• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
This thread astounds me. Any one in here donated even close to 5% of their net worth to the benefit of the planet? I'm amazed he did this, could have continued being a wholly greedy man and donated next to nothing, like 99.9% of the ~1%.

He doesn't need the PR I think he'll be just fine regardless of the opinions of the people. Wonder if this might set a trend.

I most likely have donated more of my net worth to the world than Jeff has, considering he will most likely never have to actually spend 10b.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
I agree, which is why I added my tidbit at the end about wealth equality but this administration is not going to use taxes toward climate change so the donation is warranted.

I got what you were saying. Its still conservative proproganda that you're willingly playing into. "The government doesn't know how to spend my money better than me". It doesn't matter who is the head of government. These funds should be gathered by taxes and publicly accountable, not dictated by private interests only be used to secure their own power.

I most likely have donated more of my net worth to the world than Jeff has, considering he will most likely never have to actually spend 10b.

This seriously should be mandatory viewing for this topic.

The part that kills me is that this isnt even a new or complex type of scam unless you're just looking at surface level only. Gangsters were known to do this heavy, sell the poison that destroys the neighborhood and come around doing "donation drives" during the holidays to seem like heroes of the block. Its just now you're seeing it on a global scale. smh.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Is the US government likely to use this revenue (which they could also borrow if they were so inclined) better than Bezos?
Under our current administration? Fuck no.
They'll give it to less rich billionaires.

This is a start but I'll believe it when I see it. Also his AWS datacenters need to stop being subsidized by local residents and they need to be carbon neutral or negative.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
This is nothing, to him and to the cost that is required of us to fight this properly.
Have you done anything to help the planet? I guess nothing.

Shitty people like you have to belittle every single actions taken to make the planet better, just to sound fake woke.

It doesn't have to cost an arm and leg to help/take actions. At a 100billion wealth, it is something to him, and it is SOMETHING for the NGOs and activists. His actions might also propel others to do the same.

He still have to pay his taxes and other stuffs, but this, this deserves credit.

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018

Shitty people like you have to belittle every single actions taken to make the planet better, just to sound fake woke.

It doesn't have to cost an arm and leg to help/take actions. At a 100billion wealth, it is something to him, and it is SOMETHING for the NGOs and activists. His actions might also propel others to do the same.

He still have to pay his taxes and other stuffs, but this, this deserves credit.

I'm glad we have at least some people standing up for these poor misunderstood billionaires.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread astounds me. Any one in here donated even close to 5% of their net worth to the benefit of the planet? I'm amazed he did this, could have continued being a wholly greedy man and donated next to nothing, like 99.9% of the ~1%.

He doesn't need the PR I think he'll be just fine regardless of the opinions of the people. Wonder if this might set a trend.
I've done this more than a few times, so I don't understand this line of thinking. also, spending 5€ from 100€ is harder on someone than a billionaire donating billions and still being a billionaire lol.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
If you cause $1 trillion worth of damage to the environment, for example, then paying $10 billion to fight it is a bit shit.

I'd guess Amazon causes more than that though.
Good, keep making up up bogus numbers and assumptions to back your fake wokeness. How does he destroys the environment? By you buying shit from Amazon?

I give credit where credit is due. The way he runs his warehouse is shit, but what he did here will only help those in need of funding.

But I guess, you are the same as that person I I've quoted. Keep belittling every good act, then keep complaining how nobody does anything good. Fake woke hypocrisy.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait to find out the majority of this money will actually go toward some self serving bullshit that will help make bezos richer.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good, keep making up up bogus numbers and assumptions to back your fake wokeness. How does he destroys the environment? By you buying shit from Amazon?

I give credit where credit is due. The way he runs his warehouse is shit, but what he did here will only help those in need of funding.

But I guess, you are the same as that person I I've quoted. Keep belittling every good act, then keep complaining how nobody does anything good. Fake woke hypocrisy.

What's hypocritical is Bezos announcing this fund when he operates a business that's visibly inefficient to the consumers. His first goal should be to make Amazon sustainable.

Make it carbon neutral - get electric Prime vans, wind turbines on all their distribution centres, reduce deliveries, significantly reduce wasteful packaging etc. Then this fund won't come across as a self-serving act of self promotion.

Last edited:

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): antagonizing other users
I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, lol at Era's resident billionaire bootlickers.

Last edited:

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Bumping this LA Times article for required reading about the complexities of billionaire philantropy:

The Gates Foundation has poured $218 million into polio and measles immunization and research worldwide, including in the Niger Delta. At the same time that the foundation is funding inoculations to protect health, The Times found, it has invested $423 million in Eni, Royal Dutch Shell, Exxon Mobil Corp., Chevron Corp. and Total of France -- the companies responsible for most of the flares blanketing the delta with pollution, beyond anything permitted in the United States or Europe.

Indeed, local leaders blame oil development for fostering some of the very afflictions that the foundation combats.

Oil workers, for example, and soldiers protecting them are a magnet for prostitution, contributing to a surge in HIV and teenage pregnancy, both targets in the Gates Foundation's efforts to ease the ills of society, especially among the poor. Oil bore holes fill with stagnant water, which is ideal for mosquitoes that spread malaria, one of the diseases the foundation is fighting.

Like most philanthropies, the Gates Foundation gives away at least 5% of its worth every year, to avoid paying most taxes. In 2005, it granted nearly $1.4 billion. It awards grants mainly in support of global health initiatives, for efforts to improve public education in the United States, and for social welfare programs in the Pacific Northwest.

It invests the other 95% of its worth. This endowment is managed by Bill Gates Investments, which handles Gates' personal fortune. Monica Harrington, a senior policy officer at the foundation, said the investment managers had one goal: returns "that will allow for the continued funding of foundation programs and grant making." Bill and Melinda Gates require the managers to keep a highly diversified portfolio, but make no specific directives.

By comparing these investments with information from for-profit services that analyze corporate behavior for mutual funds, pension managers, government agencies and other foundations, The Times found that the Gates Foundation has holdings in many companies that have failed tests of social responsibility because of environmental lapses, employment discrimination, disregard for worker rights, or unethical practices.

One of these investment rating services, Calvert Group Ltd., for example, endorses 52 of the largest 100 U.S. companies based on market capitalization, but flags the other 48 for transgressions against social responsibility. Microsoft Corp., which Bill Gates leads as board chairman, is rated highly for its overall business practices, despite its history of antitrust problems.

In addition, The Times found the Gates Foundation endowment had major holdings in:

* Companies ranked among the worst U.S. and Canadian polluters, including ConocoPhillips, Dow Chemical Co. and Tyco International Ltd.

* Many of the world's other major polluters, including companies that own an oil refinery and one that owns a paper mill, which a study shows sicken children while the foundation tries to save their parents from AIDS.

* Pharmaceutical companies that price drugs beyond the reach of AIDS patients the foundation is trying to treat.

Using the most recent data available, a Times tally showed that hundreds of Gates Foundation investments -- totaling at least $8.7 billion, or 41% of its assets, not including U.S. and foreign government securities -- have been in companies that countered the foundation's charitable goals or socially concerned philosophy.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

People espousing libertarian personal responsibility Randian bullshit. It's insulting to anyone who wants to push for worker rights, for the environment and for an effective corporate tax on companies that take in billions/trillions of dollars from countries and don't invest it back into their local economies.

It is not 'woke' to ask for corporations to pay their fair share, nor to react to news like this from Bezos, who is obviously going for a PR win. Yeah it's cool he's giving 10 billion. So? I bet if I compared the effective wealth of all of ERA compared to what they've given in environmental and other charities it would be a bigger portion of their wealth. I don't hear PR firms gasping in orgasmic praise for us. And you know why? Because we don't fucking deserve it either. Spare me your drivel and perhaps use some of your obvious gigantic empathetic tendencies for people in places such as Australia.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't 10 billion less than what he should be taxed for?

Of course and it's probably not even liquid. Just 10 billion in stock that he still controls.

These things are ego boosts and loopholes for tax evasion. Bloomberg should give away 99% of his entire fortune to fight climate change, but he won't of course because he like most of the upper earners don't give a single solidarity shit about the world or people with less money than them.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nah. These thing are a tax avoidance scheme that makes use of loopholes. That figure isn't liquid not usable. Go educate yourself before spewing your randian garbage and calling others shitty.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Feels like BEZOS is rapidly becoming this place's SOROS.

Why is the right's criticism of Soros problematic? Well they engage in anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. They aren't criticizing him for being rich and not giving back. They're attacking him for being Jewish and that typical 'Cultural Marxist' type disingenuous nonsense. If you think these are any way equivalent to being angry at Bezos for being a rich selfish asshole, I really don't have much hope for you.

To be Ultra woke or not to be ultra woke that is the question

"If money go before, all ways do lie open."

Oct 27, 2017
Use that money to support a candidate who will force your friends and their companies to stop avoiding their fair share of taxes. That 10 bil could raise more, and in perpetuity, for the cause you claim is so important.

EDIT: What are the chances he did this so the billionaires running for president could point to it and say "see, you can trust us! No need to rock the boat!"

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't he also name a product lineup after one of the largest climate disasters this century? Getting mixed signals here...

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I do more then that every weekend when going grocery shopping. Buying local and fair trade only cuts a bigger hole in my bank account then these 10bill do to Bezos account. We think in little man's terms. He's still a multi billionaire after this stunt. That's just wrong.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It is literally impossible for capitalism to save the planet because destroying the planet is the only way to keep capitalism alive

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

the culture of convenience propagated by these websites is a huge factor in the increasing amounts of carbon emissions. The literal button-click to buy hides the environmental costs of our current standard of living.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

$10 billion probably doesn't even come close to offsetting the carbon footprint that his company alone causes, let alone all of the ones Amazon works with.

This is a drop of water in the ocean

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck you, pay taxes.

On the principle, i agree.

But considering the country to wich he'd pay his taxes and who's in charge of said country (and is sadly very likely going to run it in the next mandate as well), you know full well that none of those taxes would go to fight climate change.

So... Yeah...

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Idk about y'all but I love existing in a world where we can debate what impact one person's scant charity will have after they've exploited the labor of countless people and helped to cause immeasurable damage to the planet to amass said wealth they may or may not try to "help" with

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this guy.

His philanthropy doesn't do anything to change the wealth inequality he benefits from, and we all cumulatively suffer from.

Great, he cares about the planet, but not the people on it.

Fuck this guy.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I see people bringing up about Amazon making multiple deliveries a lot and not sure if its the same for Amazon in the rest of the world but I imagine it is the same as in the UK. Each Amazon Fulfilment center only stocks a range of products, they don't all stock everything.

So when you place an order for say like 5 items your order could very well get shipped from 5 different FC's depending where the stock you order is stored. Nothing that can really be done about that as to stock every single item that is for sale at every single FC would be extremely inefficient and would require a huge amount of space. Items are stocked in FC's driven by demand so there is logic behind it to reduce multiple deliveries as much as possible but obviously you can't guess what every single person is going to order all of the time to ensure it is stocked all in one place.

Also as there is now a lot of 3rd party sellers sometimes they stock their products in Amazon FC's and sometimes they send directly so that is another reason you can get multiple deliveries.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018

Amazon Web Services are used in the oil and gas industry. They've breathed new life into extraction technologies in fact.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017

This is true, as far as it goes. People just love pushing away blame to big names and CEOs because it's easier, and it absolves them from abusing a service that is completely optional.

Of course that doesn't excuse the predatory capitalism and mistreatment of workers, but it helps having a perspective over who exactly is destroying the environment.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Make it carbon neutral - get electric Prime vans, wind turbines on all their distribution centres, reduce deliveries, significantly reduce wasteful packaging etc. Then this fund won't come across as a self-serving act of self promotion.

They're already doing all of that?

www.reuters.com

Amazon vows to be carbon neutral by 2040, buying 100,000 electric vans

Amazon.com Inc <AMZN.O> Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos on Thursday pledged to make the largest U.S. e-commerce company net carbon neutral by 2040 and to buy 100,000 electric delivery vans from a start-up, as employees and consumers around the world plan protests to address...

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017

I don't see this cynically, it's a great move. But given there is a survival wage, and most of us are a lot closer to that than "rich", it is disingenuous to suggest 5% of his wealth is anywhere close to as important to him as 5% of our own wealth is to us. Let some people escape the rent trap before lecturing them on 5% of their wealth.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Good start. Glad to see more of the planets billionaires putting their money to good use. However, it's really not going to do a lot in the grand scheme of things.

To really tackle climate change we must convince the public and the governments of the world to take action. I'm talking about some of the biggest nations who cause the most environmental damage such as USA, China etc. If we can't get the governments of the biggest nations on bored then we are doomed.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017

His net worth comes from owning amazon stock not a 100 bn bank account. He probably couldn't sell his stock for 100 bn even if he wanted to, and obviously he would lose control over the company if he did.

He absolutely needs the PR because that's how he justifies his wealth in an increasingly anti billionaire world. It shouldn't work, but it does.

And btw he is not donating the money, he is launching a fund.

If he cared anything about making a better world he would spend his money making sure the tax and regulatory loopholes he exploited to make his fortune are shut close, and if he really cared he could also spend some billions to help get money out of politics, strengthen unions and so on. 10 bn would probably be enough for that.
But he won't because he doesn't actually care, so instead he starts a fund where he can fuck around and rehabilitate his image from cynical exploitative tycoon to world savior Picard wannabe space business thinker and all he has to commit to is to spend a few paltry % of the fund per year.
Before Gates launched his fund and "pledged" his money he was seen as an evil motherfucker business shark. Now he is basically the tech pope.

I prefer greedy shitty billionaires that don't go around funding charities to these savior type billionaires like Buffet and Gates because in the long run the latter kind actually undermines public efforts and democracy to a far greater degree.

Anyone thinking Gates and Bezos will save the world or even have a net positive impact are living in a Dickens fairy tale.

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
His net worth comes from owning amazon stock not a 100 bn bank account. He probably couldn't sell his stock for 100 bn even if he wanted to, and obviously he would lose control over the company if he did.

He absolutely needs the PR because that's how he justifies his wealth in an increasingly anti billionaire world. It shouldn't work, but it does.

And btw he is not donating the money, he is launching a fund.

If he cared anything about making a better world then he would spend his money making sure the tax and regulatory loopholes he made his fortune from are shut close, and if he really cared he could spend another dozen billions to help get money out of politics, strengthen unions and so on. 10 bn would probably be enough for that. But he won't because he doesn't actually care, so he starts fund where he can fuck around and only have to actually spend a few % per year doing the stuff the fund is marketed as doing.

I prefer greedy shitty billionaires that don't go around funding charities to these savior type billionaires like Buffet and Gates because in the long run they actually undermine public efforts and democracy.

This fund comes at a very convenient time for sure.