• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Interesting strategy. You would think Nintendo would go all out hype wise to combat the 2 new system releases coming out this year by Sony and Microsoft. I guess they're content to just ride out the success they're currently experiencing. Hope it pays off...

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting strategy. You would think Nintendo would go all out hype wise to combat the 2 new system releases coming out this year by Sony and Microsoft. I guess they're content to just ride out the success they're currently experiencing. Hope it pays off...
It's more like they have no choice because COVID.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No need for console war BS. Sony and Microsoft haven't even revealed their first party lineups yet. Covid is also affecting all 3 of them.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Eh, not really contradictory statements. They have no plans for a direct right now, but don't intend to announce anything substantial beyond the aforementioned titles until they do plan a direct. Ie, the way I read it, is that they hope that the COVID situation will be finished in a few months and those handful of releases will carry them until then. As with all plans I am sure they will revise their plans to have or not have a direct and announce or not announce other titles outside of them if a few months go by and we're in the same situation.

Ergo, it's safe to assume the in the next few months the only announcements we will be getting are the Pikmin and Mario ports, outside of maybe a Smash character since they did announce one for June back in March.
I should edit my post since it was posted in haste and based on the final line of OP and the thread title, which stopped at "at all".

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It is not interesting, it is logical. You can not beat the hype that comes with a new console, facing there is getting muddled in their terrain. Better save energy.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Yup! That's my opinion on this also. It's convenient getting them all at once in a Direct. But the hype cycles that follow Directs are honestly kind of ridiculous. So long as the games get announced I'm happy. Waking up to a surprise Paper Mario announcement was pretty awesome lol

Exactly. People around here get their expectations up way too high for these directs. Nintendo just shadow dropping the announcements is far more interesting to me.
Do you think some certain games are on the way?

Yes. Know. Jeff spells them out in the article.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean there's nothing new here. I wasn't expecting a direct until September or October the earliest. Directs will resume at some point

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's about what I expected in our current climate. And seeing how well that Paper Mario trailer did when it dropped, I completely understand.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO. I hate the title to this. Grubb's article is like "let's talk about all three major companies" and somehow this became "there's no Direct coming".

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
A shame, but expected.

I assume Directs will return in September or October. Going to be a while.

I wonder how third parties will will take this. Its been sparse with their announcements.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A shame, but expected.

I assume Directs will return in September or October. Going to be a while.

I wonder how third parties will will take this. Its been sparse with their announcements.
There was a nindies direct just a couple months ago, and the mini direct also had 3rd party announcements like Burnout paradise and borderlands

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Hope the Mario Remaster Collection is really good, otherwise this has been a pretty mediocre year for releases. Not bad - just not super exciting.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. There's more coming of course. Nintendo has plenty.

I don't think anybody should doubt this, Nintendo always has something in store.

Third party, no that's a different story. Every one of them are unpredictable as hell. Can Capcom really have nothing for the rest of the year for Switch? God knows.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
why do people think no direct = no new games, days after paper mario was just dropped on twitter

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I don't think anybody should doubt this, Nintendo always has something in store.

Third party, no that's a different story. Every one of them are unpredictable as hell. Can Capcom really have nothing for the rest of the year for Switch? God knows.
Capcom might not have any more Switch games ever besides Mega Man X9 and legacy collections

There could be an MvC or arcade game collection this year

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Paper Mario drop was a test to see if they can just get away with doing that.

Apr 25, 2020
The Switch be like

SmallTornHerring-size_restricted.gif

I'm mostly kidding, but the dearth of big first party games on Switch has been one of the biggest surprises for me.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Just read that Japan fell into a recession today. I wonder how that's going to affect the gaming industry as a whole

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wonder, if Nintendo say finds that this individual announcements style works better for them, will they even have incentive to go back to directs

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017

Except this isn't about trying to combat the PS5/XSX, Covid has messed everything up not just for Nintendo, but for Sony and MS as well, see the "Sony's PS5 event might not be on June 4th anymore and it won't show as many games as they were originally going to" thread.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Love to see people reading this as "no more Directs ever." Y'all panic over everything.

Directs will come back in time, I'm sure.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Yea of course they will. Directs have worked great and also tie into 3rd party relationships.
Directs work well but what's the chance a Paper Mario trailer would've gotten this many views if it was merely one announcement of many? I do agree that they'll wanna keep directs for smaller third party titles, but will there still be incentive to announce their big first party titles this way? They also don't have to spend a ton of time coordinating stuff like this

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This has more to do with Nintendo being hit harder by COVID-19 than the other two.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
lmao people over at the Nintendo speculation thread were legitimately losing their minds over Nintendo not announcing any games.

fasten those seatbelts, son.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, I don't want directs anymore. They gone full pr since iwata passed away, don't really hold the same charm. It's time to evolve again Nintendo.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. Perhaps when I get some funds, I can use it on Borderlands Switch.
Or heaven forbid, Burnout Paradise Switch.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom might not have any more Switch games ever besides Mega Man X9 and legacy collections

There could be an MvC or arcade game collection this year

If a new Megaman was due to release this year, they would have announced already. I think it's pretty late for that.

But they can announce more last gen ports. DMC, Dead Rising or maybe even Lost Planet. Would they, though.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Nothing set in in stone but some leaker said it would happen and he had a great track record iirc. Also apparently the final mix ends on a cliffhanger
The cliffhanger i heard, but there where so many games and remasters that hinted at things that never where. Also: its a nomura thing, he does not want to end things finished =P
But if a insider hinted at it, shure, then i get why people expect it.