• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bishopp135

Oct 29, 2017
www.newsweek.com

Jesy Nelson Accused of Blackfishing in New 'Boyz' Music Video

Former Little Mix star Jesy Nelson released the video for her new track, "Boyz," on Friday morning, and has faced a barrage of criticism in the hours since.

Former Little Mix star Jesy Nelson has been accused of "blackfishing" in the video for her new track, "Boyz," a collaboration with rapper Nicki Minaj.

The term blackfishing has been credited—at least in part—to hip-hop journalist Wanna Thompson, according to NBC News. In 2018, Thompson shared a Twitter thread of a string of non-Black public figures who had used makeup, Photoshop and cosmetic surgery to appear Black or mixed race.

Nelson previously addressed blackfishing accusations she faced earlier this year, telling The Guardian in an August interview: "I would never want to offend anyone, and that was really upsetting. I wasn't aware that's how people felt."

youtu.be

Jesy Nelson - Boyz (Official Video) ft. Nicki Minaj

Listen to Boyz now: https://jesy.lnk.to/BoyzFPSign up to be the first to hear official Jesy Nelson news: https://JESY.lnk.to/SignUpSo Follow JesyInstagram: h...

From the video:

mEUJMrm.jpeg

And a previous comparison.

IjkZtRO.png

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
It is quite crazy how Jesy Nelson's image has been marketed. I had no idea she was white until I read about the controversy regarding this.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the video and had to turn it off. It's pretty clear she is trying to bite black culture in the video. Her skin is overly tan and trying to be a "hood girl" it's pretty gross. The song also sucks! Jesy can actually sing so I don't know why she did that weird thing with her voice.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the video and had to turn it off. It's pretty clear she is trying to bite black culture in the video. Her skin is overly tan and trying to be a "hood girl" it's pretty gross. The song also sucks! Jesy can actually sing so I don't know why she did that weird thing with her voice.

I think it's pretty clear that she's trying to maintain her look and image from Little Mix.

Also, the song does suck.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty clear that she's trying to maintain her look and image from Little Mix.

Also, the song does suck.
She actually said the opposite in an interview recently. She said she wasn't allowed to be herself in Little Mix and this is the real her and she's having fun being able to express herself 😬 cringe worthy stuff here.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

B̵̛͓̤̐̏̄͋̿̂̐̈́͐ͅŌ̶̡̨̺̰̮͔̤̘̽̑̉̋̄̾͒͘͠L̴̡̨̰̖͈̹̣̰̼̾͋̇̃̍͠L̷̞̯̻̠͍͔̊͗̂Y̶͇̑̕Į̷͙̠̞͎̖̠̱͔̗̍͊́̃̓̀͗̇͗͝N̴̨̨̥̘̮̼͙͐̈́̌̎͑Ṭ̶̢͇̙̒̒̈́̏͛̇͘H̶̨̞̃Ë̸̢͔̳͎̟́̈́̀̊̌̊̾͑̌̕H̵̝͑̈̎̌̽̂̾̊̔̚ͅ

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
7cbe71fc4a5afda7b1f3de48988a10c8.gif

Just googled her and yeah if I didn't know I would think she was at least half black.

Oct 27, 2017
She has quite openly struggled with mental health and self confidence regarding her image.

This just feels like an extension of all that. The extent she seems to want to justify that this is her being herself just feels a bit cyncical.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong and it's ill of me to speculate on mental health, but at this extent it just comes across super sketchy. Watching this video all I can see is another intimate interview in 10 years time where she expresses regret for this point of her career.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Wow

last time I knew if her was little mix from X Factor

Jesus Christ there is no way of defending that

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Until this issue started to show up on twitter, I actually had no idea she was white.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
B̵̛͓̤̐̏̄͋̿̂̐̈́͐ͅŌ̶̡̨̺̰̮͔̤̘̽̑̉̋̄̾͒͘͠L̴̡̨̰̖͈̹̣̰̼̾͋̇̃̍͠L̷̞̯̻̠͍͔̊͗̂Y̶͇̑̕Į̷͙̠̞͎̖̠̱͔̗̍͊́̃̓̀͗̇͗͝N̴̨̨̥̘̮̼͙͐̈́̌̎͑Ṭ̶̢͇̙̒̒̈́̏͛̇͘H̶̨̞̃Ë̸̢͔̳͎̟́̈́̀̊̌̊̾͑̌̕H̵̝͑̈̎̌̽̂̾̊̔̚ͅ
some straight up eldrich shit

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Probably the same shit Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Christina Aguilera, Timberlake etc. all did. It's a proven successful model.

1. break out as a solo artist using black culture as a tool.
2. Become mad popular and take credit for starting long established trends.
3. Get angry when black people call you out.
4. A few years later, apologize by saying you were young and dumb (this apology is for the white community not the black community).
5. Be forgiven by the (white) media as they continue to attack all the PoC that tagged along with you.
6. Spend the rest of your days making duppy guitar music and constantly headline main events.

Could be her. Might not. I'm just at the point where I don't care enough to get worked up anymore.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Probably the same shit Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Christina Aguilera, Timberlake etc. all did. It's a proven successful model.

1. break out as a solo artist using black culture as a tool.
2. Become mad popular and take credit for starting long established trends.
3. Get angry when black people call you out.
4. A few years later, apologize by saying you were young and dumb (this apology is for the white community not the black community).
5. Be forgiven by the (white) media as they continue to attack all the PoC that tagged along with you.
6. Spend the rest of your days making duppy guitar music and constantly headline main events.

Could be her. Might not. I'm just at the point where I don't care enough to get worked up anymore.
I say it's a case of them being more culture vultures

when she literally changed her entire appearance not clothes wise to black fish

but I guess at the end of the day the principal is the same

Dec 2, 2017
She has responded to the new accusations apparently

"The whole time I was in Little Mix I never got any of that. And then I came out of [the band] and people all of a sudden were saying it. I wasn't on social media around that time, so I let my team [deal with it], because that was when I'd just left," Nelson told Vulture.

"But I mean, like, I love Black culture. I love Black music. That's all I know; it's what I grew up on. I'm very aware that I'm a white British woman; I've never said that I wasn't."

When asked whether she was deleting comments about Blackfishing on social media, she replied "I don't know about that. Maybe it was my team". Following the interview, it was confirmed by Nelson's publicist that her management had been deleting some comments and blocking users on Instagram.

"I know comments relating to this had previously been deleted from my IG account, I only found out afterwards that a member of my management team had deleted comments. I've spent years being bullied online, so I limit the amount I go on socials," Nelson said over email following the interview.

"My management team have access to my account and they were trying to protect me and my mental health."

Nelson cancelled follow-up interviews with Vulture to discuss Blackfishing, instead providing the statement: "I take all those comments made seriously. I would never intentionally do anything to make myself look racially ambiguous, so that's why I was initially shocked that the term was directed at me."

www.nme.com

Jesy Nelson responds to Blackfishing accusations following debut single

Former Little Mix member Jesy Nelson has responded to accusations of Blackfishing in a new interview last week.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Never heard of her until this. Looked up Google images of her and I would have thought she was at least mixed based on how she presents herself. That's….yeah.

Also, to have P. Diddy show up in the vid to give his stamp of approval, it's still a garbage song. I couldn't even make it though the thing. She's about 20 years too late for that remix.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I mean, Ariana Grande did it with 0 consequences to her career so its not hard to see why

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I just thought she was one of those overly done up Essex'y type girls, i think i'm just getting used to people being weird varieties of orange these days. looks wrong next to Minaj though.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
19 posts before someone threw the mental health crap. Embarrasing.

Last edited: