• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 2, 2017

Jennifer Lawrence has released a statement clarifying her voting record after revealing her political beliefs. In an interview on the podcast Absolutely Not, the actress shared that she grew up 'a little Republican' and voted for John McCain in the 2008 presidential election when he ran against Barack Obama. The Hunger Games star has since said she is 'proudly' Democrat and showed her support for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris in the upcoming US election. In a tweeted statement Jennifer, 30, explained: 'I would like to clarify my voting record which is the subject of many circulating headlines. 'I grew up in a republican family and voted for John McCain in 2008, but through Obama's presidency, and growing up to realise I was voting against my own rights, I am proud to say I am a Democrat.'

'I based my politics on the things I grew up with', she told Heather McMahan on Absolutely Not. 'I was fortunate to grow up in a Republican house, where I could see the fiscal benefits of some of the Republican policies and I could see that the social issues weren't in line with my views… but, for me, when Donald Trump got elected that changed everything.'

She explained: 'I thought, well, I guess it is fair for me to pay taxes, because that's kind of like paying rent to live in this amazing country, and I like things like hospitals and schools and it makes sense to [play] my part as a citizen to make this country as great as it can be.' In an interview in 2015 Jennifer had described President Trump being elected as 'the end of the world'.

metro.co.uk

J-Law clarifies her politics after revealing she grew up 'a little Republican'

Jennifer Lawrence released a statement about her voting record.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope that others who grew up in Republican families can also self correct.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Well better late than never.

I wised up 1 election before she did. In my defense I was barely able to vote and still indoctrinated by Tennessee ignorance.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly understand growing up in a family where you only get one side.. the other side is evil and there is ZERO middle ground. Took me a bit longer than her to wake up.. but I certainly learned what not to do with my kids. I am always ok with people growing out of what what taught growing up so good for her.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Passengers_2016_film_poster.jpg

ok now get this guy in line with you

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's from Kentucky.
Yeah, as someone from Ohio I completely understand how this can happen. Kids are impressionable and often believe what their parents tell them. Only when you grow up a bit do you see how wrong it was. Unfortunately for some, that moment they see how wrong never comes, and they end up like their parents.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to continue being progressive if you've always been raised that way. It's much harder to realize how wrong you once were, especially given the privileged position she's now in. She has the wealth to say "fuck it, I got mine," so it's pretty cool that she realizes how toxic those beliefs are.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
This is honestly the first sort of thing I think of when folks talk about lowering the voting age. Most kids are gonna vote the way their parents taught em.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): drive-by posting, long history of similar behaviour
She's so fucking annoying. I'm glad Margot Robbie came and ate up her career.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I live in Georgia, most people here are Republicans. I wish they weren't, as a gay man I have everything to lose, especially with the new SC we have now. But most of them aren't bad people, I don't agree with them but I also don't get emotionally invested in other people's politics, it's a rabbit hole.

ragolliangatan

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 31, 2019
Her family is from kentucky, no not too surprising given how some families can be. The important thing nowadays is that she chose to switch sides.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
can't even hate since it was in her youth and she course corrected. Pratt is still a bitch in his adult years.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My story is similar to hers. I grew up in a Republican, deeply religious family. In my first election, 2004, I voted for Bush. Shortly after, I woke up and became a Democrat.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Not uncommon at all. We all grow and change. The first time I was able to vote was in 2004 and I voted for Bush.

As those years went on, I realized how wrong I was to do that. Educated myself on the issues. Voted Democrat ever since 2008.

This is true socially too. Sometimes (though not often) I see Facebook memories pop up from 2010 or so and I may have called something "retarded" or made an offensive "joke" as an attempt to be eDgY aS fUcK. It's like looking at a different person.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Good on her. I appreciate she didn't decide to remain silent on this.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
When i was a kid here in brazil, i was raised to hate on lula and the worker's party for years and years. My mother never told me why, its just how you grow on my city. It was only after high school and first year of university that i realized what was going on. Can't judge people from being brainwashed, if you learn what happens and then switch sides you're doing the best you can.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
She's so fucking annoying. I'm glad Margot Robbie came and ate up her career.

I truly do not understand why you are always so damn toxic.

She's a human being honest about her past, admitting she was wrong and has clearly grown from that.

And your response is to attack her and make childish comments about her career.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I also grew up in a republican family. I happened to realize my beliefs shortly before reaching voting age but I don't hold it against someone if it takes longer to realize that kind of thing.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Literally no shade toward anyone who has changed for the better.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
I mean good for her, but lol at the gossip mags running headlines about her voting record like she's running for congress

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The more the better, she grew up in fucking kentucky of all places so there even changing for the better coming from such a putrid state is something, even more so since she is rich AF. She could have easily slipped back to being a trumpist or republicans, as we see so,so,so often on threads here. Good on her

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
She was like eighteen and from Kentucky so I am not really surprised there. A lot of people are still parroting what their parents say/think at that age. Doesn't really feel like news other than I'm glad she came out on the other side.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean same. Parents and extended family are Republicans. Took me until my early 20's to realize that it was wrong.