• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Im judging it based on their past shows. Do you really think im just coming in here to shit on XBox? MS loves their CG and logo trailers. Shouldnt be a secret at this point. I love my Series X lol.
Its really easy to argue that they never show any gameplay if you just ignore all the gameplay theyve shown.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Not shocked but still a huge bummer. Fable was announced way back in 2020 and won't be out until 2024 at the earliest.

Microsoft should really stop announcing games so early.

they obviously announced it as a way to hire people

they were originally hinting at it before they even formed the 2nd playground studio lol

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
That's fine, this show is about 2022, early 2023, or guaranteed not missing 2023. They could very realistically show:
- Forza
- Starfield
- Redfall
- Pentiment
- Wolf 3
- Hellblade 2
- Avowed
- The 1 (or 2?) Mojang games already leaked
- Belfry
- Contraband
- Indus

(I'm not saying I know all of these are definitely 2022/2023, just that it's totally plausible)

Like that's not exactly an empty lineup. Save Fable and PD for next E3, even if they end up coming holiday. I really don't think there's reason to see this as confirmation that they are past 2024 for instance.

Edit: remembered more games exist, wow do they have a lot coming

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Fable was leaked before Playground was even aquired. Whats the point pretending at that point? They showed a GCI trailer to confirm the leak.

I imagine it's incredibly difficult for very large teams to keep things secret. Especially when trying to build a brand new team and hire lots of new staff.

Fable and Perfect Dark were announced way to soon because 1) they'd already been leaked and at that point it made no sense to keep those project secret; 2) the announcements were essentially used as recruitment tools for both projects. Even in a world without COVID, I don't think it was realistic to expect those games to launch before 2023.

100% this with Fable. It was already leaked everywhere that Playground might be working on it. And then... they had to advertise for and interview hundreds of positions for a new studio making an action RPG title. Like, maybe it's fine to just announce the fact that 'yes, we're working on Fable'?

I don't really take it as a huge issue or think it's illustrative of 'Xbox announce everything too early'. Let me tell you how competitive top tier talent recruitment is in games in the UK. I'd be shocked if that didn't factor in to them deciding to say 'fuck it, let's just show a logo and announce that we are definitely working on it'.

It's fine.
there were two and a half years between the initial reports that Playground was working on Fable and the actual reveal... that's a very delayed response to leaks

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
I'm genuinely surprised at how many people are shocked by this. I thought lessons were learned after the Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 teasers of yesteryear.

Oct 27, 2017
Wish we could go back to 360 graphics if it meant quicker dev times. Getting sick of 5 - 10 year dev times and MS continuing to under deliver for 2 generations straight. How did they make all those aquisitions years ago now and still have so little content to show for it? Boggles my mind

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Games that arent on Xbox One. How many of those are there? Flight Sim annndddd? Like I said I just got the console and hope I'm proven wrong by Sunday.
as of now there are no game 1st party games announced for x1 unless you count grounded which hasnt left early access yet

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Makes sense considering Playground just released a game of the year candidate last year. I get the whole "separate teams" thing, but building one up from scratch + Covid = time.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well when MS just had an entire generation with barely any worthwhile AAA exclusives, my mindset is gonna be a bit different. Are there even ANY first party Series console exclusives, almost 2 years in? ANY?
Nope. But there's also, what? 2-3 PS5 exclusives on their platform? What a weird stipulation to make, anyway. Are games not worthwhile unless they're specifically Series exclusive?

Again, games take time. And it's unrealistic to expect non-crossgen games early in the generation with how much modern games cost to develop.

Last edited:

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Wish we could go back to 360 graphics if it meant quicker dev times. Getting sick of 5 - 10 year dev times and MS continuing to under deliver for 2 generations straight. How did they make all those aquisitions years ago now and still have so little content to show for it? Boggles my mind
Most of them were in the middle of game development when they were acquired. Actually barring the Initiative which was a from scratch thing, i believe all of them were? Most of those games came out over the past 2-3 years. And games take longer than that to make. And with Bethesda it's taking a couple years to wash off the Sony moneyhats.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
there were two and a half years between the initial reports that Playground was working on Fable and the actual reveal... that's a very delayed response to leaks
I never said that they announced the games early as a direct response to or immediately after the leaks. They used the announcements as recruitment tools, which was arguably a good thing, since they were looking to hire people for key positions at both studios.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Dev hell: Perfect Dark, Everwild

CGI trailers with literally nothing else: Outer Worlds 2, Fable, Avowed, Redfall, Contraband, Hellblade 2. Dont try and tell me that Hellblade 2 trailer from TGA was actual gameplay lol.
The trailer is literally called "Gameplay Reveal". There are obvious sequences where you can see the player taking control of the character. Just because they adjusted their camera angles for maximum cinematic effect doesn't mean it wasn't gameplay or CGI.

Jesus fable was announced way too early.
No, they were going on a hiring spree. Getting the word out they were working on the game with a CG trailer acted as a recruitment tool.

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
User warned and threadbanned: Trolling over a series of posts
The trailer is literally called "Gameplay Reveal". There are obvious sequences where you can see the player taking control of the character. Just because they adjusted their camera angles for maximum cinematic effect doesn't mean it wasn't gameplay or CGI.

Remember the E3 2012 Watch Dogs "gameplay" demo?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Someone who's usually well plugged in on here mentioned during last year's "E3" season that this year's Xbox show would be better. I took it to mean this year's show could be special. I think it was Matt IIRC, but I can't say with certainty as I haven't looked it up. Honestly, I'm not setting my expectations ultra high after the difficult last couple years we've had, but I think the show this year will be great. I say this as someone who was pretty overjoyed with last year's showing, mainly because of the sheer volume of games coming to Game Pass that I had an interest in. Hades on GP was my favorite announcement of that show.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018

You can't just throw money at stuff and expect to get results, it takes time to build talent. We all see how many vacancies are at the top studios like ND, imagine how hard it will be for anyone else to get talent?

Im sure the games will come, its only a few days until their show.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
PD isn't in Dev Hell? And that was Gameplay for HB2
I'll never understand why people look at the Crystal Dynamics thing as a bad thing for Perfect Dark? That's probably one of the best things that could've happened for that game, get a massive studio with a lot of expertise to flesh out ideas that have been in pre-production for a few years.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
People: "The industry is too secretive!!!"

Also people: "Games are announced way too earlier!!!"
I'm getting whiplash going between both threads. I believe Fable/Perfect Dark/Everwild were definitely announced too early, but given the circumstances at the time, it makes sense. I also don't understand the hyperbole in this thread that these games are 2025+.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
They honestly should have made it clear how far away Fable is. If you follow this stuff closely it's not surprising but most people not seeing a game 2 years after announcement are going to be scratching their heads.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I'm getting whiplash going between both threads. I believe Fable/Perfect Dark/Everwild were definitely announced too early, but given the circumstances at the time, it makes sense. I also don't understand the hyperbole in this thread that these games are 2025+.
Agreed. 2024 is really not that far away. Fable could easily be Spring 2024 and Perfect Dark Holiday 2024, so we'll see them at TGAs or next E3. Why spend time on them when they have other games releasing in the next 6-18 months?

elbageluno

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2022
Nope. But there's also, what? 2-3 PS5 exclusives on their platform? What a weird stipulation to make, anyway. Are games not worthwhile unless they're specifically Series exclusive?

Again, games take time. And it's unrealistic to expect non-crossgen games early in the generation with how much modern games cost to develop.

When has there ever been a console 2 years into its life with 0 exclusive games? Why are you acting like this is normal?

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
No reason Fable shouldn't be here. Can't go years without giving an update on the game. I understand them announcing stuff early due to it being a new gen but you need to be able to provide regular updates and not just keep quiet for years at a time.