• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018

And Bonnie Ross tweeted this... But I agree with you, I don't think they'll necessarily stick to a Nov launch for infinite (and this tweet by her certainly isn't confirmation of such!)

Ross was unlikely to know anything about Starfield or its projected release date back in December when Bethesda wasn't even part of Xbox officially. Back then Halo was the only big IP Microsoft had releasing in 2021, so Ross was likely assuming it might release in November due to the anniversary. But with all due respect to Halo, a single-player game by BGS has the potential to be bigger and take the November spot that's usually reserved for the biggest games. Just logically, releasing Halo before CoD makes more sense even without taking Starfield into account.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
glad to see the mod post, hopefully it stops this and all future threads for bethesda games from being derailed.

Patar

Mar 4, 2021
Psychonauts 2 was crowd funded so they have to release on the promised platforms.
Starfield is going to be exclusive.
Ah ok thanks I didn't know that about Psychonauts, I guess there is no precedent then. It's gonna be a hell of a holiday season for MS if this releases on schedule.

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if Starfield does come out this year it will be in November, and Halo will be in September like Halo 3 back in the day.

Deleted member 90924

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
I know they did it with Fallout 4, but that was an established IP. Just seems odd to launch with such a small amount of marketing time with a new IP. Maybe it doesn't matter as much since it will be used to push Gamepass more than unit sales.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's been in development for 6 years. Bethesda follows the trend of not announcing a game unless its close to release. I don't understand why people still think release schedules are the same as they were a decade ago.

www.eurogamer.net

Yes, Todd Howard and team have settled on The Elder Scrolls 6's region

When Todd Howard announced The Elder Scrolls 6 at the end of Bethesda's E3 show, the message was clear: we're working o…

So why announce The Elder Scrolls 6 so far out?

"That was a debate, 'Should we do this?'" said Howard.
[...]
People were already talking - and coming to their own conclusions - about The Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield, the new sci-fi IP Bethesda Game Studios will make before TES6, so why not get it out in the open? "Let's just say it," Howard and team decided. "It's better to say we're making it. It makes life a little bit easier for us. [If we didn't say anything] they would be disappointed and they'd still ask 'What about Starfield?' and 'What about Elder Scrolls 6?'. But it's also exciting! We're excited; we want to share it with everybody.

"The negative is," he added, "are we distracting from what we're putting out now? But people get it. Let's just be upfront - this is what we're doing, when, and in what order."

But another negative could be building hype too early, I say. "Potentially," he said. "We're not saying a lot. I don't worry about that. I worry about what happens in the future when people say, 'Well when am I going to hear about it again?' and then you're saying, 'I can't tell you.'

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I didn't even think about the fact that this means Halo Infinite will launch before the Holiday since they will want to space the 2 titles out.
Maybe September for Halo?

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been in development for 6 years. Bethesda follows the trend of not announcing a game unless its close to release. I don't understand why people still think release schedules are the same as they were a decade ago.

For a completely new IP?

I get a short build up for a sequel to a long running franchise, but a completely new game that's never been seen? An early access title that pulls in the hardcore would be understandable.

Unless this game's been used in the pitch by Zenimax during the sale I don't see a full new ip being created and ready to ship this year that hadn't been publicly promoted in some way by Zenimax.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I know they did it with Fallout 4, but that was an established IP. Just seems odd to launch with such a small amount of marketing time with a new IP. Maybe it doesn't matter as much since it will be used to push Gamepass more than unit sales.

Marketing has changed, a lot. Don't need a lot of lead time anymore. I think some people still aren't used to it but news and social media moves even faster now thanks to platforms like Twitter. 6 months is actually considered a lot of time now. 3 months works even better because it keeps it constant and fresh in people's minds.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I hope this is the case.

Having Starfield, Halo Infinite, and possibly Forza Horizon 5 release in such close proximity gives me goose bumps.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mentioned to my wife the other day that I'm interested in an Xbox. This months-ahead ice breaker is what allowed me to get a 4K set, a PS4 Pro, and a PS5.

Series X here I come.

Jan 18, 2021
Jan 4, 2018
For a completely new IP?

I get a short build up for a sequel to a long running franchise, but a completely new game that's never been seen? An early access title that pulls in the hardcore would be understandable.

Unless this game's been used in the pitch by Zenimax during the sale I don't see a full new ip being created and ready to ship this year that hadn't been publicly promoted in some way by Zenimax.

Todd Howard said in an interview that he would reveal Starfield one week before release if he could (he said Fallout 4 was the maximum that marketing allowed him to do).

"I will say this. I like when you really see the game to when it's out [to be] as short as possible. As short as people will let me." Howard goes on to say that the five month window between the full unveiling of Fallout 4 and its release date was "as short as anyone would allow me to do," and that marketing and retail partnerships are important factors in widening that window.

Howard says that for him, the ideal length of time between reveal and release would be one week. That would be enough time "just to get people excited, to have those moments of 'I saw it', some trailers, let it percolate in your mind."

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
"OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION
Unless announced differently by Microsoft moving forward all Bethesda games should be expected to be Xbox/PC exclusive. Any attempts to argue this and derail a thread will be actioned as port begging moving forward. 2021-03-17 1100 EST/1500 GMT".

End of an era. Can't wait to see how good this game is.

Deleted member 90924

Banned
Jan 29, 2021
Marketing has changed, a lot. Don't need a lot of lead time anymore. I think some people still aren't used to it but news and social media moves even faster now thanks to platforms like Twitter. 6 months is actually considered a lot of time now. 3 months works even better because it keeps it constant and fresh in people's minds.

Fair. Don't get me wrong, I hope it is a this year game. Also, just interested to see what Starfield is, I think it is going to be structurally very different from Elder Scrolls or Fallout. Hopefully it launches on PC concurrently to XBOX.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
What even is this game? Im finding it hard to really care at the moment.
A Singleplayer first Person RPG in the beloved engine that got massively overhauled. It's basically TES/Fallout in space for what we can tell.
In a post Cyberpunk world, Bethesda Game Studios bugs are cute and lovable in comparison.
Bugs in Bethesda games are a feature indeed.
Unless announced differently by Microsoft moving forward all Bethesda games should be expected to be Xbox/PC exclusive. Any attempts to argue this and derail a thread will be actioned as port begging moving forward. 2021-03-17 1100 EST/1500 GMT".

Thanks mods. 💯👍✅👌🦦

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
A Singleplayer first Person RPG in the beloved engine that got massively overhauled. It's basically TES/Fallout in space for what we can tell.

This is why Im finding it hard to care unless I know more. They have made the same RPG ( and I dont say that negatively, they just have a very defined DNA) in different settings for over 20 years. I cant believe this will just be ES/FO with a space skin.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Didn't we already know this from the pictures that leaked. Didn't the leaker say they were targeting releasing the game this year?

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Is there any info on whether this game will have third person mode or not yet? Cus really wanna play but motion sickness

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
So - do we have any info/rumors about Starfield? I'm completely out of the loop.

I'll be honest here - the only thing I want to know is if it's going to be 3rd person or not. I'm not interested in 1st person RPGs anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Sticking with my original prediction.

Starfield - October 26th
Halo Infinite - November 15th

Throw in Wolfenstein in August and Forza in September and you have a pretty damn good holiday lineup.

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping it has a good amount of sci-fi was thinking it would be cool if this could possibly sub-in for a Mandalorian type game.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

Excellent, thank you!

If this is true, it's going to be a hell of a fall/winter break... And the the year of the space opera with ME, Halo, and Starfield .. whew.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Has it been hinted/confirmed Starfield will be cross-gen or are they going full-on next gen?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
This is why Im finding it hard to care unless I know more. They have made the same RPG ( and I dont say that negatively, they just have a very defined DNA) in different settings for over 20 years. I cant believe this will just be ES/FO with a space skin.
I think there will be some differences like there are differences between TES and Fallout. I could be wrong obviously, but I feel the main formula that works so great for them like exploration, picking up everything, ... will stay.
Didn't we already know this from the pictures that leaked. Didn't the leaker say they were targeting releasing the game this year?
Yes she/he did.
Is there any info on whether this game will have third person mode or not yet? Cus really wanna play but motion sickness
I don't think there is any information

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
So - do we have any info/rumors about Starfield? I'm completely out of the loop.

I'll be honest here - the only thing I want to know is if it's going to be 3rd person or not. I'm not interested in 1st person RPGs anymore.
I imagine it'll have 3rd person and 1st person view, like all Bethesda games.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
If they have Forza Horizon 5, Halo, Flight Sim and Starfield in the same year as Grubb suggests, damn, I'm getting a Series X earlier than expected. Insane line up to survive the long winter months.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017

Starfield - October 26th

Throw in Wolfenstein in August and Forza in September and you have a pretty damn good holiday lineup.
Lol, if Wolfenstein is in August and forza is in September, that's 4 big AAA exclusives back to back each month. Has anyone done something like that ever?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Starfield - October 26th

pretty damn good would be a understatement, even if we ignore Wolfenstein. I can't think of any particular year Xbox had a better lineup than the potential lineup you listed.
Has it been hinted/confirmed Starfield will be cross-gen or are they going full-on next gen?
I don't think there is any information unfortunately.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Unless announced differently by Microsoft moving forward all Bethesda games should be expected to be Xbox/PC exclusive. Any attempts to argue this and derail a thread will be actioned as port begging moving forward. 2021-03-17 1100 EST/1500 GMT
This should help. I honestly think part of the $7.5 billion was to cover any development costs that were already sunk into PS5 development, which Bethesda probably would've been adamant about.