• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Not really part of the article but I've seen the whole "PS has AAA and indies, so they're covering all their bases" or "They're not promoting indies enough".

Both of which I feel is kind of off the mark as it seems the biggest complaints are a lack of AA content in the pipeline currently (Compared to say stuff like Medievil & Concrete Genie).

Don't really have anything to add, but I think the entire conversation seems aimed at those middle experiences which truth be told have been less and less from every platform holder in some form as things have gone on. Rather than the other angles people try to bring up.
Personally I think we will see more AA experiences with easier development time being emphasized by the companies for reasons to get more content out there.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
c66bWny.png
lmaoo

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Lmao sony just sent off the ps4 with a bang launched with a shit ton of exclusives, has a bunch more announced and coming this year or soon after and has been constantly promoting indies in showcases that people complain are filled with too many indies .

Is PR and Marketing really that important to people ?

Honestly the fact that this is aimed at Jim Ryan says more than anything else in the article. People really got themselves fucked up with the fact that he doesn't like to talk as much as Phil Spencer

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Their PR strategy is shitting the bed. Not sure how they blew all the goodwill they had in a matter of months.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Platform war rhetoric
Guess microsoft didn't have anything for him to leak this week

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
If Returnal ends up being great or really good I feel like a lot of these Sony negativity is going to go away. Not that it should, they need to be called out on plenty of stuff and improve but the solid game lineup just keeps delivering and masking some of those problems for the most part.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Not really part of the article but I've seen the whole "PS has AAA and indies, so they're covering all their bases" or "They're not promoting indies enough".

Both of which I feel is kind of off the mark as it seems the biggest complaints are a lack of AA content in the pipeline currently (Compared to say stuff like Medievil & Concrete Genie).

Don't really have anything to add, but I think the entire conversation seems aimed at those middle experiences which truth be told have been less and less from every platform holder in some form as things have gone on. Rather than the other angles people try to bring up.

I would say "AAs" these days (not only on PS) are also indies. Not every indie is 2D/side-scroller etc., we have things like Valheim, Call of the Sea, Hades, Phasmophobia, Paradise Killer... that before would be called "AA".

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Lmao sony just sent off the ps4 with a bang launched with a shit ton of exclusives, has a bunch more announced and coming this year or soon after and has been constantly promoting indies in showcases that people complain are filled with too many indies .

Honestly the fact that this is aimed at Jim Ryan says more than anything else in the article. People really got themselves fucked up with the fact that he doesn't like to talk as much as Phil Spencer
People need their game hype catnip like cyberpunk 2077 clearly.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have my issues with Sony as an owner of their platform, but it doesn't seem like Western Indie teams are skipping PS5?

That Ryan quote is kinda shitty to read though.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony doesn't support small games is like when people would say Nintendo doesn't make new ip and you'd point them out and get hit with the "those don't count"

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't buy the "Sony is retreating from smaller games" narrative. Last month they just spent a few hours on twitter announcing indie games (and have done so quite a few times) and giving them a bit of spotlight

On TWITTER you say?

lol

I'm sorry, but whenever I see twitter annoucements I just can't help but smirk

May 17, 2018
Jim Ryan, please be my friend like Aaron Greenberg and Phil Spencer, thank you.
But this article is from a different author on a different website. I don't understand why you would combine them?
How are yall not realizing those are different people writing the two articles for different sites.

I think the idea is to compare how clear it is that there's no actual "narrative" here, just, what's in Grubb's head/circle of friends.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Pr and marketing is usually the way we see and hear about games.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I would say "AAs" games these days (not only on PS) are also indies. Not every indie is 2D/side-scroller etc., we have things like Valheim, Call of the Sea, Hades, Phasmophobia, Paradise Killer... that before would be called "AA".

That's definitely true. I think the difference in this particular case would be just what is on offer and how it's being offered via platform holders. I personally love stuff like Bugsnax but can see why it's not covering the bases others want, especially when it comes to certain genres and the like.

Definitely a situation where there's a lot of different avenues and such to consider.

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
What a strange comment about indies after the last few State of Plays Sony gave, cant agree with that at all.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's odd that he uses an almost 4 year old quote from Jim Ryan regarding Indies to confirm his own statement that Sony are moving away from Indies, when their focus over the last year has been blatantly moving back towards indies again.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I don't know, it's starting to sound like the more headlines and notoriety Jeff Grub gets the more he thinks he needs headlines.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
On TWITTER you say?

lol

I'm sorry, but whenever I see twitter annoucements I just can't help but smirk
There was also the February SOP and the PS5 reveal both heavily featuring indies, also been the main PS5 PS+ stuff that's usually a day 1 indie. But Jim Ryan blowing smoke up are arses is more important for the narrative than actions I guess.

Tezza

Nov 15, 2017
Gamers are funny, all I read on Era after the last few State of Plays was "where was the AAA games, this is just smaller games getting air time"

Now it's Sony only care about AAA games 😂

Zones

Oct 28, 2017
The truth is, negative PlayStation news is hot when it comes to clicks, so all these personalities / websites are making this fake narrative to stir up shit and benefit directly from it.

Why is it fake you may ask? Well last year's two biggest PS5 showcases were filled with indies (even awful looking ones like Goodbye Volcano High), and their State of Play presentations have been highly criticized for focusing too much on indies, but now there's a narrative in place to generate clicks that tell us Sony doesn't care about indies like Kena, Bugsnax, and Stray, nor do they fund / produce mid-tier games like Sackboy, Destruction All-Stars, Astro's Playroom, and Returnal.

We are being told in the same sentence that Sony is risk-averse because they have abandoned a sequel to a commercially successful game (Days Gone) for a new IP... seriously how more fake can you be?

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
This whole thing is weird to me. The original story was really a non-story IMO. Giant company doesn't greenlight sequel to a game and hands over development of a remake to the studio that made the original... there's literally nothing there that is concerning. It sounds like business as usual to me.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think we do, but that's a narrative everyone bought after Schreier report, now eveyone believes PlayStation doesn't care about smaller games.
Schriers article actually had some meat to it where this imo is actual hyperbole. Id bet money Grubb is just trying to piggyback off Jason's article with a much weaker presentation.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I think people need to calm down a bit and wait to see what this summer brings us. These "narratives" seemed forced (remember a year ago the narrative was that MS doesn't believe in generations while Sony does, implying a clean break from PS4... then Sony showed that several of their games are cross-gen).

That's not to say that there isn't some merit here but even the "narrative" is a bit confused. This article says people will get bored of sequels but Sony actually killed a sequel and put Bend on a new IP. That is probably because Days Gone didn't set the world on fire, but... let's see what Bend has cooking.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So let me get this straight:
Sony showed a bunch of indies in their major PS5 reveal event, have monthly launches of indies on PS+, does multiple events with them throughout the year between state of play, a day of indie trailers and the same for VR trailers.
But they are distancing themselves from indies based on... an interview from 2017, when since SIE has established a dedicated indie division headed by Shuhei Yoshida and reporting directly to Jim Ryan?
This feels badly researched.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This whole thing is weird to me. The original story was really a non-story IMO. Giant company doesn't greenlight sequel to a game and hands over development of a remake to the studio that made the original... there's literally nothing there that is concerning. It sounds like business as usual to me.
Yeah I agree, its typical management of your portfolio happens damn near everywhere with projects lol. Its really making a mountain out of an anthill, without knowing the reasons for those key decisions which I'm sure were deliberated between the studios etc it really is just a random industry story.