• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I listen to too many video essays now I think, the first thought I had was "wow it's short"

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
this is her first video in some time, huh?
Yep.

Honestly a lot of youtubers I was super into a few years ago have slowed down to making like one, MAYBE TWO, videos a year and it sucks. People clearly still support them and the videos do well enough that this is obviously viable but it's a bummer.

Glad she's back all the same. Though for some reason I thought she was working on a Once Upon A Time video. Guess that'll be next year?

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

Honestly a lot of youtubers I was super into a few years ago have slowed down to making like one, MAYBE TWO, videos a year and it sucks. People clearly still support them and the videos do well enough that this is obviously viable but it's a bummer.

Glad she's back all the same. Though for some reason I thought she was working on a Once Upon A Time video. Guess that'll be next year?

i got into her stuff not long ago, like i think a little over a year ago. so i wasn't sure about her output frequency but i notice all the YT recommends are videos i've seen like 100 times

i guess on the other side of the coin, i like that she doesn't stretch herself thin, like a lot of other youtubers i happen to like. they put out stuff on the reg but you can tell they're really grasping at straws for content sometimes

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
That Walking on Sunshine belt 🤣

Man was a little too ambitious with that one.

The various racial stereotypes were just pure pain.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
i got into her stuff not long ago, like i think a little over a year ago. so i wasn't sure about her output frequency but i notice all the YT recommends are videos i've seen like 100 times

i guess on the other side of the coin, i like that she doesn't stretch herself thin, like a lot of other youtubers i happen to like. they put out stuff on the reg but you can tell they're really grasping at straws for content sometimes
Yeah I'd definitely rather youtubers make content at a pace they can handle than burn themselves out of course. I just wish there was some kind of happy medium here. I know I personally stopped subbing to some creator's patreons because I didn't feel good giving money every month when they are putting out one video a year, which is especially bad when it's a video I don't care about (hbomberguy has been this for me lately, sadly).

Honestly I'd even take the same amount of content just spread out more and about different subjects. If the choice is between one two hour video a year or four 30 minute video a year, I'd take the latter.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
This explains all the weird pop culture icons getting crucified tweets she's been making the last few months

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Robin of the Hood felt like watching Prison Mike. It was wonderfully bad.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Mr. Potato Head.

NO.

NO.

NO.

(also they made a really bad Trudeau joke during the Back to the Future one)

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I wanna know the drama behind the casting. You think that one lady who is a lead in all of these is like fighting to ensure no one else has a chance? Like sugar in peoples' gas tanks? "Look this singing voice isn't landing me any other jobs, THIS IS ALL I HAVE"

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Also, as someone who associated with Christian theater kids in my misbegotten youth-

Christian theater kids are the worst.

The worst.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is finished.

This video was worth the wait. I hope they do Avatar next year, just for Jenny.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Jenny's main channel content is pretty few and far between, but her patreon has montly videos that are often very lengthy meaningful content. Her full vlog of Star Cruiser recently was great.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The best thing about this is it never becomes 'normal.' Like, every single time there's something completely inexplicable in it and either deeply upsetting or so not funny that it becomes funny. It's incredible.

The Lotso bit reminded me that me and the play makers disagree on a couple of key things.

Yep.

I think she's overextended herself with ideas. There's a Star Wars Hotel and some weird display park thing she's doing videos about, plus a video about the Barbie DTV movies, and I think Once Upon A Time was something people kept requesting but she hasn't confirmed yet? She also cancelled a Beanie Baby video for a reason I'm forgetting. We got Evan Hansen because she couldn't resist.

I lost it at the Nazi singing Numa-Numa. Which, on reflection, may not be the craziest thing in this video.

Going by everything else, it does seem the most utterly random. Didn't she note the song was old at that point too? It's not like the equally insane Gangnam Style but where the song was modern.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I think she's overextended herself with ideas. There's a Star Wars Hotel and some weird display park thing she's doing videos about, plus a video about the Barbie DTV movies, and I think Once Upon A Time was something people kept requesting but she hasn't confirmed yet? She also cancelled a Beanie Baby video for a reason I'm forgetting. We got Evan Hansen because she couldn't resist.
Ah. I would be excited about all that if she did more than two videos a year but yeah. I always liked her video choice being really random. I thought for sure I read after her Vampire Diaries video she was going through OUAT for the purpose of a video but it could have just been speculation, I guess.

Edit: Found it. She said a year ago she started work on a OUAT video.

But does also mention she has other videos before it, including the barbie one you mention. So yeah if it ever does happen I guess it's gonna be a long time.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Ah. I would be excited about all that if she did more than two videos a year but yeah. I always liked her video choice being really random. I thought for sure I read after her Vampire Diaries video she was going through OUAT for the purpose of a video but it could have just been speculation, I guess.

Edit: Found it. She said a year ago she started work on a OUAT video.

But does also mention she has other videos before it, including the barbie one you mention. So yeah if it ever does happen I guess it's gonna be a long time.

Part of me thinks there's going to be a bit of a deluge at some point, because she's been working on Barbie and the cosplay resort videos for a few months now, so I could see them releasing both soon and in quick succession.

I did really enjoy her Patreon Vlog of the Star Wars hotel, it was really relaxing background video.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I think I remember her talking about being burned out on talking about current pop culture subjects like star wars and MCU, so I guess this is a good workaround to it lol

I listen to too many video essays now I think, the first thought I had was "wow it's short"

Well for what is worth Jenny never did make video essays.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Part of me thinks there's going to be a bit of a deluge at some point, because she's been working on Barbie and the cosplay resort videos for a few months now, so I could see them releasing both soon and in quick succession.

I did really enjoy her Patreon Vlog of the Star Wars hotel, it was really relaxing background video.
That's good. I haven't seen any of her patreon content. I remember she did a video on Star Wars land that seemed to be a set-up for a Part 2 but then it felt like Rise of Skywalker kind of burned her on Star Wars and she dropped it. Will be cool to get some new SW content from her. Out of curiosity has she said on either twitter or patreon her thoughts on any of the Disney+ SW shows?

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Going by everything else, it does seem the most utterly random. Didn't she note the song was old at that point too? It's not like the equally insane Gangnam Style but where the song was modern

She didn't mention this- the TI song "Live Your Life" that sampled it was from 2008, so a bit more relevant.

Ivy Veritas

Jan 5, 2019
this is her first video in some time, huh?

Jenny releases a less formal, more off-the-cuff video on her Patreon once every month, but her main youtube channel has slowed way down lately because 1. her recent videos are much longer and more research-heavy than they used to be, and 2. there have been a few big projects she was investing a lot of time and effort into that have either stalled out or that she's lost momentum on for one reason or another (in particular, I think Evermore, which is some sort of theme park, and beanie babies; not sure if the Barbie movie video is stalled or still in production).

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Having performed in this kind of thing, this hits too close to home
I'm curious what it's like. The cast seems to be having fun.

My neighbor does local community plays and the like, but she's on piano and gets paid for her work. It sounds like usually the casts for her productions are at least there to have fun and try, but they're not doing religious performances but actual plays.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Oh christ. The Chinese Coffin-maker in their Tombstone take is literally just quoting Russell Peters. They wrote this bit in just to rip wholesale that "be a man" chinatown bag salesman bit.

Jesus fucking christ

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm curious what it's like. The cast seems to be having fun.

My neighbor does local community plays and the like, but she's on piano and gets paid for her work. It sounds like usually the casts for her productions are at least there to have fun and try, but they're not doing religious performances but actual plays.

It is fun. We even used to compete nationally for some other skits. Local skits had more inside jokes for the church community, tossed in pop references to get people interested, but of course always has to have a serious moment that leads back to the gospel as the real point of these things is always to "save souls". A poignant message that will bring people to the alter after the worship afterwards.

It is fun and all, but it can reaaaaally be awkward if viewed outside the context of a church community. Caveat, I haven't been a part of that world for a long time now.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish the actual plays are online because I want to watch these in full. These are amazing. lol

Someone in the comments said that the woman who sings all the laments must be mean and forces her way into being in charge of everything and, not to "voice shame", but I can see it. lol