• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
Self-explanatory title, here is the video

*Jeff's analogy of comparing Animal Crossing to PC gaming is very-very interesting and to the point for many people like me

Last edited:

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
The game looks considerably worse.
120fps will disappear within the first year, or year and a half.
If someone wants 120fps gaming they need to stick to PC.

And it's a niche within a niche when it comes to TVs.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't doubt it... doesn't the PS5 version support 120FPS too?
Yes

The game looks considerably worse.
120fps will disappear within the first year, or year and a half.
If someone wants 120fps gaming they need to stick to PC.

And it's a niche within a niche when it comes to TVs.
It's a fine option, but it's true that I don't know how many people will have TVs with 120fps support. Really small market, I would be surprised if the telemetry of studios tell them something above 1-2%.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
User Banned (1 Week): Antagonising other members & Console Waring, history of similar behavior in the past
I find it really hard to persuade myself to watch his videos and read his takes seriously since he is so big Xbox fanboy always dissing PS5 so.. nah, wont watch..

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
It looks great, but I would like to see a comparison vid btw this and FH4 (XSX upgrade) though. Codemasters are a very talented bunch but PG games is on a whole other level.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many console gamers actually own TVs that support 120hz. I got an LG B7 a couple of years ago and don't plan to upgrade for a while as it looks amazing and I sincerely doubt 120hz in console games is going to be widely adopted if the sacrifices are too great. We'll see how things pan out though.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
120FPS will die when cross gen games die.
Halo Infinite is 120FPS because its cross gen.
Once actual games built for the new CPU/GPU are made, get ready to see 30 and 60 fps games again.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yes it is a niche. How many people have TVs that support 120fps. Not the fake 120Hz shit.
95 percent of console users do not have true 120hz TVs

4k tv's were also niche when the PS4 and X1 came out, yet they received mid gen refreshes specifically for 4k.
Lots of non budget new tv's support 120hz. It was a "niche within a niche" back in 2016-7 but not anymore. It's not exactly a rarity.

www.eurogamer.net

The best 4K TVs for HDR gaming 2023 on PS5, Xbox Series X and PC

Digital Foundry's recommendations for the best 4K HDR TVs for gaming on PS5, Xbox Series X and PC, from cheap TVs to premium OLED and QLED models.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
User Banned (5 Days): Inflammatory and inappropriate point of comparison
120fps is amazing folks, really cool the next gen consoles support HDMI 2.1
#allconsolesmatter huh?

When Jeff gets a PS5 I'm sure he'll talk about PS5.

Mod Edit: Post reverted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is what excites me the most about the consoles, Series X in particular. Gone are the days we have to play through frame rate constrained games.

Man I cannot wait.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
4k tv's were also niche when the PS4 and X1 came out, yet they received mid gen refreshes specifically for 4k.
Lots of non budget new tv's support 120hz. It was a "niche within a niche" back in 2016-7 but not anymore. It's not exactly a rarity.

www.eurogamer.net

Digital Foundry's recommendations for the best 4K HDR TVs for gaming on PS5, Xbox Series X and PC, from cheap TVs to premium OLED and QLED models.
These prices are making these TVs niche. Sorry man, it's a niche and will stay that way for a while.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes. I'll happily drop the resolution for this all day.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I mean...it is good it is supported...but if you dial down stuff enough of course you can get 120 fps...I mean I can probably get 120fps on PC for pretty much every game if I am happy with it looking fairly weak visually. Still, it is good to have choices.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017

www.eurogamer.net

Doubt we can get hard data on this but I also believe that 120fps TV aren't common "enough".

Moreover TV manufacturers aren't pushing "120fps" like they pushed 4K a few years ago.
That's the huge difference between your 2013 to 2016 (mid gen) scenario.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
a huge percentage of users do not have a decent tv also or a decent sound system so by that argument you could take off next gent advances very fast.
...headphones are a lot more common that 120hz TVs, you don't need a nice sound system.

Also 4K TVs have been the standard for anyone getting a new TV over the past few years. 120hz TVs are brand new. Times are rough. People may not be rushing out to buy expensive new TVs this year. It's going to take a bit.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia

If you watch the video it's not about the XBox Series X vs the PS5, it's largely about why next gen consoles are exciting, but obviously he only has an XBSX so that's the lens to view things through.

The point he's making is basically that consoles make high framerate gaming easier and more enjoyable than it might be on PC's, regardless of compromises, because it's almost plug & play. I can agree to this, PC gaming is often infuriatingly difficult to tweak when you want to hit a framerate target and that's why we see huge performance threads and suggested settings / optimized settings videos from the community or places like DF.

It's the age old debate of absolute control (PC) vs ease of use (Console).

As a random aside I reckon high framerate support is a real boon for indies developing on next gen consoles, games made in the space I occupy often have aesthetics that are designed with our limitations in mind but scaling up framerate is a nice bonus. If I had the time/resources to make a sequel to my last action heavy game I would almost surely target 120fps on consoles, fast paced games play and look so much better at high framerates.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

www.eurogamer.net

For me personally, as someone who bought his first 4K TV in 2018, I would not upgrade just for 120Hz, even if those are in my price range. I will be waiting until OLEDs get within my price range before I upgrade.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Keep seeing people claim 120fps will die out once the true next gen games come along, but that's shortsighted if you consider indie games which aren't that graphically taxing - I think we will see many high framerate games over this generation.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I have a 144hz gsync monitor and high framerate gaming with gsync/freesync is a real treat. Glad we're going to see this in consoles.