• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
they AT LEAST need to make F2P games like Apex not require a subscription

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty clear that they're going to streamline their service offerings. Games with Gold vs. Game Pass is a little confusing.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I guess when you're gonna potentially sell millions of Series S consoles, you expect to make the lost revenue back with GP, digital sales, microtransactions, and PC versions. They really are playing the long game.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I don't think online will ever be free again, it's just way too lucrative. Instead I think gold will just be absorbed into some other payed service.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
what competitive advantage did a free PSN give Sony in the PS3 era?
PSN sucked ass during the PS3 era. If it was as feature rich as it is now then things would have been different.
Also the reason Xbox might be willing to drop the paywall is because they believe that if everyone can play online that equals a ton more mtx purchases. Enough to make up the losses when combined with whatever they're projecting gamepass's revenue to be in the future. It's also pretty nice differentiator to PS/Nintendo.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
How can they keep charging Xbox gamers for the exact same thing that's free on PC with the same games with a straight face?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
PSN sucked ass during the PS3 era. If it was as feature rich as it is now then things would have been different.
Also the reason Xbox might be willing to drop the paywall is because they believe that if everyone can play online that equals a ton more mtx purchases. Enough to make up the losses when combined with whatever they're projecting gamepass's revenue to be in the future. It's also pretty nice differentiator to PS/Nintendo.

Hmm, you raise a good point with MTX.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
why would they give up all that $$

I think they probably view Game Pass as the growth service. If Xbox becomes a desirable place to play due to a lack of paywalled multiplayer (for free-to-play games, at least), that's more people they can potentially sell Game Pass to.

They're clearly making a mass-market play with Series S. I think Game Pass is a service your average person can understand a little bit better than Xbox Live Gold, which is a little amorphous.

I'm not sure why people would expect Microsoft to not change their strategy up a bit. This past generation clearly didn't work out as intended for them. They're the challenger brand; you'd expect them to shake things up and make some bold moves.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Jeff's clarification doesn't really clarify much. Weren't his original tweets speculation that it was going away completely? Did he walk that back at some point to just be F2P games not requiring a sub?

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
XSX and XSS price tags are spot on. add a couple months of GP with all access and no more gold and you have a winner right there.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Going away just for F2P games won't move any needles. It's something they should have done 7 years ago.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Now's a good time, but I wish they'd throw paying members a bone like exclusive dedicated party chat servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.