just reuse their old engine and assets if that's what people wanted? It would sure have saved a lot of money.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Just entertaining this for a second. Do you think it was smart of Yu to build his own team post-E3 2015? Would there have been more bang for the buck outsourcing it to an established studio, and have Yu directing on site? Its nice they have some Directors, character designers, composers and things from the original back, but putting a crew together seems like a way to stumble out of the blocks

That said, it does feel like Shenmue, and Im very excited still. Just acknowledging some roughness to the build, and considering the best ways to go about a kickstarter project

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I believe them. It's how the game looks like from an outsider.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Legit question - Shenmue 2 is 18 years old. Are there any other franchises or games that have picked up the same story and continued it following a duration of 10 years + ?

Syberia 3 was 13 years after the second title, and was critically panned for being a very disappointing follow up in almost every way.

Not that it's as story intensive, but Metriod Prime 4 is going to be probably 15ish years after Prime 3, I suppose one could argue Federation Force continued the plot of the Prime series with it's ending stinger, but almost no one played that game.

Stonebeard

The Fallen
Feb 19, 2019
People forget that the old shenmue games weren't really that highly rated. The shenmue games are quite unique and have a very specific type of atmosphere that I have not seen replicated in other games. They were also one of the most expensive games made back then, which is why we haven't seen a third title until decades later it had to be kickstarted by fans. The fact that they were able to make the game at all on a budget that is a small fraction of the originals is a miracle.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Im not the biggest shenmue fan. Haven't even purchased the HD remasters, but it's clear the op made this thread with an agenda. I've just read up impressions from other sites

IGN
https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/06...-a-video-game-than-its-predecessors-a-e3-2019

RockPapershotgun

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/13/shenmue-3-preview-e3-2019-turtle-racing/

PSU

https://www.psu.com/news/opinion-shenmue-3-looks-dated-and-at-e3-2019-thats-a-good-thing-heres-why/

Trustedreviews

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/shenmue-3

Easy allies etc.

There's mixed impressions for you all to read.

Its shocking the op took an impression, translated it and posted it in a bias manner to portray a negative image of the game. We're better than this ppl. Read all the Impressions and then make your mind up
^

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that's fair enough. I know that for me the presentation of a calm realistic Depiction of a Normal Japanese town , was really amazing back in 2000/2001.
I think it's one of those games that was kind of a zeitgeist for gamers at the time and as a result I suspect it would be hard for many to get into now.

Yeah I'm a Shenmue Stan but i know I'm wearing some huge ass rose colored glasses. Playing the original when it came out was a mind blowing experience, I don't think people realize just how innovative the game was since it feels so dated now, but for me at least it was the first game world where I felt like 'holy shit I am living in this game's world'. Like just walking around town and talking to people on the street and going into an arcade and playing a game or even just inspecting stuff in your house was exciting. As a teenage American it was as if I got to visit Japan through Shenmue, to this day it's still one of my most memorable gaming experiences.

All that being said, open world games have matured so much since then that I was apprehensive about getting excited with Shenmue 3 given the budget and limited resources. I have very low expectations for it and so far the impressions have not given me confidence that it's going to be anything bud a let down.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
The graphics seem to be in line with the kickstarter pitch video iirc.
D87g7s-W4AIQfKy.jpg:large

Yes definitely in-line.

Last edited:

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue III is putting together an open, 3D world on an AA budget. I'm frankly astounded at what Yu and team have been able to put together.

In a perfect world, Yu would have a $30+ million budget to work with, but I'm thrilled with what I've seen so far. This is genuinely a Shenmue made for the fans. Could it flop because of that? Sure, but I'll always be glad he didn't compromise on his vision.

To end on a positive note, the environments shown so far all look incredible.

Last edited:

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
To be fair, jeuxvideo.com has been trolling Shenmue 3 since 2015 lol
All the news about the game always had a snarky comment such as "but will this game ever even release" or "while we don't have any excitement for this game" lol I remember Shenmue's fans always yelling in the comment section.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017

No one wants the series to evolve or build on top of what they had? Why didn't they just reuse their old engine and assets if that's what people wanted? It would sure have saved a lot of money.
I mean, we do, but nobody was going to give this game/series the budget it once had to have that all come to fruition.

I would have been down had they reused the assets from the first two games, but would the current publisher/Developers/Sega and Yu Suzuki be ok with that?

The game looks fine for what the budget is. I definitely don't expect it to be as detailed and full of life as the previous games were. Which kind bums me out, but the game existing at all is such a pleasant surprise, most of us are just happy it exists.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, jeuxvideo.com has been trolling Shenmue 3 since 2015 lol
All the news about the game always had a snarky comment such as "but will this game ever even release" or "while we don't have any excitement for this game" lol I remember Shenmue's fans always yelling in the comment section.
I don't understand the agenda against Shenmue. You would want this game to succeed bc it's unique and bucks the trend of your typical big publisher games. Then you have the brand new Yakuza fans who just discovered Yakuza 0 but seem to be oblivious to the recycled madness of the series for the past 9 to 10 games even though truly they are different experiences. Both series can co-exist in a world of the same shooters over and over. It's pain to be a Shenmue fan. It's OK to not like the game but It just seems some people want this game to fail as much as possible. Just my opinion

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I have zero investment in the franchise, but I hope for the hardcore fans it gives them some joy and closure. It's weird because the first games had some incredible production values, so I wonder if it's weird that not it's seemingly this janky, gross looking mess. Maybe it plays great? Maybe the story is satisfying?

I just would hate for it to suck after all these years. I hope it's good with the right perspective at least.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the only game I've ever backed and I have lower expectations of this than I do the mess that FF7 Remake is probably going to be.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm worried about is that it's barely moved on from 20 years ago, they haven't modernised it from the brief videos we've seen, dialogue is still wooden, there's barely anything new design wise. Which is a shame given Shenmue 1/2 was seen as a trailblazer in its time, it was all new a great change to how we played games, I was hoping Yu to maintain the spirit of Shenmue but also introduce new ideas and mechanics. Hope I'm wrong, but it does look like they've tried to meet low expectations I held, and that's not going to serve the game well, no matter how many fans want it that way. It's going to be slammed critically if it is a basic as the old games.

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how much they spent on the English dub. I think that's going to be the sort of thing we're all going to look back at as a huge mistake and waste of resources. Not even the Yakuza games, with the exception of a couple titles, bothered spending resources on something like that.

If the game is truly this rough, it's because they spent time trying to be too true to the originals instead of working with the resources they were given. I can see why they wanted to appeal mostly to the fans who begged for the game for 18 years, but focus and progression didn't need to be sacrificed.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm worried about is that it's barely moved on from 20 years ago, they haven't modernised it from the brief videos we've seen, dialogue is still wooden, there's barely anything new design wise. Which is a shame given Shenmue 1/2 was seen as a trailblazer in its time, it was all new a great change to how we played games, I was hoping Yu to maintain the spirit of Shenmue but also introduce new ideas and mechanics. Hope I'm wrong, but it does look like they've tried to meet low expectations I held, and that's not going to serve the game well, no matter how many fans want it that way. It's going to be slammed critically if it is a basic as the old games.
I know critics will act like the Japanese dub doesn't exist but I can guarantee you it feels way more natural in Japanese judging off the Japanese e3 trailer. It will be dual audio

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I wonder how much they spent on the English dub. I think that's going to be the sort of thing we're all going to look back at as a huge mistake and waste of resources. Not even the Yakuza games, with the exception of a couple titles, bothered spending resources on something like that.

If the game is truly this rough, it's because they spent time trying to be too true to the originals instead of working with the resources they were given. I can see why they wanted to appeal mostly to the fans who begged for the game for 18 years, but focus and progression didn't need to be sacrificed.
Yeah I agree. Japanese only would have been a much better priority. Could have put the money into graphical polish but uhh, what's done is done

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Shenmue 3 looks sterile to me. I suppose I haven't seen enough to really know for sure but it somehow looks worse than the old games.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I trust Huber more than this article. Everything I've seen is exactly what I expected from a game of this budget.

Giant Bomb also said it was horrible.

GB has never been a fan of Shenmue. So this doesn't mean anything.

When your remasters of 20 year old games are both better presented and more technically impressive, that's a bit horrifying.

This is as bad as those posts saying "X game" looks like a PS2 game. The remasters aren't more technically impressive than 3. You're lying to yourself if you really believe this.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I think worth keeping in mind with Shenmue 3 is that it's not really trying to appeal to a mass market audience. I usually hate the whole "it's for the fans" argument but in this game's case it really is, outside of 1999 Shenmue has never really been loved by mainstream audiences.

I love 'em but I'll also admit that they're super janky, awkward, and ridiculous. But at the same time, they offer something that isn't really offered by any other games out there (Yakuza comes closest but they're much grittier).

I do kinda wish they leaned into it looking like a Dreamcast game, though, rather than making it look super polished in terms of backgrounds which contrasts way too much with the more stilted character animations.

(what if they made it look like a low poly sega saturn game instead)

Oct 30, 2017
They need to appeal to the hardcore cuz obviously we've managed to break records and all of that, but it's always going to come down to sales if they realistically think they're getting to another two games. I don't know how that's happening if the game really is this off putting to non-fans. You're also not going to end up pleasing every fan and the fan base is obviously already fractured. Seems ominous, unfortunately.

Nagoshi says he was begged by Sega to restrain Yu Suzuki and get the first game finished, that Suzuki loves adding things continuously without a real goal in mind. Seems he might've needed that kind of influence on his team.

Time will tell. At least I'm finally getting to see what happens after the CAVE.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey was released in 2006 and the first episode of Dreamfall Chapters was released in 2014. The last episode was released in 2016.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah as someone who never was into Shenmue even back when they were still new, it does look really rough, but hey if the hardcore fans still like it, then more power to them. This project is more for them than anyone else really. That's how I always saw it.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Huber from Easy Allies liked it and I trust his opinion far more than anyone else.

I'm not expecting the game it's score well (anywhere between 50-70%) but as long as the fans like it and feel like it feels and plays like a Shenmue game then it won't matter to me.

From what I've seen of the IGN Japan footage it actually looked way better than it has done before.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
The constant outpouring of negativity regarding anything related to Shenmue 3 really is one of the most bizarre things I've seen in gaming (and I'm getting pretty old!)

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Long-time Shenmue fan here. Haven't played the game yet, but backed the Kickstarter to the tune of hundreds and have the series' logo tattooed on my arm. Genuinely understand why non-fans are bemused by this project, but my honest opinion is that it's come together better than I ever imagined it would.

Perhaps that speaks to the apocalyptically low expectations I had, but I'm honestly impressed with how they've managed to capture the Dreamcast games. Obviously, I completely understand why people who have no affinity to the franchise are baffled, though.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
They could have released it using the Dreamcast assets and just repurposed all the dialogue and I still would have backed it and been happy
The constant outpouring of negativity regarding anything related to Shenmue 3 really is one of the most bizarre things I've seen in gaming (and I'm getting pretty old!)

Its about what I expected, everyone hated Shenmue before 3 got announced

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting they would copy a little Yakuza series for combat(nagoshi touch as supervisor for the first shenmue).... but after that gameplay video.... ho boy...

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The only opinion I need on Shenmue 3 is from EZA's Huber and he liked it except for a few worries about the combat.
Frankly, f... off comparing this game to 2019 AAA titles, that's not the point.
Shenmue III |OT| Frankly, f... off comparing this game to 2019 AAA titles, that's not the point

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In an ideal world I would love that but with the budget that was raised and the dev team tending to have experience on older games only, I don't think it's possible to have a game that is comparable to The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy VII.