• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Is it truly voluntary if she's feeling socially pressured to do it?
However having followed Jenna for a long while she spoke of taking a break many times before so this kinds of feel like a cop-out honestly.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I think this is just a case of 2020 Hell Year getting to people. People with nothing but time on their hands are digging for stuff and signal boosting anything problematic they can find absent any context re: previous apologies, deletions, changes of heart, current actions, etc. I see it happening in a few fandoms I follow. It's one part activism and one part entertainment in the age of isolation.

But Hell Year has clearly gotten to her head too. She didn't have to go as far as she did, anxiety is a fucker and I can empathize with overreacting to Twitter demands during a global pandemic.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
"Woke" younger groups thinking that going full scorched earth, regardless of how long ago it happened, regardless of the extent of the content, and regardless of any efforts to correct themselves since, is not the proper way to go about this. If anything, it lowers the legitimacy of the movement. Its easy for people who have yet to fully mature to disregard the ability to grow over time. Just my two cents.
I don't think it lowers the cause any way. But leads to people being more and more apathetic about it. And even if protesting has been effective in history, real change comes from the entire society believing in those changes.

Not saying they're entitled to being apathetic, or that people is wrong to be angry about it. In fact it is very wrong to wash your hands, but you can't just get in people's heads and change them.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
it sounds like she's doing it voluntarily. What is stupid?

it seems like this white woman's voluntary retirement is being used as an instrument

apparently she has no agency and is being forced by the hoards of "cancel culture" seeking "revenge"

It's caling out racism is worse than racism taken to the next level.

yeah

It's very "culture war"; weaponizing a white women being "punished" by the "going too far" black lives matter movement "coming" for "revenge"

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know this person.

But after watching her video, I'll say that I think it's a pretty terrible "apology" video. The whole thing is couched in "sorry you're offended" language. Especially towards the end, she starts talking about how she doesn't want to offend anyone, so to accomplish that, she needs to just stop making videos, which is a subtle way to manipulate her fans into being angry at the people who criticized her.

If you're sorry for what you did, just say that. Stop insinuating that hurting people people is inevitable, or that the only way to avoid hurting people is just not make videos.

If she genuinely doesn't want to make videos anymore, then cool. If it's overwhelming right now, then understandable. Take care of your mental health and do what you enjoy. But, based solely on this video, it comes across as "well im taking my ball and going home" which only turns her into a victim and turns the conversation into "you whiny people made her quit".

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Just to provide some additional context for the people that don't really follow or know her: There have been several incidents within the last 6 months-year (there could be more instances of it, I don't really follow her podcast or anything like that) where she has been mobbed and attacked simply based on nothing but assumptions. Like there were a few instances with her dogs (she has 4) where she was accused of animal abuse, and IIRC its because one small clip in a video had the dog in some harness that was either later recalled, or the dog was in some position that after some prolonged time could hurt the dog. But in reality the dogs were in the car barely 30 seconds, and I don't even think she was aware of the issue at the time she posted the video.

Personally, I just see her choosing to take a break/end her channel as just the end result of the nonsense "accusations" that she has had to deal with. I am unaware of what triggered this new thing, especially since she blocked those specific videos long before today. She may just be tired of having to defend herself over nothing. Its unfortunate, but I don't blame her.

EDIT: Basically what I am trying to say is this stuff involving her goes beyond just racial incidents

Oct 25, 2017
Good for her. I too would be sick and tired of the stress of worrying every day if angry miserable people on the internet are going to get offended about something and try to cancel you. She's made her millions, fuck it.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
So I guess calling out racism was the true racism all along. Looks like we all have some growing up to do.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
That's good. But she already made the cash so what does it matter. Donate to causes that help people instead of doing things to atone for your sins.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it sounds like she's doing it voluntarily. What is stupid?

The people attacking her/bringing the videos back up

That's good. But she already made the cash so what does it matter. Donate to causes that help people instead of doing things to atone for your sins.

That's the thing. Evidently she has been donating, and she's been speaking out BEFORE the videos came back up. The videos she made 8 years ago.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have any particular strong feelings on her but I will say a lot of people talking about this "society needs to be able to forgive and let people change".

Man, fuck that. No we don't. No one is entitled to a platform and the ability to keep it and make lots of money just because they are sorry after the fact that they did bad stuff.

A platform of millions is a privilege. If you misuse it to the detriment of groups who never did anything to you, why the fuck should you be entitled to keep it? You can change and grow and that's all good but that's entirely separate from whether it in turn means the populace needs to let it go so you can go back to making your millions. Lmao, that take has always been dumb as fuck.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Conflicted.

On one hand, taking responsibility and holding yourself accountable is absolutely the bare minimum that a cis white person can do these days. On the other hand, I feel like more good can be done by using her status and audience to push diversity and instill in others the idea of personal growth. It's an utter privilege to be able to self-flagellate to such a degree that you're able to throw everything away like that.

This is basically where I'm at as well. Quitting a platform where she has the power and audience to do so much good over a few videos she made when she was much younger is kinda over-compensating. I really hope she reconsiders or at least decides to make it a temporary exile.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I don't have any particular strong feelings on her but I will say a lot of people talking about this "society needs to be able to forgive and let people change".

Man, fuck that. No we don't. No one is entitled to a platform and the ability to keep it and make lots of money just because they are sorry after the fact that they did bad stuff.

A platform of millions is a privilege. If you misuse it to the detriment of groups who never did anything to you, why the fuck should you be entitled to keep it? You can change and grow and that's all good but that's entirely separate from whether it in turn means the populace needs to let it go so you can go back to making your millions. Lmao, that take has always been dumb as fuck.
Let's leave the platforms to those who never change. That'll teach them.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
If she doesn't want to make videos for the time being, that's ok. However, if she thinks the right thing for her to do is take a break, then I disagree. I think owning up to what you did in the past and making sure to start setting a positive example and continuing to do so is more productive.

Sometimes taking a step backward, taking care of yourself - that is the right example to set.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Can I just make the point that this is not necessarily true. Yes you don't do blackface accidentally but not everyone who does it, especially back in the day, knows its bad. While I can't recall ever doing blackface I have done the whole "dress up like a gangsta" thing as a kid. I didn't know it was problematic. Cultures change, cultural morals change. The best thing you can say is you acknowledge that while you may have been ignorant you still apologize for it and say it was still wrong then.
No, that's just wrong. Stop making excuses. White people might just not have given a fuck, because they held more power back then socially speaking, so no one could hold them accountable, but everyone knew damn well that blackface was a thing that mocked blackness.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018

I agree with this.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California

Very well said.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The people attacking her/bringing the videos back up

That's the thing. Evidently she has been donating, and she's been speaking out BEFORE the videos came back up. The videos she made 8 years ago.
Did she donate and speak up for the protests recently? If she did she cool in my book and can do whatever. It's evident she learned, changed and is more thoughtful about these things now.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

Someone getting caught and saying sorry =/= someone growing, evolving and showing positive change through words and actions.

Two different things and I will not group them together.

And while yes, it's absolutely vital that we allow for growth that doesn't mean that everyone has to forgive you. The people you hurt don't owe you anything.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did she donate and speak up for the protests recently? If she did she cool in my book and can do whatever. It's evident she learned, changed and is more thoughtful about these things now.

Someone posted earlier:

To the people asking about if Jenna has been supporting any charity/activist causes

4:00-5:00 minute mark, they mention that all of their revenue from Twitch (by far and away their main source of income) has been going straight to BLM

So yeah - she's learned her lesson and then some.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I remember her, she was one of the OG Youtuber I watched. I enjoyed her content enough back then. I don't remember when I unfollowed her, probably because her content wasn't speaking to me anymore, she could get a bit slut-shamey at times. I checked on her here and there for years afterwards, and was pleasantly surprised at the changes she made since. I never tried to look for the videos she privated (some I didn't even know existed, like the Nicki Minaj one and the rap part one), but I'm glad she did. But I remember the gendered ones, and the slut-shamey ones for sure.

I'm also glad she made this apology. It's not my place to accept it on behalf of POC, but for the slut-shaming part, I definitely think she grew a ton since then, and I'm glad she acknowledged it here and owned up to it. It takes courage to make this kind of video, and I welcome it. Whether it's a permanent or temporary one, her taking a step back can also possibly be a good thing. I hope not permanently though, but I understand if people don't wanna see her again, people are entitled to not forgive if they feel she hasn't earned it still. And it's not my place to do it for them.

She posted this on the 31st of May, pretty early into the protests:

And also acknowledged the existence of white privilege back in 2017:

Last edited:

zabora

Apr 11, 2019
If people are offended by her content and can't accept her apology why don't they just unsubscribe?

Why is harassment and mob mentality celebrated these days?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
i'm of mixed feelings on this. On one hand it could be respectful for her to step away from things at least for the time being, but on the other hand, I think she could also do a lot of good by using her huge platform to forward black voices and asian voices on youtube and do more than just disappear and be silent. I'm not really sure what the right call is to be honest.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why everyone is so upset. Like, cool it does, from the outside, seem lilke she changed a long time ago and owned it. It's ALSO her decision to do this now, if she's a changed person and isn't trying to double down on shit, people do forgive - look at James Gunn. So frankly, her deciding to do this and not feeling like she 'has' to is about as much of a non-issue as it can be from where I stand.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The fact that you think it's one or the other is interesting.

If your message is that nothing will be ever enough to make up, even for dumb shit, people will stop even trying. Yeah it sucks, and they suck, but is it of any help? Perhaps there's some people who has been perfectly good people from the beginning of their life. I'm sure I wasn't a saint years ago, I would've gladly beat myself to reason; but letting go of that guilt will only make me do more dumb shit.

Your anger is yours and you're right to be angry.

Oct 31, 2017
If people are offended by her content and can't accept her apology why don't they just unsubscribe?

Why is harassment and mob mentality celebrated these days?

wtf are you talking about "these days"

white America has always worshipped harassment and mob mentality

it's why shit like blackface and statues to confederate soldiers is even a thing; to harass black Americans

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
People more outrage that she's quitting by her own grown ass adult choice than the groups she actually offended.

it's why shit like blackface and statues to confederate soldiers is even a thing; to harass black Americans
You killing it in this thread and everyone going to ignore you cause you're right.

zabora

Apr 11, 2019

But that's the thing we are not ending it, in fact it is getting more and more acceptable.
Rational thinking has gone out of the window and we clap people for bringing down so and so and canceling this and that person.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I don't have a chance to watch in full right now... does she mention what she'll be doing instead? I.e. is she trying to move away from being a public figure entirely? Or just closing out the channel.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Someone getting caught and saying sorry =/= someone growing, evolving and showing positive change through words and actions.

Two different things and I will not group them together.

And while yes, it's absolutely vital that we allow for growth that doesn't mean that everyone has to forgive you. The people you hurt don't owe you anything.

I'm not asking you to group anything together but if I'm being honest, what you're saying to me is just some flowery bullshit in the end.

You are not entitled to keep an audience because you are sorry or because you changed. That's the end of it. You're not entitled forgiveness, you're not entitled to default to the good you've done since you've grown, you're entitled to exactly none of it.

A platform is a privilege and a position of power. You do not have to be allowed room to improve and keep it if you abuse it. Why? Note, I never said that these people have to be totally and utterly cancelled if they fuck up. I said no one needs to make room in their heart for atonement should they fuck up.

Oct 25, 2017
If your message is that nothing will be ever enough to make up, even for dumb shit, people will stop even trying. Yeah it sucks, and they suck, but is it of any help? Perhaps there's some people who has been perfectly good people from the beginning of their life. I'm sure I wasn't a saint years ago, I would've gladly beat myself to reason; but letting go of that guilt will only make me do more dumb shit.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this argument. Anybody serious enough about changing wouldn't let that dissuade them.

Oct 31, 2017
You killing it in this thread and everyone going to ignore you cause you're right.

Thanks.

But that's the thing we are not ending it, in fact it is getting more and more acceptable.
Rational thinking has gone out of the window and we clap people for bringing down so and so and canceling this and that person.

nah, fuck your false equivalency of the ongoing harassment, brutalization and dehumanization of black americas to a white women choosing to stop making videos

that bullshit IS the problem and always has been. you're perpetuating it right now

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Is that the example being set? Is that the dominant conversation surrounding her quitting?

You're not in - or rather you shouldnt be in - a position to help anyone else until your own house is in order. I'm not saying she should be selfish, I'm saying it's good to be smart. And she isn't a politician or anything, she can take the time and should if she needs to.

laikalot

May 30, 2020
I don't have a chance to watch in full right now... does she mention what she'll be doing instead? I.e. is she trying to move away from being a public figure entirely? Or just closing out the channel.

She just says she's done with "this channel" (her main one, JennaMarbles) for the time being and possibly for good. I presume she'll still be doing the podcast and streaming with Julien.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If your message is that nothing will be ever enough to make up, even for dumb shit, people will stop even trying.

Why the fuck do I care? Then cancel their ass if they are going to keep showing it after the fact.

Yeah it sucks, and they suck, but is it of any help? Perhaps there's some people who has been perfectly good people from the beginning of their life. I'm sure I wasn't a saint years ago, I would've gladly beat myself to reason; but letting go of that guilt will only make me do more dumb shit.

Bruh, this is just some lame ass deflection. I was not a perfect human being growing up. I am far from a perfect human being now. But I do not have a platform of millions of dedicated watchers. You have a responsibility with that platform. It is nothing more than a deflection to saw we all make mistakes so therefore when someone of influence and power does they need to be allowed to come back from it. No they don't. Nothing of value was lost if they don't come back.

I'm not mad lol. I have zero issue with Jenna Marbles despite any of her past mishaps. But that doesn't mean the masses owe it to her to let her keep making big money lol.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
You're not in - or rather you shouldnt be in - a position to help anyone else until your own house is in order. I'm not saying she should be selfish, I'm saying it's good to be smart. And she isn't a politician or anything, she can take the time and should if she needs to.
I agree with this absolutely.

I just don't think this is what her video actually expressed, and the reaction to the video solidifies that opinion for me.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I remember her, she was one of the OG Youtuber I watched. I enjoyed her content enough back then. I don't remember when I unfollowed her, probably because her content wasn't speaking to me anymore, she could get a bit slut-shamey at times. I checked on her here and there for years afterwards, and was pleasantly surprised at the changes she made since. I never tried to look for the videos she privated (some I didn't even know existed, like the Nicki Minaj one and the rap part one), but I'm glad she did. But I remember the gendered ones, and the slut-shamey ones for sure.

I'm also glad she made this apology. It's not my place to accept it on behalf of POC, but for the slut-shaming part, I definitely think she grew a ton since then, and I'm glad she acknowledged it here and owned up to it. It takes courage to make this kind of video, and I welcome it. Whether it's a permanent or temporary one, her taking a step back can also possibly be a good thing. I hope not permanently though, but I understand if people don't wanna see her again, people are entitled to not forgive if they feel she hasn't earned it still. And it's not my place to do it for them.

She posted this on the 31st of May, pretty early into the protests:

And also acknowledged the existence of white privilege back in 2017:

Yeah, she is cool. If anything she an example of how to do things right and own up to your mistakes. I actually think it would be better if she stayed in the public eye.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I'm sorry, but I don't buy this argument. Anybody serious enough about changing wouldn't let that dissuade them.

You're probably right. Hopefully power goes to those serious about change. But yet I worry about that in the next decades.

Why the fuck do I care? Then cancel their ass if they are going to keep showing it after the fact.

Bruh, this is just some lame ass deflection. I was not a perfect human being growing up. I am far from a perfect human being now. But I do not have a platform of millions of dedicated watchers. You have a responsibility with that platform. It is nothing more than a deflection to saw we all make mistakes so therefore when someone of influence and power does they need to be allowed to come back from it. No they don't. Nothing of value was lost if they don't come back.

[quote[Your anger is yours and you're right to be angry.

I'm not mad lol. I have zero issue with Jenna Marbles despite any of her past mishaps. But that doesn't mean the masses owe it to her to let her keep making big money lol.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, just pointing out you can definitely cancel her and don't give a shit.

zabora

Apr 11, 2019
User Banned (3 months): concern trolling in a sensitive thread
nah, fuck your false equivalency of the ongoing harassment, brutalization and dehumanization of black americas to a white women choosing to stop making videos

that bullshit IS the problem and always has been. you're perpetuating it right now

Everything you're saying is right, my concern is that we are going down a path of more anger and more harassment and I'm not sure where it will take us.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
After watching the video, I feel like that was one of the more sincere ones I've seen. She looks to be full of regret and shame. Compared to people like pew etc. who you can tell actually don't care and just apologize to get people off their back. My fiance likes her and has never mentioned a problematic video before, though she has only been following a year or so.

People can change. Use your platform for good.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I will say, her response to that privilege question was very impressive and came across as genuine. It was short and on the nose and it does show a lot of maturity. The fact she understood putting the card down would be privilege itself is extremely refreshing.

My points are not about Jenna specifically. My point is that no one is owed the duty of care so many people here are begging for.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
I've watched here more recent stuff from time to time and she seems genuine. It's not my place to forgive her but I do think her platform could serve better to spread positivity and awareness. She doesn't even monetize her videos or make merch as far as I know, she just puts out content for people to enjoy and unfortunately her old stuff caused people pain.