• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I won't believe it this time and then it will come true.

Hopefully.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As expected. Bayonetta, Pokemon, Metroid, and Mario & Rabbids is a pretty packed fall lineup

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Would be a pretty easy short notice(September direct) or Twitter drop. I'll believe it when I see it but I'd be game

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I've been teased this was coming so many times I refuse to believe it until Nintendo says it themselves.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I'm so beyond tired of the "we're proud to announce a game that came out over a decade ago!" thing from Nintendo.

On the other hand, I never played this one.

On the third hand, I had never played Skyward Sword before buying it and... that purchase was a mistake lol.

On the fourth hand, whatever I dunno I'm weak I'll probably try it.

Metroid Prime 3, the weakest of the Prime games, is far better than Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword remains one of the weakest "origin story" or prequels to an established series ever made. The weakest thing about Prime 3 is you can feel a more obvious Halo inspiration in some segments, which is not really Metroid. The best thing you can say about Skyward Sword is it had two good dungeons. The gap between the low point of Prime 3, and high point of Skyward Sword, is vast.

Oct 27, 2017
It must be an actual remake if it's going to be their big holiday game (for the enthusiast audience at least) and it's not being released as a trilogy, surely?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
a remaster as a big holiday game sounds kinda underwhelming....
It's a classic critically acclaimed game that was previously locked to:

- a console that released over 20 years ago and didn't sell as well as the competition at the time
- a collection that many people didn't play because it was on a system that primarily appealed to family-friendly audiences, and said collection eventually shot up in price
- a digital version of said collection for Nintendo's second-worst selling console of all time

With how well Dread sold last year, and with how loved Prime is, using a remaster or remake of the latter as a big holiday game doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. It's been long enough that there's a whole generation of people who haven't gotten to play it before, and if they've put decent work into the remaster, then the new coat of paint will also help to attract people. It'll sell well.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I love metroid prime, but I am not willing to pay full price for a remake. And looking at Nintendos track record this gen, that means I will probably never play this. Great for the people that didn't play it yet though!

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
On one hand, I'm so beyond tired of the "we're proud to announce a game that came out over a decade ago!" thing from Nintendo.

On the third hand, I had never played Skyward Sword before buying it and... that purchase was a mistake lol.

I think it's cool for people who haven't played the game - but maybe a more consumer oriented BC XBox-like approach would be better. You know, actually not having to buy your games again. However, I'll certainly get these reworded MP games - I had lots issue with the original gameplay, both on GC and Wii

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
A remaster as a holiday-bet seems a bit cheap. We sure this isn't a remake? Kind of funny if it turns out to be true, especially seeing as their catalogue of games for this year is pretty impressive otherwise.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I'll pass if it's not the trilogy
$50-$60 oof
I'll buy 2 and 3 on sale since I've never finished them
Prime 1 is amazing and people are in for a treat

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't wait to see this. I know it's not going to look like a "top of the industry" graphics showpiece like Prime 2002 was, but I really want more people to experience Prime. It's truly one of the best.

Prime 2 and 3 coming later is also fucking fantastic. I was worried it'd just be Prime 1. Echoes is secretly the best of the 3 and I think it'll be much better received in today's market.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Mostly curious if the leaked FE game will be making this year or not tbh. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Jan 29, 2018

You are in for a treat.

Controls might seem a bit dated compared to other console first person games - unless this remaster adds dual analog - but the game design is sublime.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Announce it already. More Metroid is always good.

The Sony one is a full remake and I'm pretty sure Sony's "big holiday game" will be God of War: Ragnarok.
Guarantee you're gonna see a lot of "MP1 Re(whatever) is more impressive because it's a bigger leap then TLoU Part 1" when we finally see this re(whatever) ends up being called.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Announce it already. More Metroid is always good.

The Sony one is a full remake and I'm pretty sure Sony's "big holiday game" will be God of War: Ragnarok.
The rumour was that this was a full remake.

Anyway, Nintendo's big holiday game is going to be Pokemon Scarlet and Violet- they're not going to announce anything bigger than that, no matter what.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Just Prime, not the Trilogy?

When the rumor started, it was about the Trilogy, but we've learned a year or two ago that Retro was developing it in-house and the amount of work they put into Prime 1 was so much that when they got do Prime 4, they didn't have time to do Prime 2 and 3 as well. Prime is supposed to be somewhat in between a remaster and a full-on remake according to the latest rumors. So that's why it's its own thing.

edit: Development timeline according to Emily, as of last year:

- Retro initially intended to remaster/remake the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy.
- But Nintendo hands Metroid Prime 4 to Retro Studios.
- Retro now has less time to work on trilogy, so they focus energy on finishing Prime 1.

- Nintendo begins looking for external studios to provide additional help + assistance to Retro Studios.
- Original plan: Core work (engine, art assets) on Prime 1 could "potentially" lead into sequels: Prime 2 and 3. (Don't get your hopes up for this)
- Original plan: Prime Trilogy games would be developed and released sequentially. (Prime 1 would be developed and released first)

- Covid-19 pandemic has a negative impact on the entire game industry.
- Many game developers are now working from home.
- Everything has become more complicated.

- Metroid Prime 1 finally wraps up development.
🎈
🎈
🥂

- Prime 1 remaster is a bit more ambitious than anticipated.
😲

------------------------------------------------------------------------
- It's currently unknown whether Nintendo scrapped/cancelled future plans for remasters/remakes of Prime sequels.
- No journalist/insider seems able to get a clear, straight answer on Nintendo's plans for Prime 2 and Prime 3.
- An insider named Belmont (on Resetera) seems convinced plans for Prime 2 and 3 were scrapped. (Source)

- It's Metroid Prime's 20th anniversary.
🎂

- Switch also turns five years old.
🎂

- Metroid Prime 4 aims for a release this year.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Remaster is cool, but would have been good to get the full trilogy enhanced

Also did a full on belly laugh at someone asking if this would be full price

It's Nintendo

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Might as well just go ahead and do the trilogy if this turns out to be true