• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs the digital model PS 5 to be 399, would make A huge impact
Isn't the PS4 Pro RRP $399 at the moment? They'll probably reduce that but they're not going to price a next gen machine the same as their current gen one. Unless they take a sizable hit (like MS), this isn't happening. They would have announced it by now, as that price has historically been a successful one, but decided to wait, longer then they have before.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Only Nintendo manage to launch a console without taking a big loss, even the PS3 took a big loss at $599.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
I think it's safe to say Microsoft were lying when they said they don't care how many boxes they sell.

You don't sell boxes for a loss if that's true. They want to sell 100+ million game pass subscriptions regardless of platform and 100 million boxes they get a 30% cut of the non gamepass revenue from.

They don't want one over the other, they want both.

Considering gamepass is probably losing money right now(as it should if they want to grow it to 100+ million at quickly as possible), that's going to be a lot of red ink for the next couple years. They can afford it though.
I'm not sure if they've ever said that they don't "care" about selling consoles. Of course they care.

Rather, the point I've seen them make is that seling consoles isn't their primary goal.

These mean different things.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Big loss on s? What he means by big loss? More than 100? Because with specs I can't see that.

Jan 20, 2019
I think that Microsoft and Sony could be making some very different calculations which could allow Microsoft more leeway on pricing.

We all know that Microsoft is all in on Game Pass, that's where its profits lie, and they may not be expecting to make those profits for five or ten years yet.

I suspect that Microsoft may be in a position where they're willing to take a loss on this entire generation in the hopes of reaching, say, 100M GP subs by 2030. Obviously, this isn't something Sony can do.

I could be wrong, of course.

And why not?

Sony has 45M subs on PS+

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100 mil is ambitious ... but everybody I know in my gaming sphere, and I mean everyone (PS1 to PS4 owners included) are absolutely buzzing about both the S and the X. Mostly S leaning, though.
Someone made a good point that the S is also designed to be a secondary console for those who are traditionally Sony/Nintendo gamers, without the steep buy in.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Nintendo took a loss on the Wii U when it launched. Wouldn't be surprised if the N64 also sold at a loss with the last minute adjustment down to $199 from $249.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they don't care if you play Halo Infinate on a Series S or your Phone. Why would they sell you a box at a loss when they can get that Halo sale on a phone you already have that costs them nothing?
Because they are catering to all gamers. The most powerful console available can be yours for 499. That price is low enough for people looking to finally make the 4k upgrade which is what Xbox has been preaching the past few years. The more gamers that can play is good for everyone

Jan 20, 2019
Isn't the PS4 Pro RRP $399 at the moment? They'll probably reduce that but they're not going to price a next gen machine the same as their current gen one. Unless they take a sizable hit (like MS), this isn't happening. They would have announced it by now, as that price has historically been a successful one, but decided to wait, longer then they have before.

They will discontinue the ps pro or, they most likely already stop producing it.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's not just talking about "who wins the console war".
I listened to the interview live. They don't care where you play, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't care about how many units they sell. The primary delivery system of the gamepass platform is via console, and to keep that market wedge and grow, they need to remain competitive. Or else gamepass will fizzle out and wither and die. That does not = not caring about how many units they sell, nor does it = trying to sell more units than Sony or Nintendo. This is a long term plan to have gamepass on every platform willing to have it.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Every console that ever launched did so at a loss..it's the console biz model...

Are these people new to gaming or something?

The series s pricing though, to me, is a indicator that Sony will be aggressive with the DE pricing, 100 difference

Not true. Nintendo usually does not sell at a loss. Wii U is the rare exception.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Definitely makes sense, because the math doesn't add up. I'm guessing the series S should actually be at least $350

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Big loss on s? What he means by big loss? More than 100? Because with specs I can't see that.
It doesn't have to be that high. They'll sell millions of these things this holiday. If they only lost 50 bucks per console...that's so much money gone. Also, diminished as they are from the beefier consoles, these specs aren't anything to sneeze at.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I listened to the interview live. They don't care where you play, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't care about how many units they sell. The primary delivery system of the gamepass platform is via console, and to keep that market wedge and grow, they need to remain competitive. That doesn't = not caring about how many units they sell, nor does it = trying to sell more units than Sony or Nintendo.

They make more money off of their console users. With this in mind, acting like they don't care where their users play cannot be true. All things being equal if they had a choice between someone buying a console or buying their games on PC they'd choose the former. It makes sense, they control everything on the console.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They make more money off of their console users. With this in mind, acting like they don't care where their users play cannot be true. All things being equal if they had a choice between someone buying a console or buying their games on PC they'd choose the former. It makes sense, they control everything on the console.
You're right and that is the more precise take. But I believe any engagement that gets the person into the ecosystem and making purchases counts as a win for them, and a strong console market presence (but not necessarily "winning" market position) is key to achieving this. It's the driving pillar of the model - and not just for a 30% revenue increase per purchase.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
You're right and that is the more precise take. But I believe any engagement that gets the person into the ecosystem and making purchases counts as a win for them, and a strong console market presence is key to achieving this.

Oh agreed. And I think it's the right idea to say hey we probably weren't going to get those PC players so might as well support them on the PC the way they are.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
There's the justification that Sony Corp should take a loss on PS5 because its gaming division is its most profitable division.
I'd argue the opposite. Xbox ranks #3 as far as Microsoft's earnings go. It's a valuable brand, but it's not the main money-maker, so the Xbox division has more leeway in terms of risks it can take, especially with respect to taking large losses on hardware. After all, the larger the Xbox ecosystem is in terms of users (even on different systems), the more Microsoft's #2 earner (Azure) will benefit. I don't see how it makes sense to take a substantial loss on hardware within the most profitable division of a company. A small loss? Sure. The sort of loss Sony needs to take to compete with Microsoft on price? Nah.

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
How profitable for Microsoft is Gamepass? I assume 3rd parties charge a pretty penny to let their games be on there.

They've said that it isn't "a big profit play right now." With all of the introductory pricing stuff, people doing $1 a month, PC at $5 until they go up to $10, including it in a payment plan for the next systems, etc. all screams "loss leader." Once they have enough people vested in that ecosystem, prices will shoot up.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Too many unnecessary snarky replies, we know consoles are often sold at a loss,how much of a loss do you think they're taking with these consoles. I think a PS5DE at $399 is an even bigger loss than Xbox ss, but I think they'll go for it.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Again, base on what? They are not a tiny company...

The cash on hand they report in their earnings are a good indicator of how much losses a company can stand to take.

Sony has roughly $30-40bn on hand and Microsoft about $150bn. Remember this cash pile is spread across the whole business so if investments need to happen in say Cameras or TVs, Sony will spend it from there (or borrow it).

Given the current situation with COVID companies want to make sure they're not dipping into that fund too readily as its essentially their 'rainy day'/investment fund. But based on those numbers MS is better equipped for a longer term investment like this.

Oct 28, 2017

One could also argue that why would Microsoft wait until next week (as Spencer said the original plan was) to announce a $299 Series S if $399 is so historically successful and they had a $299 system. It can work both ways. Microsoft wasn't in a hurry to announce their system prices either, and they had the cheapest one out there.

Jan 20, 2019
The cash on hand they report in their earnings are a good indicator of how much losses a company can stand to take.

Sony has roughly $30-40bn on hand and Microsoft about $150bn. Remember this cash pile is spread across the whole business so if investments need to happen in say Cameras or TVs, Sony will spend it from there (or borrow it).

Given the current situation with COVID companies want to make sure they're not dipping into that fund too readily as its essentially their 'rainy day'/investment fund. But based on those numbers MS is better equipped for a longer term investment like this.

Yes, but that was not the point, the point he has making is that Sony couldn't afford taking losses,.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Yes, but that was not the point, the point he has making is that Sony couldn't afford taking losses,.

I think the better point to make is not that Sony cannot afford to take losses (they can). It's more that Sony and its shareholders will be less willing to take losses if they affect Sony's ability to invest in all areas of its business down the line.

MS are likely more able to do this from their cash position.

But agreed it's not like Sony can't take a loss but there's certainly reason to believe they're less able to than MS are.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I guess with so much revenue coming from the monthly Gamepass fees, you have a pretty nice cushion to do so.

Genuinely considering the Series S on launch day.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The PS4 Pro hasn't seen a price drop sense it launched. I think sony is fine with launching at that price and selling out PS4 pro stock at 299 for a few months.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Again, base on what? They are not a tiny company...

Sony is far more reliant on PlayStation to keep the company profitable than Microsoft is on Xbox, and have far less cash in the bank.

Sony could definitely take some losses if they saw a potential for profit after a period of time, but they don't currently have a business model that would make that a viable option. If they made a loss over the course of the PS5 gen, where are they likely to make it up from in the next gen?

Microsoft is all in on a business model which could provide huge amounts of recurring revenue, entirely divorced from needing to make and sell hardware, but which could take a very long time to become profitable, but they also have the size and cash reserves to take those losses for a long time to reach that point.

Sony's business model is based on selling hardware and then profiting from sales and subs on their platform. If their platform doesn't make a profit for an entire gen, they will find it difficult to sustain themselves until a point where they do reach profitability.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
$499 for disc based PS5

$449 for Digital Edition.

If Sony gets really aggressive, $399 for DE since they know people will have to buy everything from PlayStation Network that they don't already own digitally.

But yeah, not more than $499 USD for the fully featured PS5.

Considering the cost of the drive, 499/399 would mean a $75 bigger loss on the DE but it would become only $25 on average if launch sales ratio is 66/33 (from polls). It seems like a good idea, but it could backfire if the sales ratio become a lot more lopsided than predicted. Which very much could happen if they price so aggressively.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020

Right. And, over the past several years, Sony has relied more and more on PlayStation to pay its bills. Its cell phone division has been a total boondoggle... Plus they probably have a lot of confidence coming off the last generation. Microsoft's price will push them to either try to compete or ignore it altogether. I'd guess it's either the same ($499) or it'll be a "premium" system for $600+.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Also the ARPU on PS+ users is going to be probably a quarter of the average Gamepass user.
The current ARPU of PS+/PS Now (which are both $60/year or $10/month sub) is $6.02/month
Calculated with 44.9M PS+ sub and a generous 3.1M PS Now sub (2.2M as of end of April 2020, up from 1M from Oct 2019)
And that's with Sony doing only $45/year PS+/Now sale, twice a year

You expect GamePass ARPU to be minimum $24/month ?

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah it's obvious that they are selling the Series S and X at a loss. The hardware you are getting for these prices is insane.

They are aiming to recoup those losses with GamePass/digital sales and the crazy expensive (if the leaks are true) Expansion Cards though.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'd argue the opposite. Xbox ranks #3 as far as Microsoft's earnings go. It's a valuable brand, but it's not the main money-maker, so the Xbox division has more leeway in terms of risks it can take, especially with respect to taking large losses on hardware. After all, the larger the Xbox ecosystem is in terms of users (even on different systems), the more Microsoft's #2 earner (Azure) will benefit. I don't see how it makes sense to take a substantial loss on hardware within the most profitable division of a company. A small loss? Sure. The sort of loss Sony needs to take to compete with Microsoft on price? Nah.

Simple. You make more money on software than hardware. The more customers you have, the more potential revenue you can earn. It's not Sony's most profitable division because of the hardware alone. The hardware is just a means for them to extract money out of you through software and services. It's in Sony's best interest to convert as many PS4 owners to PS5 as quickly as possible. I'm not saying that PS5 will be significantly less than XSX. It will probably cost the same, but since they now know the XSX price, it would be insane for them to charge more than that. For some reason some people are predicting that PS5 will cost more, even ridiculous pricing as high as $600, and that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft had a $299 console that was only announced today. Why didnt they announce it earlier if we are going by this theory?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Sony is far more reliant on PlayStation to keep the company profitable than Microsoft is on Xbox, and have far less cash in the bank.

Sony could definitely take some losses if they saw a potential for profit after a period of time, but they don't currently have a business model that would make that a viable option. If they made a loss over the course of the PS5 gen, where are they likely to make it up from in the next gen?

Microsoft is all in on a business model which could provide huge amounts of recurring revenue, entirely divorced from needing to make and sell hardware, but which could take a very long time to become profitable, but they also have the size and cash reserves to take those losses for a long time to reach that point.

Sony's business model is based on selling hardware and then profiting from sales and subs on their platform. If their platform doesn't make a profit for an entire gen, they will find it difficult to sustain themselves until a point where they do reach profitability.
PSN alone could support massive losses before they'd start actually losing money. It's been comfortably covering the R&D costs with record profits. If Sony wanna keep it dominant they'd certainly have a lot of room to do so. Will probably depend on how worried they are more than anything though.