• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
That moment in the elevator, I remember holding my mouth as I hid behind the crate, peeking around the corner at him brutalizing a headcrab

That sequence in particular stuck with me lol

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
As someone named Jeff, before I got to that point I was definitely like "What the hell is up with all this Jeff talk?!" I kept seeing "Fuck Jeff" and my assumption was there was some slimeball NPC named Jeff who would betray you or some shit like that, I never expected to share a name with one of the best executed and unexpected horror enemies in gaming.

That moment where you realize you have to let Jeff back out, fucking genius. I wish it actually scared me though, it was more tense than anything and I was actually laughing to myself at how fucked up it was, but I could totally see it being game breakingly scary for some people.

Either way, I came away from that chapter incredibly excited for the future of horror games.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff was fantastic. Like others said, it's not that he's particularly difficult, but he puts a completely different spin on the game and showcases the versatility of the mechanics. The "you have to let him out" and "you have to hide in the elevator with him" bits were fantastic, and in general the whole area was so well designed. This section could easily have been super frustrating, it's the reason why I've stopped playing Outlast-style games despite loving horror. But Jeff was masterfully executed. Everything about this game is, really (except the orb puzzles, screw those)

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeff was fantastic. Like others said, it's not that he's particularly difficult, but he puts a completely different spin on the game and showcases the versatility of the mechanics. The "you have to let him out" and "you have to hide in the elevator with him" bits were fantastic, and in general the whole area was so well designed. This section could easily have been super frustrating, it's the reason why I've stopped playing Outlast-style games despite loving horror. But Jeff was masterfully executed. Everything about this game is, really (except the orb puzzles, screw those)

the orb puzzles, as in the ones where you avoided the red dots, or the orb puzzles where you had to line up the orbs to touch all points in 3d space?

I actually liked the former, they reminded me sort of like Xortexx from The Lab, which was my favorite part of The Lab.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
the orb puzzles, as in the ones where you avoided the red dots, or the orb puzzles where you had to line up the orbs to touch all points in 3d space?

I actually liked the former, they reminded me sort of like Xortexx from The Lab, which was my favorite part of The Lab.

The avoidance ones, because they're so sensitive to movements of your hands, and they're not particularly interesting. At least the light-line ones involved some mental gymnastics. On that note, The Room VR is incredible, it has fantastic puzzles that take great advantage of VR, and playing those puzzles right after that just leave a bad taste in my mouth. Just wanted to bring up how fantastic The Room is.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It might be a weird comparison to make, but the elevator portion of Jeff reminds me of the Marshmellow Man "boss" from Ghostbusters that I used to play on the Sega Master System:

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The avoidance ones, because they're so sensitive to movements of your hands, and they're not particularly interesting.

Just a heads up, you are invincible in that game when you aren't touching either glowing blue point. So what I'd do is, if a bunch of red points came close to me, I'd just leave that blue point alone and go to work on the other one. The red dots seem to swarm where you're working, so just ping ponging back and forth let me solve all of those very quickly. A little patience at the right time winds up saving a lot of time spent redoing your lost progress.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up, you are invincible in that game when you aren't touching either glowing blue point. So what I'd do is, if a bunch of red points came close to me, I'd just leave that blue point alone and go to work on the other one. The red dots seem to swarm where you're working, so just ping ponging back and forth let me solve all of those very quickly. A little patience at the right time winds up saving a lot of time spent redoing your lost progress.

I know, that's how I've been beating them, but I just don't find that to be particularly engaging.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
The part of the level that I loved that doesn't get enough attention is the chain link hallway where the headcrab shows up above. Before the that hallway, you had to make a lot of noise with a wine crate, and Jeff is on your tail. The door to avoid him is blocked on the side with a box you can move, so you make a little more noise opening the door. You go down the hallway thinking he is behind you, only to turn the corner to a room with 2 chain link fences. As you rush down the path, a headcrab starts to move above in front of you. "Oh fuck oh fuck, please don't make noise," and then it makes ALL THE NOISE. You quickly look around in a panic to hide, and then find a side path to slink into.
It's a so well crafted bit of stage work, where one emotional reaction to an interaction feeds and informs the next. Brilliant

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The part of the level that I loved that doesn't get enough attention is the chain link hallway where the headcrab shows up above. Before the that hallway, you had to make a lot of noise with a wine crate, and Jeff is on your tail. The door to avoid him is blocked on the side with a box you can move, so you make a little more noise opening the door. You go down the hallway thinking he is behind you, only to turn the corner to a room with 2 chain link fences. As you rush down the path, a headcrab starts to move above in front of you. "Oh fuck oh fuck, please don't make noise," and then it makes ALL THE NOISE. You quickly look around in a panic to hide, and then find a side path to slink into.
It's a so well crafted bit of stage work, where one emotional reaction to an interaction feeds and informs the next. Brilliant

apparently there is an achievement for stopping it from making noise, but I'm not sure how you'd do that.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I felt like the section overstayed its welcome a bit and could have done with being maybe one section shorter.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Through the whole Jeff section I was just in awe at the moment to moment design...the freezer lock in and release, the speaker turning on in the freezer, the player movement in the elevator. It just feels like such a standout moment of iterative game design.

There is just something incredibly funny about stopping the bottles smashing as well and the amount of 'fuck you' resin placed in hard to get to places in this chapter.

Also the line at the end if/when you crush him in the compactor is just brilliant.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Also the bit where you have to slide objects down then open the blinds with the stuck lever was a brilliant use of all the physics systems of the game.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I've never had an experience like Jeff in any other medium, let alone a video game.

The stress, anxiety and fear is one thing, but the design of the level is meticulous. They thought of so many clever ways to fuck with you, and play on the ways different players may approach the situations.

loved it

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
The game actually uses the name "jeff" in the exact way I did so, you are introduced to the concept of "jeff" way before you meet him. You hear about him for a long time. I'm like 100% certain they named Jeff, "Jeff" specifically so he could be discussed without actually ruining what the entire moment is. The chapter itself is named "jeff." Before you even hear about jeff, you see the topic title flash on screen.

Knowing there is someone in Half Life Alyx named Jeff doesn't spoil anything at all about what Jeff is. In fact, I saw people discussing Jeff a lot on twitter before I got to him, and it still surprised me. The name "Jeff" is intentional misdirection.
There's another layer to this. You enter this new chapter called "Jeff", and immediately notice the weird name. Then, right at the start of the chapter, you're introduced to this new likable character. So that explains it. This is Jeff, and he's going to be important for a while. A traveling companion in VR.

Then you hear some sort of terrible roar in the distance, and the new guy says "That's Jeff".

Valve got me good.

SimonAbou

Dec 5, 2017
^this!
I really loved this moment because in situations like these where you don't have much time to react, you really feel like the character in the game. I actually reacted super quickly to that headcrab and caught the first bottle it knocked down while it was falling - and was very happy with my mastery of the gravity gloves, but only a second later the headcrab makes so much more noise XD

Ludon Bear

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 4, 2020
Jeff is pretty great. The only problem I had is once you figure out exactly how his AI works and what he does he didn't feel like as big of a threat as he was at first. Overall it was a great segment though and very memorable.
I think, that is part of the design and why he is named "Jeff". Even Larry mentions, that Jeff is manageable, if you understand, how he reacts. So he is scary at first, but then it becomes funny, how easy you can control him with bottles. You wonder, why you ever was afraid of him at all. Giving it a stupid name like "Jeff", fits the picture Larry and we have at the end about it.

Deleted member 16136

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
apparently there is an achievement for stopping it from making noise, but I'm not sure how you'd do that.

Shoot the fucker as quickly as you can! My first playthrough I saw it walking about, and I guessed what would happen, and I panicked trying to shoot it but it still got through and everything fell over and I proceeded to shit myself. Straight out of a horror film, it was great.

I wonder if you can run up to it, jump and grab it by its legs?

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I had the broad strokes of this spoiled for me prior to getting to it and I was somewhat dreading having to play this part because I'm generally not a huge fan of horror. This turned out to be the most memorable part of the game for me for all of the reasons people are stating. So many genius little design choices wrapped around an incredibly stressful situation. The power going out, having to go back in the freezer, triggering an alarm in there, getting stuck in a damn elevator with the monster and having to get up in its face to hit the button...Hell of a sequence.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
As someone named Jeff, before I got to that point I was definitely like "What the hell is up with all this Jeff talk?!" I kept seeing "Fuck Jeff" and my assumption was there was some slimeball NPC named Jeff who would betray you or some shit like that, I never expected to share a name with one of the best executed and unexpected horror enemies in gaming.

That moment where you realize you have to let Jeff back out, fucking genius. I wish it actually scared me though, it was more tense than anything and I was actually laughing to myself at how fucked up it was, but I could totally see it being game breakingly scary for some people.

Either way, I came away from that chapter incredibly excited for the future of horror games.
I thought it was going to be an alcoholic asshole with all the vodka laying about :)

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder if he was more aggressive earlier in development, because he's actually super easy to get around. I didn't die once in that entire encounter with him.

But it's not really the difficulty that's the star, the encounter doesn't have to actually be difficult to be super memorable. I wonder if when he's actually difficult to navigate around, if it stops being fun at all. Jeff seems like something difficult to balance, as it'd be very easy to make it either too frustrating to proceed, or too nerve wracking to do successfully.

I could see a lot of people giving up on jeff if the margin for error was lower.

Yeah this.

I did die when I set off the alarm though. I had a bottle in hand but botched the throw due to emotions running high. I died again when being chased through the door after crossing the wooden board but this was my own fault for thinking the box I braced the door with would actually hold. You can imagine my horror when it did not.

I think the difficulty is perfect for the reasons you mentioned. Future play throughs might seem trivial but I will always remember that first time. It could very easily been a negative experience if I had to deal with save scumming, load times, and general frustration. Wouldn't change a thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Jeff is an absolutely amazing chapters for exactly the reasons you listed.

It's actually, objectively not very tense. As you said, Jeff doesn't pose a lot of danger (even the NPC tells you this). It's really the VR and whole experience that make it work. I love the part where you have to turn that rusty Valve and keep it held while Jeff is right in front of you while also covering your mouth. It *feels* super tense even tho it's not a hard thing to do.
And, as stated many times, that you actively have to release him again is really, really fantastic. Cause when you call the elevator you hear him punch the door and obviously think "Okay, this is the part where he busts through the door." I'm halfway convinced that little hidey-hole where you start the hacking is only there to reinforce that feeling cause it's *obviously" where you avoid him after he bursts through the door when actually it doesn't serve any purpose at all.

It's a fantastic chapter that showcases the strength and purpose of VR every step of the way.

It's also one of the reasons why Alyx simply wouldn't work without VR. You might be able to play it at some point but the experience will not even be remotely comparable.

Gigamear

Jun 23, 2018
Following how everyone was saying Alyx was revolutionary made finally playing the game feel like a let-down at first, because all of the great things it did I've seen in other VR games before. It's revolutionary in the sense that nothing in the VR space has had capital and polish like this before, which is important for other reasons.

That being said, when I reached Jeff, it was the only time I was like "Oh ok, this is a really out of the ordinary experience I am having." It further drove home the idea that Innovation is so fucking hard to pull off. You have to look at something that everyone else is looking at in a completely off-the-wall way and somehow make it practical while taking into account traditional level design fundamentals, the likes of which are still somewhat in flux with VR right now anyway.

Last edited:

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
When I discovered I could wear the breather masks I'd find laying around, I didn't realize it would come in super handy during Jeff sequences. Didn't have to cover my mouth and freed up both hands.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I like how the mechanic of holding your breath was never explained to me in the game. It just... worked, because of course that's how it works, it's just like IRL. For 70% of the game leading up to jeff, you might notice you can cover your mouth but it seems pointless. I found out I could cover my mouth early on when I scratched my cheek IRL and saw the animation. I thought it was just a neat detail.

Then, when leading to jeff's lair, I ran across one of those smoking plants, and alyx coughed. So I decided to try doing it again while holding my breath, and she didn't cough. Then I met jeff, and saw him covered in those smoking plants, and it all clicked. Really cool game design right there.

You can also put on a gas mask to immunise yourself against the spores.

Half-Life-Alyx-Gas-Mask.jpg

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You can also put on a gas mask to immunise yourself against the spores.

Half-Life-Alyx-Gas-Mask.jpg

Did these get updated at some point to remove the straps in your vision? I played at release and there were straps that really impacted your field of view, but I thought that was the point. On my second playthrough those straps have disappeared when on my face (but are still on the model)

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I know I put on a gas mask much earlier in the game but those seem to go away at some point. Dunno if it's related to taking damage or just load screens or something...

Overall I was surprised how short the section was, I was expecting them to drag it out much longer.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeff is a good example of how a game providing the illusion of difficulty can be far more enjoyable than one that is actually difficult.

It's the same way a good puzzle game (i.e. Portal) can make you feel really smart despite giving you extremely subtle and non obvious hints throughout, and keeping the actual problem space relatively simple and easy to solve.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Shoot the fucker as quickly as you can! My first playthrough I saw it walking about, and I guessed what would happen, and I panicked trying to shoot it but it still got through and everything fell over and I proceeded to shit myself. Straight out of a horror film, it was great.

I wonder if you can run up to it, jump and grab it by its legs?
On my first run I remember before I saw that headcrab I tried to play it slow, and then saw it was about to knock shit off, I just started running and tried to shoot it, but I wasn't fast enough. I'll probably try to do it on my gnome run.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
someone in the Alyx OT posted a Jeff jump scare from a guy streaming on Twitch. He turns, see Jeff, screams and just about falls down. Anyone know it?

I've been trying to find it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeff is a good example of how a game providing the illusion of difficulty can be far more enjoyable than one that is actually difficult.

It's the same way a good puzzle game (i.e. Portal) can make you feel really smart despite giving you extremely subtle and non obvious hints throughout, and keeping the actual problem space relatively simple and easy to solve.

That's the best compliment I can give about Half Life Alyx. It consistently made me feel smart for doing things that they completely intended for me to do. Several times I thought I was "breaking" the game, doing things I wasn't supposed to do, only to moments later realize that was exactly what they wanted me to do in the first place. Valve is very good at nudging you in a direction to do something without you realizing they're leading you in that direction. The Jeff section is full of that.

Jan 15, 2018
I love how the chapter is introduced, you're standing in the factory and the word "Jeff" appears on the screen. It's almost comical, you're wondering who this Jeff is and what he means to the chapter. I thought it was gonna be kind of a breather chapter centered around a quirky resistance fighter character who calls the vodka factory his home. I guess I was like 30% right in that it is centered around a single "character."

The level design is brilliant, it's just the right amount of stressful, always giving you a way out so you don't fall into annoying trial and error like a lot of games with unkillable monsters. It's also pretty bright most of the time, which I wasn't expecting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how the chapter is introduced, you're standing in the factory and the word "Jeff" appears on the screen. It's almost comical, you're wondering who this Jeff is and what he means to the chapter. I thought it was gonna be kind of a breather chapter centered around a quirky resistance fighter character who calls the vodka factory his home. I guess I was like 30% right in that it is centered around a single "character."

The level design is brilliant, it's just the right amount of stressful, always giving you a way out so you don't fall into annoying trial and error like a lot of games with unkillable monsters. It's also pretty bright most of the time, which I wasn't expecting.

It being bright just made the moment when the lights go out so, soooo much scarier, haha. The moment you get the flashlight sears all these horrible memories into your brain, so the couple of times later on when the lights go out, you just expect awful, awful stuff to happen.

When the lights went out during Jeff, right as you realized you had to let him back out, holy shit what a one-two gut punch lol.

Jan 15, 2018
It being bright just made the moment when the lights go out so, soooo much scarier, haha. The moment you get the flashlight sears all these horrible memories into your brain, so the couple of times later on when the lights go out, you just expect awful, awful stuff to happen.

When the lights went out during Jeff, right as you realized you had to let him back out, holy shit what a one-two gut punch lol.

I definitely uttered "oh, fuck you valve" with a big smile on my face when I realized I had to reopen the freezer. They did a really effective job of making you do things you really didn't want to do in that chapter, like pushing the elevator button.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah this chapter was incredible. I'm not sure what else there is to say.

The sequence where you need to quickly turn the wheel and use the cabinet drawer to prop up the grate - god damn that was good.

And this chapter just further demonstrated how perfect the gravity gloves interactions are

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
In The Final Hours of Half-Life Alyx, I kind of want to see a photoshop of Geoff Keighly as Jeff.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One part I don't think gets talked enough about is that wheel that you have to pull off the gnarled rebarb, that makes it so you can only open the gate just a crack for all the stuff to fall out. Pulling that wheel off the rebarb was so nerve wracking.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This youtube playthrough of the Jeff segment is perfect in capturing the dread you experience:

The speaker portion when he squeals, "oh you diiiiiick" is perfect lol

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Being able to pick up and wear one of the respirators lying around to not have to cover your mouth with your hand was a cool touch.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
WHAT

I went through the whole game pulling my hair out at those puzzles trying to do them in one go

It was fine for most of the game until the lasers started moving and you had to do it TWICE