• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lq7y5ek.gif

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sensationalism at its finest.

The fund is for independent contractors and seasonal Amazon employees when they lose their job, not for people working at Amazon at the moment who obviously don't need it.

But fuck Jeff Bezos for being rich and all that.
Why aren't those free contractors and seasonal workers not amazon employees? So they don't need donation in the first place?

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
He's not going anywhere. You know it to be true. In that dark corner of your soul where dread reigns supreme and hope fruitlessly begs for scraps.

i agree to a point. people forgot how fucked up bush was and he was able to come back "cleaned up".

this country is short term memory on steroids.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Why aren't those free contractors and seasonal workers not amazon employees? So they don't need donation in the first place?
Because you don't need the same amount of people in Christmas than in March? It's not hard to understand.

The contractors are independent delivery companies Amazon uses to send packages. Are you suggesting they buy every single one of them in every country they operate?

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California

The fund is for independent contractors and seasonal Amazon employees when they lose their job, not for people working at Amazon at the moment who obviously don't need it.

There are a couple points though.

1. Why can't he employ these people under more permanent arrangements? Amazon's bottom line could take it. Off season pay could remain but be reduced.

2. If Bezos gave a similar percentage of his wealth that the people he is asking gave of their wealth it would probably be solved instantly. 0.1% of his wealth is still $100,000,000. If you make $50,000 a year you would be giving $50. He issolving the problem the wrong way by asking the poorest people for help.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Because you don't need the same amount of people in Christmas than in March? It's not hard to understand.

The contractors are independent delivery companies Amazon uses to send packages. Are you suggesting they buy every single one of them in every country they operate?
It is not only Christmas.
But anyways, employe them the whole year to keep the stress down for everyone and to help with Christmas etc.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It is not only Christmas.
But anyways, employe them the whole year to keep the stress down for everyone and to help with Christmas etc.
Lots of businesses (including small ones like farms) have seasonal workers. Keeping them employed the entire year is a huge waste of money and not feasible (yes, he can afford it, but you don't run a company in a way that makes you lose money regardless of how wealthy you are, that would be incredibly dumb and would eventually lead to everyone getting fired).

There are a couple points though.

1. Why can't he employ these people under more permanent arrangements? Amazon's bottom line could take it. Off season pay could remain but be reduced.

2. If Bezos gave a similar percentage of his wealth that the people he is asking gave of their wealth it would probably be solved instantly. 0.1% of his wealth is still $100,000,000. If you make $50,000 a year you would be giving $50. He issolving the problem the wrong way by asking the poorest people for help.
1. See my answer above.
2. The problem here, and what makes him trash (which I'm not denying even though I'm criticizing this article) is that he's donating only to those that will help him keep making money.

Instead of finding a cause that truly needs it (like something related to healthcare for example, or people losing their jobs regardless of them having worked for Amazon before), which would make his donation truly altruistic, he's securing his business by donating to the people not under his full control that could threaten it.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I worked in delivery business for a couple years and the independent contractor stuff is the most anti-worker thing imaginable. A system that grinds up workers and spits them out without paying them good wages and benefits

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
he's just some gump who created a business idea that somehow just started throwing money at him.
it didn't make him a better person, or more human or even more capable. It just made him obscenely and ungodly rich.

now he wants the world to throw more money at him to solve this latest problem. Jeff, that's not how the shit works.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Lots of businesses (including small ones like farms) have seasonal workers. Keeping them employed the entire year is a huge waste of money and not feasible (yes, he can afford it, but you don't run a company in a way that makes you lose money regardless of how wealthy you are, that would be incredibly dumb and would eventually lead to everyone getting fired).

1. See my answer above.
2. The problem here, and what makes him trash (which I'm not denying even though I'm criticizing this article) is that he's donating only to those that will help him keep making money.

Instead of finding a cause that truly needs it (like something related to healthcare for example, or people losing their jobs regardless of them having worked for Amazon before), which would make his donation truly altruistic, he's securing his business by donating to the people not under his full control that could threaten it.
They would not d lose money doing that. Only make a tiny bit less profit.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Greedy man is greedy. We shouldn't allow such greedy men to exist. It is not just a personal characteristic, it is the role they play in society. And that isn't offset by philanthropy. Besoz happens to be one of the personally nastier ones.

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom

So why can't Amazon fund all of it themselves, they didn't need to even put this thing on the Internet. Just because they're contractors they are still working for Amazon, it's just pure greed.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
So why can't Amazon fund all of it themselves, they didn't need to even put this thing on the Internet. Just because they're contractors they are still working for Amazon, it's just pure greed.
It is greedy, I called Jeff Bezos trash in my last comment for a reason. The article is still sensationalist as fuck, however.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not defending Bezos in any way but like does he even know this exists? This sounds like something done up by the HR department not Bezos. Like I doubt he was just swimming in his vault Scrooge McDuck style and had the thought of setting up a charity for his employees. If it doesn't make him money I doubt he has the time for it.