• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Found it. It's that but also that the victims would've been modeled after the real people killed by Jack and you reenact the crime scenes, only Jack was actually a hero and the victims vampires. Lol, it didn't work then, it sure as hell wouldn't work now.

Watching the footage of car accident victims for necromorph design research messed with their heads...

lmao yeah baby, devil dick in 4k60fps 💦

Dante's Inferno certainly had some demon designs going on, whew!

Shit, that game honestly sounds amazing. Like The Order: 1886 x Bloodborne. I would've bought that day 1, but yeah, today it would probably be far too controversial.

And yeah, DI had some hilariously OTT demon designs, haha! Loved that game.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
My read on this tbh is that it's very "testing the waters" and trying to see if there's still interest in the IP.

Probably the only way EA would have entertained doing anything with this series, and I imagine they're basing if the series will continue beyond the remake or not on sales numbers/engagement numbers etc.

It's kinda funny to me, because for the past year, I've been saying "if your not gonna give me a sequel then give me a remake" just because I really want to see what a remade Dead Space 1 could look like with a modern engine on modern consoles, and well, I guess at a minimum I am getting that lmao.

hope it does well though and the series continues, I loved this series to death back in the day.
Yeah, realistically a DS1 remake is the most likely project (beyond a simple remaster) that EA are gonna green-light for the franchise, so I won't complain too much. It's a million times better than the alternative of the IP being dormant.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
It'd be pretty awesome if the ishimura is much more explorable.
Free roam, backtrack and unlock new areas, kinda like Control but with keycards or something instead of new powers.
Yeah, i'm excited to see what they will do...also beggars can't be choosers haha.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very excited by this. I loved Dead Space 1 & 2 at the time of their releases but upon revisiting them last year I still really liked Dead Space 2 but was surprised by how much the first game really didn't hold up for me. It felt really dated, the combat wasn't all that fun, the map design/progression through the game wasn't interesting, and the bosses were awful. Not to mention many of the moments that were meant to be scary just kind of came off as corny or goofy. In retrospect, I think Dead Space 1 stood out at the time because it had a strong aesthetic and thanks in large part to the survival horror genre being mostly dead at the time. So I think the first game would benefit greatly from an RE2 style remake.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
It will be on frostbite too I take it? Necromorphs in frostbite hahaaha...oh shit

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Just tried Dead Space 1 on my XSX and LG CX...ya this game is due for a remake.

Not sure what similar to RE2 remake means though.

NIN64

Banned
Jun 22, 2021
Is there an official source for this information, or just speculation at this point?

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
Probably full of corny one liners and less gore.
hah

Hopefully they'll make the combat more faster, it just seems dated now and they could spice it up with something new.

If it's very very similar in level design/encounters like the Demons Souls remake than that's. . . boring and they shouldn't follow the DS formula. Even DS fans said so whilst still saying it's a good game.

the text in the faulty previews is different if you follow the actual links
www.resetera.com

Demon's Souls Remake - was it good?

It was a 1:1 remake of one of the best games of the PS3/360 generation. It wasn't anything ground-breaking and the game has been talked about a lot over the years. It's an amazing product but it doesn't bring anything new to the table.
www.resetera.com

I would have preferred more than a 1:1 remake but it’s good. Great graphics and audio. But still plays like a game from 2009
www.resetera.com

It's great but, the amazing visuals with outdated gameplay is a weird juxtaposition. However, it's a game I'll never play again.

Feb 19, 2018
Whatever the game is at the end (remake, reimagining, spiritual successor within the same IP etc. etc.), if it's good (70+ Metascore, because way too many great horror games end up in the 70s, just look at Evil Within 2), I'll play it.

I don't even mind it being a remake of the first game if it tries some different things (which is kind of what the article in the OP is all about), after all the original won't magically stop existing and the first game had such an excellent formula that it can be easily reiterated upon. I mean I doubt anyone would have complained back in the day if Dead Space 2 had been set on another Not!Ishimura.

PicLD

Oct 31, 2017
I'm a huge DS fan since day 1 and as excited I am to hear this I am torn as I wish the Visceral team was involved somehow, you know? I'm definitely going to support their new project and will wait to see what EA is doing for this project

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a horror guy and was scared to death playing Dead Space 1 the first time (and here and there even on the next few runs). The Leviathan boss fight was something else for me. That gigantic Silo with it at the end was just a phenomenal image. If they deliver on this remake, then that encounter should be pretty nuts. Hopefully with the free no gravity movement we got by DS2.

Jan 21, 2019
Does it in any way need a remake? It still looks and sounds great and the gameplay is still decent. How about a Dead Space 4? I totally get a RE2 remake, but this is like Demons Souls. Nice to have but not needed.

However, I will play it anyways.

While we're at it, should I wait for a Dragon Age Legendary Edition or play them soon?

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The thought of the original (best) Dead Space with RT reflections, sound and lighting seems like something pretty awesome. I guess it depends on how far they go with the "remake" aspects though.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Does it in any way need a remake? It still looks and sounds great and the gameplay is still decent. How about a Dead Space 4? I totally get a RE2 remake, but this is like Demons Souls. Nice to have but not needed.

However, I will play it anyways.

While we're at it, should I wait for a Dragon Age Legendary Edition or play them soon?

I do agree that it's not really "needed" from a gameplay perspective. But if they're intending to bring this franchise back from the dead I can understand why they'd want to do it this way. Just to freshly re-introduce it to a new audience and get people excited about the brand...and not only as a nostalgia thing. A soft reboot approach maybe.

I think if they remake dead space 1/2 and then make an entirely new version of dead space 3 that isn't garbage, they'd be onto a winner. It would have the potential to fix histories mistakes and who knows...maybe then we get a dead space 4 and beyond.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I do agree that it's not really "needed" from a gameplay perspective. But if they're intending to bring this franchise back from the dead I can understand why they'd want to do it this way. Just to freshly re-introduce it to a new audience and get people excited about the brand...and not only as a nostalgia thing. A soft reboot approach maybe.

I think if they remake dead space 1/2 and then make an entirely new version of dead space 3 that isn't garbage, they'd be onto a winner. It would have the potential to fix histories mistakes and who knows...maybe then we get a dead space 4 and beyond.
The way that this happens is if people buy this one regardless of whether they think it's necessary or not. People always talk about franchises getting another shot, this is that moment.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
DS as a game benefits a lot from atmospheric lighting, which has advanced a whole lot 2 generations later. The original does hold up well, but if done right this could elevate the material significantly. I think there's also a lot more they can do with the necromorphs in terms of how they animate.
All we have to do is look at Alien Isolation as an example. THIS WAS 2014!!
ihnw8ncqr8m31.jpg

Just fucking imagine what they could do with next gen hardware and the tight space ship wide linear design of Dead Space. Imagine it!
hqdefault.jpg

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised by the reactions here. DS1 was not a game that needed a remake.
Isaac was sorely missing a personality in DS1. Like it didn't make it more immersive to have him never speak to anyone. Especially when 2 gave us scenes like this:

Plus there are QoL features in the sequels that absolutely would fit the first game.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You think EA is spending god knows how much money to fully reimagine Dead Space just because Sony doesn't have PS3 backwards compatibility on their newer systems? If that was the case, wouldn't they just do a simple remaster like they just did with the Mass Effect Trilogy?

Yes, making a game takes a lot of money. A remake allows you to charge full price and opens the posibility for a full priced sequel.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Then they made the right choice...then they made the very wrong choice.

And lots of people were like "don't worry, coop is optional! You can ignore it if you don't want" but then Dead Space 3 was completely designed around it, because that is the actual reality of building levels, having two hooks to slide down, having two buttons, have open enough areas to shoot all the things in the head (because they forgot about the limb thing for some reason).

Will they make the same correct choice in a remake? Seems doubtful.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Isaac was sorely missing a personality in DS1. Like it didn't make it more immersive to have him never speak to anyone. Especially when 2 gave us scenes like this:

Plus there are QoL features in the sequels that absolutely would fit the first game.

I'm a fan of silent protagonists so changing that would be a detriment for me. Feels like they'll probably modernize it to the sequel's standards like you're suggesting and that's a shame imo

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be pretty awesome if the ishimura is much more explorable.
Free roam, backtrack and unlock new areas, kinda like Control but with keycards or something instead of new powers.
Yeah, i'm excited to see what they will do...also beggars can't be choosers haha.
Yeah make it a Metroidvania. And don't forget to add roguelike-elements, lol.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how silly it was to see 2 and 3 become looter shooters (I think 3 even had coop?). It just cracks me up. It's the most 2010 shit ever.

Scuttlefluff

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna be really interesting to see EA do 1-2 good games and then mess up the same great series a second time due to greed.