• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft spend like 300 million dollars to get Rare and their IPs, may as well start making more use of the latter, as they already did with KI and Battletoads.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Presumably for expanded stealth gameplay. Third-person is far superior for situational awareness.

I've said this pretty recently in other threads but I really hope this Perfect Dark is like MGSV in medium-scale, closed-off maps, with a ton of verticality. Legit a dream game of mine.

Also, I hope it's still campy in its story tone. While I don't outright reject it, I just don't think PD works in a serious, grounded manner, but it'd be interesting to be proven wrong if that's the case.

Perfect Dark in third-person, with open-ended traversal with gameplay design that scale from being an outright shooter to a stealth game with ease (hence the MGSV evocation) with a campy story is one of my dream games right now.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I agree, that original post of mine was just my knee jerk reaction to finding out it's a PD game. We haven't seen anything of it yet but yeah, I'm still a little disappointed at this point that it's not a new IP is all. Once they show gameplay of it I will hopefully completely change my tune.

It's still on my radar for sure, I'm looking forward to seeing how it is shaping up late this year or next (hopefully).
I agree with you too that it's always nice to see new IP but you can clearly see none of the major console suppliers or even major third party are releasing a ton of new IP either. It's just the nature of this business.

They do need to do a new direction with it though, not like what Coalition was doing when they took over Gears.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I don't see how first person is better for stealth when stealth requires spatial awareness something first person is really bad at.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
2 sci-fi fps, 1 is enough
One is about shooting aliens as a super soldier, the other is a spy shooter with some globe trotting and wacky gadget weapons.

That's without getting into how the games are so wildly different mechanically or how mission objectives are handled in each game.

As opposed to what? Any first person shooter feels relatively the same. We don't have enough good third person shooters by comparison. I'd much rather this route.
except PD plays nothing like your typical fps.

Having another shallow, set piece driven game where the player spends more time going "oooh" and "ahhh" at what they are watching, and less about any sort of interesting mechanics isn't exactly my idea of fun.

I'd be more into this if they were actually going to tweak the IP into a stealth ip, but even that in the triple A space amounts to little more than basic line of sight stealth with binary phases from the AI, one button take downs, and rigid arenas that don't let one get creative with the systems barring Hitman.

The FPS space also could use a game like PD or No one Lives forever, the wacky gadget weapons play fantastic in a genre all about using fun weapons.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I agree with you too that it's always nice to see new IP but you can clearly see none of the major console suppliers or even major third party are releasing a ton of new IP either. It's just the nature of this business.

Sony released many this gen tbh.

I'm fine with PD, but a new AAA IP by MS would be nice.

Jan 4, 2018
Local MP was so much fun

Throw a laptop gun on the wall, duck down, aim with the FarSight with it's player tracking mode (yes, player tracking mode!) on

Glace over at your friend next to you

"Where is your God now?"

Map: Felicity
Weapons: proximity mines, proximity pinball grenades, N-grenades, Devastator

Map: Grid
7 DarkSims, Free-for-all

Welcom to hell.

Another rollercoaster after the Fable/PD twitter accounts thread.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna assume a "Perfect Dark" game but it's not actually Perfect Dark?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm really anticipating the announcement to this. With this, Hellblade 2 and Avowed, Microsoft seems to finally be making games that appeal to me and will likely push me to buy my first Xbox.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
PD without Laptop Gun and a weapon that can see though walls (Farsight or that X-Ray weapon, Shockwave Iirc ?) is not a PD game.
I specifically hope they include the PD1 incarnation - the one shot one kill, perfect target locator, no range limit one. The one designed to stop campers, that one. Accept no substitutes!

slabrock

Oct 25, 2017
wasn't a big fan of PD:Z (didn't play the original on N64) but a 3rd person spy game seems pretty cool. Wish Obsidian got another crack at Alpha Protocol.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Third person would be kinda disappointing, but really I only care about the original anyway, so just bring Rare Replay to windows plz

Jan 4, 2018
I specifically hope they include the PD1 incarnation - the one shot one kill, perfect target locator, no range limit one. The one designed to stop campers, that one. Accept no substitutes!

DapperDelectableBee-size_restricted.gif

'The only weapon to match it, is someone else with a FarSight, and a faster and better aim than you. The camper's dream weapon and also the camper's nightmare weapon.'

The best weapon ever.

... seconded by the Slayer and the Laptop Gun.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
They should have been leaning into a first-person immersive sim with Perfect Dark.
Third-person is garbage for stealth and world interaction.

The wide FOV makes 3rd person perfect for stealth. Gives the player a much higher sense of awareness than FPS.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Perfect Dark had great atmosphere I hope it is true and they do it justice as a AAA story driven game, not another Zero.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I am just amazed that people are digging through Twitch chat from some random podcast to find some news.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how first person is better for stealth when stealth requires spatial awareness something first person is really bad at.
Having an out-of-body experience and being able to see around corners and over/through obstacles to eliminate the player ever having to take a risk is not "spatial awareness".
World design is completely different for third-person games because the camera can't handle tight spaces, and interaction is typically reduced to "press X near the glowing object", rather than actually being able to search a room for the thing you were sent in to find.

The wide FOV makes 3rd person perfect for stealth. Gives the player a much higher sense of awareness than FPS.
First-person games are not required to use a narrow FOV.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Internet: "Is it 3rd person Perfect Dark?"

Jeff: "It is, it's Perfect Dark."

Internet: "did you confirm Perfect Dark?"

Jeff: "confirm is a loaded word"

These leakers crack me up LOL. Immediately after getting the attention they crave, they always seem to backpedal lol. Like the guy in the Star Fox thread...

Internet: "Star Fox Grand Prix was a plant"

Leaker: "no it wasnt, this is not true"

Internet: "so it's real?"

Leaker: "no it might be fake but I just don't think it's a plant"

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
One is about shooting aliens as a super soldier, the other is a spy shooter with some globe trotting and wacky gadget weapons.

That's without getting into how the games are so wildly different mechanically or how mission objectives are handled in each game.

except PD plays nothing like your typical fps.

Having another shallow, set piece driven game where the player spends more time going "oooh" and "ahhh" at what they are watching, and less about any sort of interesting mechanics isn't exactly my idea of fun.

I'd be more into this if they were actually going to tweak the IP into a stealth ip, but even that in the triple A space amounts to little more than basic line of sight stealth with binary phases from the AI, one button take downs, and rigid arenas that don't let one get creative with the systems barring Hitman.

The FPS space also could use a game like PD or No one Lives forever, the wacky gadget weapons play fantastic in a genre all about using fun weapons.
Well, guess we'll find out what it looks like in 2024.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't even know who Jeff Grubb is but he's been saying a lot of shit lately and I've seen none of it pan out. I guess we'll see if there's that Nintendo Direct Friday.

I hope this is true though - it would be cool to have another major stealth series again.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Of course the FPS with the pretty lady comes back 3rd person :P

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Having an out-of-body experience and being able to see around corners and over/through obstacles to eliminate the player ever having to take a risk is not "spatial awareness".
World design is completely different for third-person games because the camera can't handle tight spaces, and interaction is typically reduced to "press X near the glowing object", rather than actually being able to search a room for the thing you were sent in to find.

First person lacks the peripheral view humans naturally have though. Thats why third person is better.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

First-person games are not required to use a narrow FOV.

They arent, but your perspective is limited by the characters perspective. Having an outer body camera eliminates this limitation.

Also a good designer is going to make fov limitations so that people playing on tv aren't getting sick or struggling with depth perception

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
On one hand, I have never liked Perfect Dark, but on the other it's only had like 2 games and it's been years so I'm not gonna pre judge anything. Hope they make something good, especially with the talent they have acquired on that team.

Oct 29, 2017
I think this sounds great.

And regarding concerns over the IP-- the last Perfect Dark game was 15 years ago and the last well-received Perfect Dark game was 20 years ago. It's not like people have strict expectations. They can do whatever they want with the IP as long as it includes a female spy and aliens.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
I don't see the point of being dismissive of either first-person or third-person until we get to see the game. If they get a good mix of stealth espionage/action/atmosphere going it could be a great game, I just hope it's nothing like Uncharted.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the people they've been hiring and the fact that it's a TPS I imagine it will be some Naughty Dog-like action adventure prestige cinematic experience. If it's stealth-focused that would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.