• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017
The Jeremy Kyle Show has been axed by ITV after the death of a guest who took part in the programme.
Steven Dymond was found dead on 9 May a week after filming the show, during which he took a lie detector test.
Carolyn McCall, ITV's CEO, said: "Given the gravity of recent events we have decided to end production of The Jeremy Kyle Show."
ITV had initially suspended filming, and the prime minister's spokesman called the death "deeply concerning".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48279613

Brilliant news.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the clips from the last thread; good. Trash like that needs to be excised from existence.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Horrible morally bankrupt crap which should never have made it to air in the first place.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never watched it but I've always had the impression it's been a show about making a mockery out of people who are different and/or have family issues to sort through (which should be done with a therapist, not a TV audience). So yeah, good riddance.

Oct 29, 2017
Future generations and kids growing up today will see clips of this show and wonder what the fuck was wrong with all of us.

Good show from ITV, watch Channel 5 pick up exactly the same format from Kyle now though.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember watching this show a lot around 5 years ago. I'm trying to remember why I've stopped watching it since. It's bugging me a little.

Oh well.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
Frankly Jeremy should be forced to pay a huge fucking sum of compensation to the family of the man he directly caused to commit suicide.

His stupid smug bastard face and his lie detector tests. It's disgusting that we don't allow bear baiting anymore, but we'll happily submit poor people to the exact same thing

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Thank fuck.

Absolutely disgusting show that doesn't deserve yo be on the air and only furthers societies desire to treat others like shit.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
I would say well done ITV but I've seen people on Twitter quick to point out the fact Love Island is still going despite having two participants commit suicide in the last two years. Of course that draws in a huge amount of viewers so it's safe.

Also, I guess Robert Webb finally got his wish:

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
He'll still get used by ITV on other projects. There is virtually no remorse in the statement. Basically stating that the show had run its course.

Stories are coming out from former production staff regarding how guests were dressed ( to make them look more chavvy) and actively provoked by producers before appearances to maximise onscreen antagonism. Basically putting human beings in a dog fight.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Based on the clips from the last thread; good. Trash like that needs to be excised from existence.

I agree. That shit also used to air here in the U.S. as well.

And now with Jerry Springer officially gone last year, there's just only Steve Wilkos, Dr. Phil & Maury to go before Trash TV talk shows goes completely extinct.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The death knell for exploitative reality TV then? who's next for the chopping block.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Can't Pay We'll Take it Away is nearly as awful.

Honestly Can't Pay We'll Take It Away isn't even that bad, the bailiffs they actually have on it are genuinely nice people and especially the two older ones do a lot more than you'd expect to try and help people. It doesn't make fun of peoples situation, if anything it makes it show how gravely bad and depressing the situation is for those people.

Jeremy Kyle was made to be a human zoo, it's like Jerry Springer but with real people instead of actors. He basically bought people in so he could laugh at them.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He'll still get used by ITV on other projects. There is virtually no remorse in the statement. Basically stating that the show had run its course.

Stories are coming out from former production staff regarding how guests were dressed ( to make them look more chavvy) and actively provoked by producers before appearances to maximise onscreen antagonism. Basically putting human beings in a dog fight.

Wow. I often wondered if they just targeted poor people and got them on the show to piss them off and throw them at each other so Jeremy Kyle could do his condescending shit and feel superior to everyone else on the stage, but they just dressed them like chavs? Damn.

I wondered how much of it is fake anyway. Kinda like Jerry Springer there's just way too much aggression, you know? And people with arguments even they don't seem to believe.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I guess this is good news but it's not exactly systemic change is it, just saving face really.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Wow. I often wondered if they just targeted poor people and got them on the show to piss them off and throw them at each other so Jeremy Kyle could do his condescending shit and feel superior to everyone else on the stage, but they just dressed them like chavs? Damn.

I wondered how much of it is fake anyway. Kinda like Jerry Springer there's just way too much aggression, you know? And people with arguments even they don't seem to believe.
It's the fact that they took away their own clothes and dressed them as they saw fit to play a role that I find really appalling.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Can't Pay We'll Take It Away isn't even that bad, the bailiffs they actually have on it are genuinely nice people and especially the two older ones do a lot more than you'd expect to try and help people. It doesn't make fun of peoples situation, if anything it makes it show how gravely bad and depressing the situation is for those people.

On top of that, I think some of the laws regarding what High Court Enforcement Officers/Baliffs can do has changed since that program was a thing. That said, they only did their jobs and did what the law allowed them to.

No real comparison to Jeremy Kyle show which quite frankly is the only good thing to come out of this poor guys death.

https://inews.co.uk/news/the-jeremy-kyle-show-itv-suspended-human-bear-baiting-reaction/

I read this a while ago ^ but it's pretty much what the show was. bear baiting.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a conceited show this was, designed to drag on stage the lowest possible people of society that the staff could find, so people could watch them be humiliated in order to make the viewer feel a little better. I honestly don't believe this will really be the only instance of self-harm or suicide associated with appearing on the show, such is the level of distress some of these people leave it with.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My in laws were invited onto the show one time (they declined) but my wife would have been invited too if my in laws hadn't told the show not to contact her.

They way they tried to attract you was disgusting.

"you can come and stay in a hotel, we will pay for you to have a spa" etc. Making it seem like a fun time.

This was all for the subject of my mother in law passing away from cancer and her piece of shit boyfriend wanted to try and drag the rest of us for how we treated him, full of lies I assume.

The fact they Could use such a sensitive and horrible situation for entertainment says everything you need to know about the people on the show.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah what happened with that? I remember them announcing two new shows in January, but I've just looked and can find two Party Mode After Parties and one Pre-game. Is that actually all they did or are they Patreon exclusive or something?
On top of that, I think some of the laws regarding what High Court Enforcement Officers/Baliffs can do has changed since that program was a thing. That said, they only did their jobs and did what the law allowed them to.

No real comparison to Jeremy Kyle show which quite frankly is the only good thing to come out of this poor guys death.

https://inews.co.uk/news/the-jeremy-kyle-show-itv-suspended-human-bear-baiting-reaction/

I read this a while ago ^ but it's pretty much what the show was. bear baiting.

The Sheriff's Are Coming on the BBC does the same thing but only concentrated on business debts so isn't quite the poverty lien the other show is. Daytime tv is the UK is full of awful shows like it, Saints and Scroungers for example helps aid the narrative that benefits cheats are a much bigger problem than they actually are.

Oct 27, 2017
I would say well done ITV but I've seen people on Twitter quick to point out the fact Love Island is still going despite having two participants commit suicide in the last two years. Of course that draws in a huge amount of viewers so it's safe.

Also, I guess Robert Webb finally got his wish:

Ok, Mr Webb - the man who penned Peep Show.

And bonus points for Danny Baker in the clip...

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀
JEREMY KYLE IS FUCKING CANCELLED
🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Good, that man is an absolute scumbag. I see him as the kind of guy who would get up in a toddler's face for making a mistake, just pure trash.

Sad thing is, there's many shows out there like Jeremy Kyle and I don't see that genre going away anytime soon. And he'll probably get a gig somewhere else where he does the same crap like what happened with the Top Gear team.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely nothing of value was lost

The show is disgusting exploitative rubbish and if it were up to me I'd hold Jeremy accountable for the mans death.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
It was a modern day side show, for people to laugh and get titillation from others misfortune and whilst i'm glad its been cancelled, i'm also angry and disappointed!

Angry and disappointed its taken so damn long for it to be taken off the air! its a joke and a living meme*, Its a parasitic show preying on the most disadvantaged and made a man a millionaire out of their mental abuse. I'm sure we've had instances of 'guests' having break downs, committing crimes before and honestly i wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the first death, its just now society is in a place to actually demand this stop (which is also depressing)

*general consensus that people seeking attention, paid for actors and people taken advantage of appear on the daytime show, for the enjoyment of people who are not in work.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Ok, Mr Webb - the man who penned Peep Show.

And bonus points for Danny Baker in the clip...
Mitchell & Webb weren't even the primary writers or series creators for Peep Show - a show that's deliberately uncomfortable in a very different way to a programme designed to turn disadvantaged people into circus animals.

Unless I'm missing something, Robert Webb is generally considered to be a pretty nice, intelligent dude.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mitchell & Webb weren't even the primary writers or series creators for Peep Show - a show that's deliberately uncomfortable in a very different way to a programme designed to turn disadvantaged people into circus animals.

Unless I'm missing something, Robert Webb is generally considered to be a pretty nice, intelligent dude.
I seem to remember some people taking offense at some comments he made about trans people?

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I agree. That shit also used to air here in the U.S. as well.

And now with Jerry Springer officially gone last year, there's just only Steve Wilkos, Dr. Phil & Maury to go before Trash TV talk shows goes completely extinct.

I'll always remember the time Jerry Springer was a guest on an Irish chat show and he told the entire nation not to watch his show.