• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I wouldn't be surprised if they just had a little marketing reel as the backlog comes into Gamepass while also announcing Wolfenstein 3 (assuming that's 2021) and maybe confirming Starfield for E3/E3 equivalent. But I wouldn't expect a full on event tbh

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Expecting probably smaller games to come to Playstation only after it's been on Xbox for a certain time. Big games will be 100% exclusive to Xbox.

and PC.

honestly, what's a bit more disappointing is that we won't see anymore Bethesda games on Switch. I wasn't the market for said games, but it was awesome to see games like Doom, Wolfenstein, and Skyrim converted for a handheld.

As I've said before though, as long as their games keep coming to Steam, I'm good, this doesn't personally affect me. I NEED my modding capabilities for Bethesda RPGs, and Windows Store would make it either impossible or extremely difficult.

I think he's just speculating. That said, I also don't think you'll see The Elder Scrolls 6 on PS5. Funny if Skyrim ends up the only elder scrolls game on PlayStation.

Oblivion?

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they will actually show something of Halo Infinite's MP that is supposed to release this year

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why some people are expecting to see games like The Elder Scrolls VI on PS5.
Yes, that means much more money for Microsoft but with exclusivity, they can sell lots of XSX to people who love TES and don't have a powerful PC too. And more important than that, a giant exclusive game like TES can be so huge for Game Pass, as most important platform of Microsoft.

Jan 4, 2018
I don't think there will be an event or a Starfield trailer.

Todd Howard in 2019:

"I will say this. I like when you really see the game to when it's out [to be] as short as possible. As short as people will let me." Howard goes on to say that the five month window between the full unveiling of Fallout 4 and its release date was "as short as anyone would allow me to do," and that marketing and retail partnerships are important factors in widening that window.

Howard says that for him, the ideal length of time between reveal and release would be one week. That would be enough time "just to get people excited, to have those moments of 'I saw it', some trailers, let it percolate in your mind."
www.pcgamesn.com

Starfield might not even be at E3 2020 – “everyone should be very patient”

Todd Howard's penchant for quick releases could mean Starfield remains absent from the next couple of E3s

Of course this could change (it was 2 years ago + Bethesda will be part of Xbox strategy now) but Todd seems to like short windows between reveal and release like with Fallout 4 or Fallout 76.

But there will certainly be something, maybe a blog post, a video, a tease or some new infos.

Oct 25, 2017
In your opinion, how being deprived of more than half of the market will translate in the accounting of Zenimax, that was previously fully integrated into ?

PS isn't more than half the market. PC, Nintendo, mobile, etc exist. Zenimax games will be released on Xbox, PC and mobile for sure.

Zenimax will earn its keep via increased GP subs. These games aren't coming to playstation.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Crossed my fingers they keep their management separate with their creative freedom for must single player games preserved.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
and PC.

honestly, what's a bit more disappointing is that we won't see anymore Bethesda games on Switch. I wasn't the market for said games, but it was awesome to see games like Doom, Wolfenstein, and Skyrim converted for a handheld.

As I've said before though, as long as their games keep coming to Steam, I'm good, this doesn't personally affect me. I NEED my modding capabilities for Bethesda RPGs, and Windows Store would make it either impossible or extremely difficult.

Oblivion?
Oblivion might as well not exist on PS3. That port was horrible.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
regarding how much losing on the PS userbase will affect their finances, i really don't think they care. last quarter, the made 15 billion (two bethesda acquisitions) in net profit (not revenue, but straight up money in the bank). when they're making that much money in one quarter, they're not really gonna be focused on how much they're losing by not putting the games on PS. they made a big acquisition as a way to grow their services and platforms and the way to do that is not letting them do business as they were doing. they're gonna think more about how to use them to expand their existing platforms and services than how much money that subsidiary can make on its own.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
As far as I know, as long as the developers enable the mod folder on Xbox App (Windows Store), it's no different than modding on Steam. Dll injections and exe injections are just as possible. Some dlls need to be modified for Windows Store, but that's it.

regarding how much losing on the PS userbase will affect their finances, i really don't think they care. last quarter, the made 15 billion (two bethesda acquisitions) in net profit (not revenue, but straight up money in the bank). when they're making that much money in one quarter, they're not really gonna be focused on how much they're losing by not putting the games on PS. they made a big acquisition as a way to grow their services and platforms and the way to do that is not letting them do business as they were doing. they're gonna think more about how to use them to expand their existing platforms and services than how much money that subsidiary can make on its own.
Plus it's not like they're losing 110m+ PS4 players anyways (not like most will play it). It'll just be several million PS5 players. I can't see anything outside of maybe Wolfenstein 3 being cross-gen.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Aside from a few select games (pre-existing contracts and smaller games etc...) expect to see alot of this:

d0z4NuU.png

Starfield will be the first announcement.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having a conference and saying check these games out, btw only Xbox and Windows would go down like a lead balloon but they also can't hide that fact forever if that's their plan so bandaid off.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this was gonna happen and people are expecting a event and showcase now.
Offcourse they are gonna talk about the deal when it finishes. But expect a news wire post or maybe a small vid from Spencer.
But i doubt people will have a reasonable expectation.

Yeah this sounds like a blog post to me. A big Xbox Wire post.

Doesn't feel like something that requires a big video presentation?

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
regarding how much losing on the PS userbase will affect their finances, i really don't think they care. last quarter, the made 15 billion (two bethesda acquisitions) in net profit (not revenue, but straight up money in the bank). when they're making that much money in one quarter, they're not really gonna be focused on how much they're losing

Shareholders definitely care if a company is not making as much money as possible. You don't just stop caring about revenue streams if you're a publicly traded company. Maybe they'll put some Bethesda games on PS in some form (like delayed or only a selection of games) or maybe they won't, but they definitely care about profit and will aim to maximize that in whatever their approach ends up being.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
In your opinion, how being deprived of more than half of the market will translate in the accounting of Zenimax, that was previously fully integrated into ?
I had hoped the games would still come everywhere but that said switch was never getting bethesda 9th gen games anyway outside of the cloud and playstation 5 is by no means half the market if to you the other half is xbox series + PC + xcloud, these games are not coming to 8th gen hardware at all so how is playstation half the market?

There are reasons to think the games should be multiplat but the one you provided is not one of them when MS is willing to loss lead for a couple of years to propel gamepass or whatever.

It will be a long gen anyway I dont think things are set in stone as much as some think but we will see.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Don't know why some people are expecting to see games like The Elder Scrolls VI on PS5.
Yes, that means much more money for Microsoft but with exclusivity, they can sell lots of XSX to people who love TES and don't have a powerful PC too. And more important than that, a giant exclusive game like TES can be so huge for Game Pass, as most important platform of Microsoft.
MS aren't as interested in the old school console market anymore. It's more about a subscription to GP. Some of their games even go to switch. They also put games on MS store for pc, and steam. They are the least interested company in keeping things exclusive to 1 piece of hardware. That remains Sony's and Nintendo's main business.

So it could go either way, I could potentially see MS have all the bethestha games day 1 on GP for Xbox and pc, and then maybe 6 months later release on PS5. If you are a die hard you still might pony up and sub to GP on pc, or stream it on xcloud, or buy an Xbox. But there's people out there that will simply never buy one, might as well let them play on PS5 later down the line.

It makes sense for a company to want to sell their games to..... Everyone, not limit yourself to 1 device.

If it was up to MS, they would want GP and xcloud to be available everywhere. Every device with a screen, Android, IOS, every smart TV, pc, consoles, switch, ps5 etc

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Wishful thinking.

I want it to be on every platform, but that would defeat the purpose of the acquisition.
Yeah it is wishful but probably not that far fetched.

The acquisition could make a stronger case for Game Pass being a truly cross platform service. Xbox will need to decide if it wants to be primarily a console or a service at some point. Switching focus to being a service doesn't mean sunsetting the Xbox console brand. You would be continuing to market it as the best place to play GamePass rather than the only place to play it.

Bethesda title access would sell a lot of subscriptions if they opened up GP to Sony, Nintendo, and streaming hardware.

Content and services accounted for so much of Sony and Microsoft's revenue last year it would be short sighted to completely rule out expanding their services reach to other platforms.

Not saying it will happen today but I imagine it is more of a when than an if. Or it could be like media companies where instead of trying to unify they purposely are fragmenting the market with all of these streaming services.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox exclusive means it'll be on Xbox, PC, and mobile via the cloud.

PlayStation is not half the market.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I expect everything to be Xbox/pc exclusive minus maybe TES6 and starfield. You don't make a big event to announce your big acquisition won't result in exclusive games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shareholders definitely care if a company is not making as much money as possible. You don't just stop caring about revenue streams if you're a publicly traded company. Maybe they'll put some Bethesda games on PS in some form (like delayed or only a selection of games) or maybe they won't, but they definitely care about profit and will aim to maximize that in whatever their approach ends up being.
xbox has been a thing for two decades now, have investors pressured them to put XGS games on playstation? specially since at certain points (OG xbox, xbox one) they were far behind the competition in userbase. releasing the games on playstation surely would have made them more money, but it didn't happen. same thing will be the case here once bethesda is part of MS. of course, all platform holders would see an immediate increase in revenue by releasing games on other platforms but that's not really how it works. they're more interested in expanding xbox as a platform (which brings revenue from third party games) and growing game pass subs on console and PC than the money they can make by selling a few more millions of additional game copies. considering MS's huge profits and growth, i don't see shareholders asking a lot of questions about why xbox games aren't on more platforms.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I will never be cool with the Bethesda acquisition, luckily for Microsoft it doesn't matter what I think.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil

Why don't shareholders pressure Sony to put those games on PC and Xbox too? They would definitely make way more money than being exclusive to PlayStation only.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
What's coming out first Starfield or that new Elder Scrolls? I'd still think it's a minimum 3 years for the first one to come out unless early access will be a thing which Fallout 76 might as well be.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Microsoft's FY ends in June, and that hasn't stopped them from doing E3 every year. :p
Thats why i said most companies - as in the companies that would have announcements during March showcases. You rarely get big announcements in March, so its a bad time for a showcase event if you relying on content from industry partners.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Shareholders care of the stock goes up really. And last years they have been very very well cared for with the switch to Cloud, subscriptions etc.
They dont think MS paid 7.5b so they need to make 7.6b in 3 years.

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know Im in the minority here but Im on camp "not everything Bethesda publishes after acquisition will be exclusive to Xbox-PC"

Also, I dont think MS will come out clarifying that much with a contundent statement like most over here think, it will be announced on a game by game basis. Anyways, thats what I think will happen, but what do I know ?

I think the closing of a $7.5B publisher acquisition is too big for just an Xbox wire post.

Xbox will do the biggest gaming event ever™ live with sports cars, Mountain Dew & fireworks on stage.

I just want to see Elden Ring.

lol

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I'm not expecting to play any Bethesda games on my PS5 and neither should anyone else. Apart from Deathloop and Ghostwire for obvious reasons.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When was the last time Microsoft bought an established third-party publisher like Bethesda for $7.5B?
that's not really a life-changing investment for microsoft. it's not like they're gonna work for years to make that back.
i just don't see why investors would care when they see how much microsoft as a whole is making, and how the gaming division seems to be growing and doing better than ever (their gaming revenue last quarter was the highest in their history).
the company being an established third party publisher has no relevance here. if anything, it should be exciting for shareholders that xbox now has so many great developers and IPs in its stable to make content for them.

What's coming out first Starfield or that new Elder Scrolls? I'd still think it's a minimum 3 years for the first one to come out unless early access will be a thing which Fallout 76 might as well be.
starfield for sure.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I know Im in the minority here but Im on camp "not everything Bethesda publishes after acquisition will be exclusive to Xbox-PC"

Also, I dont think MS will come out clarifying that much with a contundent statement like most over here think, it will be announced on a game by game basis. Thats what I think, but what do I know ?

Xbox will do the biggest gaming event ever™ live with sports cars, Mountain Dew & fireworks on stage.

lol
Funny how everyone are talking about Bethesda and if their games are only Xbox/PC, then you have me... (I'll play them on PC anyway tho)

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
Why don't shareholders pressure Sony to put those games on PC and Xbox too? They would definitely make way more money than being exclusive to PlayStation only.

Because Sony's strategy to maximize profit has generally been to sell consoles, and exclusives have been a good way to encourage customers to buy them. It's not a zero-sum game though, as we've seen with Horizon Zero Dawn being ported to PC recently.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, whatever happens with Bethesda games and exclusivity I just want them to talk about it and be done with it. Mostly because I'm tired of the fighting and back and forth that happens here and on the internet
I don't think they'll ever come out and say "All upcoming Bethesda games will be exclusive to Xbox and PC". It is safe to assume thu of course.
If there are exceptions I think only Elder Scrolls 6 makes sense, after a year of exclusivity for example it comes out on PS5 and Nintendo, don't see them doing this to "smaller" titles.
I don't think there will be an event or a Starfield trailer.

Todd Howard in 2019:

www.pcgamesn.com

Starfield might not even be at E3 2020 – “everyone should be very patient”

Todd Howard's penchant for quick releases could mean Starfield remains absent from the next couple of E3s

Of course this could change (it was 2 years ago + Bethesda will be part of Xbox strategy now) but Todd seems to like short windows between reveal and release like with Fallout 4 or Fallout 76.

But there will certainly be something, maybe a blog post, a video, a tease or some new infos.
I believe Todd said this again last year in an interview after the acquisition, so yeah I think Starfield will only show up shortly before its release date.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Doens't work this way. Investors want company value to go up. That goes with making sub services more lucratives and sticky. You don't get putting exclusive content on a rival platform.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Ah another thread with people dreaming lol.

Can't wait to see the sizzle reel of Xbox exclusives :)

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
User Banned (3 Days) - Platform Warring
Typical concerns and down playing responses iit.

I expect lotsa salty tears when the formal acquisition is done. 🤩

Status
Not open for further replies.