• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Who is being hurt by bad games getting limited edition physical releases? Is the problem that if you buy some and not others you won't have them all and so the numbers in the collection will have gaps?

None of that matters to me but it does matter to the collectors and resellers who've been cultivated and pandered to by LRG to buy all this crap sight unseen, and they're the people who make it a pain in the ass for people genuinely interested in buying a particular game to get a copy. LRG's far from the only publisher pulling this bullshit but they definitely had a hand in normalizing it in the indie space.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
No no no. Jeremy is going to do a Game Boy version of Klonoa Moonlight Museam and it will come me packaged with a Game Boy Flip Grip for the Tate visions!

Seeing Jeremy's love of TATE mode games result in more of them getting LRG releases could be really cool! They could even link arms with Fangamer and offer bundle options that include a Flip Grip for anyone who doesn't yet own one.

parski

Nov 13, 2017
But what is he watching after Gundam? Nobody heard what that butchered Japanese was trying to be.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what's being argued here. It seems like you're saying collectors are bad because they buy all the copies making it hard for regular players to get copies of the games. But we're specifically talking about bad games no one wants to play, so there are no such players. If that wasn't the point then I misunderstood you.

I'm saying those people buy everything indiscriminately, good or bad, and that LRG's increasingly frequent schedule (which, by necessity of volume, includes a lot of garbage) has attracted so many of them that it not only makes their good games a pain in the ass to buy but it's also irrevocably molded how they release games. All those crappy releases have honed their ability to manufacture demand, which in turn makes the genuinely popular stuff even harder to get.

I don't think it's purely cynical--they're clearly really into a lot of the stuff they do that I find corny, and they like to talk a big game about preservation even if it does come across as a fig leaf--but it's always a drag to hear they got their hands on something I might want because I know it's going to be a bloodbath and I know they don't give a shit because their core customers are loving it.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
"The good stuff" tends to have a two-week open preorder, as do 100% of all Switch games. It's only the LEs that can be problematic. I really don't see the issue here. Every once in a while there's a Polybius that sells far more quickly than expected, but for most games the buying frenzy seems to be over.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I'll take your word for it, it's not like I keep constant tabs on what they do, I just check in when I want something and it's a coin flip as to whether I can get it or not. Maybe the increased frequency of releases is wearing the collectors down, and if so, viva la trash.

Sorry for the derail, none of that really has much to do with Jeremy. I'll be curious to see precisely what they're having him do over there, hopefully it's a little more substantive than puff pieces.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, been a fan going back to the Wii VC days. Through the video works series he's been able to get me interested in games that I wouldn't care for otherwise. I hope this is fruitful for both of them.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That seems like a dream job to me. I'd love to have the time to create detailed pieces on developers around the world! He's going to do an amazing job for sure. Very smart move on their part! Jeremy is the best!

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take your word for it, it's not like I keep constant tabs on what they do, I just check in when I want something and it's a coin flip as to whether I can get it or not. Maybe the increased frequency of releases is wearing the collectors down, and if so, viva la trash.

Sorry for the derail, none of that really has much to do with Jeremy. I'll be curious to see precisely what they're having him do over there, hopefully it's a little more substantive than puff pieces.
As long as you know when pre-orders go up and don't miss the two week window, it's pretty much impossible not to get what you want from LRG these days, outside of Collector's Editions.

I used to hate how LRG operated, but things are fine now. Anyone can order a copy of a game they're interested in without issue.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I used to hate how LRG operated, but things are fine now. Anyone can order a copy of a game they're interested in without issue.

You have to be quite on the ball though. I found out about the Divinity Switch they did the day after it closed pre-orders. That's it, I'm out, no chance. Plus, being in the UK, I can't get to Best Buy.

I had assumed a game of the calibre was getting a normal pressing regardless and had held on for it. Coming across its LRG listing was pure galling chance.

Then again, that is the normal way for enthusiast physical products. Just try to get some in demand vinyl without being plugged in to the scene and being money ready when it is time to go.

JeremyParish

Retronaut
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Then again, that is the normal way for enthusiast physical products. Just try to get some in demand vinyl without being plugged in to the scene and being money ready when it is time to go.
This is the reality of physical goods. They cost money to produce up front and more money to warehouse. Any small company dealing in tangible product for a niche market has to be very cautious to produce only what they can sell, or they'll go bankrupt while sitting on a pile of unsold product. That's why the industry shifted to digital distribution for less popular games in the first place.

I won't pretend every game Limited Run releases excites me, but their hit/miss ratio is waaaay better than being implied here. And in any case, one of the stated goals that drew me to the company is the desire to get as many games (good and bad) as possible preserved in physical editions, even if reality means they need to be in restricted quantities. I'm obviously more excited about working on the stuff I like, but seriously, have you seen my video projects? Nothing Limited Run has published compares to the awfulness of MUSCLE for NES or Monster Truck for Game Boy.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
This is the reality of physical goods. They cost money to produce up front and more money to warehouse. Any small company dealing in tangible product for a niche market has to be very cautious to produce only what they can sell, or they'll go bankrupt while sitting on a pile of unsold product. That's why the industry shifted to digital distribution for less popular games in the first place.

Yeah, I know a fair few vinyl only labels that sell out each release, but essentially are only breaking even on it and are doing it for the love of the medium. I'm just on maximum salt mode because I missed out on something I really wanted!

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
No no no. Jeremy is going to do a Game Boy version of Klonoa Moonlight Museam and it will come packaged with a Game Boy Flip Grip for the Tate visions!
MaleConcernedKillifish-max-1mb.gif

It's very selfish of me, but the only reason I might be upset is because I want his "Works" series to continue for as long as possible. I think documenting older games in the manner he does is incredibly important, and hope it continues in some manner.

Apart from that, this is a great development, and I'm glad to see what seems to be a great fit for both person and company.