• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Motherfucker. Just read the whole thing... I'm devastated she had to go through what she did, it sounds like absolute hell.

I love Soule's work, but the whole Northerner fiasco already soured me on him. He was advertising the release of a new album at the end of april, up until two days prior. It still isn't out.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Jeremy Soule is my milkshake duck. He's arguably the greatest Western video game composer of all time; his soundtracks for Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 are a masterclass in game composition. He's also allegedly a huge piece of shit. This lady brought receipts. I have no reason to doubt her account. Just disgusting.
Well THAT's a bit of a stretch man. Greatest of all time lol. Nah.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeremy Soule is my milkshake duck. He's arguably the greatest Western video game composer of all time; his soundtracks for Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 are a masterclass in game composition. He's also allegedly a huge piece of shit. This lady brought receipts. I have no reason to doubt her account. Just disgusting.
His works were hideous and vile all along. We just never realized it until now.

Once thought to be innocent, blissful soundscapes, they have now been recontextualized as the sadistic hums of a rapist.

Last edited:

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Damn, this is horrible. I love his work, but if this turns out to be true, he'll probably never work with games again. Way to fuck up your career, Jeremy!

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
The Elder Scrolls V OST is one of my favourite music album ever.

This is so disappointing.

I don't if i can listen to his music without thinking about the rape accusations now.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Dang this hits hard. I've loved his stuff since Secret of Evermore. I really like some of his stuff in GW 1&2 as well (though the GW2 expansions are better IMO).

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going to have to read this later.

Fuck this guy for what he did to these poor women. Some of the quotes posted here really sound like a cult leader.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
The work he composed for video games is based on this. He "needs women to inspire him"… there was so much of this, very uncomfortable inappropriate stuff (inappropriate even for friends), and it kept getting darker and darker.

Sexist, misogynistic, horrifying. I have a lot of his songs on my DnD playlists. Out they go.

I believe Nathalie, and I hope this brings her some measure of closure. I can't imagine living with this for something like ten years.

Apr 9, 2019
That's a depressing read. Sounds like she went through hell... I wish her and other victims strength.

Let's hope the support outweighs the potential fanbase outrage =( .

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It also hurts because not only did he do the soundtrack for the Elder Scrolls series, he also did the soundtrack for Star Wars KOTOR.

This freaking sucks. Why do you have to ruin your goodwill by being a piece of trash? And that poor woman! She had to live with this for so long and now has to face this head on.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Given how blatant he was, people who witnessed this better back Nathalie up.

And people can't even play the "love the music, not the man" card considering he straight up said he bases his music on what basically amounts to his sexual conquests

Disgusting

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really fucking sad when someone you admire ends up being a piece of shit.

Honestly, I... had a similar experience with someone whom I was friends with, which made the experience a lot worse. I'd lost contact, just due to people moving away from AIM and stuff. I found out they'd made himself a name in the industry years later, and once I found out they had a twitter account, I was considering reach out.

I'd hesitated for so long (years even) since I didn't want to seem like I was reaching out because of possibly "Wow, you're famous, we need to talk" or anything like that, just I... Really wanted to catch up and I remember us having a good time in our conversations online. I just thought fondly of them over the years as a friend.

Then all the stuff came out about them and now... I don't know.

Having said that, skimming through this is a bit... Jesus Christ. I literally don't know what else to say.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
One poses an actual threat, the other did something stupid. I'm pointing out that people are way nicer to a white serial rapist than a black man. Paid leave, for a serial rapist. Jesus.

If there are video evidence of the rape, I can gurantee you it would be different. It is just a stupid comparison you are doing, and have nothing to do with race. Jesus.

EDIT: And this person, convicted or not, will be shunned and judged by a large portion of his following (sure some dickheads, like a site which I wont mention, where they straight went and created a topic celebrating his music when this broke).

Last edited:

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
Given how blatant he was, people who witnessed this better back Nathalie up.

And people can't even play the "love the music, not the man" card considering he straight up said he bases his music on what basically amounts to his sexual conquests

Disgusting

Well, I do not entirely agree with that. Even though I know what his alleged sick inspirations are, I can still seperate that from the music I hear. It doesn't change the melody the instrumentation, the rythms. To me, it's still the same music as it was when I first heard it.

And I don't think it's that uncommon to separate the art from the artist. I think the Norwegian writer Knut Hamsun is a good example. He was a major Nazi supporter during WW2, but his literary works are still held in high regard.

But of course. If you can't make that separation, then I totally respect that.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Damn.
Oblivion helped me through a few hard weeks and its music had a special place in my heart.
Sure, art, not the artist, but it's impossible to enjoy his work knowing this. What a nasty human being.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was a hard and painful read. Jeremy Soule should not work (at least since I guess is too late for criminal charges) in this industry ever again.

I don't think I can ever listen again his music. Specially knowing what his inspiration is...

Last edited:

ZixlerBavala

Oct 29, 2017
Soule is my favorite game composer, but I hope he never gets to work on another game again. Guess I'll have to torrent his work as I've already done with Morrisey's.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Horrific read.

They should also be consequences for the CEO of her former company and her former Boss.

Fuck those guys and fuck Jeremy Soule

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I would wait, since it would be illegal to fire said person (in Sweden) before justice has been done.

Paid leave, yes, until everything is finished, and depending on the situation, come to an agreement of termination.

Illegal? How?

It's not illegal to fire someone in Sweden. You can fire whomever, and then paid him whatever severance package the law mandates.

Every day that he keeps on working on the company raises the severance package, even on paid leave, and the courts can take years and years to decide a case so what you propose is untenable.

But obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
He talked about the mystical power women hold over men with sex. How men are helpless and they need sex. How he needs sex, and a relationship, so he can write his music.
He talked about how composing is sexual, and how he will write about sex as inspiration in his music. He talked about how performing music is very sexual. He wrote songs about women that he had relationships with this way. What he does to women, is what inspires his music.

iu

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Illegal? How?

It's not illegal to fire someone in Sweden. You can fire whomever, and then paid him whatever severance package the law mandates.

Every day that he keeps on working on the company raises the severance package, even on paid leave, and the courts can take years and years to decide a case so what you propose is untenable.

But obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

If you don't have a justification then it is illegal, if you fire someone and pays severance package, then it is an agreement between the two parties.

Om du blir uppsagd av arbetsgivaren. Enligt lagen får en anställd inte sägas upputan saklig grund. Det finns två definitioner av saklig grund; uppsägning på grund av arbetsbrist och uppsägning på grund av personliga skäl. Om du missköter dig grovt kan du även bli avskedad.

Translation:
If you are terminated by the employer. According to the law, an employee may not be dismissed without due cause. There are two definitions of factual basis; dismissal due to lack of work and dismissal due to personal reasons. If you grossly misbehave, you may also be dismissed.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
She is really telling two stories, that she kinda thinks are related. The problem is, on one hand she is saying Soule took advantage of me and raped me, then goes onto talk about how crappy her bosses were and that Soule was somehow in the background pulling all the strings, but the only proof of her stories she has is her talking back and forth with them. She doesn't go into details about Soule or evidence that he was doing things in the background with them to make her job harder.
Seems you have joined this site today, purely to commentate on this particular news.
From a couple of your posts (including this one), it reads as if you're trying to downplay her experience, or otherwise discredit her side of the story.

If this is not the intention, please clarify. It just seemed a bit insincere considering the nature of the topic at hand...

Not trying to backseat-mod or anything. I'm genuinely curious as to what your angle is, and why you would take the time to register just so you could come in here with something akin to "What exactly is she trying to say? Does she have more evidence that he was a complete and utter piece of shit?"

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
If you don't have a justification then it is illegal, if you fire someone and pays severance package, then it is an agreement between the two parties.

He will have to take you to court and proof that you dismissed him without a cause, and then get a severance package anyway

What you can't do is having him on paid leave for years and years until his accusations are resolved in a court

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
He will have to take you to court and proof that you dismissed him without a cause, and then get a severance package anyway

What you can't do is having him on paid leave for years and years until his accusations are resolved in a court

Correct, usualy these things are handled, as you mentioned, with a paid severance package, or in full nuclear mode, "reorganization" where said person all of a sudden is out of a job (normaly done on smaller businesses where they wont have the money to pay for 1-2 years of salary).

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I breezed over it and was pretty disgusted. Does she go into detail regarding the incident itself, like did he drug her or something?

Oneiroi17

Jan 11, 2018
UK
Just...fucking hell. That was a hard read. I'm amazed (and pleased) she could eventually climb out of that dark hole to come back to games. I imagine a lot of others who have been through similar have never made it.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Man, what a bummer. Secret of Evermore's soundtrack is very near the top of my list of most nostalgic video game soundtracks ever.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
It's time for the gaming industry as whole to take a stand against shit like this and chase this fucker out.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck him. But man she is brave and awesome. I hope she gets some kind of justice.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was always something slimy about this guy after the Kickstarter debacle, but this is beyond the pale.

Words cannot express how disappointing this is.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I would wait, since it would be illegal to fire said person (in Sweden) before justice has been done.

Paid leave, yes, until everything is finished, and depending on the situation, come to an agreement of termination.

I don't know what kind of dystopia Sweden is, but this crime happened in Canada, and in Canada you can fire people if they pose a credible threat to employees' safety. In fact, you'd be liable legally if you knew an employee was a rapist and did nothing to prevent them from hurting others.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
7 billion people on this planet, no need to give people who act like this the time of day, plenty of amazing, AMAZING, video game composers as well. No company should feel the need to employ him again.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't know what kind of dystopia Sweden is, but this crime happened in Canada, and in Canada you can fire people if they pose a credible threat to employees' safety. In fact, you'd be liable legally if you knew an employee was a rapist and did nothing to prevent them from hurting others.

But he isn't convicted (or any investigations ongoing, that is known at least) right? Just word against word with A LOT of indictaments towards him, correct? Since in accordance to law, he is innocent until proven guilty.

Of course, due to all the indicatments, the company will solve his termination in one way or another, legaly, if it was in Sweden. My reply initialy was more straight to a accusation without any more then just that. This situation has much more then that, but purley legaly, the couldn't just fire him, unless they have evidence that he, as you say, is a danger to other employes.