• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Yeah well, we could all "probably" do a lot of things. The truth is people just like to complain and judge others.

Dont have money to donate? Spend 4 weekly hours volunteering at a local shelter instead of looking through your gaming backlog. Oh, you don't want to? That's fine, but quit your sanctimonious howling then.
Blame the game, not the player.

It's his money, he can do whatever he wants. Still, It's ridiculous that someone can have that much wealth.
/tired rant
Hi there, someone impacted by the fires here. My family has property in now burnt to shit areas, I live a short hike from one of the ongoing megafire's in NSW, my health has been greatly affected by the past few months of smoke (I have severe Asthma), I have family who are CFA volunteer firefighters currently fighting fires in Vic, I volunteer with local services when I can and I donate significant portions of my tiny income - I feel I have some small right to be somewhat "sanctimonious".

I'm not angry that Amazon donated 1M, nor do I want them to not donate at all. I'm grateful for every generous donation whether that's a cent, 100B or a 1M PR writeoff - but just because I'm thankful doesn't mean I'm not angry at a system and it's biggest players that allows massive corporations like Amazon and obscenely wealthy individuals like Bezos to massively exploit our world (and their own workforce) and massively contribute to many (if not most) of our world's ongoing issues and then turn around and pay essentially no tax, lobby for looser regulation and give essentially no fucks about the harm they're doing to humanity. It's not like what they're doing is illegal (mostly) but as we all know, just because something is legal doesn't necessarily make it moral (the opposite is also true). I'm generally in the "Hate the Game not the Player" camp (I've defended the wealthy on Era before) but there comes a line (of which being a billionaire is WELLLLLLL x1000 over) where the Game Masters that run said "Game" are also it's biggest "Players" who have the most to win by perpetuating and advancing the system that causes the massive issues humanity is facing - issues that as obscenely wealthy people they can afford to create with little to no personal repercussion while the rest of us lowly plebs who are trying to find 2 coins to rub together have to deal with the fallout. So in this case I choose to say "Thanks, appreciate it! But please - rot in hell before the rest of us are stuck living in it."
/tired rant

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
I sure didn't.

I also don't game my taxes, run the world's most accelerationist company with its own fleet of vehicles/airplanes or prance on top of my goblin mountain of gold while shitting out fantasy ringworld concepts, so I'm pretty much doing layups on this bald fuck when it comes to a burning world. Just absolutely killing it, really.

You still did not donate a penny. So keep talking. And Bezos was not awarded this wealth, neither spawned with it. He earned it, so he can do with the money, what he feels like.
You can also donate and deduct the taxes. But you did not.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
3m286n.jpg

People defending "poor Bezos" like

Last edited:

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Trolling
People pointing fingers at others not donating enough while they most likely donate nothing lmao

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
People pointing fingers at others not donating enough while they most likely donate nothing lmao

I have donated, and a higher percentage of my salary than he did. So do I get to dictate who can talk in this thread? Can I ban you from donate shaming? Can someone out ban me if they donated higher than me? GTFO with this nonsense.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You still did not donate a penny. So keep talking. And Bezos was not awarded this wealth, neither spawned with it. He earned it, so he can do with the money, what he feels like.

Thank goodness Billionaires got people like you to defend them.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
you would consider pulling back your potentially life saving donation because people criticized you online?
If people have to be bitchy and ungrateful about my donation then I'd consider it, yes. I definitely wouldn't donate anymore. Fuck that attitude.
Closest "relative" to this situation for non-Bezos incomes are all the people on Facebook complaining about their "friends" not donating to Australia if they also donated for Notre Dame, which assumes that the general population can have a say in how a private individual spends (and donates) his/her money (they don't) and also assumes that everytime someone donates he/she has to make it public.

That's also why I asked about Disney, as it's pretty obvious that they donated for Notre Dame for very specific reasons and they will probably be heavily criticized if they don't donate to Australia (no Disneyland there, am i right?).

I personally think $700k is a buckload of money (considering I donated 10Eur), regardless if it's spare change for him or not. That doesn't mean anyone should like Bezos more just because of this (here relative income might be relevant), especially since behaviour like Bezos's general agenda is one of the main reasons for Australia problems (as someone pointed out in a different thread). But donating, and donating what is absolutely a large sum of money should never be a detriment to anyone's character, imho.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this everyday Joe compares well to the world's richest man who literally cannot spend fast enough to lose more than he earns.

You sure owned him and showed us. You're part of the mentalities that make this world a miserable place for so many.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

He's not gonna share his money with you dude.

The billionaire defense force will never not be funny to me.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
Yes, this everyday Joe compares well to the world's richest man who literally cannot spend fast enough to lose more than he earns.

You sure owned him and showed us. You're part of the mentalities that make this world a miserable place for so many.
Do I make the world a shitty place because I do not buy the idea of success only is determined by luck and politics?

Surejan.gif

Of course I can compare. You tell me most people in this thread complaining, does not even have 10 cents to give? That's ignorant. He donated, and most didn't. It is Bezos money, not your money, and never will be, so stop complaining about it.

He's not gonna share his money with you dude.

The billionaire defense force will never not be funny to me.

And the group of people that feels entitled to control his money amuses me as well!

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I could spend all the money I get for the rest of my life and not match his contribution (1200 a month on disability)

That does not mean I actually validate the PR stunt. I'm glad they are getting something, but I can simultaneously be disappointed with how little he values the situation.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with attempting to shame donations from the wealthy. It's still a significant amount to help the cause, he's entitled to give as much as he wants.

I do however have an issue with feeling the need to announce it on social media though.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't become the richest man in the world by having a soul.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
With AMZN up $182 in after hours today after their earnings, and iirc the Bezos' combined having about 78M shares, their net worth jumped over $14 BILLION in a minute. Meanwhile many of their employees in distribution warehouses and delivery struggle to make a living.