• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/06/alex-trebek-pancreatic-cancer-stage-four-jeopardy-retiring/

Alex Trebek has just been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, but he will attempt to finish out this season of "Jeopardy!" ... TMZ has learned.

Sources connected to Trebek tell us, the TV icon was just informed of the diagnosis. He recorded a video message announcing the news.

Last year, 78-year-old Alex spoke to Harvey Levin for an episode of "Objectified" and said he was seriously considering retiring, but he later signed a contract extension to secure his gig through the 2021-2022 season.

Alex took a brief medical leave in 2018 to have surgery for blood clots on his brain after taking a nasty fall -- but 'Jeopardy!' never aired any episodes with a guest host. Alex also suffered mild heart attacks in 2007 and 2012.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does not deserve something that horrible in the slightest :( seems like such a kind guy

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FUCK. Damn the prognosis of that is incredibly poor. Could be dead within the year.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish

"Hi everyone, I have some news to share with all of you and it's in keeping with my longtime policy of being open and transparent with our Jeopardy! fan base. I also wanted to prevent you from reading or hearing some overblown or inaccurate reports regarding my health. So therefore, I wanted to be the one to pass along this information.

Now, just like 50,000 other people in the United States each year, this week I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Now normally, the prognosis for this is not very encouraging, but I'm going to fight this, and I'm going to keep working. And with the love and support of my family and friends and with the help of your prayers also, I plan to beat the low survival rate statistics for this disease. Truth told, I have to! Because under the terms of my contract, I have to host Jeopardy! for three more years! So help me. Keep the faith and we'll win. We'll get it done. Thank you."

Fuck

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that's actually devastating.

He's been a regular staple of television my whole life, always thought he'd keep going as long as wanted then retire gracefully like Bob Barker. Really sucks that he's probably not going to live another year.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
That really sucks. I hope he is able to finish out the season and pass peacefully. Pancreatic cancer can fuck off.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alex gives a shout out to all the other pancreatic cancer fighters out there AND cracks a contract joke. Bless. Dude is a legend.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Oh no, this is such sad news! Jeopardy was a staple in my house as a kid, I learned so much thanks to this show.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, poor guy. Great statement, though. A little humor. His odds are better if he keeps fighting and doesn't lose hope.

Hope he gets through it.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Pancreatic cancer is basically a death sentence and he's already 78... Class act the whole way through the announcement.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Fuck this disease. We need to continue to do our best to eventually make it so the words "pancreatic cancer" aren't a death sentence one day.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Haha jeez, him framing it as he's got to beat his cancer because he's under contract to host the show is kinda funny. Godspeed Trebek, I hope he beats the odds.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Stage 4 pancreatic cancer is essentially a death sentence :(

THIS SUCKS SO MUCH.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Ah fuck. I feel so bad for him, but admire his determination to not let it get him down and keep hosting. Jeopardy won't be the same without him, but I hope he can beat the odds.

KyleH

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This is very sad. Props to him for having such a positive outlook. My mom was diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer last year, her decline was steep and it took her within 6 weeks of initial diagnosis. It has a very low survivability rate, as he mentioned.

At the very least, hopefully it brings more awareness to pancreatic cancer and encourages people to donate to groups like the Lustgarten Foundation.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Well, I'll be praying for him... somehow, that amount of poise and attitude really makes me think like he might be the 1% to beat it. I dunno. It left me hopeful.

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC Pancreatic cancer has an extremely low survival rate. It's a death sentence.

Currently life is also a death sentence, ultimately. For those who don't know just what to say when hearing a cancer diagnosis like this, it's understandable. Try to at least afford the diagnosed some dignity as they make life decisions, and continue to live, while going forward with their treatment plan.