• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

H2Yo

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Have any of you guys listened to this masterpiece? My Dad used to play this in the car on long trips, it was equally scary and amazing.

Do yourself a favour and revisit this gem or experience it for the first time with the lights off and some active noise cancelling headphones.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible, but it deserves better than to be listened to on YT. Spend a few pennies and buy it through one of the music sites.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shit had me terrified for most of my childhood. So much so that I can't really listen to it as a grown ass man. Great stuff, but also fucking not.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I love it. I have that big CD set that has all the remixes (blegh) and out-takes (I love that shit)

I went and saw the stage show back in 2007-ish when it toured Australia. got stuck intraffic on the way t the venue (like a lot o concert goers that night). I believe they had delayed the show's start to accommodate the traffic issues but as i got in they had just finished The Eve of the War (for me, the main reason I wanted to see it live). They had this creepy projection of CG Richard Burton for the narration. They even had the guy from the moody blues on tour just to sing "the chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one he said," And his one other song which I believe was originally written for a Lego commercial.

There used to be a semi-animated videoclip from the early 80s that I would love to see if anyone can find it.

CMDBob

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield
An absolute classic. I love it. I even bought the vinyl version for my dad's collection. Fun fact, there was also a PC RTS and PS1 game based on this album. (Yeah...)

Also, the recent Audible audio drama version is really good too. Not a musical but the music is used as backing. Good stuff.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
BA BA BAAA
DO DO DO, DO DO DOOO
BA BA BAAAAA
DO DO DOOO DO DO DOOO

THE CHANCES OF ANYTHING COMING FROM SPACE ARE A MILLION TO ONE, THEY SAID

BA BA BAAAAHHH

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
It's excellent and is still the best 'adaptation' of the original book (even though it takes its own liberties with the story).

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I listened to it a lot when it first came out but ended up hating it, it just felt a bit naff.
But i haven't listened to it for years, i might give it another whirl with fresher ears.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This shit had me terrified for most of my childhood. So much so that I can't really listen to it as a grown ass man. Great stuff, but also fucking not.
The gatefold LP's art gave me nightmares.

That said, I've discovered a new found love for the music, especially Justin Haywoods forever autumn, in my later years, so much so that we went to the west end stage show a couple of years ago.

Oct 27, 2017
Rotherham, England

Me too! I remember my Mum buying it on LP and listening to it whilst looking through the artwork and scaring myself shitless. The one that always sticks in my mind is the one of Nethaniel the parson trying to stop the walking machines with his cross.

That being said, I still listen to it a couple of times a year and it fucks me up for days. I never learn. I saw it a few times when he did the live tour a few years ago too.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn Op, this soundtrack has always been dope. I have the DTS CD and cranking it up on the home theatre system is truly a religious experience. Thunderchild, lest we forget.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Saw this live a few years ago, was pretty amazing. I regularly listen to it as well, great stuff.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ive never sat down to listen to the whole thing, dont know anybody who listens to it truly, yet for some reason I have been listening to the Eve of War song for years. I cannot recall which show or video got me into this song.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, a truly classic album. Saw it live and it was incredible. I guess halloween is a good time to listen to it again.

Last edited:

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember listening to it as a kid but I'm not sure. I'll give it a listen and see if it rings any bells.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Th voice work is really something special IMO. Everyone hit their mark and it helps give the story genuine heart and emotion. I've been listening to it since I was 5-6 years old in the early 80's. It scared the living daylights out of me as a child.

The cartoon movie War of the Worlds: Goliath had 2 decent remixes of Forever Autumn.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lashing ropes and smashing timbers
Flashing Heat Rays pierced the deck
Dashing hopes for our deliverance
As we watched the sinking wreck
With the smoke of battle clearing
Over graves in waves defiled
Slowly disappearing

Farewell Thunder Child!
Slowly disappearing
Farewell Thunder Child!
Farewell Thunder Child!
Farewell Thunder Child!

It's my favourite musical of all time. Been revisiting it for decades now. <3

Dr Zhivago

Oct 27, 2017
Battlestar Potemkin
Me too! I remember my Mum buying it on LP and listening to it whilst looking through the artwork and scaring myself shitless. The one that always sticks in my mind is the one of Nethaniel the parson trying to stop the walking machines with his cross.

That one's referencing Salvador Dali
9220184949_c96f2052bc_b.jpg
6xTS4pP.jpg