• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
ConfusedScrawnyDoctorfish-size_restricted.gif

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't a Halo competitor, it was more so a graphical showcase for a new console. The concept of a Halo competitor is irrelevant in 2020 because Halo itself is trying to rebuild its image and recapture a community lost to free games like Warzone & Fortnite.

More importantly, people aren't asking for an FPS, they're just asking for a great game to play with their new console. While Era certainly doesn't represent the general public, I do think we're a good sample size for the launch day crowd. And plenty here would be more excited by a Demon's Souls remake than something like Resistance 4 or Killzone 5 made for the sake of just having a launch FPS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank seem like a good one-two punch for launch. They both seem to be about the right "scale" for a launch title. Sony's probably not going to throw a 10M+ selling franchise at launch, they're going to want to build a base first for any truly massive game.

This seems like a miscalculation, in my opinion. Yes, Souls players would sign up for Demon's Souls but the franchise doesn't have so much pull that it would guarantee sales from other first-adopters. You need something with more mass market appeal as your "key" launch title, and while I love Ratchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank is not that game because those games by their very nature are "beat it in a weekend" type games.

Keep in mind, this shit needs to be on shelves for Christmas. It would make more sense to have a major core AAA game and then something smaller and more family friendly like Ratchet as the two launch games, and then put out your Souls game in like March the next year.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Sony's Halo is going to be a cod marketing deal. It isn't as big as it was back in the PS3 days. Sony doesn't NEED something to counter it. Halo is also Xbox one and pc. People that are hardcore fans of halo were always going to pick up a series x so sony can't do anything about that fanbase.
Yup. People shouldn't underestimate how big having the marketing deal for a franchise like CoD is.

Kingdizzi

Banned
Aug 11, 2019
Sony tried throughout the PS3 to get their own Halo and it didn't happen, thankfully all the studios moved on and for that better. It's mind blowing to think GG were on Killzone all this time and Horizon alone has probably outsold all Killzone games combined. I really miss Killzone 2 MP and Resistance 2 co-op though, those was amazing. :(

MS need Halo Infinite to hit it out of the park because it's their premier franchise, it means so much to the Xbox brand. I hope it's great, been a long time waiting for it to release.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Tomorrow is not only Random Tuesday™ but also Sony Corporate Strategy Meeting. We might get some new information.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
This seems like a miscalculation, in my opinion. Yes, Souls players would sign up for Demon's Souls but the franchise doesn't have so much pull that it would guarantee sales from other first-adopters. You need something with more mass market appeal as your "key" launch title, and while I love Ratchet and Clank, Ratchet and Clank is not that game.

Here's the thing:

Sony is also going to have a new Assassin's Creed and a new Watch Dogs and a new Call of Duty, and those are going to be the real "mass market" sales drivers (as much of the "mass market" as buys brand new consoles at launch, at least). Not whatever Sony puts out, because there's no universe where they're going to have, like, Uncharted and Spider-Man as launch titles. That would be cutting off the wings of those franchises.

I think Sony also views the launch spotlight as an opportunity to elevate the Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank IP.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I've yet to play Sekiro. What's the bullshit-difficulty-fairness ratio compared to something like DMD Vergil 3? Because IMO that's the bar for final boss difficulty.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing:

Sony is also going to have a new Assassin's Creed and a new Watch Dogs and a new Call of Duty, and those are going to be the real "mass market" sales drivers (as much of the "mass market" as buys brand new consoles at launch, at least). Not whatever Sony puts out, because there's no universe where they're going to have, like, Uncharted and Spider-Man as launch titles. That would be cutting off the wings of those franchises.

I think Sony also views the launch spotlight as an opportunity to elevate the Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank IP.

Demon's Souls doesn't need elevation. Souls is a known quantity. So is Ratchet. Both of those IPs already have entrenched fanbases and I'm sorry, but if you aren't on the Souls train by now, you're not going to fall onto it because you had nothing better to buy at the PS5's launch. You'll just buy one of those Ubisoft or Activision IPs instead.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Demon's Souls doesn't need elevation. Souls is a known quantity. So is Ratchet. Both of those IPs already have entrenched fanbases and I'm sorry, but if you aren't on the Souls train by now, you're not going to fall onto it because you had nothing better to buy at the PS5's launch. You'll just buy one of those Ubisoft or Activision IPs instead.

What do you think Sony's first-party launch line-up is going to be?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What do you think Sony's first-party launch line-up is going to be?

I would say either Horizon 2 (if Guerrilla somehow has it ready by now) or a new IP, and then Ratchet and Clank as the secondary game, with one or two digital-specific downloadable games to fill the roster out.

Demon's Souls, if it exists, makes sense as a spring launch. Most Souls games launch in the spring anyway, as it's a good time for them to get visibility without being flattened by the holiday rush.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Many people fell onto the Souls train with Bloodborne, precisely because there weren't that many other great exclusives to play at the time. What makes you think this won't happen with Demon's Souls remake? If it is visually stunning and is available at launch, lots of people will play it. It's never too late for people to discover an IP.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A ratchet and Clank game would seal the deal for me. is there a more fire franchise on playstation?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Many people fell onto the Souls train with Bloodborne, precisely because there weren't that many other great exclusives to play at the time. What makes you think this won't happen with Demon's Souls remake? If it is visually stunning and is available at launch, lots of people will play it. It's never too late for people to discover an IP.

Bloodborne is visually unique and has a style that sets it apart from Souls despite the similar gameplay setup. The gothic horror setup allowed it to stand on its own two feet and pull in some people who might otherwise have not been interested in another From Software "masocore" action game.

By comparison, Demon's Souls is, despite how much I personally love it, another Dark Souls game in terms of tone, setting, visual style and core design. If people weren't already drawn to the three previous Dark Souls games or the original release of Demon's I really don't see them lining up in droves to play it.

Like I said, Souls is a better fit for a spring release rather than coming out at launch and being the game that most people decide to buy later when it's on sale because their money is already spoken for during the holidays.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Ight I'm ready to be blown off by Jeff.

We need ps5 leaks stat. The June 4th event can be had now. Just need them leaks. Don't worry about Sony ninjas. They are on furlough and since Sony pushing out ps5 info, they feel they don't have a reason to be on the look out as much.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what was the last multiplayer exclusive on the ps4? Predator? it's real empty over here. sony still can't compete w/ Gears and Halo on the multiplayer side of things. it's kind of sad.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
They don't need a Halo killer, they need a goddamn answer to Forza Horizon but that can't happen now because Sony hates fun

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Why are you posting a game that came out in 2013 that was never positioned as something that would 'kill' or 'compete' with Halo. I'm sure by that point Sony was fully aware Killzone wasn't going to do anything to steal the Halo audience. There are bigger fish in that FPS pond now anyway, all of which do very strong numbers on PS4.

What a weird thread this is becoming.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Halo doesn't command the same respect that it used to, stagnant franchise.

Reach, which was almost 10 years ago was the last major one to break into the 90's critically for example.
a261rd9pi3w41.png

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'd love to see Sony get back in the FPS game because I enjoy playing FPS games not because I think it's what Sony needs to compete (nor do I care about that.)

Can't play a marketing deal.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It does need a MP void filler, not everyone loves one and done single player games. Bring back warhawk.

Yeah, it's weird to think that Sony isn't really trying to compete in the multiplayer sphere right now. Halo may be a fallen star but even discounting it as a threat, you'd think that Sony would still want at least some means of generating recurring GAAS revenue ready to go for the PS5's launch.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I believe Killzone was only made to prepare Guerilla for HZD. Both games use the same engine and the level design in Killzone was much more expansive than previous games to prepare the team for working on an open-world game on new hardware, something they've never done before.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They don't need a Halo killer, they need a goddamn answer to Forza Horizon but that can't happen now because Sony hates fun
Pretty much this. The Forza series is the main reason why I bought an Xbox One and then an Xbox One X and subsequently lead me to buy all my third party games on One X. I'd love to see Sony either get GT7 on PS5 for launch or get behind a new racing series that can rival Forza Horizon.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Bloodborne is visually unique and has a style that sets it apart from Souls despite the similar gameplay setup. The gothic horror setup allowed it to stand on its own two feet and pull in some people who might otherwise have not been interested in another From Software "masocore" action game.

By comparison, Demon's Souls is, despite how much I personally love it, another Dark Souls game in terms of tone, setting, visual style and core design. If people weren't already drawn to the three previous Dark Souls games or the original release of Demon's I really don't see them lining up in droves to play it.

Like I said, Souls is a better fit for a spring release rather than coming out at launch and being the game that most people decide to buy later when it's on sale because their money is already spoken for during the holidays.
The unique selling point of Demon's Souls will be the way it looks. If people buy a ps5, that's what they will want. Something that looks next-gen. Not Watch Dogs which looks like a prettier ps4 game. It doesn't need to sell 10+ million copies for it to be a successfull launch title. It just needs to be visually stunning and bring in the hardcore crowd that's already familiar with the franchise. Demon's will do fine as a launch title.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much this. The Forza series is the main reason why I bought an Xbox One and then an Xbox One X and subsequently lead me to buy all my third party games on One X. I'd love to see Sony either get GT7 on PS5 for launch or get behind a new racing series that can rival Forza Horizon.
They had a studio specifically for that, before Shu murdered it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The unique selling point of Demon's Souls will be the way it looks. If people buy a ps5, that's what they will want. Something that looks next-gen. Not Watch Dogs which looks like a prettier ps4 game. It doesn't need to sell 10+ million copies for it to be a successfull launch title. It just needs to be visually stunning and bring in the hardcore crowd that's already familiar with the franchise. Demon's will do fine as a launch title.

I don't think it's going to make a difference. It's Souls. People who want Souls will buy it, people who don't want Souls aren't going to buy it just because it's pretty. Every next-gen game is going to be pretty.