• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Games are still going to be announced so how they happen is irrelevant to me. The Paper Mario trailer seemed to do pretty well and the reception was positive overall so maybe Nintendo don't think they're losing anything by not planning another Direct for a while.

It will be a shame for other companies who had maybe hoped for a spotlight in a Direct but then you can't always rely on that happening in the first place.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if this becomes permanent beyond 2020.

No more Directs, just random Twitter reveals.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't change whether or not you'll see Metroid soon though.
Well, the last paragraph pretty much tells us that we shouldn't expect a surprise announcement of anything but Pikmin 3, 3D World and the Mario Collection.

Which sucks if true. Can't say I'm excited about the prospect that Paper Mario might be the only actually new Nintendo game this year.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Bad thread title, he means in the near future, and also "However, game announcements will still be made" should be in the title.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Mario 64 full remake would do it for me this Holiday season.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Look at how much attention Paper Mario got from being announced on its own.

If it was announced in a Direct it wouldn't have got that level of focus.

If Nintendo announced titles through the year that would honestly suit me more and I think discussion would be better for it.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with Mario ports, but I was expecting something new and big too.

That's understandable given that there's usually been a big holiday game since the Switch launched.

But at the moment, it appears like it's going to be a 1-2 punch of 3D World Deluxe + older Mario ports.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, by saying that games beyond Pikmin 3, 3d world and mario remasters will be shared in the next direct means.. No other games at all for 2020?

Wow

We're still only in the 5th month of the year. Things could improve to the extent that a Direct is feasible by like September and as seen with TOK anything announced there could release within a couple of months. Or even something like Ring Fit which was even shorter announcement to release.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. Difficult to put one together at the moment when plans could change for any number of titles pretty quickly. For the moment at least, it probably makes sense until things are (relatively) back to normal.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
It makes sense.

They aren't going to show 5-10 titles at once and create expectations with everything in flux.

We'll see more Paper Mario approaches.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh that's depressing

Surprise drops may build excitement on their own but they don't dominate the news cycle for the few days before and after the direct. You don't get the hype buildup (direct in 2 days!) and then big announcements building on top of big announcements with smaller games getting exposure by rubbing elbows with those announcements. From my experience when a game stealth drops you get a few days of "oh that was cool" and then it's forgotten.
Isn't the hype build up only happen in forums and Nintendo fanboy, the general population will just catch on about the new game announced in their newsfeed

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
"bubububu e3 getting cancelled may actually result in MORE good things to come!"

hate to say i told you so, but, you know..

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
We're still only in the 5th month of the year. Things could improve to the extent that a Direct is feasible by like September and as seen with TOK anything announced there could release within a couple of months. Or even something like Ring Fit which was even shorter announcement to release.

Man this is confusing
I get that they are ready to annunce those games (the rumired6and expected ones such as pikmin 3, 3d world and mario remasrers) even woth pr or tweet as for paper mario, but if there are other games I don't get why those should necessarily have a direct
If you have games, let us know, especially of some can be shared without a direct

To me this probably means that they are not sure/don't have other games ready to be launched in 2020

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could really use a Zelda trailer this Summer. The game's development is surely far enough that they could release a juicy trailer for it. Even if they announce it's a Holiday 2021 title at the end.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Isn't the hype build up only happen in forums and Nintendo fanboy, the general population will just catch on about the new game announced in their newsfeed

I don't have raw data to give you and as such I can only go by my own anecdotes. Which my anecdote is all of my friends even those not on forums or particularly interested in Nintendo always hear about them. Every major gaming news site has multiple articles both leading up to and then dissecting/reacting/rehosting trailers and that Nintendo tends to trend on all social media platforms for a few days before and after. I've even sees mainstream news outlets pick up on particularly large stuff.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
??? That's fine... but does it really take that much effort to throw a direct together???
Yeah, seeing as you have to have things to show during the Direct. They likely just aren't giving out dates for their staff/close 3rd parties. I don't want to add any addition stress to teams right now and would much rather show off stuff when they are confident in the product.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Compiling a Direct must be hard given the situation, that doesn't mean don't expect any announcement in the coming months.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Xenoblade Definitive Edition is coming at the end of the month. My Switch is good for quite a while! Oh and Paper Mario

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense. We got that Paper Mario drop just randomly outside of a Direct. That, to me, was a clear "we're not doing a Direct for awhile, so here you go, the first big announcement shared piecemeal."

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that surprising as well, Nintendo's studios would need to concert their efforts to make a Direct, and it's already hard to work as is with the Covid-19. If you add the uncertainty of release dates, it's even more complicated.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I don't really care about my 40 minute long advert as long as I still get the games.

What they did with Paper Mario is perfectly fine.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Imagine if this becomes permanent beyond 2020.

No more Directs, just random Twitter reveals.
latest