• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
NVIDIA-CEO-Jen-Hsun-Huang.jpg

When Jensen Huang cofounded NVIDIA, in 1993, he focused on a single niche: building powerful computer chips to create graphics for fast-moving video games. As the company went public in 1999 and grew through the 2000s, video games remained its growth engine—but even back then, Huang, a Taiwanese immigrant who studied electrical engineering at Oregon State and Stanford, could see a different path forward. Data scientists were beginning to ask computers to perform much more sophisticated calculations more quickly, so NVIDIA began spending billions of dollars on R&D to create chips that would support artificial intelligence applications. By the mid-2010s its AI-focused chips had come to dominate this nascent market, showing up inside autonomous vehicles, robots, drone aircraft, and dozens of other high-tech tools. One look at NVIDIA's stock chart shows how this bet has paid off: From late 2015 to late 2018, the company's stock grew 14-fold—a performance that puts Huang, 56, in the top spot on HBR's list of best-performing CEOs in the world this year.
Huang is a new face at #1, but he's no newcomer to the list: He ranked #2 in 2018 and #3 in 2017.

It's quite an old report, but I couldn't find a thread about this. And at the end of the year such as now, I believe it's a good time to review how the CEOs of video game companies performed this year. Before you ask, here are some video game related companies that made the list:

- Microsoft at #9
- AMD at #26
- Apple at #62
- Tencent at #63
- Ubisoft at #74
- Activision Blizzard at #81

Meanwhile, no other gaming company CEO made the list, including Sony, Nintendo, Valve, Epic, EA, etc.

Last edited:

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
it may be hard (really really hard) for the gaming side of this forum to understand but if you are a long-term Nvidia investor (like myself), then it's really hard to argue against that.

I mean, just look at this 5 years chart of NVDA share price. Ultimately, this is all it matters for a profit making company.

(Disclaimer: Bought and am still holding NVDA shares at $12.90. You can say i am a happy camper.)

NVDA.jpg

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
By doing evil and being a CEO to boot. Good job. Drones and AI being used for defense and the like makes it very hard to think this is in any way something to champion. Unless they got out of that market that i'm not aware of.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
By doing evil and being a CEO to boot. Good job. Drones and AI being used for defense and the like makes it very hard to think this is in any way something to champion. Unless they got out of that market that i'm not aware of.

There's nothing 'evil' in what he does, and there's nothing inherently evil in drones or AI research.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When this guy gets up to talk about the direction of his company he gets so hype. I used to cringe at how he would interrupt speakers or take over presentations, but now I get pumped for whenever he has a presentation or talk. And you know when the real hype is coming when he takes his jacket off.

Aside from that, I love how he has focused on industries outside of gaming to help advance automotive, science, medical, film and other industries that require GPUs.

It also doesn't hurt that I went in deep on NVDA and AMD shares back in 2011 and 2012.

I feel like AMD's new (since 2014) CEO should have made the list. She cleaned house, trimmed a lot of fat, and helped the company become more focused.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've read elsewhere, he understood (and anticipated) the importance of software side of the graphics business better than anybody else. Stuff like drivers, graphics middleware, and tools to support technical teams.

This is still a big weakness for the competition.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
it may be hard (really really hard) for the gaming side of this forum to understand but if you are a long-term Nvidia investor (like myself), then it's really hard to argue against that.

I mean, just look at this 5 years chart of NVDA share price. Ultimately, this is all it matters for a profit making company.

(Disclaimer: Bought and am still holding NVDA shares at $12.90. You can say i am a happy camper.)

NVDA.jpg
It's not that hard, lots of people just don't realize how easy it is to buy stocks now, it's really no harder than buying something on eBay.

I jumped in late but I've still managed to buy three nvidia GPU upgrades from the earnings from investing the GPU money on nvidia stocks. Starting off with $1k = $2k a year later. Rinse and repeat.

Last year was no fun though... But this year has been okay-ish; +79%.

However, this year I wish I had invested in AMD instead; +150% for the year!

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Damn, Microsoft are holding strong at 158 $ per share. So many missed opportunities to buy shares when they were below 20 $. But meh, did not have enough coins then. :D

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Microsoft are holding strong at 158 $ per share. So many missed opportunities to buy shares when they were below 20 $. But meh, did not have enough coins then. :D
It's never too late to jump in though, check the stock history graph, it's like someone with slightly unstable hands are trying to draw a line 45 degrees up ;D

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
What are you talking about? A mod hasn't even posted in this thread.
Excuse me, a fellow dev.

Sorry; I did get trigger happy with my comment, just seeing someone with a "verified" developer tag under their name instantly talk down someone trying to bring light to actual criticism, not to take away from the good NVIDIA's done for PC gaming.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Excuse me, a fellow dev.

Sorry; I did get trigger happy with my comment, just seeing someone with a "verified" developer tag under their name instantly talk down someone trying to bring light to actual criticism, not to take away from the good NVIDIA's done for PC gaming.

It's a joke, dude!

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands

NVDA.jpg
Sadly I bought a bit before that 45% crash. I'm finally back in the plus now, so it wasn't at the peak, but still.
Nvidia has still a bit of a problem with diversification. Their AI and automotive work should have been able to weather that bitcoin fallout, but okay they're working on it. #1 seems a bit high if you compare it with their competitor AMD, but I'll be keeping on to their stock for a bit longer still.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sadly I bought a bit before that 45% crash. I'm finally back in the plus now, so it wasn't at the peak, but still.
Nvidia has still a bit of a problem with diversification. Their AI and automotive work should have been able to weather that bitcoin fallout, but okay they're working on it. #1 seems a bit high if you compare it with their competitor AMD, but I'll be keeping on to their stock for a bit longer still.

AMD seems to be riding on their high now but remember, contextually speaking it was because AMD was absolutely at its lowest point before Zen. And as much as the gaming side and tech forums likes to berate the current Intel, AMD's will always be in a tight spot because their main competitor IS Intel and that's a large shadow that looms over regardless of how much one can despise Intel. From another perspective, AMD is a company waging a war on 2 fronts, currently riding high due to their own successful strategy and their competitor's (mainly Intel's) incompetency. But like everything in tech, anything can change and AMD shares is what that's as volatile as El Nino. It can go up 3% in a day and go down 5% the next. Not recommended for the faint of heart.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Hi there, I'm also 12 years old. Nice to meet you.
There is a vast amount of money being plowed into AI by defense. Without the massive investment by that sector the story in the OP wouldn't paint anywhere near a meteoric rise, and to dismiss the point you quote in this manner is incredibly disappointing to see from a member I highly respect.

There's, I dunno, room for more nuance to this discussion?

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
There is a vast amount of money being plowed into AI by defense. Without the massive investment by that sector the story in the OP wouldn't paint anywhere near a meteoric rise, and to dismiss the point you quote in this manner is incredibly disappointing to see from a member I highly respect.

There's, I dunno, room for more nuance to this discussion?
I guess Microsoft are also evil for getting the JEDI contract with the US government? :D

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I guess Microsoft are also evil for getting the JEDI contract with the US government? :D
I mean, yeah? Most people who would have an issue with Nvidia's hands being in that particular cookie jar would also be the type to call out Microsoft doing the same, hell, it has been brought up many times on here. Personally I feel there is more nuance to this conversation than is typically afforded in conversations about it but yeah, a lot of people have issues with the JEDI contract.

Last edited: