• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
www.vice.com

Amazon to Open $21 Million State-of-the-Art Warehouse in Tijuana Slum

Amazon will open a $21 million state-of-the-art warehouse in Tijuana, Mexico, that abuts a housing settlement made of cardboard, tarp, and wood scraps.

Pictured: Wealth trickling down

1631034588727-amazon-2.jpeg

This shit reminds me of Midgar

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
is that the current model? We have one being built in Louisiana currently. which is like 5 minutes from where i work.

also, its such a contrast next to the place next to it. on the opposite side it looks more flourished?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
is that the current model? We have one being built in Louisiana currently. which is like 5 minutes from where i work.

also, its such a contrast next to the place next to it. on the opposite side it looks more flourished?

We had a Dave and Busters + PGA Superstore in my area get converted into an Amazon warehouse, and yeah, the white+blue pattern seems to be the new hotness I guess.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Because of its proximity to the United States, the Mexican border is typically more expensive than the rest of the country, and the minimum wage is higher at roughly $10.70 USD per day. None of Mexico's nine Amazon warehouses are unionized.
Disgusting

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It's not that big. It's just comparatively to the tiny homes around it it looks humongous.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
is it one of those energy saving buildings? i don't see any solar panels on the roof or anything.

I'll have to scope it out next time I'm in the area.
It's actually kinda convenient to have there because there's a Kohl's literally across the street that takes Amazon returns, so I can get refunds fully processed in like 1-2 hours.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Those images of high rise condos with balconies are sickening. How do people even live with themselves seeing others so poor struggling right next to them.
I swear they must enjoy it to a degree. That's the world they want. That's what unrestrained capitalism is about. Take from others so you can enjoy watching them struggle.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Because it seems you are missing the point of the image and the contrast it presents.
I'm not missing anything, if the photo had been taken on the other side you'd have less of those small homes and more larger buildings (you can see a few buildings along the road running down the hill).

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not missing anything, if the photo had been taken on the other side you'd have less of those small homes and more larger buildings (you can see a few buildings along the road running down the hill).
"I'm not missing the point!"

Then immediately you resume showing how you missed the point...

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if you are intentionally being obtuse or just really do not get it. No one gives a shit about the size of the warehouse.

Gaucho Power

alt account
Banned
Feb 10, 2021
Does it have any windows? Why are these mega corps so eager to shield their workers from any natural light.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (2 months): Concern trolling, racist rhetoric, and stereotyping a country over a series of posts.
"I'm not missing the point!"

Then immediately you resume showing how you missed the point...
I can't tell if you are intentionally being obtuse or just really do not get it. No one gives a shit about the size of the warehouse.
I'm aware of the whole wealth disparity and obvious imaging that the photo shows off. I'm not dismissing the fact that there are very poor people living in and around that area.

To be honest, did anyone here really picture the location of an Amazon warehouse in Mexico to look any different than the photos in the article?

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
a lot of warehouses have been opening up lately. They're working on one that's like 10 minutes walking distance from my house where a big ass cornfield used to be.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Classic Latin American inequality

SbgXFdF.jpg
This reminds me of when I visited Beijing back in the late 90s, this was before all the preparations for the Olympics even started... Looked very much like that when I looked outside my hotel window. The other side was pretty much point-for-point what that photo shows.

That obviously all changed after the Olympics stuff began though.