• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can believe what you want but this is a case of I will believe it when I see it and the gold paywall for all games is not going anywhere. Microsoft would have announced this and been yelling how great it was for months now if it had any semblence.
They literally straight up said that August's event is reserved for hardware/business/service announcements. It's coming.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
I remember PS+ was banging back on the PS3, I was getting seriously amazing games and it was well worth the money. Once Sony locked MP behind a paywall PS+ turned to absolute shit, mine runs out in August and I ain't gonna bother with it anymore.

Hoping MS do this which puts pressure on Sony but I really doubt Sony give two fucks about any PR which comes out of this, if their financials suffer then they will drop PS+. I see Sony going down kicking and screaming in terms of dropping paid online, it seems to make so much money for them and they will do freaky shit to keep it going. I see PS+ and Now getting bundled at a low price for example if MS do go free.

Fuck paid online.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just in the past two months I've played Yakuza Kiwami (which I claimed a couple years ago) and Rise of the Tomb Raider on Plus, and the other July game was NBA 2K20.

So, not crap at all.

I already own Yakuza Kiwami. One of the core problems with PS+ is you pay the same shitty cost regardless of whether or not you own the free games they're giving away. There's no alternatives, no savings, nothing. You're on the hook for their garbage fee even if you get NOTHING from it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not sure how sony would react, but oh boy, it would be really awkward if MS stops charging for online while nintendo is asking money for their "service"

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
You can believe what you want but this is a case of I will believe it when I see it and the gold paywall for all games is not going anywhere. Microsoft would have announced this and been yelling how great it was for months now if it had any semblence.
Maybe, but then they could also announce it after Sony make their plans for next-gen online known and get an easy win if they were to continue with paid online, similar to the used games stuff last time around.

I don't think it's guarenteed at all but I could see how it would work for them to wait a while to say something.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like this is specifically referring to F2P games, which is still a big positive development, but not quite the megaton being ballyhooed in this thread.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft does this, Sony will have to follow suit. Maybe not immediately, because they'd be perceived as reactionary (and thus weak), but they will.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I still don't believe it will go away completely, but if it does that is cool. Still not going XSX even if the online is free, but it does mean I will stop paying my Ultimate every month and then just get GP for a month when a game I want to play comes out.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
How does fortnite makes it's money? Exactly.
Is that a counter-argument? Fortnite isn't a Microsoft product. Fortnite also doesn't have a separate product that millions of people will be opting into for MORE money than what Gold cost. Fortnite is a F2P game that prior to MTX, has no revenue streams. Microsoft has separate revenue streams. lol why am I even responding to this?

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Dropping live will only incentivize people to use gamepass and get into a potential halo battlepass. And if gamepass has to go up in price in the future its a much easier pill to swallow as a console user. Also. Yes gold is a money maker. But it's a drop In thee bucket to Microsoft. Pivoting focus entirely to a potentially more lucrative sub that isnt exclusive to a console is the way to go.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it actually seems like a really good bombshell move. I can see online being free making big waves and moving Xbox's into many homes, though not nearly enough to beat the behemoth that is Playstation. It makes a lot of sense both considering their PC games don't require a sub, and Xcloud is going to be part of the sub that includes online multiplayer right now, making it essentially free.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
They been playing chicken on price what makes you think they aren't playing chicken with this.

It will win customers back and they are just going for the dramatic entrance.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then a verified gaming insider with a history of accurate predictions was wrong, I guess?

Are you ready to eat crow when you're wrong though?
Yes I am because Microsoft is not going to drop the online paywall. are you?
They been playing chicken on price what makes you think they aren't playing chicken with this.

It will win customers back and they are just going for the dramatic entrance.
They are not going to do drop the online paywall. Straight up it's just not going to happen. they will combine it will gamepass if anything.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Dropping Gold and moving anyone who hasn't moved to Game Pass Ultimate to Game Pass Ultimate with a 1:1 transition of remaining time plus a bonus month or something along those lines would be interesting. Keep people within a service, offering them the ability to play more games now instead of just paying for Gold. 30 million GPU subs incoming!

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Complete nonsense imo.

1.) FIrst of all, while this might sound like a big thing, it won't have such a huge effect on sales as people might think. People will still go where the games are. But the cost will be absolutely massive for Microsoft.

2.) The whole argument about "getting rid of the paywall" doesn't make much sense when you still have to buy a console for $500. And people expecting Lockhart to be subsidised without Gold? That also makes no sense at all. Microsoft would lose billions, and for what? Also, Xcloud will still have a "paywall".

3.) A gold subscription is a possible gateway into higher subscriptions. It's easier to get someone to subscribe to GamePass when they already have Gold.

4.) The removal of the 12-months sub imo seems more like a way to incentivize people to upgrade to GamePass.

I don't believe that at all. You don't turn your business model to be focused on subscriptions by... removing the most succesful subscription.

Why do you care if has a big impact on sales? Aren't you a consumer? it's a big deal for consumers who get to save money over the life of the console.

And yes, since this is referring to multiplayer games, people will go where the games are.

ActusReusJB

Dec 23, 2017
Fucking finally.

So now the question I have is, what will I need to pay for to keep that years-of-gold-service ticker on my profile going.

oyutNBQ.jpg

Just switch to Gamepass. That will probably do the trick.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I already own Yakuza Kiwami. One of the core problems with PS+ is you pay the same shitty cost regardless of whether or not you own the free games they're giving away. There's no alternatives, no savings, nothing. You're on the hook for their garbage fee even if you get NOTHING from it.

So it's like Xbox Live Gold but with better games.

news.xbox.com

New Games with Gold for July 2020 - Xbox Wire

Today, we’re excited to reveal Games with Gold for July! On Xbox One, command your rally car to victory in extreme conditions in WRC 8 FIA World Rally Championship and rule the court with high-flying dunks and confidence-smashing rejections in Dunk Lords. On the Xbox 360, and Xbox One via...

I bought four 90 day subs to XBLG when I got my X1X at launch, and I still have two of them left because the quality of games offered has been so poor. AC Syndicate and Superhot were the highlights and they came out a long time ago.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Imagine being Nintendo and *just* starting the subscription service to get a bit more money and this happens

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone not notice zhugex basically saying this is only for f2p games and gold isn't going away? Should prob close thread or update title

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes I am because Microsoft is not going to drop the online paywall. are you?
They are not going to do drop the online paywall. Straight up it's just not going to happen. they will combine it will gamepass if anything.
Sure! Like I said earlier, I have no more knowledge than any of you here. I just find it funny that a bunch of randoms on an internet forum think they know better than an industry insider.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but then they could also announce it after Sony make their plans for next-gen online known and get an easy win if they were to continue with paid online, similar to the used games stuff last time around.

I don't think it's guarenteed at all but I could see how it would work for them to wait a while to say something.
Them dropping online paywall is such a big win for microsoft that if they were doing it than it's not something waiting till sony has announced stuff, it's on the level of announcing and changing the whole narritive instantly. We were promised that the software event in july was gamechanging, it was okay but definititely not earthshattering or an announcement as big as getting rid of the online paywall for all games.

Sure! Like I said earlier, I have no more knowledge than any of you here. I just find it funny that a bunch of randoms on an internet forum think they know better than an industry insider.
I don't have more knowledge but theses insiders sure have been hyping things up that turn into nothing.

Oct 26, 2017
But Sony normally bows to common sense. They can take a while, but they will. Nintendo won't follow any trend. They just want to be different. They are Lady gaga from the past times 100.
Sony, like any company, bows towards what will make them money. I don't see them moving away from paid online unless they have something to replace it in terms of revenue. As for Nintendo, well, were they being different when they went for paid online? 😋 Wouldn't bet on them dropping it. I just wouldn't bet on Sony doing so either

Eh, most of the people paying for PS+ are doing so for third party titles. This isn't exactly the case with Nintendo, when you consider stuff like Smash. I don't think either would go away in response to this news but while what you said is true, Nintendo's games in the online space are a differentiator, Sony's aren't.
That is true, Nintendo's games are a factor for why many would pay for their online, shitty as it is. At the same time though, since they aren't quite as dependent on it to make their profits, if it causes enough of a backlash to hurt their business, they can more easily move away from it. That being said, I agree in that I don't see either of them moving away from paid online for the time being

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
If Microsoft does this, Sony will have to follow suit. Maybe not immediately, because they'd be perceived as reactionary (and thus weak), but they will.

They wouldn't have to. They're the market leaders and players are fine with the idea of subscription-gated online multiplayer, thanks in no small part to Xbox.

This isn't something that will tip the scales for 99% of the audience.

Oct 25, 2017
Posted it a few times on this forum but here is him mentioning it on his podcast last week as well:

@19:45

Also believe he was on another podcast a few days before that and mentioned it too.

People should really watch this. Jeff says "he heard" so it's more than just speculation and it's gold entirely so it isn't just F2P.

Also, if it was just F2P dropping the yearly sub doesn't really make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.