• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
variety.com

Jenny Slate Exits ‘Big Mouth’: ‘Black Characters Should Be Played by Black People’

"Black characters on an animated show should be played by Black people," Slate wrote

Jenny Slate is exiting her role as Missy (pictured above, center) on the Netflix due to the character being biracial while Slate is white.

"At the start of the show, I reasoned with myself that it was permissible for me to play 'Missy' because her mom is Jewish and white — as am I," Slate wrote on Instagram. But 'Missy' is also Black and Black characters on an animated show should be played by Black people."

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Good on Slate for this, shame on Netflix. Glad Kroll responded, but she should have never been offered the role. Being half white, while notable, can't inform the rest of this character's experience authentically as a Black person.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I loved her Missy voice but that's understandable, hope she gets a good replacement.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
While I don't necessarily agree with her reasoning, I think it's really admirable of her to give a POC a chance to play a voice acting role. To make progress this is probably what's needed.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see a reason to shame Netflix for this. They weren't any more responsible for the hiring than the creators. It's simply good on her and the whole creative team.

I edited my original post for some further reasoning. It is totally within their power (and responsibility) to hire actors that reflect the race/ethnicity of their characters.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Is this a first? I know we've seen people bring up issues with voice cast and character race (like with Apu in recent years), but has an animated show ever actually recast a character like this?

Either way, it's a good move. Curious how this will impact the next season, which I would assume is already finished or close to it.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
I don't see a reason to shame Netflix for this. It's simply good on her and the whole creative team.
Yeah pretty much, there's more irresponsible shit I see on Netflix on a daily . Like a movie about some dude that enslaves a woman and makes her basically a sex slave that gets Stockholm syndrome and falls in love with him lol.
at some point that movie and 13 Reasons Why were #1 and 2 on Netflix.

both those things are insanely dangerous material

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Cue the angry white mob that will ask for Maya to step down as well.

Also, your move Central Park.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
I understand what she's trying to do but this ultimately does not change the hiring culture of Hollywood but only serves them temporary good PR.

Why don't the show creators and the people who are in the actual position to make changes start actively hiring POC? Why aren't they being held accountable for their actions? It's depressing.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I can get behind that decision - good on her.

I understand what she's trying to do but this ultimately does not change the hiring culture of Hollywood but only serves them temporary good PR.

Why don't the show creators and the people who are in the actual position to make changes start actively hiring POC? Why aren't they being held accountable for their actions? It's depressing.

What else can she do other than hand her role (which I'm sure was lucrative) to someone else?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I edited my original post for some further reasoning. It is totally within their power (and responsibility) to hire actors that reflect the race/ethnicity of their characters.
She could have not auditioned or accepted the role. She said she even had to convince herself to take it in the first place. She took the right step now, I applaud that. I doubt Netflix had that option; do you expect them to fire her because she's white?

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
What else can she do other than hand her role (which I'm sure was lucrative) to someone else?
I'm not talking about her, I'm criticizing the higher ups who are not changing anything about their hiring practices. Sure, there will be a POC cast on this specific show which is great but how does it change the wider landscape of Hollywood? It absolutely doesnt, that's my point.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was very surprised when I saw Kristen Bell was cast to portray a black person on Central Park. Definitely seems like this may cause them to reconsider that choice -- she's already in a little bit of hot water over her children's book being considered tone deaf.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Yeah pretty much, there's more irresponsible shit I see on Netflix on a daily . Like a movie about some dude that enslaves a woman and makes her basically a sex slave that gets Stockholm syndrome and falls in love with him lol.
at some point that movie and 13 Reasons Why were #1 and 2 on Netflix.

both those things are insanely dangerous material

Beauty and the Beast, with the exception of the sex, is basically the same story. I'm surprised there wasn't more discussion of it since it was recently remade.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Good move. It's interesting how even relatively recent shows like Bojack Horseman (2014) now feel outdated in terms of inclusive casting. If it had been made this year, I doubt Alison Brie would have been cast as Diane Nguyen.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would say that non POC actors could voice them if there was actually equitable distribution of roles. But since there is certainly not, I applaud this.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
This is the right thing to do, and good on her for calling more attention to this. They could totally go for a different voice and make it work with the whole "I'm going through changes" thing.

That said, I'm going to miss her voice. If anyone has ever seen the Kroll Show, you'll know that these people have been doing these same voices for years and years now.

GenericUser

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
Beauty and the Beast, with the exception of the sex, is basically the same story. I'm surprised there wasn't more discussion of it since it was recently remade.
I hear ya buuuut there's a whole lot of differences that come about between both materials lol.

Just to start off with, Beast doesn't just go kidnap this woman off the streets and tell her I'm prisoning you for an year to fall in love with me, it doesn't get any better from there

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Totally respectable decision, but Im sad she won't be voicing her any more.
"Fat package!"

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
She could have not auditioned or accepted the role. She said she even had to convince herself to take it in the first place. She took the right step now, I applaud that. I doubt Netflix had that option; do you expect them to fire her because she's white?

I think you're missing my point. My point is: Netflix made the show and cast the actors, and so the opportunity for her to play a character that didn't (entirely) reflect her race is wrong. I don't think they could've handled it differently right now, what I'm saying is they shouldn't have done that in the first place. Jenny is entirely right to leave, and Kroll sounds like he understands also.

But these are decisions that big studios like Netflix shouldn't be making. Naughty Dog is guilty of this too, for example, when they hired a white voice actor to voice a black character (the character's likeness was changed after the recording happened, but ND didn't try to recast to reflect the fact the character was now Black). When it becomes a norm (and it seems like it definitely is a bit of a norm in the voice acting world), it no longer needs justification for it to be reinforced. It just happens. If it's looked down upon and studios start to make rules about representation, then change happens.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I was very surprised when I saw Kristen Bell was cast to portray a black person on Central Park. Definitely seems like this may cause them to reconsider that choice -- she's already in a little bit of hot water over her children's book being considered tone deaf.
People shut up about that pretty quickly once it was pointed out the book wasn't about race.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
This seems like the right move, but I'll be sad to see her go. I feel like a small olive branch would be to create a new character for her to voice. Maybe a friend of Missy's as a kinda nod to the relationship?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I wish Alison Brie did this with her role as an Asian American character in BoJack Horseman.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland Brown is played by a white guy, i could not see anyone else voicing that role
I am glad that in a thread about a white woman taking a stand on PoC voicing PoC characters, we were reminded that Cleveland Brown's voice performance by a white guy is just so iconic.

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the discussion around Laura Bailey playing Nadine in Uncharted 4 would have gone if it was happening today. I remember a lot of people were supportive of it because it was voice role.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Good on Jenny Slate, but in general I don't have an issue with white people voicing characters that are of color so long as we also see a good distribution of POC voicing white characters as well. My understanding is that sometimes this isn't the case, though.

I think far more important is seeing diversity in the writer's room. Not that these two things can't both be important, though.

Last edited:

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like the right move, but I'll be sad to see her go. I feel like a small olive branch would be to create a new character for her to voice. Maybe a friend of Missy's as a kinda nod to the relationship?

Would not be surprised if she comes back in some form. She's great and has an established working relationship with Kroll, so probably just a matter of time.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the discussion around Laura Bailey playing Nadine in Uncharted 4 would have gone if it was happening today. I remember a lot of people were supportive of it because it was voice role.

I remember it being controversial (at least when I looked it up back in the day).

Last edited:

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Like I get that representation matters but calling a person who's half black and half white a black person just reinforces the notion that white people are the default, the absence of race, and that it needs to be "preserved". See: One drop rule.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I get that representation matters but calling a person who's half black and half white a black person just reinforces the notion that white people are the default, the absence of race, and that it needs to be "preserved". See: One drop rule.

It doesn't reinforce the notion. It's merely observing the reality of the system of race. Pretending that it doesn't, especially in service to justify a white woman taking a role from someone who's black or actually biracial (w/ black) is counter productive.

There's nothing that serves to undermine the construct of race by defending a white woman voicing a mixed black person. Mixed people being defined by their black ancestry is not something you can ignore for greener pastures while denying opportunities to black people at the same time. You can't take a color-blind approach here.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't reinforce the notion. It's merely observing the reality of the system of race. Pretending that it doesn't, especially in service to justify a white woman taking a role from someone who's black or actually biracial (w/ black) is counter productive.

You're entirely right but it still doesn't sit right with me that we have to acknowledge an outdated social structure that in other contexts divides us in order to make the situation just.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Good on her for making such a choice, but I understand having taken the role in the first place and don't begrudge others in similar situations for not stepping down.