• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Jeremy is capable of creating compelling videos about such FDS titles as I Am A Teacher: Super Mario's Sweater and Miho Nakayama's Heartbeat High School, but I'm not sure he wants to go down that rabbit hole.
Still, it'd be fun even if only for looking at the differences between Zelda and Metroid on cart. There's lots of intetesting curiosities on FDS and it's not an insurmountable library either.

Can't be worse than Game Boy Puzzle Purgatory can it?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I'd second the request. Actually I'd like to see a FDS Works series in general. You totally have time/money/willpower for that right?

A "Famicom Works" that encompasses both Disk System releases and notable cartridge releases that didn't make it to the west would be neat.

Heck, Mr. Parish could go in and rebrand the Otocky Retronauts Micro video as the first in the series if he saw fit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
lol I only mentioned the Monty on the Run music because it was the first piece of C64 Rob Hubbard music that I found on YouTube and really liked. Never heard of the game before then.

But as a guy in the US who's interested in the European computer scene, I'd love to see more about the game, including the FDS one. It would be an interesting look into both the EU and JP gaming scenes.

OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Doesn't YouTube now allow for you to add a button onto your video's page now, directing you to your Patreon? I'm sure you could get a few more patrons that way given the greater visibility of such a thing allowing for that, and not just another http text based link.

Super NES Works: R.P.M. Racing
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
R.P.M. Racing retrospective: High resolution, middling evolution | Super NES Works #020

A fascinating bit of Super NES technology fails to match its one-of-a-kind visual approach with equally unique gameplay. There are probably worse racers on the system, but R.P.M. Racing feels particularly disappointing given the unconventional graphical approach it takes and the impressive legacy that lay ahead for developer Silicon & Synapse. It one-of-a-kind bit of tech for Super NES, and it includes the system's first custom level creator complete with battery back-up, but it just isn't fun.

Super NES Works: Final Fantasy II (part 1)
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Final Fantasy II retrospective (Pt. 1): Active-Time Babble | Super NES Works #021 Pt. 1

This first of a multi-part look back at the original U.S. release of Final Fantasy IV explores the history behind the game and the significance of its innovative combat engine, the Active-Time Battle System

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I have been following the Works series for a couple years, and it's some phenomenal gaming history work. Well narrated and presented, almost like a audiovisual museum exhibit.

I will definitely resub to his Patreon when I can, I think these videos are not only entertaining, but important work.

Edit: oh shoot, JeremyParish himself is in here! May I ask if you have a general roadmap planned out for the rest of 2018 as far as what playlist(s) you're going to invest the most time in? Apologies if you have discussed this somewhere already and I have missed it.

Last edited:
Super NES Works: Final Fantasy II (part 2)
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Final Fantasy II retrospective (Pt. 2): The revolution, televised | Super NES Works #021, Pt. 2

The middle chapter of this in-depth Final Fantasy II retrospective leaps from the game's innovative play mechanics to its equally striking approach to storytelling. By using all aspects of the game to relay its narrative, Final Fantasy II changed the way RPGs (and games!) integrated plots and characters into their design.

Super NES Works: Final Fantasy II (part 3)
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Final Fantasy II retrospective, Pt. 3: Ludonarrative Lunarians | Super NES Works #021 Pt. 3

And here at last we reach the end of this retrospective saga with a look at how Final Fantasy's fourth installment reworked the raw materials of its 8-bit predecessor to present a new and completely holistic take on the role-playing genre.
Next week...YEAAAAAAAAAAH!

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Going through the Super Nintendo Works Year 1, and Jeremy needs to fix the playlist, so that it can be viewed in chronological and not only reversed chronological order. The content is amazing though, really enjoying it so far.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Yes. And I would double my NF patreon pledge instantly if you would conscript him for a recurring feature.

Super NES Works: Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts retrospective: Live. Die. Repeat | Super NES Works #022

The Makaimura/Ghosts 'N Goblins series makes its debut on a third Nintendo console, and yeah, it's every bit as harsh as you'd expect. But is the beauty of the game's visuals and the intense satisfaction of finally reaching the next checkpoint enough to make it worth the suffering?
In light of Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts being reviewed, let's all listen to the Ghosts 'N Goblins song...

[listens to song] "These punk ass bitches straight up prevented my dinner"...yeah...these lyrics aren't as fun as I remember them these days, given their context.

Super NES Works: Darius Twin
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Darius Twin retrospective: Sashimi-grade shooting | Super NES Works #023

Taito arrives on Super NES with a splash. Well, it should be a splash... you know, because of all the fish bosses. But they're actually in outer space? Darius is weird. But that's OK, because this Darius balances its quirkiness with the silkiest, smoothest action yet seen on the console. It's the cure for the common slowdown, and all it took was... not using any of the console's unique hardware features. Oh well!

Super NES Works Gaiden: Shubibinman Zero
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Shubibinman Zero retrospective: Punch-drunk love | Super NES Works Gaiden #02

Not every publisher is out to block access to obscure, lost, or forgotten games. Thanks to Columbus Circle, the fourth and final entry in NCS's Shubibinman (Shockman) series received a physical release 20 years after making its debut as a downloadable exclusive for Nintendo's long-abandoned Satellaview service. And best of all, it's a pretty fun little game that deserves to be remembered. Warms the ol' heart-cockles, it does.

NES Works Gaiden: Holy Diver | R-Type Collection
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Holy Diver & R-Type Collection overview: The reissue of the beast | NES Works Gaiden #09

Another new-old release this week—two, actually. And unlike Shubibinman Zero, these are launching in the U.S. Clone console maker Retro-Bit has also gotten into the licensed repro cart business and seem determined to do it up right with two reissues of rare, pricey games packed in overstuffed collector's edition boxes at a pretty reasonable price. Of the two, Holy Diver for NES is the most interesting, since unlike the R-Type games it has never seen an official U.S. release until now. And it'll probably be another 29 years before any of us beat the thing without cheats...
TPudHDj.gif

Also, in light of the announcement of the new Streets of Rage, I thought it would be interesting to throw in this tweet by Jeremy about how far we've come around to appreciate 2D sprite based games again.

Metroidvania Works: Montezuma's Revenge
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor

Metroidvania Chronicles gets a new name and look, but it's the same old retrospective journey through the evolution of exploratory action-RPGs and platformers all the same. This time we jump ahead to 1984 and Utopia's treasure-hunting pyramid platformer Montezuma's Revenge. Other games of note this episode: Pharaoh's Curse, Spelunker, Jet Set Willy.
The portmanteau still sucks, Jeremy (sorry)! And I refuse to paste it outside of a quote box. So no title for this post.

NES Works: Trojan
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Trojan retrospective: Apocalyptic measures | NES Works #036

The NES's third year in America kicks off in fine style with Capcom's Trojan, a fairly faithful (and slightly enhanced) conversion of a Kung-Fu style arcade hack-and-slash brawler. It's an interesting nexus for Capcom's history, and a promising start for NES's 1987 lineup.

Also, you can learn more about the BX90 controller by contacting Benj Edwards directly through Twitter: https://twitter.com/benjedwards
Also, important announcement at the end of the video.

NES Works: Pro Wrestling | Soccer | Volleyball
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Pro Wrestling | Soccer | Volleyball retrospective: Amazon delivers pain | NES Works #037

We're reaching the end of Nintendo's Black Box series of releases, and Pro Wrestling shows why: The NES library evolved beyond the basic experiences contained within the early Black Boxes. In this case, we have a remarkably well-designed wrestling game loaded with personality and memorable characters. Quite a change from all those earlier NES wrestling games...

Also in this episode: Brief looks at Soccer and Volleyball.
Did someone say...TRI...IN A WRESTLING CONTEXT!?

B_gGCZ6VAAIyKhQ.png

Segaiden: Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Oh boy, new limited series from Jeremy! Let's hope M2's work is never ending.

Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog overview | 'Hog wild | SEGAiden 01

There's more to video game history than just Nintendo, and in this Video Works offshoot, we'll take occasonal looks at essential classic games from SEGA—both historical releases and current reissues. This debut episode is a little of both, intersecting with one of SEGA's most important creations ever and developer M2's attempt to pay it tribute with a new remaster for Nintendo Switch.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Great vid. Looking forward to more. Not a big Sonic fan but I might buy this to support the series and M2 right out of the gate. Gain Ground is the first one I'm really interested in getting.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
I have messed around with it a bit on the SUGC. I want to support the arcade release. I am just loving the fact that so many arcade classics are being give new life right now in various ways. Never thought we'd see VS SMB or the real version of Donkey Kong on digital storefronts, but here we are.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
When are we going to start seeing the Virtual Boy works episodes?

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
How did I never see these? /thinking emoji

Will be checking some out for sure. I'm fond of the 1up Jeremy/Shane era, but I'm excited to see Retronauts in video form.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I have a reservation placed for the Virtual Boy RGB-out mod kit, so it comes down to when my order comes up in the queue and when I can get someone to install it for me.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Yes. Pretty much the only series that could be completed more quickly would be SuperGrafx Works.

Speaking of which, that'll happen as soon as I can find and photograph the complete SuperGrafx set.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
NGPC was 80+ games! And it's apparently nearly impossible to mod the system for video output. I'll do Lynx (70 games) first.

Speaking of which, that'll happen... man, I don't know. I got mouths to feed.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
As a handheld collector myself who dabbles in those circles I can tell you that I know far more people with complete NGPC collections than Lynx. Pre internet obscure systems just made collecting a pain and there is something about the late Atari systems where people didn't care and the print runs were tiny.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Cool bump! Coincidentally, I just finished NES works 1985 and am now on 1986. His channel is pretty awesome. So awesome, I bought his two NES Works books on fangamer. Should be getting them in the next couple of weeks. I'll share pics and impressions if anyone is interested.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
A WonderSwan / WonderSwan Color Works would be interesting as a Gaiden project, although I have no idea how big those libraries were. Also, I'm sure that's the last thing Jeremy needs to tackle: a video series for a system that never came out in North America. On the other hand, it was Gunpei Yokoi's final project after leaving Nintendo right?

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
The Sega Ages popped up in my feed all day yesterday. Didn't realize it was Jeremy.

Watching tonight after I put the toddler to sleep. She won't let me watch anything game related. Its nonstop Baby Shark when I get home from work until her bedtime.

Speaking of port begging: Jeremy, please get Dr. S. Back on retronauts sometime! I'm sure he has loads of time to do it ;)

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I often want to punch myself for letting go of my now-pricey NGPC collection ;_;
I really wish I had gotten into Neo Geo Collecting earlier, I had a lofty goal of getting every game in the collection at one point. Managed to get 20 boxed games but the price of some titles has made me give up on that.

At least I have a boxed copy of Cotton to retire on I guess

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I really wish I had gotten into Neo Geo Collecting earlier, I had a lofty goal of getting every game in the collection at one point. Managed to get 20 boxed games but the price of some titles has made me give up on that.

At least I have a boxed copy of Cotton to retire on I guess
I was buying almost every NGPC game back when it was new and no one gave a crap. Cotton, Rockman, Gals Fighters, the Metal Slugs... but I had to downsize that collection (and stuff like Snatcher, EarthBound, Panzer Dragoon Saga) in order to relocate across the country multiple times, back before they were all anywhere near their current value. Sigh.

Would Kevtris happen to have a NGPC FPGA core prepped up for a future clone console?
No one knoooooows

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I sold off pieces of a nearly complete NGPC collection at what were good prices at the time.

The biggest thing I probably should have held onto was the thirty or so NGPC+6 game packs I got for 5 bucks each. I just handed most of those out as favors.

ParsnipForest

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Great Sonic vid. I love M2's work but I'm not sure I'll download every single SEGA AGES title like I did with the 3D Classics on 3DS. Paying another $10(AU) for Sonic, when I already own a perfectly good handheld version (and approx. 1,000 console versions), would feel like buying it for the sake of buying it, and I'm trying not to do that anymore. Phantasy Star, though? Day. One. I've wanted to finish that game for years and portability + auto-mapping = the perfect version for me.

I'm personally getting out of collecting. I purged a bunch of stuff at the start of the year due to lack of space and it felt good. I only keep games I plan on playing in the near future or have some sentimental value, which means a tiny Master System, Mega Drive and Dreamcast collection, along with some NGPC and PS3 stuff (all in storage). Zero ephemera or branded tat.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
As a handheld collector myself who dabbles in those circles I can tell you that I know far more people with complete NGPC collections than Lynx. Pre internet obscure systems just made collecting a pain and there is something about the late Atari systems where people didn't care and the print runs were tiny.

Well I don't have any boxes any more but I still have the books (and/or posters) for most of my Lynx games. Still got the little hand-written notebook with level codes, too. Lynx games never had room for batteries, though sadly last time I busted out the system itself I found I had stored it with batteries in it that leaked and took out the Option 1 and Pause buttons. :(

Been thinking about hitting up one of those retro wizards for a combined repair/modern LCD installation. Or just , you know, move on. I dunno. I don't think I have it in me to play to the end of Gauntlet: The Third Encounter or Electrocop more than once per lifetime. YOU can do it Jeremy lol I'll just watch.

NES Works: Slalom
OP
OP
Nerdkiller

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Slalom retrospective: Rare's slippery slope to fame | NES Works #038

We bid farewell to the Black Box era of Nintendo games even as we welcome an NES powerhouse into the fold. Slalom sees UK developer Rare make its console debut with a high-speed downhill racing game and the most carefully rendered video game man-butts this side of Metal Gear.
YOU STOLE MY SIMPSONS JOKE, JEREMY!

AJxJEp6mPERvHN9oM-DrgkAvTn8=.gif