• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
N64 Works: Wonder Project J2
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Wonder Project J2 retrospective: Ai no A.I. | N64 Works #005

The flip side of Midway's U.S.-oriented releases comes with one of the most unique games ever released for Nintendo 64 in Japan: Givro and Enix's Wonder Project J2. A simulation game of sorts, Wonder Project J2 tasks you with helping to rear a naïve robot girl named Josette, teaching her to become self-sufficient—and to integrate naturally into human society, while also helping to undermine the schemes of a military empire. That's a lot to ask for one waif, and her success is entirely up to you. Anyone who followed the N64 around the time of its launch remembers seeing this game plastered all over English-language magazines and websites, making it one of the best-known N64 titles to remain stranded in Japan.

Special thanks to "Ryu", whose excellent fan translation made this video possible! Check it out for yourself at https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1074/

Game Boy Works: In Your Face | Koro Dice
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
In Your Face / Koro Dice retrospective: Sham dunk | Game Boy Works #118

A portable gaming first—the first-ever handheld basketball game cartridge. Sadly, In Your Face is not precisely the game to lead the charge; it's more of a technical foul than anything else. Happily, the backup entry for this episode, Japan-only puzzler Koro Dice, is a pleasant diversion that makes up for it. Was I complaining about Game Boy puzzlers recently? Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking.

NES Works: Renegade
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Renegade retrospective: Shoulder-tossed in translation | NES Works #071

The NES's 1988 lineup begins with the debut of a gaming legacy. Renegade gave us both the River City/Kunio franchise AND the Double Dragon franchise, and given what lies ahead in the near future for both NES and Game Boy, we definitely need to have a look into the origins of these brawly species.

Special thanks this episode to Steve Lin and the Video Game History Foundation.
No Lorenzo Lamas here.

Game Boy Works Gaiden: Mr. Driller: DrillLand & The History of Mr. Driller
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Mr. Driller: DrillLand & The History of Mr. Driller | Game Boy Works Gaiden #05

I had intended to take a deep dive into the history of Mr. Driller once Mr. Driller 2 showed up in Game Boy Works Advance, but then Bandai Namco had to go and remaster the best game in the series before I got there. So I've jumped the gun a bit for this combination retrospective (of the franchise) and review (of Mr. Driller DrillLand). It's terribly self-indulgent and overlong, but I'm afraid that's just how it has to be.

Special thanks to GSK and Quintin Marcelino for their contributions to this episode, and to Bandai Namco for providing a review code of the U.S. release of DrillLand.

Metroidvania Works: Zelda II | Rygar | The Goonies II
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Zelda II / Rygar / The Goonies II retrospective: NES is more | Metroidvania Works #11

The metroidvania genre expanded greatly in 1987 as developers grew more confident in their design concepts and technology began to expand to accommodate their ambitions. Nintendo's Famicom/Disk System/NES platform proved to be especially fertile ground for innovation, as these three different takes on the format demonstrate. While you could arguably classify Zelda II, Rygar, and The Goonies II as action-RPGs, each one interprets that concept in unique ways. The one thing they have in common? They attempt to push the creative boundaries of the 2D platformer by shifting viewpoints and perspective at various times: Zelda II with an abstracted, Dragon Quest-inspired overworld view, Rygar with a Zelda II-style top-down action format, and The Goonies II with a first-person adventure mode.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I am looking forward to this episode. When LoZ landed in the video series it made me wonder if the sequel would show up because that is much closer to a Metroid game in some ways. Very interested to hear Jeremy's take on it in the Metroidvania context.

Metroidvania Works: Romancia | Ys | Legacy of the Wizard | Faxanadu
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Romancia / Ys / Legacy of the Wizard / Faxanadu retrospective: Falcom Works | Metroidvania Works #12

Metroidvania games and action-RPGs are closely intertwined, and perhaps no developer had more influence on the shape and direction of action-RPGs like Nihon Falcom. This episode is devoted to their follow-ups to the original Dragon Slayer and Xanadu... as well as an all-new property that would become one of the company's best-loved works. Though not all the games here fall into the metroidvania category, it's hard to deny that style of game would look quiet different without all the essential work Falcom did here.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I recognize that Astro Bomber Video(out of context spoilers for next weeks video).

Keep up the good work Jeremy. Cover everything. Can't wait for Pippin works.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
In no way trying to steal thunder from Retronauts, which is great, but it's probably of interest to anyone reading this thread that there's a new episode of Chrontendo (which is a long, long-running series that goes over every NES/Famicom game).

These were essentially on hiatus for a while (years!), so every new episode is a delight:

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
In no way trying to steal thunder from Retronauts, which is great, but it's probably of interest to anyone reading this thread that there's a new episode of Chrontendo (which is a long, long-running series that goes over every NES/Famicom game).

These were essentially on hiatus for a while (years!), so every new episode is a delight:

Man this is so nice to see. I kept up with every episode of Chrontendo for a while. Can't recall if I got up to where he eventually stopped. But it was so oddly addictive at the time - nothing else quite like it. Appreciate how it's quite a different style and focus (JP library) from Jeremy's project.

Game Boy Works Gaiden: Lynx 1989: Blue Lightning | California Games | The Gates of Zendocon | Electrocop | Chip's Challenge
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Lynx 1989: Blue Lightning / Cali. Games / Zendocon / Electrocop / Chip's Challenge | GBW Gaiden 06

Game Boy wasn't the most powerful portable on the market back in the early '90s—that was Atari's Lynx. Just what did Atari have to offer gamers in the place of international hits like Mario and Tetris? With this first Lynx-centric overview, we'll look at Nintendo's contemporary handheld competition and see what the most established name in gaming brought to the table for those who weren't content with murky green monochrome or portable platforms that could actually fit in a pocket.

This first Lynx summary covers the entire 1989 launch lineup of five games: Blue Lightning, California Games, Gates of Zendocon, Electrocop, and Chip's Challenge—all developed by Epyx (the company that had designed the Lynx hardware itself) and published by Atari.

Since the very beginning of Game Boy Works back in 2014, I've always intended to give air time to Nintendo's competition—if you were to hack into the GBW website database, you'd find Lynx and Game Gear releases tucked away in there, too (please do not hack into the GBW database). As we near the end of Game Boy Works 1990 and the arrival of Sega into the portable market, the Game Boy odyssey simply wouldn't be complete without an overview of what the system was competing with during its lifetime. So, Game Boy Works Gaiden will finally be expanding, as has always been intended, to encompass both Lynx and Game Gear summaries in parallel with the GB launch lineup. These extracurricular activities will show up FAR less frequently than the core episodes, as each Gaiden episode will contain three to five games apiece—and Game Boy saw many times the number of releases that its competitors did in any given year.
Something, something, small library meaning actual completion of series, yadda, yadda.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Even if you don't count the semi-official Telegames releases, Lynx lasted until 1995, and I'm going to be running episodes in parallel to GBWorks progression, so... completion is a long way away.

Game Boy Works: Double Dragon II | Scotland Yard
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Double Dragon II & Scotland Yard retrospective: Mean green streets | Game Boy Works #119

A second Double Dragon release for 1990 lands on Game Boy... except not really. In Japan, Double Dragon II was presented as an expanded remake of the original Renegade—which is to say, Kunio-kun's first adventure. Acclaim and Technos gave it a facelift for western release a year later, turning into a Double Dragon game in name if not in fact. Still, while this "sequel" lacks some fundamental essentials found in the arcade game, it does allow for simultaneous play—so that's something.

Also this episode: An equally rocky Japan-exclusive conversion of German board game Scotland Yard.

Special thanks this episode to my nephew Speedy Playz for his help with the two-player video capture. Please subscribe to his channel and help encourage him as he learns to create his own video projects! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrBY...
'Ello, 'ello, 'ello. What's all this, then?

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
tenor.gif

Game Boy Works Gaiden: Lynx 1990 (1 of 3): Paperboy | Klax | Roadblasters | Gauntlet: The Third Encounter
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Lynx 1990 (1 of 3): Paperboy / Klax / Roadblasters / Gauntlet Third Encounter | GB Works Gaiden #07

Our first of third Lynx overviews for 1990 looks at the system's own home-brewed arcade legacy... well, sort of. Here, arcade titles by Atari Games (the game design company) make their way to a system distributed by Atari Corp. (the home computer company). Does the close connection between the two make for memorable coin-op conversions, or is Atari's post-crash selloff a rift that could never be repaired?

Spoilers: It's the former. These are some excellent handheld adaptations of several popular arcade releases from the late '80s, performing at a technical level that far outstrips anything the Game Boy or Game Gear could manage. The one exception to this rule is the one arcade sequel (sort of) that was originally developed by Epyx as a completely different property. (It shows.)

Game Boy Works: Bubble Bobble | Chibi Maruko-chan
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Jeremy's fizzog now in frame full time, it seems.

Bubble Bobble & Chibi Maruko-chan retrospective: Shop 'til you pop | Game Boy Works #120

Ah, Game Boy: The system that ruled the world on the strength of both its portability and its support for multiplayer gaming. Remember Tetris? Remember Pokémon? Remember F-1 Race and its four-player adapter? So naturally, when Taito brought Bubble Bobble—a cooperative arcade game designed to be played (and only fully completed!) with a second player—to Game Boy, naturally they made heavy use of its link capabilities for teaming up with a friend, right? Uh... right?

Oh well. At the least the title screen music for this episode's import title rocks hard enough to make you forget your disappointment in Bubble Bobble.

And yes, this episode I've finally taken advice from years of drive-by commenters and have palced myself briefly on-camera, which is something I've considered doing for ages. We'll see if putting a human face in there makes this series more personable or appealing or whatever to the average viewer. Do people actually want to see THIS particular face? I don't know, but it's the best I can do to obey the rules of gaming YouTube without going full screamy-thumbnail.

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
I don't care if he puts his face or not. It was just surprising to suddenly see it after having watched his videos for years now.
He did it way back in his Paperboy 2 review, doing Seinfeldesqe schtick (comparing the music to the show's score) while simultaneously recording a promo for the FlipGrip Kickstarter.

I think he had more hair in it too.

I should also mention, I am now irritated that I've got the Maruko-chan theme stuck in my head.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
There was also this outro:

I have no more or less hair than I did then, I just used a really crappy webcam for the live bits of the new episode, and it suffers from a lot of unflattering distortion. I've upgraded to a proper DSLR for the most of episodes I've produced since Bubble Bobble.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
That Game Boy Bubble Bobble port :/ I hate games that zoom way in to compensate for the smaller screen; Super Mario Bros Deluxe on GBC, Sonic Advance etc. Makes playgin them such a chore.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
That Game Boy Bubble Bobble port :/ I hate games that zoom way in to compensate for the smaller screen; Super Mario Bros Deluxe on GBC, Sonic Advance etc. Makes playgin them such a chore.

Super Mario Bros Deluxe in particular is a tragedy to me, the game's extra content is REALLY cool, but the screen really messes with it.

I still hope someday we get a Super Mario Bros Deluxe Deluxe or something, just for the better screen size. I mean hell, I wonder how many Game Boy games would get massively improved by stuff like that in general! I swear you could make a drinking game out of how many times in game boy works, the screen size gets mentrioned as a huge problem!

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Super Mario Bros Deluxe in particular is a tragedy to me, the game's extra content is REALLY cool, but the screen really messes with it.

I still hope someday we get a Super Mario Bros Deluxe Deluxe or something, just for the better screen size. I mean hell, I wonder how many Game Boy games would get massively improved by stuff like that in general! I swear you could make a drinking game out of how many times in game boy works, the screen size gets mentrioned as a huge problem!

The real tragedy is that we still haven't gotten a proper sequel (or even a remake) to Donkey Kong 94. What a game! (Which also suffers from a zoomed-in view AFAIK).

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
DK94? Nah, some levels scroll, but the original 4 stages are single-screen. The gameplay was designed around a mix of fixed and scrolling stages.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair the first Mario vs DK was a sequal. I havent played both games in a while so I only remember thinking DK 94 was a masterpiece (I think I'm due for a replay for next year for DK's 40th anniversary actually!), but yeah its a damn shame the Mario puzzle platformer died... Would love to see more of them!

Last edited:

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Mario vs Donkey Kong a proper sequel to DK94?

I would say spiritual successor rather than sequel. That whole Mini shit just leaves a bad taste.

DK94? Nah, some levels scroll, but the original 4 stages are single-screen. The gameplay was designed around a mix of fixed and scrolling stages.

The later levels are the ones I meant. If the GB screen were bigger, those levels would have been single-screen like the rest.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Right, but what I'm saying is that those levels were designed with scrolling in mind—it wasn't some sort of limitation imposed on them afterwards to their detriment. Game Boy resolution wasn't a deal-breaker, it just required considerate design.

Game Boy Works Gaiden: Game Gear 1990 (1 of 4) Columns | Pengo | Super Monaco GT
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Game Gear 1990 (1 of 4): Columns / Pengo / Super Monaco GP | Game Boy Works Gaiden #08

As 1990 winds down for Game Boy Works, it's only proper to explore the major competitor that entered the Japanese market that fall: Sega's Game Gear. Where Atari's Lynx was too poorly supported and too region-specific to pose a serious threat to Nintendo's handheld dominance, Game Gear arrived just as Sega began its meteoric 16-bit ascent in the west. And this trio of Japanese launch titles—a set of arcade conversions running the gamut in terms of original vintage and play styles—demonstrates a canny understanding of what made the handheld gaming market tick. It's a strong debut showing for Sega as they positioned themselves to attack Nintendo's grip on the games industry on two fronts at once.

Special thanks to Stone Age Gamer for helping to make this series possible with their EverDrive-GG X7: https://stoneagegamer.com/everdrive-gg-x7-black.html

NES Works: Karnov
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Karnov retrospective: Rush 'n attack | NES Works #072

Coming on the heels of the NES's faithful home conversion of the not-so-faithful arcade localization of Kunio-kun/Renegade, we have Data East's almost-classic Karnov: The tale of a fire-breathing Russian strongman (who is actually dead) out to save the world from a dragon by toting around a ladder. A somewhat strange game in the Ghosts 'N Goblins/Wonder Boy II vein, Karnov doesn't quite hit the mark overall, but its NES conversion is surprisingly strong and includes a few welcome quality-of-life tweaks over the coin-op. As for localization, all we lost in the U.S. was the fact that main character Karnov was a big enough bastard in life to merit personal attention from the Hebrew god Himself.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the reason Karnov shoots fireballs is that he is a fire-breather or something?

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Some part of me wants to keep alive 30-year-old fanboy wars by griping how unfair it is for Jeremy's Lynx coverage to wind up as GameBoy Works Gaiden... but of course the actual content gives Lynx its due as a legit threat that just missed the mark. Latest video is up and also is fun: Ms. Pac-Man, Rygar, Rampage, Xenophobe.

Only one I didn't pick up at the time was Ms. Pac-Man. The other three I beat. I even played all the way through Rampage organically, even though there was a level-select cheat. When you spent all your money on a Lynx for college instead of a GameBoy (color! backlit!), you made sure you got your money's worth.

Rampage for Lynx as I mentioned has a pretty easy level-select cheat, you just hold one of the option buttons on a certain screen and push left or right to select your city, IIRC. It's also pretty interesting in that it has none of the arcade music, and in fact it's title screen music is the same music from an Epyx C-64 game called The Movie Monster Game which actually featured licensed monsters like Godzilla and look-a-like monsters like The Glog wrecking cities in an isometric perspective.

This makes Rampage kind of the last Epyx-feeling titles on the system, and the lack of their music talent would help make future releases seem more shallow. I'm enjoying the Lynx GameBoy Gaiden series so far but it did miss a bit of appreciation for that early Lynx music from the Epyx masters of the hardware. If you played with headphones the audio was in stereo, too. Composers Alex Rudis and Robert Vieira really made the system sing.

Anyways, great Lynx videos Jeremy. Thanks!

Game Boy Works Gaiden: Lynx 1990 (2 of 3): Ms. Pac-Man | Rampage | Rygar | Xenophobe
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Some part of me wants to keep alive 30-year-old fanboy wars by griping how unfair it is for Jeremy's Lynx coverage to wind up as GameBoy Works Gaiden... but of course the actual content gives Lynx its due as a legit threat that just missed the mark. Latest video is up and also is fun: Ms. Pac-Man, Rygar, Rampage, Xenophobe.

Only one I didn't pick up at the time was Ms. Pac-Man. The other three I beat. I even played all the way through Rampage organically, even though there was a level-select cheat. When you spent all your money on a Lynx for college instead of a GameBoy (color! backlit!), you made sure you got your money's worth.

Rampage for Lynx as I mentioned has a pretty easy level-select cheat, you just hold one of the option buttons on a certain screen and push left or right to select your city, IIRC. It's also pretty interesting in that it has none of the arcade music, and in fact it's title screen music is the same music from an Epyx C-64 game called The Movie Monster Game which actually featured licensed monsters like Godzilla and look-a-like monsters like The Glog wrecking cities in an isometric perspective.

This makes Rampage kind of the last Epyx-feeling titles on the system, and the lack of their music talent would help make future releases seem more shallow. I'm enjoying the Lynx GameBoy Gaiden series so far but it did miss a bit of appreciation for that early Lynx music from the Epyx masters of the hardware. If you played with headphones the audio was in stereo, too. Composers Alex Rudis and Robert Vieira really made the system sing.

Anyways, great Lynx videos Jeremy. Thanks!
Oh my, way to remind me that there's a new video out.

Lynx 1990 (2 of 3): Ms. Pac-Man / Rampage / Rygar / Xenophobe | GB Works Gaiden #09

This episode is all about the number three: Our third Lynx retrospective, and the second of three for 1990, looking at third-party licensed titles for the year. Of which there were... four. Well, close enough.

Perhaps even more so than the first-party Atari conversions from last episode, these four games really show off the strengths of the Lynx as a platform. Not only are all four games solid and mostly faithful interpretations of coin-op hits, there are one or two that might well be the definitive home adaptations of those particular properties.

Under examination this episode: Namco's (well, GCC's) Ms. Pac-Man, Midway's Rampage and Xenophobe, and Tecmo's Rygar. An eclectic mix of old and (for the time) new. Which ones fare well and which ones fare awesomely? Only by watching this video in its entirety will you know for sure.

(Please do not be alarmed by the presence of a human face introducing each game. He means you no harm and is merely attempting to game the algorithm.)

NES Works Gaiden: Atari 7800 1986 (1 of 3): Pole Position II | Dig Dug | Ms. Pac-Man | Joust
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
More Atari. Yay.

Atari 7800 1986 (1 of 3): Pole Position II / Dig Dug / Ms. Pac-Man / Joust | NES Works Gaiden #12

Before I dive into NES Works 1988 in earnest, it's time to set right a historic wrong of sorts. NES Works/Game Boy Works/et al. have focused primarily on Nintendo's legacy, but that has always been more a function of my personal time and resource limitations than any slight to Nintendo's peers in the console space. Now that I've launched my long-overdue Lynx and Game Gear retrospectives, there's no getting around the fact that the core console space deserves the same treatment as handheld gaming. And so, we rewind time about 18 months to mid-1986 this week to begin looking at the early days of the Atari 7800, the first console out of the gates to compete with Nintendo's NES in the U.S. It had a slow start, to say the least—it will only take three episodes of this length to bring these 7800 retrospectives to January 1988 in line with the current NES chronology!

It's hard to see this early 7800 lineup as serious competition to the NES—these few games feel very much like relics of an earlier era. That's because they are, of course. They're the games that would have launched alongside the 7800 in 1984 had Jack Tramiel not put the console on ice for two years. Viewed through that lens, however, the 7800's initial offerings were fairly impressive, and even in 1986 these were the best home ports available for all four of these arcade classics. Was that really the most compelling sales pitch for kids who were already immersed in Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt? Absolutely not! But even if timing and market realities tripped it up right off the starting blocks, the 7800 deserves respect.

Special thanks goes to Kevin Bunch of @Atari Archive for the hard work he's invested into sorting out the actual chronology of 7800 releases by researching magazines and newspapers of the late '80s, allowing us to pinpoint game launches to the month. His works is far more precise than the internet's existing 7800 release info, which is generally no more specific than by year... and often the wrong year at that.

NES Works Gaiden: Atari 7800 1986 (2 of 3): Asteroids | Food Fight | Robotron 2084 | Galaga
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Atari 7800 1986 (2 of 3): Asteroids / Food Fight / Robotron 2084 / Galaga | NES Works Gaiden #13

Our second look at the Atari 7800's release chronology takes us through the initial launch lineup and to its first post-launch title. On the whole, though, this set of games shares a lot in common with the previous episodes: Very good renditions of pre-crash arcade classics, dropped upon the world a little after their sell-by date. Don't let the unfortunate circumstances of the 7800's birth distract you, though; these are some excellent arcade conversions. A couple of them, most notably Food Fight, are arguably best-in-class caliber adaptations.

You may notice some changes in how this video is edited and presented compared to other videos. I've steadily been tweaking my approach over the past few months, and I was fortunate enough to have a free weekend to burn through tinkering with a few different concepts. It's coming along nicely, though as always, it could still use a bit more fine-tuning.
Surprised you didn't go with Game Gear this week, considering the 30th anniversary just game and went.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I played a lot of Robotron on my Atari 800XL. I have no idea how I managed to do it with one joystick. Maybe holding the fire button down let you keep firing in that direction and let you strafe? It's been so long, I forget how it worked.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I gave it about a month to really let it settle and avoid just giving my gut reaction, but even after all this time, I just have to say that I don't feel like the inserts of Jeremy really work. Like, I know that Jeremy's opinions of these games obviously influence how each episode is written, but Video Works never felt like a "personality-driven" series, and that the lack of an on-screen presenter just felt like the more natural fit for these videos. The inserts just don't feel like they add anything, especially for a video series that really leans towards substance over style. Also, there's that common youtuber problem where the audio is way worse when they're on-screen than when they're in narrator mode.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
There are no hard feelings. That was an "oh well" for your sake, not mine, as I'm satisfied with the revisions I've been making and don't intend to walk them back.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of criticism, will you ever fix those two wanton dots in the game name overlay? They've been there, taunting my OCD ever since you started the series
FqLArk6.png