• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
I hope something PD drops in 2023... The year the original game takes place (goddamn)

LewLew

Jul 21, 2020
So is it a perfect dark universe game?
fetchimage

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
I feel like I'm seeing much more people crying out for "new IP" in The Initiative/Perfect Dark related threads than in any other threads which is especially weird considering the franchise only has two games under its banner and the latest one was released 15 years ago so it's basically like a new IP at this point.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
If it's not going to be an FPS then don't bother, the point of Perfect Dark is it follows the Goldeneye lineage. There is absolutely no reason a stealth game has to be 3rd person, some of the most beloved ones are first person.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
If returning to Perfect Dark leads to a great game, then there's no issue.

Don't get so caught up on old vs new IP.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of this sounds Unnatural to me.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you too that it's always nice to see new IP but you can clearly see none of the major console suppliers or even major third party are releasing a ton of new IP either. It's just the nature of this business.

They do need to do a new direction with it though, not like what Coalition was doing when they took over Gears.
Ehhh, I think you could argue it's been so long since the last Perfect Dark game, and they could put their own spin on it, it will essentially be a "new ip".

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The discarded ideas for the old cancled PD game would make for an interesting Sci-fi setting.

May 19, 2020
Insider: It's a Perfect Dark game.
Everyone: Wow, Perfect Dark!
Insider: Actually, it's not.

The rumormongering and the salivation over it in this community is honestly embarrassing at times.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm seeing much more people crying out for "new IP" in The Initiative/Perfect Dark related threads than in any other threads which is especially weird considering the franchise only has two games under its banner and the latest one was released 15 years ago so it's basically like a new IP at this point.
I agree. This need to have constantly unknown IPs revealed can be laborious. As you say they are only 2 games, with a massive time gap between them. Working with a 1st party established IP that hasn't had its well run dry, is Rare these days...(that was unintentional XD) Adding that it's possibly a 3rd Person action as well, where the others are FPS, it totally makes sense. I look forward to it!

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I hope "plays in that universe" isnt just an excuse to replace joanna dark with a white dude

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hope "plays in that universe" isnt just an excuse to replace joanna dark with a white dude

It will be a white dude bro that cusses every few words. stealth? pfft, shoot bang all the way baby!

*Bonus points if they sabotage joanna's character ala Metroid other M. Sorry Jo, you need white man's permission to fire your weapon!

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Yeah I don't get it. I've been waiting for a new PD for what feels like eons, but not like this. I have a hard time believing this rumor because why would you bring back a FPS franchise after what, 10+ years and transform it into a TPS? Doesn't make sense.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
MS is trying their best to regain their OG Xbox/360 hardcore audience, which is good I suppose but this was really the time to go in big on a new IP

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Fuck! I was expecting it to be something else, I personally wanted a new IP. I hated PD when I was
a kid, never liked it. I never liked the art style nor the setting, nor the gameplay. It just wasn't my thing. People say that the series has been dormant for so long that it might as well be a new thing. It's not, if you are still bound by the world in which PD was born in, it's not a new thing. And if you want to change something so much, why not just do a new thing? Anyway, the third person aspect does makes it better for me, and I will see what they do with it. I will give it a shot when they show more of it.

P.S. this is just MY opinion, obviously, before people get all mad because I don't like PD. I can have an opinion, correct?

P.S.2. If they were going to use a Rare IP, I wish it was Jet Force Gemini 😭 now that game I loved!

Jul 13, 2020
I prefer 3rd person. It feels more immersive for me watching my avatar interact with the environment than first person does.

And LOL and Andrea concern-trolling the "risk" of a Perfect Dark game.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Third person reminds me of Gears and Uncharted and.....I'm just...good on that.

If I'm going to be a soy give me that first person view instead of ducking behind a desk and seeing the whole damn room.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
Is that GaaS comment in OP true? This is going to sound like 'concern' and I don't want it to, but I really hope that MS pushing things into game pass doesn't lead to everything being GaaS in order to monetise more.
Anyway Perfect Dark Zero was a real highlight for me in early 360 era, I really hope they do this justice if true.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Is that GaaS comment in OP true? This is going to sound like 'concern' and I don't want it to, but I really hope that MS pushing things into game pass doesn't lead to everything being GaaS in order to monetise more.
Anyway Perfect Dark Zero was a real highlight for me in early 360 era, I really hope they do this justice if true.
Just a random viewer speculating, there is no concrete information on how the game will work.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Does anybody even care about Perfect Dark as a franchise? It was a cool N64 game but do we really need a game that strips it of it's identity? I think people just wanted more of the same rather than more Perfect Dark for the story

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree.

tps-spatial-l5kwb.jpg

fps-spatial-whksq.jpg

That's one of the reasons why it is better. The player should not be able to see over/around objects the character cannot.

Why not? To me it's a great way to use the players perspective to simulate the characters awareness/ intuition.

Also if your going to mix ranged combat with hand to, especially if enemies will be attacking from multiple directions, 3rd person is generally the way to go.

Last edited:

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Not sure about third person, but I've got 5 years to mull it over before this thing comes out so maybe my opinion will change.

Jan 4, 2018
Yeah I don't get it. I've been waiting for a new PD for what feels like eons, but not like this. I have a hard time believing this rumor because why would you bring back a FPS franchise after what, 10+ years and transform it into a TPS? Doesn't make sense.

As a huge fan of the IP, I would prefer a new 1st-person PD game with the DOOM 2016 treatment but a new take on the franchise by The Initiative (and maybe another studio ?) sounds exciting too because it would have a proper budget, proper resources and a proper ambition (unlike Perfect Dark Zero and its ridiculously small 25-people development team that had to rush at speedlight the game for Xbox 360 launch).

Reboots like Metroid Prime, Fallout 3, Resident Evil 7, Ninja Gaiden, Rainbow Six Siege or God of War were big departures from the previous titles yet still feel (mostly) respectful of the DNA.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It severely diminishes the threat/tension/immersion in stealth if you can see around obstacles without having to take risks and potentially expose yourself to danger.
Alien: Isolation has several great moments like this, where you observe a scene through a grating as you are crawling through the vents, or where you could be hiding from the Xeonomorph underneath a desk without being able to see it. Being able to hear a threat, but not see it, dramatically increases the tension of a scene like that - especially since you are often unable to hide in the same location and wait it out; being forced to take risks. Having a third-person perspective would ruin that game.

Corey

Apr 9, 2018
Upstate, NY
Honestly, by "AAAA" I immediately went to something that's Rockstar tier. GTA, Red Dead, massive open world with a long story and a huge online component where you can live in that world with your friends. Maybe this can still be it? But I doubt it, which makes me slightly less excited.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Since Ubisoft is hellbent on not providing a proper splinter cell I welcome this.

Dec 25, 2018
Status
Not open for further replies.