• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Just because the game was planned months before the HK situation doesn't mean it can't be a distraction to make people overlook Blizzard's wrong doing.

Or is that kind of talk not allowed?

So here's been Blizzards game plan for the last year:

1) Let's piss off our audience with Diablo Immortal
2) Time settles and most folk move on, hoping that next year's Blizzcon will be better
3) Just in case we run into any more trouble, we better make special plans in the making (or like always, announce games that are 3+ years out)
4) Oopsie!
5) Break open those plans, we got a couple of weeks to make it right

See where this is going and how dumb is sounds?

Hate Blizzard all you want but using the "But here's D4!" announcement as a deflection of the Hong Kong situation is 100% wrong.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cool, I'll be putting a lot of time into the Switch version and can't wait for this expansion.

Bossman

Oct 27, 2017
Releasing it so late is a weird decision. The playerbase has already declined quite a bit so they really need to do something right now or the game is going to be a ghost town when OW2 is finally relased.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
Whether or not OW2 is released before or after Blizzcon 2020, we'll obviously hear about it in Blizzcon, no? So the optimist in me is just hoping he said that to confuse people, so that people are trying to read it as he implying that the game won't release before next year's Blizzcon. I will not have it if OW1 is going to remain a dud while Blizz works on OW2 for who knows how long. A whole year of minimum amount of new content, just new lame skins, nothing else? Get out with that nonsense.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Explains why it currently looks like OW1 with a new Uprising mission and tweaked UI, if they're still so far out.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly would wager they announced OW2 so they can reduce updates on OW1 and have a good reason why.

The post launch of OW had been very formulaic and less exciting while the game was in dire need of something new. So promising something new on the horizon before they slow down updates is a solid plan otherwise if they didn't show off OW2 but slowed down support it would've reflected badly on the game and brand.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
If it's going to be this long, they better damn well upgrade the graphics. The Overwatch artstyle is solid, but graphical quality needs to be bumped up past what's in OW1.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Either way. Stupid to announce stuff early because you had a shitty mobile conference last year where your own fans were disappointed on a live stream for everyone to see.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
This BlizzCon to me was also bad alot of stuff still super early in development when last year's BlizzCon was garbage.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so this was all to distract people from hong kong then?
I love how Blizzard is simultaneously incompetent at making their own games, and yet able to put four trailers (three of which were very detailed CGI), four major announcements, and two playable demos together within a month without much of a hitch.

Seriously, what a ridiculous line of thinking.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

Oh look, someone finally said it!

Oh wait... several posters have been saying this very thing for the last several days, weeks if you include the time since the leaks. But let's not listen to random posters who are thinking more rationally than the boycotters who simply can't accept that maybe this was actually a response to the poor Diablo immortal reception and not your tinfoil hat conspiracies.

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
What happens to Overwatch in between? Does Push get released? Any new heroes or maps? Or will it just be Echo and some balancing until 2 is ready? Hard to believe the game will go dark until 2 releases but I suppose the updates have slowed the past year already.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I hope they take their time on Overwatch 2. I think they'll need more than what they showed this weekend to justify charging for a sequel.
To distract from last year's fiasco ("Do you guys not have phones?") and recent internal shifts at Blizzard (layoffs and Activision's growing influence), but the Blitzchung thing happening before Blizzcon this year ended up working out for Blizzard.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Blizzcon is dead, long live Disney+

(Does anybody know if blizzard did this because of the HK debacle?)

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Blizzcon is dead, long live Disney+

(Does anybody know if blizzard did this because of the HK debacle?)

I think the answer is no. Playable build and cg trailer can't be rustled up with a month. Plus OW2 leaks appearing at Blizzcon emerged long before the HK PR disaster.

If anything it's a reaction to last years disappointing event.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
No surprise but I guess they just wanted to announce it so people feel fine still dumping money into skins since they'll transfer over.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

Is this a serious post?

The real reason is probably dependent on two factors. First, they really want to slow down development for OW1 and focus on OW2, and they're going to have to pull a lot of the team away from that game. This means we likely won't get a new archives mission in 2020, because all of those people will be working on OW2.

Second, and most likely, is that they'd planned to do this as far back as 2018, because that Blizzcon was fairly disappointing, so they wanted more bombshell reveals (even if they did all get leaked).

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They'll be talking about Overwatch 2 at the next 4-5 Blizzcons I'd assume.

I can't tell if the folks thinking the Overwatch 2 reveal was a reaction to the HK controversy are just joking or serious. I would hope they are joking but enough folks here are ignorant as to how game dev works so I'm sure a good number are serious too.