• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
i really love the works series, thanks for all your effort jeremy "jezza" parish
Jezza:

zGHK6Ax.gif

Wait, wrong one.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Watching the latest video, The Evolution of NES Fandom. A fantastic topic and really enjoyable video.

Quick question, some of the archival footage was sourced from "Saving The Video Game". I'd love to watch the original sourced material as well, but a Google search doesn't turn up anything titled as such. JeremyParish where should I be looking for this?

NES Works Gaiden: Mega Man Legends
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
This better not lead to the start of yet another thing you'll never finish, Jeremy.

Mega Man Legends retrospective: Ten true summers | NES Works Gaiden #12

I've been taking a different approach to video production while we're all hunkered down for the pandemic. Some people cope with booze or by binge-watching; I cope by making videos about games I love. Case in point: Mega Man Legends for PlayStation, which is well outside the scope of Video Works... but I'm let it kite along in the slipstream of the recent NES Mega Man retrospective. It's an incredible game—a personal favorite. So, please: Just roll with it.
I should also mention why you didn't bother to correct the "Episode 11" error in the video.

Another Error: Minions and by large Despicable Me are not by DreamWorks, but Illumination.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the Mega Man Legends video. Perfectly encapsulates what's so great about the game.

The game feels so ahead of its time in terms of setting and making the 3D world feel cohesive.

N64 Works Gaiden: Final Fantasy VII
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Final Fantasy VII retrospective: Premake | N64 Works Gaiden #01

I said we'd be jumping over to N64 Works, and I meant what I said... it's just that it's happening, uh, gradually. In this case, we're defining the shape of N64 by what wasn't there: Specifically, one of the biggest and most popular games of the late '90s. One part historic overview of the business politics of the N64 era, one part look back at the compelling introductory design of Final Fantasy VII's opening chapter, you'd better believe this video was basically just an excuse for me to play a classic game from outside the bounds of the Video Works project in an effort to bolster my spirits during the age of social distancing.

*Aerith.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I've really liked these past 2 episodes but Jeremy do you regret not just making this series "Deep dives into games I like" from the start instead of continuoally cursing yourself to puzzle, pachinko & shit-game hells

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Nah, the boring stuff makes the good stuff all the more satisfying.

Virtual Boy Works in particular was a very interesting series because of the mediocrity or bad games with a couple of highs mixed in. Made for a fun experience if you didn't know about most of the library aside from the more notorious games.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it!

I'm definitely more of a lurker than a commenter, but I just want to say thanks for all the work you put into these videos. I have absolutely loved your articles from back when I was still in high school and college all the way until your videos on Youtube. There have been sad times throughout the years but your passion and work, whether it's your articles or videos, have made those sad times happier for me and I am sure this is true of many of your other viewers and readers.

Game Boy Works: Battle Bull | Navy Blue 90
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Battle Bull & Navy Blue 90 retrospective: Not so bullish | Game Boy Works #116

They say you have to walk before you can run, and in Game Boy Works, we need to slog through some mediocrity before we get to the good stuff. Neither of these games is terrible by any means; Battle Bull feels like an update to Sega's Pengo or Irem's Kickle Cubicle, while Navy Blue 90 is, y'know, Battleship. However, both end up being let down by some questionable creative choices and frustrating technical issues. Neither lives up to its real potential.

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Big bonus video, because if you know Jeremy, you'll know why Heiankyo Alien is a big deal to him.

A true video game ephemera classic, this audio cassette was distributed by publisher Meldac to promote the U.S. release of Heiankyo Alien for Game Boy. Given Meldac's legacy as a jazz label, it should come as little surprise that this tape is loaded with fantastic chip tunes (featuring "Multi Matrix" audio) and a great cover with live instrumentation. The B-side features what appears to have been a recorded message played to customers who called a 900 number, presented in the style of a schlocky 1950s alien invasion radio play. Please enjoy this incredibly clean rip of a 30-year-old cassette (the one pictured here)!

Special thanks to John Andersen of @SavingTheVideoGame for sharing the scans included here of Meldac's promotional mailing for the game!

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
I'm surprised he never made a Gaiden for Dragon Quest, considering the title debuted 1987 and it's effects on Japanese video games will have a huge ripple for the entirety of the NES lifetime.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised he never made a Gaiden for Dragon Quest, considering the title debuted 1987 and it's effects on Japanese video games will have a huge ripple for the entirety of the NES lifetime.
He'll be getting to it eventually anyway, and I imagine that context will be covered extensively there.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Remind me when eventually should be? Because didn't Dragon Warrior debut in NA in 1989?
Removing compilations/rereleases, there's about 110+ games to get through before it.

We'll actually hilariously be seeing the Ultima III conversion that was inspired by Dragon Quest's framework (after Dragon Quest itself was heavily influenced by Ultima) long before we get to Dragon Quest itself.

Chewie

Nov 29, 2017
Hungary
The music on this Heiankyo Alien promotional casette slaps really hard.

I've never even heard about this before, but it seems like a legacy game.

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
The music on this Heiankyo Alien promotional casette slaps really hard.

I've never even heard about this before, but it seems like a legacy game.
The history behind Heiyankyo Alien dates way back, as in around the very start of Japanese game development, and proved to be the foundation of plenty a game, including, what Jeremy may argue, being a major influence on Pac Man. The music you're hearing is from the remake portion of the Game Boy port.

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Sponsered content now?

Missile Command: Recharged—Recapturing the Arcade Spirit

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of arcade classic Missile Command, Atari and Nickervision Studios have given the game a modern facelift with Missile Command: Recharged. In this sponsored video, I take a look at the Switch version to explore how its dual-interface option and compelling power-up gameplay loop help make Recharged one of the few home adaptations of Missile Command to truly capture the spirit of the original.

++++++++++++++

Fire missiles to protect your bases! The arcade classic is back and recharged!

Missile Command: Recharged is a re-imagining of the beloved classic with fast-paced, arcade action where players must defend their bases by blasting an endless barrage of missiles hailing from the sky. Launch counter-missiles to protect your base and target power-ups to gain an edge at critical moments. Missile Command: Recharged will appeal to those that fondly remember playing the original or its many iterations, and a whole new generation of gamers that are looking for fast-paced, pick-up-and play, arcade goodness. Available now on Nintendo Switch, PC, Mac, Linux and Mobile.

Nintendo Switch: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail...

App Store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/missile...

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/12...

Epic: https://www.epicgames.com/store/produ...

nfreakct

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to post here out of lurker mode that this is by far my favorite podcast and Youtube series in existence. Keep up the great work Jeremy, I've been endlessly relistening to the Gameboy Works years while working out during the pandemic!

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
My wife's photo business has been completely shut down for three months now due to the pandemic, so if anyone wants to create a good video game and hire me for an honest assessment of it, I'm OK with that.

Metroidvania Works: Metroid | Vampire Killer | Milon's Secret Castle
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Metroid / Vampire Killer / Milon's Secret Castle retrospective: Namesake | Metroidvania Works #009

Finally! The Metroidvania Works series arrives at the games that lent the genre its name... or at least early entries in those games' franchises. Metroid brings us the first real taste of the exploratory action platformer, with a complex world that players unlock and explore by upgrading their hero(ine). Meanwhile, Vampire Killer on MSX adapts the NES classic Castlevania to a PC-style framework with (temporary) item collection and intra-stage exploration. And finally, Milon's Secret Castle applies the "search everywhere for invisible items" philosophy of mid '80s action games to a contiguous, freely traveled world containing multiple self-contained stages. None of these are quite metroidvania games yet... but we're getting there.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
I still remember renting Milon's Secret Castle as a kid and being so profoundly confused by it. In hindsight, I had every right to be. That game is obtuse!

N64 Works: Mortal Kombat Trilogy | Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Mortal Kombat Trilogy & Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey Retrospective: MKUltra | N64 Works #004

N64 Works shifts into third gear—third-party gear, that is—with a pair of games that I am wholly unsuited to break down. So instead, this episode dives into the history surrounding them: The so-called N64 Dream Team, the checkered relationship between Nintendo and Mortal Kombat, and what this version of Trilogy says about the N64 when held side-by-side against the PlayStation release.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Wayne Gretzky is fantastic fun in 4 player. I've never even seen a hockey game in my life yet my friends and I still played the hell out of it. One of the more overlooked multilayer games on the system.

Game Boy Works: RoboCop | Play Action Football
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
RoboCop & Play Action Football retrospective: Gridironman | Game Boy Works #117

Nintendo publishes a football game, and an arcade hit comes to Game Boy after being filtered through the soupy green monochrome of the Amstrad CPC. They're not great! This is not fulfilling video game content! Let's hurry through and get along to the next. OK, thank you, please drive through.
Video game version of Nukem when?

Update: Having actually gotten to watching the episode now, Jeremy does not hold back in relation to brutal pigs being brutal pigs in the RoboCop segment.

Last edited:
Metroidvania Works: The Wing of Madoola | Relics | Zillion
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
The Wing of Madoola / Relics / Zillion retrospective: Side quest | Metroidvania Works #010

This week, we take a little bit of a sidebar between the genre's foundational works (that is, Castlevania and Metroid) and the major works ahead in 1987. These games covered in this episode do not constitute critical contributors to the genre; nevertheless, the ideas seen here speak to some solid instincts. We'll see more refined takes on these concepts further along, but for now, here are some noble efforts that don't quite nail it.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
I was wondering if Zelda II was going to get tackled in this series. Looks like I won't have to wait much longer!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Should've mentioned the SMS Light Phaser's look inspired the Zillion anime gun's look and later the laser tag gun's look. For the longest time I thought it was the other way around. That's what I get for listening to people on the internet. 😉