• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
my realistic hopes:
- 2 first party games for launch (horizon 2 and a "new" gran turismo, which will be all the content from sports but with a ton of new tracks)
- bluepoints game (i still think its not demon souls)
- at least one third party game from capcom (resident evil 8 or street fighter 6)
- next gen patches for some first party games (god of war and spider-man shown)

i dont expect any more than that. this will be closer to the playstation meeting from feb 2013.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Having this thread not closed yet... I'm assuming this might actually be the real deal 😁.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Wow, thats a lot of Knack games:

Knack 1+2 remastered
Knack 3
Knack battle royal
Knack pinball
Knack vs capcom
Knack puzzle quest.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg
I remember that. So fucking cringey.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
I expect Sony to show off all of their games for year 1 and maybe tease one or two games for year 2.

Demons Souls Remake (Launch)
Ape Escape or Ratchet & Clank (Launch, maybe Cross-gen)
Horizon 2 (Early to Mid 2021)
New AAA IP from a second party (2021)
Some Indie/AA exlusive games for 2021
Maybe a tease for Spider-Man 2 (2022) could also end up being a release in 2021
Maybe a tease for GOW2 (2022)
+ Third parties

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The problem is that at an event with HZD2, Demon's Souls Remake, God of War 2, Silent Hills and Bloodborne 2, any indies shown will be likely overshadowed and forgotten about. Which is why it's nice that they get a separate event with more focus, albeit probably best you don't label that event as the big next gen gameplay debut.
Has it been confirmed that indies will have their own event? And this event is purely for AAA?

Oct 25, 2017
my realistic hopes:
- 2 first party games for launch (horizon 2 and a "new" gran turismo, which will be all the content from sports but with a ton of new tracks)
- at least one third party game from capcom (resident evil 8 or street fighter 6)

i dont expect any more than that. this will be closer to the playstation meeting from feb 2013.
PSM 2013 had 4 1st party games announced.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
The best in the biz, this should be exciting if those rumours are accurate.

Gran Turismo 7
Silent Hill
Horizon
MGS???

I'd be over the moon with the first three and throw in another couple of new IPs and we have something special.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony should hold back on Spider-Man 2 and god of war sequel announcements for next year. I think they will or maybe they will just mention it or show title cards

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Man, between June and July it seems like we have lots of next gen news between PS and Xbox. But the wait between those days are going to suck. Haha. Expectations!

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
They should announce the obvious stuff even it's just a simple acknowledgement. Spider-Man 2 and the next God of War do not need to be treated as surprise announcements.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony should hold back on Spider-Man 2 and god of war sequel announcements for next year. I think they will or maybe they will just mention it or show title cards
Probably depend on what they have to show (including for Spidey and GoW PS5, just a short nothing trailer or logos, rather there be nothing, let them be big showcases for reveal), but definitely think HZD2, Demon Souls, exclusive launch lineup, 3rd parties, PS5 stuff and indies would be plenty.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
I think Spider-Man is definitely a 2021 title so I doubt they will hold it back.
It's likely their biggest strongest IP card perfect for selling people on their new console.
Personally think that is a September 2022 title alongside a price cut for ps5. I know insomniac works fast and is very efficient but considering the move to next gen and trying to take full advantage of the hardware and addressing all the issues of the first game it will take some time. The third one should be the one with a quick turn around.

Probably depend on what they have to show (including for Spidey and GoW PS5, just a short nothing trailer or logos, rather there be nothing, let them be big showcases for reveal), but definitely think HZD2, Demon Souls, exclusive launch lineup, 3rd parties, PS5 stuff and indies would be plenty.

yea that is my thought process as well. They have plenty without having to reveal the big guns

The Maverick

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is definitely going to be 449+ on release. I'm in on day one if there's a white variant. I only want HZD2, Spiderman 2, and spicy new IP content pls.

A man can dream of Bloodborne 2, can't he?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
That whole E3 presentation for Sony was bizarre to say the least. The games they showed were wonderful, the way they framed the presentation was awful. So strange.

Yeah. That's all I can agree with. I get where they were coming from, and they were fairly clear I think at the time, that there were not going to be many games as they shift to games developed for the next gen. That doesn't change how shoddy that event was.

A) I used "high quality" in reference to their games

B) They showed several 10 min long gameplay demos at that 2018 conference, isn't "show us the damn gameplay!!" what tons of people screech whenever there's a CGI trailer for anything? It was a slower paced event without many surprises, but that doesn't mean it was a bad event. As long as the content of what they show me is good, I don't give a flying fuck if they have Jim Ryan do cabaret or Hermann Hulst playing a banjo before each trailer

C) Let's not pretend like Sony hasn't had some of the most hype events ever, like E3 2016. They blew a lot of their wad at that show, and now it's been 4 years with relatively few major announcements. It seems insane to suggest they don't have any new, big stuff prepared to hype their new hardware

A) Like I said, I didn't follow the conversation, but the image post is a justified one to make on the specific point of "events" Sony have had

B) I never mentioned anything about it. That specific event was shit. TLOU is one of my favourite games. Ass mediocre gameplay, but exceptional narrative, exploration, acting etc made it great. TLOU2 trailer and attempt to demo the game has pushed me so far away from the game, it's amazing. Ghost of Tsushima in that demo, also looked pretty meh as a game. Pretty, but nothing exciting or interesting specifically because of how they chose to demo it. Something that could have been achieved in a much shorter trailer - a different opinion to what I have compared to state of play, which was much better thanks to depth discussion on it. So yeah - shit event. Live segments were a waste of time. The other poster remains justified in that sarcastic opinion

C) Again, never mentioned it. You seem keen on "hype" and up selling events of the past. I don't care for that shit. I didn't suggest anything in my post. Seems you are on the defensive. You do you I guess.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
my realistic hopes:

HZD2 won't be a launch title. The user base will be two small.
They should announce the obvious stuff even it's just a simple acknowledgement. Spider-Man 2 and the next God of War do not need to be treated as surprise announcements.
Exactly. PlayStation Studio new brand goal is to remind general audience that they are first party titles. And simply put, why you need to buy this console. To play the sequel of beloved PS4 games.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Platform Warring. Long history of similar behavior.
Looking forward to seeing all the 3rd party games that will be playable on all the other consoles.

Oct 24, 2019
Yeah. That's all I can agree with. I get where they were coming from, and they were fairly clear I think at the time, that there were not going to be many games as they shift to games developed for the next gen. That doesn't change how shoddy that event was.

A) Like I said, I didn't follow the conversation, but the image post is a justified one to make on the specific point of "events" Sony have had

B) I never mentioned anything about it. That specific event was shit. TLOU is one of my favourite games. Ass mediocre gameplay, but exceptional narrative, exploration, acting etc made it great. TLOU2 trailer and attempt to demo the game has pushed me so far away from the game, it's amazing. Ghost of Tsushima in that demo, also looked pretty meh as a game. Pretty, but nothing exciting or interesting specifically because of how they chose to demo it. Something that could have been achieved in a much shorter trailer - a different opinion to what I have compared to state of play, which was much better thanks to depth discussion on it. So yeah - shit event. Live segments were a waste of time. The other poster remains justified in that sarcastic opinion

C) Again, never mentioned it. You seem keen on "hype" and up selling events of the past. I don't care for that shit. I didn't suggest anything in my post. Seems you are on the defensive. You do you I guess.

I'm keen on facts, not false narratives (like the one that somehow a flute guy from a single event is evidence to "temper expectations" for a completely different event 2 years later).

Also don't insert yourself into conversations and go "haven't read the context of the conversation, so I'm talking out of my ass, but here's my uninvited hot take anyways!"

You're clearly not commenting in good faith, so I'm not going to waste more time on this

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Not sure about that. If June is for the games then it's inconceivable they won't detail the launch games there - it'd seem like overkill to have a state of play to show them again.

I wonder if it might be to show off backwards compatibility and enhanced versions of big PS4 games. That way they could show enhanced versions of games, including Ghost and TLOU 2, without detracting from their PS4 launch.
I don't think it is only for the games.
They can do a presentation with both a PS5 hardware reveal and games lol they aren't mutually exclusive.
Maybe I wasn't clear but I think it will have games, but not the launch line up. Some and mainly first party for the June event.
Let's see.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm keen on facts, not false narratives (like the one that somehow a flute guy from a single event is evidence to "temper expectations" for a completely different event 2 years later).

Also don't insert yourself into conversations and go "haven't read the context of the conversation, so I'm talking out of my ass, but here's my uninvited hot take anyways!"

You're clearly not commenting in good faith, so I'm not going to waste more time on this

No I am definitely commenting in good faith, and as I specifically pointed out multiple times now, my grievance is dismissing the image based on your own comment that was being respond to and that content specifically. It's a fair point. It wasn't a "hype" event for some, nor was it an informative one. It is a valid opinion for someone to have. Simple.

I definitely am someone looking for useful information about the games and how they play, while graphics as well as "hype" are quite meaningless to me and my focus on gameplay, mechanics, longevity, core things I enjoy in a game etc.

My comment that was immediately above, also made clear my thoughts on this - quite clearly in good faith

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I hope so since I want SoP to be a thing that does big stuff too
I honestly think Sony shouldn't have called the Ghost of Tsushima showcase a State of Play and also shouldn't call a pre-PS5 release showcase a State of Play. They're setting some insane expectations for future State of Plays, if they have one showing which is just a few smaller titles with maybe 1 or 2 big titles like the first couple ones there's no doubt gonna be quite a lot of people feeling disappointed.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
my realistic hopes:

Schreier hinted at it being Demon's Souls awhile back, that's all the proof I personally need (until he misses the mark on something, which he really hasn't).

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I hope so since I want SoP to be a thing that does big stuff too

I think it will in time. The Ghost of Tsushima one, I think was quite nice. My only issue with it was that I still don't think they've conveyed the mechanics and experience of the game well enough. It seems obvious it behaves a little different from your Souls / Sekiro game, as it is more measured in actions, but it's just not clear to me. Regardless, there was at least meaningful info in there.

I am quite content in just more of this kind of 1 game showcase or multigame showcase for announcing games. But I definitely prefer the current step away from an all encompassing marketing spaghetti of short meaningless trailers that provide poor information amongst noise of so many announcements. For something like this June PS5 reveal, explanation, games showcase etc, I think that's a different and fair reason for something like this.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly think Sony shouldn't have called the Ghost of Tsushima showcase a State of Play and also shouldn't call a pre-PS5 release showcase a State of Play. They're setting some insane expectations for future State of Plays, if they have one showing which is just a few smaller titles with maybe 1 or 2 big titles like the first couple ones there's no doubt gonna be quite a lot of people feeling disappointed.

Nintendo do it just fine so I don't think that's an issue.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Guerilla is definitely due, it's been 3 years since HZD and they've expended massively since then.

Sony's mysterious new San Diego studio made up of former VASG members (and plenty of additional hires) is rumoured to be working on a new Uncharted game with ND's support.

It's been 2 years since SotC Remake but Bluepoint sounds poised to unveil what they're working on (DSR most likely).

Insomniac work at great speed. I expect they've got a Ratchet lined up for around launch, and Spider-Man well in to development already.

Then there's Sony Japan, which has been getting a lot more investment over the last couple of years and could be supporting on the new Silent Hill game.

Maybe SSM will be ready with a teaser for the next God of War. Too early for Bend, and Mm, SP and ND have/will have just released games.

Maybe Housemarque's AAA game is being published by Sony? Could also make an appearance. And I'm guessing RAD is working with Sony on an exclusive too.

So yeah, that's not even exhaustive and still plenty there.
How dare you forget Arrowhead

ElliesKnife

Apr 7, 2018
I remember that. So fucking cringey.
I actually thought it was really cool. Apparently that guy is one of the only people alive who has mastery over that particular instrument. The timing was less than ideal after the intermission with no announcements, which was definitely annoying, but looking back with context it's nifty. I do think Playstation took the wrong idea from the reaction to the orchestra from E3 2016. Flute guy was cool, just poor timing.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

I think they should but instead clarify what type of SoP we are getting

like how Nintendo has E3 level directs and smaller directs

as well as single game directs

anything they do will have people who overhype things for themselves you can't escape from that so better just chug along having a core format that encompasis everything

especially since they ditched E3 now for good
I think it will in time. The Ghost of Tsushima one, I think was quite nice. My only issue with it was that I still don't think they've conveyed the mechanics and experience of the game well enough. It seems obvious it behaves a little different from your Souls / Sekiro game, as it is more measured in actions, but it's just not clear to me. Regardless, there was at least meaningful info in there.

I am quite content in just more of this kind of 1 game showcase or multigame showcase for announcing games. But I definitely prefer the current step away from an all encompassing marketing spaghetti of short meaningless trailers that provide poor information amongst noise of so many announcements. For something like this June PS5 reveal, explanation, games showcase etc, I think that's a different and fair reason for something like this.
yeah they are slowly getting the hang of SoP

I mean Nintendo didn't spawn the tight directs they have over night

we had that WiiU odd limbo and I think as things ramp up now with PS5 after getting these last two PS4 games out of the way we will likely see a shift in SoP's like we did when Nintendo went from the WiiU to the Switch

and what better way then to debut your console and its games with it? (Akin to the Switch)

they said they want to share more for the GoT gameplay so I am guessing they cut some bits out to showcase later in the future

it could've been longer I feel, those 18mins went fast lol but hey most people are existed and it rated well so pretty much people will assume SoP's are the way to go for the future

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Nah, he's just shitposting.
It reminded me of the comments people made for the inside Xbox event, but those were more apt there because the stream was focused on third party software.
I think people are used to disappointment by now. I mean we were expecting this on February.
Oh yeah, I was expecting something in February too. It's best to just let Sony announce the event first. For all we know, they might even wait until after Ghost of Tsushima.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Even if none of them are ready for launch, a first party showing that has Horizon 2/God of War 2/Spider-Man 2/Demon's Souls/Silent Hill would be really strong, especially with a bit of 3rd party stuff like RE8 added in too. They're not going to convince anyone they have the more powerful hardware, and selling people that they've got up on services will take more time than just one showing, but if they can convince people that their first party is still firing on all cylinders, and that the games look good enough that any power differential really doesn't matter, they'll be in pretty decent shape.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
In Grubb I trust............dude has been on point with keeping my hype levels in check.

So i cannot wait for the reveal then

Jan 4, 2018
Imagine if this doesn't happen in June, lol. Jeff has dropped some legit hints but things aren't set right now, are they?
It could definitely change, but I feel like Sony doesn't have a whole lot of other options. With TLOU and GoT, mid June and mid July are pretty much not an option. I'm guessing they also wouldn't do it Fourth of July week, which is right between the two, and then the end of July/post GoT seems too late to me (but possible). Plus with several other publishers doing their thing in July, they probably want to stay out of that month entirely.

Last edited: