• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
"Everything is stories"

No it's not. Videogame consoles are not a political party. No console ever succeeded or failed because of marketing.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
User warned: Console war rhetoric, trolling
"Damn, this new Returnal trailer is freaking bananas! Too much positivity around Sony today, the FUD shall not stop..."

octx4jt.gif

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people downplaying the idea of narratives or public opinion? Companies spend a lot of time and money crafting a brand/image. They shape it and shield it from damage.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Jim Ryan needs to keep doing what they are doing.
This article makes no sense?

Sony is retreating from smaller games? Astrobot? Sackboy?
"PlayStation's shrinking relationship with indie games "? We got Kena coming soon, we got Bugsnax which got a huge push from Playstation, last year we got stuff like Fall Guys, etc.

Saying Sony only shows those in indie events also makes no sense. We always get indie games on their big showcases as well.

Sony has studios like Media Molecule and Pixelopus and we got no idea what they are working on.

And saying Sony reduces indie games to blog posts...what are they doing with their bigger games that's different than that? lmao

Many of these articles will be memes in a few years. It's going to be amazing.

People really want Sony to be some sort of a hype machine. They don't need that.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I think there's something at odds with the way the games are being presented, the games released and upcoming games vs what people are seeing tbh. Usually there would be concern if there were actually content missing at launch and upcoming but the presentations have been pretty diverse ranging from the big games to indies. I'd probably say half the presentations always consist of it so you've kind of got to come up with better reasoning as to how exactly Sony are shying away from smaller games when the current and future content is showing the complete opposite and further more. Sony can't exactly shy away from indies especially with the upcoming VR because Indies are what helps keeps that going as well that's been pretty much said a lot at that point in reference to how indies helped the first headset. At some point ones going to question whether a quote used during the midcycle generation describing launch has relevance to a completely new generation especially when the content is showing something else

Oct 27, 2017
Good article. Feels like we get one of these every other day and that's pretty powerful over time. Sony needs to wake up and start fighting the narrative battle, because they certainly don't have a problem with making awesome games.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Full context for that. He doesn't disagree. He's talking about the reactions like we are seeing here

Similar pattern when it came to Takashi Mochizuki and more recently Jason Schreier. Former having to deal with weeks of toxicity up until the impact on what he reported on was eventually felt.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weak. Some of the conference during the Vita days were rammed. Good times.

And I agree with you that there are some issues with their messaging, but it's like you said the other day, it's as if people can't discuss those shortcomings without talking in hyperbole.

Nintendo has been relatively quiet this year too, but I'm drowning in too many Switch games to care. That's all the 'narrative' I need. Opinions, though.

Yeah, during the Vita/PS4 days you would get lists of 20+ titles announced at TGS.

I think the main problem with Sony's messaging at the moment is that it seems like they are making issues for themselves more than anything, even if none are glaring.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I threw my PS5 away because how terrible the narrative is, hope season 2 is better.

This is my biggest frustration with this thread. I get that you're joking. But the joke is that wouldn't it be absurd if you threw away your PS5 because of "the narrative." And yes, of course that would be absurd. No where in my article or video did I try to imply that people should feel bad about owning a PS5 because Jim Ryan isn't good at telling a story about the PS brand. If you're not interested in having a discussion about narrative, that's fine. But you don't have to pretend like I was attacking your personal choices because of some light criticism for Jim Ryan's marketing style and strategic decisions.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Wasn't one of the more recent SOP and even last year's PS5 event filled with indie games? To the point, some people thought was wasting time showing them? What is this dude talking about? Lmao.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What ever the narrative allegedly is at least games are currently releasing and planned from Sony on the PS5. Actually delivering great games no longer seems to matter, for now at least ;-).

Rex1157

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I might would take this article more seriously if it weren't coming from someone with such a history of bias.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Look, I think Grubb is wrong about the indies with Sony. That I think is pretty clear. Do I think Sony is as high on them as they used to be? It remains to be seen, but I'm not so sure they are. Do I think they are abandoning them? Not now. It doesn't seem that way but it also doesn't seem to be a relationship as high as it used to be. When the PS4 started out and was an indie machine, I recall many begging Nintendo and Microsoft(mostly Nintendo) to be like Sony. Nintendo eventually did and that's why they seem to overshadow Sony on the Indie scene. Microsoft also seems to be trying to reach out to indies, but we'll see how much they mean it soon enough I guess.

It's one of those things where Sony went all out for the indies and maybe they are trying to maintain that relationship but they don't have to make a big show of it like they used to and that may give off an appearance of them drifting away rather than standing pat. Again, we'll see. Time always tells and I think, at best, Grubb is getting out ahead of himself.

In the end, Sony's PR sucks. Playstation is an incredibly marketable brand but it has a cloud hovering over it, especially lately. When I looked at the two next gen systems last holiday I saw no reason to get either. Right now, I see Sony doing no favors for itself while Microsoft is convincing me to get the Xbox. It's not a decision I'm making anytime soon, but marketing matters. It sure as hell did last gen when I went from a 360 owner to a Ps4 owner.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
it's surreal that we're at the point where we're arguing whether or not marketing is real or if narratives in the public sector form because of it when a huge part of why there is such a dominant, die-hard Sony fan presence here is coming off the back of their success during the last generation. Which, I think we can all agree (because at this point it's the accepted oral history) that part of why the PS4 mopped the floor with the Xbox One so badly at launch was because Don Mattrick was a fool who didn't understand why people liked the Xbox, went all-in on TV and sports, clearly didn't care about indies after the success of XLBA, pushed for always-online DRM, mocked people who wanted 360 backwards compatibility, and delivered a console that at launch was noticeably underpowered compared to the visual leap the PS4 offered in head-to-head showdowns between multiplatform titles.

like, that's a narrative. there were tons of editorials and opinion pieces and "FUD" spread about the Xbox last generation, and most of it was completely true and the narrative did in fact get so bad that Microsoft cleaned house. At one point they were considering selling off the Xbox brand. That's how bad it got, and I really doubt anyone here acting incredibly offended at the idea that Jim Ryan is currently not doing the best he could with putting the PS5 forward as the best console option right now would disagree with that. Remember the famous "how to share games with your friends on PS4" video? That was marketing. That was narrative. And yes, Phil's success in rehabilitating the brand is also a narrative.

yes, in a vacuum I agree that the only thing that matters is the games. I wish we lived in a world where that were true. the world would be a better place if all of these corporations disappeared tomorrow; but instead video games is a shitty business, and business moves have to be looked at for what they are. if you want to engage with discussion about the business side of things at all. Acting shocked and surprised when someone whose job it is to read the business tea leaves attempts to read the tea leaves is beyond asinine.

Last edited:

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
So many of these articles and things i'm seeing lately feel like such a reach to paint this grey ass doomy picture of Sony right now...

really don't get it myself. Like after the way the PS4 played out and the final year or two on that system I have more confidence in Sony than i have since the fuckin PS2 was out there crushin skulls.
Tons of Indie games on the PS5 reveal, tons still showing up in the store constantly. I must be fairly insulated. So many of the threads around here for this kind of stuff have felt alien af to my own experience.

I don't know who these people are who are wavering on a ps5, for example. every single person that i play regularly on my friends list is either hustling to get one or already has one.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Remember when everyone mocked the PS4 early on by calling it the IndieStation 4? Good times.

Now it's, where are the indies?

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Heh, negative Sony news are really hot right now, so fair play.

I'll let y'all worry about narratives and get to playing all the games that are coming on the platform, and that includes a shitton of indies.

Judging by this website alone you'd think Playstation is sinking , it's hilarious.

Aug 14, 2020
It was a good article, agree with it mostly. I just don't buy the narrative that Sony no longer cares about smaller games. There's a whole range of smaller games they've promoted and been supporting since the PS5 reveal;

- Bugsnax
- Oddworld
- Kena
- Solar Ash
- Stray
- Devil Inside
- Knock Out Brawl
- Sifu

These were all promoted during a main Playstation Event (PS5 Showcase, State of Play), and not relegated to blog posts (where they've promoted a lot more).

Granted, they don't have their own indie platform like Xbox or Nintendo, but there's still an active investment in smaller titles happening even if it's more reserved.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Surely the "narrative" can't happen independently of the gaming media. Or maybe I'm massively out of touch.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many of these articles and things i'm seeing lately feel like such a reach to paint this grey ass doomy picture of Sony right now...

really don't get it myself. Like after the way the PS4 played out and the final year or two on that system I have more confidence in Sony than i have since the fuckin PS2 was out there crushin skulls.
Tons of Indie games on the PS5 reveal, tons still showing up in the store constantly. I must be fairly insulated. So many of the threads around here for this kind of stuff have felt alien af to my own experience.

I don't know who these people are who are wavering on a ps5, for example. every single person that i play regularly on my friends list is either hustling to get one or already has one.

This doomy picture feels a little like what happened pre-ps4 days. The difference is that at the time the doomy narrative was more overblown with takes like Playstation being over and stuff.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it's surreal that we're at the point where we're arguing whether or not marketing is real or if narratives in the public sector form because of it when a huge part of why there is such a dominant, die-hard Sony fan presence here is coming off the back of their success during the last generation. Which, I think we can all agree (because at this point it's the accepted oral history) that part of why the PS4 mopped the floor with the Xbox One so badly at launch was because Don Mattrick was a fool who didn't understand why people liked the Xbox, went all-in on TV and sports, clearly didn't care about indies after the success of XLBA, pushed for always-online DRM, mocked people who wanted 360 backwards compatibility, and delivered a console that at launch was noticeably underpowered compared to the visual leap the PS4 offered in head-to-head showdowns between multiplatform titles.

like, that's a narrative. there were tons of editorials and opinion pieces and "FUD" spread about the Xbox last generation, and most of it was completely true and the narrative did in fact get so bad that Microsoft cleaned house. At one point they were considering selling off the Xbox brand. That's how bad it got, and I really doubt anyone here acting incredibly offended at the idea that Jim Ryan is currently not doing the best he could with putting the PS5 forward as the best console option right now would disagree with that. Remember the famous "how to share games with your friends on PS4" video? That was marketing. That was narrative. And yes, Phil's success in rehabilitating the brand is also a narrative.

yes, in a vacuum I agree that the only thing that matters is the games. I wish we lived in a world where that were true. the world would be a better place if all of these corporations disappeared tomorrow. but instead video games is a shitty business, and business moves have to be looked at for what they are, if you want to engage with discussion about the business side of things at all. Acting shocked and surprised when someone whose job it is to read the business tea leaves attempts to read the tea leaves is beyond asinine.
Thank you. I thought I was tripping for a second after reading that post because marketing is the lifeblood of this industry lol

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
This is my biggest frustration with this thread. I get that you're joking. But the joke is that wouldn't it be absurd if you threw away your PS5 because of "the narrative." And yes, of course that would be absurd. No where in my article or video did I try to imply that people should feel bad about owning a PS5 because Jim Ryan isn't good at telling a story about the PS brand. If you're not interested in having a discussion about narrative, that's fine. But you don't have to pretend like I was attacking your personal choices because of some light criticism for Jim Ryan's marketing style and strategic decisions.
I don't care about the narrative or the marketing. I bought both platforms because they each have their strengths and a draw for me as a gamer.

Jim Ryan doesn't need to tell a story because Playstation has become the Band-Aid or Kleenex of the console world. It will sell no matter the "narrative".

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020

Well that's the point, no? You may be in a bubble so to speak, and that's fine. You have validated your feelings. However, even with those facts that validate your feelings, there is something (a narrative that Sony is perpetuating) that is preventing some others from feeling the same way. I was excited for the Ps5 for the same reason you were. The Ps4 was amazing. But I'm watching Sony and Microsoft and Sony's handling of the brand seems off. Whereas Microsoft seems to be on point and that really sticks out. So much so that I, and a few people I know, are slowly more interesting in the Xbox even though we know Sony is going to have those big 1st party games that Microsoft just doesn't have.

Although, I will contend that I will likely end up getting the Ps5 down the line just for those games. Similar to how I got a Ps3 at the end of its life to play the Last of us and whatnot haha.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly agree. The message matters. People say the story doesn't matter but there are teams whose jobs revolve around this stuff (i.e. marketing). It very much matters.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I think concerns about Sony becoming Blockbuster focused are legitimate, but some of the articles online shouting doom and gloom just scream attention to me.

Imagine complaining about the PS5's output when comparing to the competition.

Well unless you're an Arcade Racer fan like me. :(

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
"Everything is stories"

No it's not. Videogame consoles are not a political party. No console ever succeeded or failed because of marketing.
Dreamcast, Wii U, Vita, Xbox One , first years of the PS3 on the negative side of marketing...

PS, PS2, PS4, Wii, DS, Switch etc on the positive side of the spectrum...

Pretty sure there is (un)succesful marketing is involved here