• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to look up this guy's resume and, uh, he doesn't have one. This is literally the first theatrical motion picture he has ever been involved in, other than working as an animator on Where the Wild Things Are in 2009. I don't know the last time I saw a major studio blockbuster that was given to a complete unknown.
it happens all the time

Dec 31, 2017
-Make his teeth a thousand times less realistic.

-Cast the lips into hell.

-Get rid of the fingernails. In fact just put gloves on him.

-Give him socks.

I tried to give the movie a chance. But honestly Sonic is grotesque and hard to look at.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's going to bomb? Says who? Manchild you, or the heaps of young children who'll gladly find joy in the film?

This is some hyperbolic bullshit
Call me a manchild or an lolcow all you want, but this film has more problems than just Sonic's appearance. Maybe this film may not outright be a bomb, but everyone I know has zero interest in seeing this film.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This is gonna be some monkey's paw shit, it could easily be even worse.

Maybe I'm crazy but he doesn't look too bad in this shot.
F7dtb2m.png

I really gotta wonder what changes they're going to attempt to implement. I doubt they'll give him the uni-eye. Maybe highlight his brow area more. Or maybe they'll go full Roger Rabbit and just make him look entirely like a cartoon character ripped straight out of the games. But I expect small tweaks.

I think the biggest thing will probably be slightly bigger eyes and most work will be on the mouth (This has been the majority of fan edits). That's by far the biggest issue with the design.
source.gif

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
His eyes need to be much bigger, his legs need to be skinnier (and ideally shorter, but that may not work with the shots they have), and lose the human teeth.

But I don't trust them at all, simply from the fact that they needed everyone in the universe to say "What the fucking fuck" to the current design before they realized it was shit and needed to change.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I think the most likely scenario is that we end up with still images of a new Sonic design, with a mouth superimposed on top, Clutch Cargo style

(Warning, old and racist)

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it happens all the time

The most I've ever seen is when they'll take somebody who was a DP or producer on another movie and stick them into a directing capacity. I've never seen a major blockbuster where the director has never worked on a film or television set at all. But I'm sure there are a few somewhere.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
You know they aren't putting much effort into the CG when they can completely overhaul the design, all of the animation, all of the scene interactions, and get everything rendered in time for release.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Quite honestly, if they change the design and have it be more faithful, It then looks like a decent movie for the kids.

Although i just wanted it too be a trainwreck honestly.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Do they have the time/budget to pull off a significant redesign? I mean, looks like most of the movie is shot and the VFX are very far along already. Changing his proportions would mean not only doing another full VFX pass, but also possibly require the reshooting of some scenes?

I dunno, seems rough.
The film is scheduled release in November. There's still plenty of time to recreate Sonic's model and reanimate his scenes.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine the amount of overtime people are gonna have to put in to save Sonic's design. The movie is still gonna be terrible at least that original design provided some comedy. Release the original cg cut as an extra.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
If they're actually changing it I imagine they've been working on an alternative since the leak, or possibly even earlier. Could explain their hesitation to release the trailer.

I imagine most of the post production work would still work fine for a tweaked model, especially if they're just focusing on his face and some small details on his body. So it may just be a matter of rigging the new one and swapping it in.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
the dialog was corny and the music choice was stupid but I loved Jim Carey as robotnik and I'd absolutely see this day one of sonic looks like sonic

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
For everyone that thinks such a bad design is ok cause "kids movie", would you also say that the design choices for the Super Mario Bros movie was ok in the early 90s kids?