• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Context matters. Honestly, some of what you say makes more or less sense depending on the presence (or lack of) context.

Sure, you'll make more money on software than on hardware, but that doesn't mean you need to take a loss on the hardware. There's a reason why Nintendo doesn't take a loss on hardware in most cases. I mean, look at the new audience that Nintendo appealed to with Wii. Huge audience, sure, but too many members of that new audience only purchased Wii for Wii Sports. You know, the pack-in game. Had Nintendo sold Wii at a loss, that new audience would've been more of a negative than a positive. Despite Nintendo making a lot of money on Wii, in the end, that new audience was still looked at as somewhat of a negative, not because of lost money but because of a poor attach rate and a lack of dedication from that audience. No company that's taking a loss on hardware and doesn't have a decent stable of services wants that segment of the audience.

Sony doesn't have the same range of services that Microsoft does. You may want to compare PlayStation Plus to Xbox LIVE Gold, and you may want to compare PlayStation Now to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, but Sony's services aren't evolving as Microsoft's are to create more of a value proposition, let alone a revenue stream. Plus, Microsoft's services aren't even limited to consumers, as Azure (which Sony makes use of, FYI) ensures a robust cloud infrastructure that a lot of developers use, which puts Microsoft in a much better position to monetize its business from more angles (especially considering the popularity of Games as a Service).

Now, regarding $599 being a 'ridiculous' price, that's not a ridiculous price for PlayStation 5 OR Xbox Series X, provided they're both the same price. I mean, they're competing systems, so too much of a price disparity would mean that there's some sort of catch, right? Obviously, Microsoft shot the possibility of two competing $599 consoles to Hell, and things are complicated now. I truly believe that Sony wants to charge $599 for SOMETHING, and I don't think that's an option in either sense anymore.

If Sony charges $599 for PlayStation 5, then PlayStation 5 DE's pricing - at best - will be $499. Guess what: $499 just became the 'ridiculous' price in this scenario, because Sony's compromised SKU isn't even in the same ballpark as Microsoft's compromised SKU. Honestly, even $499 and $399 would probably go down similarly in this scenario, as the response to the now 'ridiculous' $399 price would be that Sony should've done more to decrease the bill of materials to make it a more competitive console. That said, PlayStation 5 DE doesn't look quite as bad in the $499/$399 scenario, but Sony's likely taking a much larger loss on what'll end up being the more popular SKU. Sure, that's true of Xbox Series S, as well, but Microsoft isn't pushing hardware as hard as or in the same fashion as Sony.

If Sony charges $599 for PlayStation 5 DE, then yeah, $599 becomes the 'ridiculous' price, whereas $649 for PlayStation 5 is just the premium model's price. They're both terrible prices compared to the competition, but I do think this was in the cards at some point. If we use $499 and $549 instead, then it's the same deal. And I want to clarify that both prices are terrible because of Sony's poor planning, not because they're both higher. They just offer less flexibility.

When you look back, PlayStation 3's launch price only looked bad relative to Xbox 360's launch price, just as Xbox One's launch price only looked bad relative to PlayStation 4's launch price. Everything's relative, but Microsoft's reasoning for pricing its console is completely different from Sony's.

I don't think PS3 was going to be attractive at that price regardless. The demand for it was so much lower. PS2 was flying, was cheap and had great games even in its last year.

Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei Yoshida admits it was a mistake. At UK game conference Develop, the executive labelled the PS3 launch price as "horrifying".

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't think PS3 was going to be attractive at that price regardless. The demand for it was so much lower. PS2 was flying, was cheap and had great games even in its last year.

The stupid thing is that, even at that "horrifying" price for the PS3, they were still reportedly taking something like a $300 loss on those early launch consoles. Cell was the problem. Neat tech, but an apocalyptically bad business decision.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft literally just did this (One X was $299 before it was discontinued), so I wouldn't put it past Sony to do it too.
Why did you cut off what followed? It explained the option that i dont think Sony will opt for. And MS have discontinued the One X, so that doesnt work technically. PS4 Pro is still sold at that RRP, feels unlikely they'll price their top spec'd next gen machine (diskless) the same as their last gen console that they're still selling. Unless they take a huge cut. Which i dont think they will.

Sony is absolutely willing to take a similar loss. It knows that is part of launching a new generation. But I don't think it wants to lose a dollar more than it has to, and I'm sure there are some at Sony who believe it can get away with a higher price. I'm on the edge of my seat.

Welp, there we go.

Last edited:

Phoenix Down

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is this the general mindset of Xbox Era? It can't be..

Selling at a loss has been expected, just wonder how much on the S?

I don't even think the loss will effect MS's bottom line at the end of the day. They could literally get away with packing the series S in cereal boxes for free . The only program is it won't fit.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
I've said many times Sony would really love to get to that $399 price, especially now. There is some damage work at play though because how can you make a compelling argument that the PS5 regular should be $100 more (if the disk itself only adds $30 to the costs) unless the SSD is smaller for the digital like the Series S is? The design isn't really any smaller for the digital, in fact it looks better without the bulge.

Sony wants to keep Playstation fans but at the same time they don't want to poke the bear and promote digital too much. That will also upset retailers which maybe Sony doesn't care about any longber, as seen by their new loyalty plan to pre-order. But a lot of the loyal fans also prefer physical and now you are suggesting they need to pay a premium?

If Sony really wanted to go for the jugular they would price the PS5 at $449 and the digital at $399. That would be the best case scenario and everyone would be happy. But there would be losses on the hardware for Sony.

Sony has the position of market leader and brand loyalty is high, you could easily justify a split of $450 (digital) $499 ( disc) and ignore the Series S all together, but I think that would be a missed opportunity.

If you can make the numbers work. I think you have to try and hit $399.

Even without a Series S, a $399 PS5 is very compelling offering for the market place.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I have this feeling Sony are going to come in higher. 479-499

Same. My dark horse bet is that the DE was actually their way of hitting a $499 price point, and the standard PS5 costs $549. Assuming they don't reactively choose to take a bigger hit in response to Microsoft's announcements, of course.

But I think doing that would also be kinda foolish for Sony. You outsold the Xbox 2:1 this generation. You're in the driver's seat. Microsoft need to take a bath to try and regain competitive foothold, whereas being the leader means Sony can be a bit looser, safe in the knowledge that the PS5 is going to sell gangbusters either way.

Not so loose that you have another PS3 situation, of course. But I certainly see no reason for them to go below $499.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony has the position of market leader and brand loyalty is high, you could easily justify a split of $450 (digital) $499 ( disc) and ignore the Series S all together, but I think that would be a missed opportunity.

If you can make the numbers work. I think you have to try and hit $399.

Even without a Series S, a $399 PS5 is very compelling offering for the market place.
Agreed.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't even think the loss will effect MS's bottom line at the end of the day. They could literally get away with packing the series S in cereal boxes for free . The only program is it won't fit.

I mean, Microsoft can technically afford to do a lot of things - they are valued at over 16x Sony's market cap as of today. But that's not the same as it making business sense for them.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Ok this may be just a rumor,

But what then if this is true? Should we rejoice because as customers we get stuff cheaper?

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The stupid thing is that, even at that "horrifying" price for the PS3, they were still reportedly taking something like a $300 loss on those early launch consoles. Cell was the problem. Neat tech, but an apocalyptically bad business decision.

Insane. They really must have believed they were going to get PS2 sales.

Amazes me when things like that get greenlit and not enough people say "this is crazy".

Same with with wii u. Just don't know how Nintendo of all people realesed something which would be so expensive to manufacture.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

Amazes me when things like that get greenlit and not enough people say "this is crazy".

Same with with wii u. Just don't know how Nintendo of all people realesed something which would be so expensive to manufacture.

PS3-launch Sony were 100% high on their own supply at the time. The PS2 really made them think they were invincible. My favourite moment is still Ken Kutaragi's legendary comments in response to the sticker shock, confidently asserting that people would work more hours to be able to afford one.

Or this one, whose attitude should be kinda familiar to anyone who remembers the Xbox One TVTVTV thing:

"The PS3 is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine...With the PS3, our intentions have been to create a machine with supercomputer calculation capabilities for home entertainment."

Kutaragi was amazingly delusional.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think it's a coincidence these things happened after Nintendo's and Sony's biggest console success at that time. Hell, same with Xbox and their Xbox One always online debacle and $500 with mandatory Kinect inclusion for a weaker console than the $400 PS4.

Jan 20, 2019
I don't think it's a coincidence these things happened after Nintendo's and Sony's biggest console success at that time. Hell, same with Xbox and their Xbox One always online debacle and $500 with mandatory Kinect inclusion for a weaker console than the $400 PS4.

Sony already had 100M console with the ps1 and another 100M console with the ps2.

It was not because of their biggest console, the reason the ps3 fail was because they were trying to build 3 markets around the ps3 instead of focusing just on the gaming side.

With the ps4, they said fuck all of that and just focus on gaming.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017

But what then if this is true? Should we rejoice because as customers we get stuff cheaper?
Yes. It's not our responsibility to worry about MS's bottom line. Plus it shows their commitment to the space and buy in for the future. All good news IMO, and their early losses this gen will pay off thru install base growth and high margin digital purchases/subscriptions.

rajinus

Banned
Sep 2, 2020
How does he know? Has he seen the BOM? Total manufacturing costs? Marketing cost per console? Their component discounts? All of which are subject to NDAs?

Last edited:

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah of course. MS is investing in a SaaS business model now.

If a customer's average lifetime value with MS is $600 through sub services, then acquiring that customer for $100 or less (after marketing expenses and console loss) ... That's not bad at all!

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
Not a shocker. With the last generation, the plan was to recuperate and quickly made profit once people bought games and Gold subscriptions.

The plan next gen is to make that sweet $$$ once everyone joins the Gamepass family and start paying closer to the full cost of the subscription fees lol

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Whatever division Xbox is lumped in will take the hit. The SSd is about a third of the price of the Xbox, but that's not had me puzzled by your post. It's you thinking they'll sell 100 million Xbox's 😐

felixdat

Alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
Always assumed both xbox and PS lost a tiny bit of money (I think PS4 made profit if you purchased a game with it )

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever division Xbox is lumped in will take the hit. The SSd is about a third of the price of the Xbox, but that's not had me puzzled by your post. It's you thinking they'll sell 100 million Xbox's 😐
I don't think MS's best case scenario projections for their full lifespan of next gen console sales come close to 100 million Xbox's. LOL

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
These are both very attractive prices. MS is really making waves with their next gen approach, I just wish their software line-up appealed to me more. Gamepass is so good in terms of value.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
These are both very attractive prices. MS is really making waves with their next gen approach, I just wish their software line-up appealed to me more. Gamepass is so good in terms of value.
It's kind of funny. They put so much effort into hardware design, power, Game Pass, BC, but the 1st party software continues to be hit and miss. I'm sure it's going to get better but it's going to take time which isn't going to help start off with a lot of momentum. Obviously getting the price to $299 is a good base.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Sony is absolutely willing to take a similar loss. It knows that is part of launching a new generation. But I don't think it wants to lose a dollar more than it has to, and I'm sure there are some at Sony who believe it can get away with a higher price. I'm on the edge of my seat.
Considering the price of the Series S and X leaked a week early, by none other than Windows Central - I suspect they've heard/know something about the price of the PS5. They usually leak stuff if it's positive for MS...

Which unfortunately might mean a more expensive PS5 than the Series X. Dusk Golem had been hinting at this too. I'm no fan of a market leader getting lazy and pricing a weaker console higher than their competition, so if they do - I hope it bites them in the ass.

Have you heard anything about a potential pricepoint or an event where they'd announce that kind of stuff, like Dusk has?

Phoenix Down

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It's not a puzzle . You have to follow the bouncing ball here. 299 next gen steal of a console . That box has more value in it than any launch console EVER. I would argued Halo being delayed saved the PS5. They literally dodged a bullet.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
Subscription revenue for MS and Sony is not even the bulk of XBL and PSN revenue.
The point is the potential. MS has spent years building up to this point with their services. This is just the beginning. Their whole philosophy is not to sell consoles, but to sell services, hence they can and will take a bigger hit to get more subscribers. I feel that Sony has a different strategy and for them it wouldn't make sense to sell their consoles at a massive loss just to sell more first party games.

Jan 20, 2019
Considering the price of the Series S and X leaked a week early, by none other than Windows Central - I suspect they've heard/know something about the price of the PS5. They usually leak stuff if it's positive for MS...

Which unfortunately might mean a more expensive PS5 than the Series X. Dusk Golem had been hinting at this too. I'm no fan of a market leader getting lazy and pricing a weaker console higher than their competition, so if they do - I hope it bites them in the ass.

Have you heard anything about a potential pricepoint or an event where they'd announce that kind of stuff, like Dusk has?

That is a stretch.

Oct 30, 2017
The point is the potential. MS has spent years building up to this point with their services. This is just the beginning. Their whole philosophy is not to sell consoles, but to sell services, hence they can and will take a bigger hit to get more subscribers. I feel that Sony has a different strategy and for them it wouldn't make sense to sell their consoles at a massive loss just to sell more first party games.
Sony's philosophy isn't just to sell consoles. It's to sell services and games that generate revenue to the business.

The bulk of their revenue isn't coming from selling first party games lol

They are making money selling DLC, third party software, microtransactions, subscriptions, and more. They aren't taking a loss with the hopes that everyone buys first party games and they recoup that money.

PSN revenue is huge. It's bringing in more money than Nintendo's entire game division. They have a lot to lose by having a massive shrinking customer base.

The alternative to not taking a substantial loss is losing that massive revenue stream PSN is generating.
Microsoft is taking losses in the hopes of enticing gamers to join the ecosystem, buy games, gamepass, DLC, Xbox Live, etc.
Sony is taking losses for the same reasons minus game pass. But a recurring subscription service simply is not a requirement to make up losses nor is selling a subscription service the only reason to take a loss.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is with this constant binary thinking people keep doing in regard to Xbox's overall strategy? Their philosophy is to sell both consoles and services and more. It's not an either/or situation Xbox is picking. Xbox wants to increase their overall market share in gaming in general and have offered multiple ways of access on multiple platforms including consoles for ways to generate as much revenue as they can and not have all their eggs in just one basket.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think MS's best case scenario projections for their full lifespan of next gen console sales come close to 100 million Xbox's. LOL
Honestly don't see why it's so far fetched. They had an absolutely dreadful launch with Xbox one. Weaker, bad PR, and overpriced. Still managed 50 million sold seemingly. Would I bet they hit 100 million no not at all but why would it be so far fetched ?