• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've described it that way myself just looking at the footage on YT. Looks horrendous.
i think this is a case were the general audience (those who weren't there to experience 1 and 2 when they came out) will just feel happy for the fans and move on. i don't see shenmue getting any new fans with this game.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I adored the original Shenmue on the DC but felt Shenmue II was already coming off as dated when I played it on the OG XBOX.

This game looks rough, cheap and uninspired. The fighting is especially disappointing given that the Yakuza games (which many feel are the spiritual successor to the Shenmue franchise) have similar combat but look and play better. (At least based on what we've seen so far of Shenmue III)

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a game for the fans. Anyone else is probably gonna hate it. I'm glad the fans finally get to finish the story but I still don't know if it was a good idea.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think everyone knew this game would not have been an AAA game technically. It was impossible. We just wanted to feel that atmosphere again and continue with Ryo's story. This guy instead, only cares about graphics and animations. This is a game for the Shenmue long time fans, and it's beautiful

Don't assume all longtime fans are happy with this game because I'm most certainly unimpressed thus far.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've not played it, so I can't judge what they say broadly, but this

.The animations, as basic as they go, do not honor the character of Ryo. He who was once so elegant, so charismatic, is only a shadow of himself. Postmortem rigidity, empty and inexpressive gaze, the hero of a whole generation is hard to see. He's not just inexpressive: he's just not alive.

This is amusing to me, as he looks exactly like he did in Shenmue 1 and 2. 'Hero of a whole generation...who was so elegant'

XORvhd.gif

Look I love those games and am looking forward to 3 based on what I've seen, but let's not show 'concern' that the master of charm school Ryo has been dumbed down...

My only personal gripe is that it doesn't finish the story.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
He should just put the rest of the story out as a manga or anime then. Why make an awful game just for the hell of it?
A large part of Shenmue's charm has always been the interaction between the player and the world. Just being able to knock on every door or talk to every person in a Shenmue game really influenced my work and, in a funny way, made me see how video games can really be a diverse medium; that's what makes the series so unique to me.

Finishing the story in a manga or anime series would not capture what Shenmue is and would ultimately fail to deliver the experience Suzuki-san and co. brought to the table with 1 and 2.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game gonna be the equivalent of chapter 337 in Hunter X Hunter, huh?

proxy

With the exception that the storyline is nowhere near ready to get any sort of conclusion based on the 40% talks.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A large part of Shenmue's charm has always been the interaction between the player and the world. Just being able to knock on every door or talk to every person in a Shenmue game really influenced my work and, in a funny way, made me see how video games can really be a diverse medium; that's what makes the series so unique to me.

Finishing the story in a manga or anime series would not capture what Shenmue is and would ultimately fail to deliver the experience Suzuki-san and co. brought to the table with 1 and 2.

But is 3 even gonna have all of that? It seems very limited by its budget.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Ouch. They call it a disaster ("from the moment you start controlling the character") and just basically trounced the whole thing.

Interestingly, though, they replaced the line "projet étudiant" (student project) with "projet peu avancé" (early draft kind of project) since then. I guess it's slightly less inflammatory...

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I linked a video of Shenmue 3 to a friend who showed some passing interest in giving it a go when it releases based on hearing positive things about Shenmue 1 and 2. When he saw the video, he immediately said "Why are you cutting wood? Why are you playing these weird gambling games?? What the fuck is this?!?!!? It looks like complete shit. Who would ever be interested in this?!"

It was then that I knew Shenmue 3 would be a true Shenmue game.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the originals but been saying since day 1 that this game was going to be trash.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch. They call it a disaster and just basically trounced the whole thing.

Interestingly, though, they replaced the line "projet étudiant" (student project) with "projet peu avancé" (early draft kind of project) since then. I guess it's slightly less inflammatory...
Calling something a student project is a bit of a dick move, it's not only reductive to the hard work put into the game, it also shits on the work students do

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im not the biggest shenmue fan. Haven't even purchased the HD remasters, but it's clear the op made this thread with an agenda. I've just read up impressions from other sites

IGN
https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/06...-a-video-game-than-its-predecessors-a-e3-2019

RockPapershotgun

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/13/shenmue-3-preview-e3-2019-turtle-racing/

PSU

https://www.psu.com/news/opinion-shenmue-3-looks-dated-and-at-e3-2019-thats-a-good-thing-heres-why/

Trustedreviews

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/shenmue-3

Easy allies etc.

There's mixed impressions for you all to read.

Its shocking the op took an impression, translated it and posted it in a bias manner to portray a negative image of the game. We're better than this ppl. Read all the Impressions and then make your mind up
agenda? so people should only make positive threads? you're free to make a thread to highlight the positive impressions if you want.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
The character animations do look pretty bad...

And I mean Bad, not dated. Everyone moves like a marionette.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im not the biggest shenmue fan. Haven't even purchased the HD remasters, but it's clear the op made this thread with an agenda. I've just read up impressions from other sites

IGN
https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/06...-a-video-game-than-its-predecessors-a-e3-2019

RockPapershotgun

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/13/shenmue-3-preview-e3-2019-turtle-racing/

PSU

https://www.psu.com/news/opinion-shenmue-3-looks-dated-and-at-e3-2019-thats-a-good-thing-heres-why/

Trustedreviews

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/shenmue-3

Easy allies etc.

There's mixed impressions for you all to read.

Its shocking the op took an impression, translated it and posted it in a bias manner to portray a negative image of the game. We're better than this ppl. Read all the Impressions and then make your mind up

You come off as far more biased than the OP.

And FYI, a lot of people aren't thrilled with what's been shown so far in regards to Shenmue III.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Can you drop the conspiracy theory bullshit already , as a french speaker I read the article and the translation of tha article isn't taking any liberties at all . The OP just copy pasted the translation of the article that google translate gave him without any editing .

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
That may be, but in 1999 in terms of facial movement and animations he was still a step ahead of the rest.

Even at the time I remember thinking how silly his lanky running animation was. The game was super impressive at the time, but I always felt that was down to the textures

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm somewhat worried about the combat from the footage shown. Seems very janky and looks like a significant stepdown from the previous games. But I feel that the game captures so much of Shenmue's essence (from what I've seen) that I think fans like myself will still love it. The mainstream media will undoubtedly destroy this game on release.

But let's face it, there'll never be anything like Shenmue in the market ever. This is a game made for the fans, for better or for worse. Lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
But is 3 even gonna have all of that? It seems very limited by its budget.
Will it? Haha, I wish I knew. I'm almost certain that things will be held back due to a lack of budget.

I remember having discussions about whether Shenmue will end on game 3 or 4, but I always knew this was a series that could easily stretch into 8 games. And I also know that Shenmue 3 could easily be the last game we ever get. But even with a limited budget, as long as Suzuki-san can continue to tell Ryo's story without too much compromise (rushing an ending, for example, would completely kill Shenmue's slow pacing), I will be perfectly content.

It's likely been discussed to death, but I see this as a game for fans. It'll get flak, I'm sure, but I had a feeling that was going to be the case years ago.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Can you drop the conspiracy theory bullshit already , as a french speaker I read the article and the translation of tha article isn't taking any liberties at all . The OP just copy pasted the translation of the article that google translate gave him without any editing .
Gogols Translate isn't that perfect so I did edit here and there, where it was too fuzzy, stylistically tedious or flat-out confusing. If I didn't convey the writer's impressions accurately then you deserve my apologies

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't sound surprising in the least

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I am happy for the Shenmue fans but I can't for the life of me understand the love behind this series. First two games were absolute shits and this one looks horrendous.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have no problem with the way game design. I will have problem if it suffer on technical issue. Even with limit budget I'm sure they can get someone to do better animation and game model. I mean it already use unreal engine 4 so most of the problem should already been solved. At this point it feels like they just hire cheap animator/programmer to finish the project. I saw student project that look better than this.

U don't need to play the full game or see lengthy video to judge. Even short one already show how stiff the character move , still face is still there when talk, etc. It feels like an episode in anime where they outsource to grade c studio just to keep the price low.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I'm somewhat worried about the combat from the footage shown. Seems very janky and looks like a significant stepdown from the previous games. But I feel that the game captures so much of Shenmue's essence (from what I've seen) that I think fans like myself will still love it. The mainstream media will undoubtedly destroy this game on release.

But let's face it, there'll never be anything like Shenmue in the market ever. This is a game made for the fans, for better or for worse. Lol.
The Friends of Ringo Ishikawa seems to bear a heavy Shenmue influence

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Gogols Translate isn't that perfect so I did edit here and there, where it was too fuzzy, stylistically tedious or flat-out confusing. If I didn't convey the writer's impressions accurately then you deserve my apologies
Nah your corrections combined with Google transalte base line was on point you did justice to Epyon's article .

This user is just one of those english only speakers who think that any bit of translation being done is a way for the translator to "thorw their agenda in there" ...
Hence I called this guy out on it .

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I've just watch a bunch of gameplay, video recordings b roll footage from different places and hmmmm...Trying to look at this objectively as possible without feeling sympathetic or through nostalgic lenses but the game just looks awful...im sorry but it just does. I thought it would be farther along than this. Animations are stiff robotic. Voice acting (english) is bad. Like comically so.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Personally, I find the notion that this is a 'game for the fans' to be bizarre, as if loving Shenmue two decades ago negates the need for evolution and refinement in a project being released at the tail end of 2019.

The Yakuza series took that dropped ball and ran with it years ago and effectively does everything Shenmue does better so if this sequel can't even manage to wrap up the story, what's the point?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I just want to see a decent chunk of gameplay, involving a story mission and some significant content. I backed this game, even though I never played much of the originals, but I I still want to see more.