• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
variety.com

Jeremy Roenick Claims NBC Firing Was Anti-Straight Discrimination

Roenick, who was fired after making vulgar remarks on a Barstool Sports podcast, also claims NBC retaliated over his support for Trump.

Hockey star Jeremy Roenick sued NBC Sports for wrongful termination on Friday, claiming the network discriminated against him as a straight man after he made off-color remarks on a Barstool Sports podcast.

Roenick also alleges that the network retaliated against him because he was an outspoken supporter of President Trump in 2016.

Roenick was let go after joking on the "Spittin' Chiclets" podcast about having a threesome with his wife and Kathryn Tappen, a coworker, in a discussion about a vacation in Portugal.

"I'm swimming with my wife and Kathryn, and they've got their bikinis on, and they look f—in' smokin'," he said on the podcast in December. "Ass and boobs everywhere. It's great."

Roenick also states that he asked Flood for permission to speak at the Republican National Convention in 2016. According to the suit, Flood responded: "I'm not saying what you can do. You know who you work for. You work for NBC. That would not look good on your NBC record."

The hockey star alleges that Flood subsequently made derogatory remarks about Trump to Roenick, such as "your boy is messing up this country." Roenick alleges that his support for Trump was one of the reasons leading to his firing.

More at the link.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
giphy.gif

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
Great hockey player, shithead human being.

His first book was an insight into his life and explains everything. Sure, he had to work hard to get where he got, but he never really grew up or matured. Go figure.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, you can't fantasize about fucking a coworker on a podcast and not expect to be fired. The hell is this guy smoking?

Disco Stu

Oct 27, 2017
Love how he's okay with the shit Trump says daily but gets his feelings hurt by someone saying "your boy is messing up this country."

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
lol trumpflakes get offended when someone dares to criticize their dear shithead

Oct 27, 2017
White fragility is one hell of a drug.

I wonder how the racists at HF are taking this news... probably already started a gofundme for this piece of shit.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
So I think you're mostly catching flak for things you chose, Jer. Like talking on air about wanting to fuck a coworker with your wife. Or supporting a racist internet troll with no substance for president. Choices bud.

Oct 27, 2017
I visit my local teams board from time to time and never noticed but is it common place there?
More-so on the mainboards but a lot of the team boards too since hockey's demographics skew male, white and conservative.

Every thread that deals with racism, misogyny or social issues on that board turn into an absolute mess. In the Akim Aliu thread, for example, posters explicitly defended Peters calling Akim Aliu the n-word and victim blamed while the mods stood by and ignored it. Same thing happened in the threads talking about racist abuse in the minor hockey system, Simmonds having the banana thrown at him etc.

I'd been a member there (same username as here) since 2013ish with over 40k posts and just grew tired of it. Finally called out the admins and mods in the Aliu thread for promoting and encouraging racist posters to run rampant and they permanently banned me almost immediately. It's a complete cesspool.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Is he trying to say that straight people get the benefit of being able to make lewd sexual comments ?

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
For too long have straight, cisgender males have had to suffer in silence. When will they finally get their due?

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Is he trying to say that straight people get the benefit of being able to make lewd sexual comments ?
He's saying "why does Johnny Weir get to make sex jokes without repercussions?"

Jeremy Roenick is an immature asshole who should have recognized joking about having a threesome with your coworker and wife on a national podcast is sexist and fucks Tappin over.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Obviously no one should be allowed to sexually objectify anyone regardless of orientation but the defense that "someone else did it so I should be able to" is really dumb. I thought Roenick was an amazing player but anyone that supports Trump comes with so much baggage that they have to be a totally shit person.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Is he saying that LGBT people get to say lewd comments but he can't? Those people just got the right not to be fired because of their orientation this year.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Researching this, dude was fired in Feb and vowed to be back bigger and better than ever. I guess those offers then fall fromt eh sky

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
He has something here. The law clearly states you cannot discriminate 'based on race, religion, political affiliation, and creepiness.'

JPLMD

Dec 25, 2017
Watched him growing up and always found him to be a great competitive player. Sad and angry that he's basically a POS in his personal life.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's rather unfortunate he thinks this is how straight men should act and be allowed to act. What makes it even more unfortunate, is that he's not alone with this.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
It's rather unfortunate he thinks this is how straight men should act and be allowed to act. What makes it even more unfortunate, is that he's not alone with this.

Not surprising. Considering when he played hockey in the 90s and 2000s the locker rooms are probably full of this sort of "jokes" from "alpha males".

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Not surprising. Considering when he played hockey in the 90s and 2000s the locker rooms are probably full of this sort of "jokes" from "alpha males".
Yeah I remember Teemu Selänne defending Roenick too when this went down. And Teemu usually tries to keep this pure, good guy image. Big with children's charities and all. Though Teemu was very vocal about sexual assault and harassment specifically from immigrants and refugees few years back, guess he still isn't going to call out his own buddies for inappropriate sexual behaviour.