• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Alright, story time. Yesterday I wanted to buy Dragon Ball FighterZ because it's on sale for $30. So naturally, I head over to the PlayStation Store and search "Dragon Ball", picked the first icon and bought it because well, I saw Goku on the cover.

Today after downloading I booted it up, pressed start game and... I was greeted by a character creation screen. Yeah, it's Xenoverse 2. After making my character and playing through the tutorial (15 minutes max), I realize I'm never playing this again because I know I won't like it.

What do you do in every single digital store in this scenario? Press the refund button on the store, but the PS Store doesn't have that, you have to contact support. I know there's a 1-time only thing for refunds, but I'd never used mine so (since I've played for 15 MINUTES) I didn't think there was going to be a problem.

Turns out that besides only getting 1 refund per account, you also need to have NEVER accessed the content you bought. What. The. Fuck.

This isn't so much for my case, since it was my fault in the end. But what happens when a game simply isn't what you expect it to be? What if they outright lie in the trailers? It's a stupid system and I can't believe that in almost 2019 this is a problem.

Nov 3, 2017
User Warned - Hostility
You're mad at them because you couldn't pay attention for a minute to make sure you were purchasing the correct product? Are you fucking dumb

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Like, you're right. The entire premise of your thread is right. I agree with everything.

But...how did you just blindly buy something without even reading the name of the game?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just escalate the call.

Also, always make sure you know what you are buying. What a bonehead move to just blind buy.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
The system absolutely needs to be overhauled because it's flawed as fuck. I don't particularly agree with your example though, I feel like if you bought the wrong product it's kinda on you.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Sony and Nintendo are quite backwards in this regard. It is amazing how even in 2018, they don't offer a similar refund system like Steam.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Like, you're right. The entire premise of your thread is right. I agree with everything.

But...how did you just blindly buy something without even reading the name of the game?
Oh that was entirely my fault lmao. I mean, I even missed it in the main menu, and it has DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE 2 in huge flashy letters.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cant you just hassle them til they give you refund? Just keep going up the chain of managers or whatever?

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Low level Sony support on the phone is bad. High level is very accommodating. Try escalation or an email.

I bought the 5 game God of War Saga on PS3 back in 2013 but never actually touched it until the beginning of this year. I opened it up and realized that the 2 PSP game remasters were digital codes... that expired, back in 2013. It doesn't mention they expire ANYWHERE on the game case whatsoever. Definitely my fault for letting something sit on my shelf for 5 years... but also false advertisement if you have looked at the front and back of this game case. Low level support wouldn't do anything for me, since naturally I didn't have a 5 year old receipt to verify my purchase. Politely asking to speak to someone else worked, they emailed a code for the two games.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree their refund policies are awful and consumer hostile, if you cannot pay attention for the minute it takes to purchase something then you deserve zero sympathy when you make a fool of yourself and waste your money
These are incredible expectations to levy upon a person. We make hundreds of purchases within our lifetimes, some of us probably a year. To think that we're going to be wired throughout that entire time on storefronts that become regular and familiar to us to make absolute sure what we're buying is what we wanted and that slipping up once and buying the wrong thing deserves "zero sympathy" is ridiculous.

Nov 3, 2017
This is incredible expectations to levy upon a person. We make hundreds of purchases within our lifetimes, some of us probably a year. To think that we're going to be wired throughout that entire time to make absolute sure what we're buying is what we wanted and that slipping up once and buying the wrong thing deserves "zero sympathy" is ridiculous.

You're actively search to purchase something you want and you can't give it even the mildest of care and thought? That's hilariously lazy and frankly pathetic

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I completely agree OP and I was actually only just looking into PSN refunds myself just last night.

I found the following article from earlier in the year that explains things well for all of the digital stores:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/03/how-to-refund-digital-games/

It sounds like all three of the consoles have some serious catching up to do with regards to refunds. Steam has it pretty spot on I feel with the way they do it and it would be great if the others could do something similar.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You're actively search to purchase something you want and you can't give it even the mildest of care and thought? That's hilariously lazy and frankly pathetic
Are you a Sony shareholder who hates the fact that refunds exist? Because I can't understand any other logical reasoning for you to insult and mock OP like this

Nov 3, 2017
User banned (5 days): repeated hostility across multiple posts, derailing, ignoring moderation warning
Good thing he has people like you to insult him for it over and over again.

I'm not insulting them personally, I'm insulting anyone who is dumb enough to throw their money at something and are paying so little attention they have no idea as to what they're throwing it at

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a joke. My friend bought Tennis World Tour at launch to play online as the game was constantly advertised as having online multiplayer as well in the game description. Anyway, game releases with the online mode having a "coming soon" banner over it in the main menu which they never announced. Then later on they said it would be out in a few weeks or whatever. My friend contacted support, told them the description was incorrect and they sold him a product which wasn't as described and they still refused to do anything about it.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While the circumstances are clearly avoidable or just lack of common sense, there's no reason why a company like Sony shouldn't provide an automated route for refund when it's obviously an honest mistake.

ps3ud0 8)

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Like I said in the post, this is MY FAULT. That isn't the problem, the thing is that Steams lets you refund any game if you've played it under 2 hours, and I think Xbox is the same. It's a stupid system.

Oct 28, 2017
This kinda reminds me of last week when my mom bought a used PS3 super slim for my brother for Christmas next week. He wanted a 500gb so my mom calls the store to them hold it for her.

She buys it later that week and takes it home and reads the receipt only to find out they gave her the 250gb version.

Moral of the story. Double check to make sure you're buying the correct item. It'll save you a lot of trouble and stress.

Sorry about your situation OP. It happens to all of us.

Nov 3, 2017
Like I said in the post, this is MY FAULT. That isn't the problem, the thing is that Steams lets you refund any game if you've played it under 2 hours, and I think Xbox is the same. It's a stupid system.

and I've agreed, it is absolutely stupid, I'm just replying to people who think that I'm popping off AT YOU and it's like nah I'm sure you're cool it's just mad dumb to me, I really don't get how you could do that

If this is the forum presence you want, you should at least learn to backpedal better.

You should learn what the phrase backpedal means

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Yeah that sucks OP but where could you return a physical copy if you opened it up and started playing it. Still Never buy digital unless it's from Mexico and cheap.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm not insulting them personally, I'm insulting anyone who is dumb enough to throw their money at something and are paying so little attention they have no idea as to what they're throwing it at
Ohhh so it's okay because you are insulting lots of people instead of just one person!

All over defending a company that doesn't even know you exist. That's pretty sad.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're providing such a valuable service, insulting and ridiculing people for making mistakes.
people make mistakes all the time but sony refund policy is not the problem, if your not paying attention and buy the wrong thing than its on you and only you.

Ohhh so it's okay because you are insulting lots of people instead of just one person!

All over defending a company that doesn't even know you exist. That's pretty sad.
op should get a refund but he is entirely at fault and fucked up. Nobody else is to blame not sony or Any other company.