• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
It's almost a lose-lose, situation on Era for Xbox lol. Announce tons of new games available everywhere for Bethesda, Xbox fans will be mad. Announce new games exclusively for MS platforms, PS fans are mad.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Assuming they are going to give a breakdown on what will happen with their live service games like Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online. I'm expecting them to say that those two titles will stay multiplatform and will continue to be for future content as well. For games that aren't in that live service field we'll probably learn that previously released titles will still be purchasable on PlayStation and Nintendo devices. Upcoming dlc for games like Deathloop and Doom Eternal will also still be multiplatform I assume. The final topic will probably be an announcement that all Bethesda titles going forward will be exclusive.

Really curious what will happen to the Bethesda online store.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
When their latest efforts of Fallout games were disasters in some way there's some cynicism involved. I hope their new tech can be better than what they've had up to now but i am no insider, and people say sufficient backing by Microsoft will be able to address this. Unless i see the improvement i am not assuming things.
This ain't it

convo

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine i just want to know the arguments of the opposite stance, just saying it ain't so doesn't give me much i am open to all the evidence against my initial thoughts so long as you present them. People already said the long dev time and other groups in Bethesda working on it show it's gonna turn out differently. My lack of knowledge of the inner workings of Bethesda didn't give me reason to get overly enthusiastic.

Oct 27, 2017
Would be cool if MS buys out the timed exclusivity for the 2 PS5 money-hats. Of course they should still release on PS5 given this option.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
People need to understand, a monthly sub is far far more valuable than selling a even 10 million copies of a couple games on playstation. The added effect of gamepass is that if it becomes people's primary system because they and their friends are both subscribers, that means all the microtransactions from all the other games they play are done through MSs store. If exclusivity isn't announced, it would be shocking

Yes. To MS one new GP user would be worth more than 10 copies of a game sold on PS.

MS wants active game pass users, they get that with exclusives.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wonder what's gonna happen to the bethesda PC launcher. i have to assume they're gonna wanna phase it out.

Would be cool if MS buys out the timed exclusivity for the 2 PS5 money-hats. Of course they should still release on PS5 given this option.
probably not worth it. they've said they're gonna honor previous commitments, and that would include having those games be exclusive to ps5 for a while.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Expecting Playstation consumers to just SWITCH ecosystems and abandon all of their digital purchases and online friends because one game they might want got bought out seems pretty silly, don't you agree?
That's their choice to make and it's a bit disguise to assume it's just one game. Perhaps there are some RPG player, who now have to make a choice between Xbox and PS? Perhaps there are some Xbox 360 owners, who switched to PS4 and will now go to Xbox again?

I wouldn't switch for one game, but hey it's entirely their choice to make. I think nobody should feel entitled for a game, especially new IP like Starfield.
If they do go exclusive I expect massive layoffs on the Bethesda publishing arm. There is no need for both especially with Gamepass
What? Lmao. Gamepass is the exact reasons there is need for both.
MS gets paid for Minecraft and it's still on PlayStation. PlayStation gets paid for MLB the Show even tho it's developed by Santa Monica and releasing on Xbox now. I don't care either way, just highlighting that your view is flawed.
The question you should ask yourself, what gives them more money out of the two options? Clearly Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft agree exclusive do more for their business, otherwise we'd see Mario Kart, The Last of Us and Halo being on all consoles.

Oct 27, 2017
probably not worth it. they've said they're gonna honor previous commitments, and that would include having those games be exclusive to ps5 for a while.
They can honor commitments by still releasing on PS5. It would be nice for Game Pass subs to have the 2 Sony money hats on day one rather than waiting a year for no reason.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Someone obviously hasn't read any of the official Microsoft/Bethesda correspondence (no layoffs), or paid attention to the Phil/Satya continued usage of "Xbox ecosystem" when talking about the Bethesda acquisition.

Yep, just like the firm I worked for. Say no layoff and less than a year later after the merger lay offs.

If that's the case I don't see where all that publishing staff will be needed if it's only on Xbox.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
MS gets paid for Minecraft and it's still on PlayStation. PlayStation gets paid for MLB the Show even tho it's developed by Santa Monica and releasing on Xbox now. I don't care either way, just highlighting that your view is flawed.
Strictly about Xbox, you're right in that Minecraft is still on PlayStation. MS has made it clear they don't close deals already in place, and believe there is value in continuing to support a game that is a service on the platforms already out and future ones.

That's why the expectation is for games like Fallout 76 and Elder Scrolls Online will get PS5 support. They are active online games that are already multiplatform.

New single player games like ES6 and Fallout 5 though? There is nothing gained from those being on PS5 that couldn't instead go into growing Game Pass.

Minecraft was also a Microsoft purchase, not Xbox. Minecraft has many different applications beyond Xbox that Bethesda games simply won't match in priority that necessitate a multiplatform launch beyond Xbox (Console), PC, and Mobile.

Also MLB is a licenced game. Sony can't control what MLB wants their games to be on unless Sony want to abandon the IP completely. MS will not have that restriction with Bethesda.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Elder Scrolls Blades has good scores on the appstore and the google play store, and i don't know how that reflects that games quality from what i've seen.
These new games shouldn't be making the same mistakes so the comparison shouldn't hold either. Arguing that these new games will be bangers without repeating mistakes would be nice, but most people say they will be a success no matter the initial quality since these are Bethesda games.
Don't change the subject to mobile games nobody has brought up. You said Fallout 4 was a "disaster" and it very clearly wasn't. I am not assuming anything in regards to Bethesda's future titles, only highlighting how wrong you are in regards to Fallout 4 being a "disaster" of any kind.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can honor commitments by still releasing on PS5. It would be nice for Game Pass subs to have the 2 Sony money hats on day one rather than waiting a year for no reason.
it would, but sony already moneyhatted those and promoted them as exclusive games. while i'm sure there's a price for everything and they can make it happen, i don't think it'll be worth the news articles and the fanboy over-reactions. they can just wait it out and then put them on game pass. in the meantime they can promote other games, and bring the rest of bethesda's back-catalog to the service.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Yep, just like the firm I worked for. Say no layoff and less than a year later after the merger lay offs.

If that's the case I don't see where all that publishing staff will be needed if it's only on Xbox.
Because Matt and his team can't oversee all those studios themselves. Xbox grown so much, they would need another team or more people anyways. So why not take the Bethesda guys, which know their studios best?

PS: You made the point that, if those games are exclusive, MS would need to lay off people and that's just silly.

Oct 27, 2017

Why would they need more publishing staff for Sony releases? They already do that for Minecraft without the extra staff.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I'm here for the meltdowns when they announce console exclusivity. Might even take the day off if there's a leak. These types of things rarely happen (Rare buyout, FF on Xbox, etc.) and the fallout is always glorious.

Oct 27, 2017
it would, but sony already moneyhatted those and promoted them as exclusive games. while i'm sure there's a price for everything and they can make it happen, i don't think it'll be worth the news articles and the fanboy over-reactions. they can just wait it out and then put them on game-pass. in the meantime they can promote other games, and bring the rest of bethesda's back-catalog to the service.
It's worth buying them out to keep Game Pass healthy. Also, why would Sony fans be upset that other Xbox fans get to play Xbox made games? That's a little ridiculous. Also... why would Microsoft care about this?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Also MLB is a licenced game. Sony can't control what MLB wants their games to be on unless Sony want to abandon the IP completely. MS will not have that restriction with Bethesda.

Specifically for MLB The Show on Xbox, MLB themselves are actually the ones publishing it while Sony is publishing it on PS. It's an interesting situation.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Sony wouldn't have purchased ZeniMax in the first place as that is not their strategy and they have different goals and that doesn't involve being platform agnostic as MS envisons of Xbox. In fact, if the idea is for Xbox to be platform agnostic, why are people getting up in arms and upset as if it is taboo to mention that they might want to continue releasing games on other platforms as they already started doing?
Xbox is not building towards being "platform agnostic", they are building towards being hardware agnostic. Removing the platform (Xbox) from the limitations that dedicated hardware (Xbox consoles) puts on it, the same reason Spencer gave on why Xbox games on Switch wouldn't be a thing in the future (they can't put the Xbox platform on Switch.)

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's worth buying them out to keep Game Pass healthy. Also, why would Sony fans be upset that other Xbox fans get to play Xbox made games? That's a little ridiculous. Also... why would Microsoft care about this?
that's just my opinion on why it won't happen, i guess we'll see. these deals don't often change, even if they technically could.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't change the subject to mobile games nobody has brought up. You said Fallout 4 was a "disaster" and it very clearly wasn't. I am not assuming anything in regards to Bethesda's future titles, only highlighting how wrong you are in regards to Fallout 4 being a "disaster" of any kind.
It's a six year old game and people gave the initial launch problems a pass since that's what people expected.I remember people being disappointed with the simplified dialogue system and as a fallout game. Perhaps you can put that under people who also didn't like FO3 for being what it was. The most fervant fans i see keep going back to New Vegas as their favorite game. Saying that no one was disappointed is rather strong.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't expect MS to make any changes to the deals for Ghostwire Tokyo or Desthloop. If the teams are primarily focused on PS5 development to get those games out, who knows what the state of the Xbox versions are and suddenly changing the planned consoles this close to release could negatively impact the games.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's almost a lose-lose, situation on Era for Xbox lol. Announce tons of new games available everywhere for Bethesda, Xbox fans will be mad. Announce new games exclusively for MS platforms, PS fans are mad.

I'm absolutely fine either way, the advantage of owning all current consoles I guess. 🤷‍♂️

I would completely understand if they make it exclusive, cause they need to, logically, but something tells me they won't, but whatever they do, it's day one in Game Pass anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't expect MS to make any changes to the deals for Ghostwire Tokyo or Desthloop. If the teams are primarily focused on PS5 development to get those games out, who knows what the state of the Xbox versions are and suddenly changing the planned consoles this close to release could negatively impact the games.
I get that, but Deathloop was already delayed and Ghostwire is a long way out. 1 yr timed exclusivity is a long time, and MS should buy these timed windows out if they want to keep Game Pass healthy over the current drought.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When has this situation happened before?
i guess it hasn't, but what i mean is when a timed-exclusivity deal is signed and announced, i don't see either party wanting to change things. specially in this case when in the grand scheme of things these two games coming a year (or is it 6 months?) later to game pass doesn't change much.
also as bsigg said, it might be too late for them to have an xbox version ready for launch.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
It's a six year old game and people gave the initial launch problems a pass since that's what people expected.I remember people being disappointed with the simplified dialogue system and as a fallout game. Perhaps you can put that under people who also didn't like FO3 for being what it was. The most fervant fans i see keep going back to New Vegas as their favorite game. Saying that no one was disappointed is rather strong.
Luckily for me, I didn't say that and you are just attacking a straw man to distract from the fact you said Fallout 4 was a disaster when it wasn't.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their commitment includes that PS5 would be the only place to play those games, for a while at least. Anything less is grounds for lawsuits.

Oct 27, 2017
i guess it hasn't, but what i mean is when a timed-exclusivity deal is signed and announced, i don't see either party wanting to change things. specially in this case when in the grand scheme of things these two games coming a year (or is it 6 months?) later to game pass doesn't change much.
also as bsigg said, it might be too late for them to have an xbox version ready for launch.
Right, so there isn't really precedent for this situation. I'm pretty sure both titles are 1 year exclusivity, which means it could be years until Xbox fans get to play Ghostwire which is now made by an Xbox studio. I think that's a little ridiculous, and MS should at least try to buy that one out.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
If by playable you mean crashing at every turn, sure. But with their ambitions for the game and where it was in production in 2019 do not make me confident in a 2021 release.

EDIT: I should say, you're right that playable can be many things, but it was no where near being a finished product in 2019 and COVID hit in 2020 probably didn't help
Note: I'm not an insider.

That being said. In 2019 it was in active development but not very far along (As far as I'm aware their was no general QA presence assigned to it and that was by mid 2019) so active development yes, far enough to ensure a 2021 release, highly unlikely.

You're not an insider, but you claim to know these things? You're contradicting yourself. Pardon me for not believing a random new user on resertera over the game director's words that the game was playable in mid-2018.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason to suspect Deathloop + Ghostwire: Tokyo won't be on PC Game Pass day one?

All depends on what's in the licensing agreement. I suspect it's in MS's interest to leave it on PS consoles as is, reap the profits, then plow those profits back into their coffers for future exclusive publishing works.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017

Remember when MS paid Square Enix to make a finished FF13 sit on the shelf for 6 months so they would make a 360 port?

Also, someone suggested to buy out the timed exclusivity... that's not how that works. Hell, even MS has come out and said they would still honor all of those contracts. Honestly, it's probably part of the acquisition deal, legally binding, to keep those active contracts, well, active. You can't just cancel it on your own side just because you want to, you'd have to directly deal with Sony on these, and I think they would rather have them on the console first than to have their money back.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
User Banned (3 Days) - Platform Warring
why would xbox fans be mad that other people can play games

Fanboys were initially mad when Quantum Break was announced for PC. But they eventually came to terms with it.

It will be the same, when people realize that not all Bethesda games will be exclusive to Xbox, something they are clearly hoping for, making banners and warring on twitter.

Fanboys are really hoping that Phil Spencer steps on the stage immediately after the completion of the acquisition saying: "When everyone plays, we all win unless you are a PlayStation gamer. That's why we cancelled the PlayStation version of Starfield and TES6. X Gon' Give It to Ya!!!"

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Fanboys were initially mad when Quantum Break was announced for PC. But they eventually came to terms with it.

It will be the same, when people realize that not all Bethesda games will be exclusive to Xbox, something they are clearly hoping for, making banners and warring on twitter.

Fanboys are really hoping that Phil Spencer steps on the stage immediately after the completion of the acquisition saying: "When everyone plays, we all win unless you are a PlayStation gamer. That's why we cancelled the PlayStation version of Starfield and TES6. X Gon' Give It to Ya!!!"

Cancelled? No platforms were announced though.

RavensShade

Jul 31, 2020
You're not an insider, but you claim to know these things? You're contradicting yourself. Pardon me for not believing a random new user on resertera over the game director's words that the game was playable in mid-2018.

I'm not an insider because I have no info from after mid 2019, nor do I want to be one. However, I do have first hand knowledge (at least partially) about where the game was development wise in early to mid 2019.
Source:

I worked there (not on Starfield but another project)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.