• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
So like 7% of his wealth ?

So someone with 50k in the bank giving 3,5000 USD

At least better than 99% of other rich people.
When you frame it like that, it sounds even more impressive. Most folks can't even be bothered to commit $100 in a year to good causes.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is an obligatory poll that should go at the top of every thread about Bezos giving money to something

3ph30q.jpg

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Don't like the man but that's a big sum of money that could help to make the world a better place.

Hoping it will inspire other people too.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Good guy billionares. What is 10 billion dollars to billions every year going forward in a goverment that wasnt paid off by dirty energy?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Man makes a fortune exploiting the financial institutions.
Man makes a fortune off of the backs of horrid employee conditions.
Man makes a fortune off of environmentally unsustainable and pernicious policies.
Man decides to earn good will by starting a project and promising to invest less than a tenth of his present net worth
People decide that he is now a hero

Reminds me a bit of the Purdue Pharmaceuticals story.

Oct 27, 2017
But... ERA members apparently want to kill this man (see L.A Mansion thread...)

Yes, all of ERA literally wants to kill Bezos you genius. Quick, link your mind back to the hive!

(people criticizing his work policies, his wealth hoarding despite not really working harder than most and his avoidance of tax payments does not equate killing. Don't worry about poor old Bezos, he is going to be just fine)

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
That's greeeeat, but how about... Fuck you.

Are you going to put money into increasing the taxes you and your fellow human exploiters? Are you going to push politically for wealth redistribution (such as paying a living wage)? Are you going to actively put money into politicians who want to change for the better, both economically and environmentally?

Take your "good effort" and shove it up your asshole, buddy.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
Man makes a fortune exploiting the financial institutions.
Man makes a fortune off of the backs of horrid employee conditions.
Man makes a fortune off of environmentally unsustainable and pernicious policies.
Man decides to earn good will by starting a project and promising to invest less than a tenth of his present net worth
People decide that he is now a hero

Reminds me a bit of the Purdue Pharmaceuticals story.

or he just says Fuck it, do nothing, and keep his money and people will still use amazon.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
For less than half of that money he could become president and make America a leader on climate.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But... ERA members apparently want to kill this man (see L.A Mansion thread...)
Let me know if this is a serious take and I will legitimately spend the time to provide you data that you're wrong.

Spent the time.

Quite literally 2 comments advocating that, and they were banned. The rest of the commenters wondering what the fuck is wrong with them.

Lets stop the over exaggeration, ok?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That is only a small percentage of his wealth guys. Its not hurting him in the least. It would be more prudent of him to lobby the goverment to have all billionares and millionares and corporations taxed to pay for programs fighting climate change for years to come

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It was only a matter of time before billionaires realized that their vast wealth is going to be absolutely useless when the planet burns to a crisp

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This is neat, but let's figure out where this money's actually going. "Issuing grants" doesn't tell me a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
It's still fuck Bezos if he doesn't push for larger political change, but holy shit that is a lot of money if he actually does this

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Still too much wrong with him and I hate that we need to rely on the help of sociopathic, philanthropic billionaires to save the world.

Oct 25, 2017
I still find the topic of pluralism interesting. It's clear democracy cannot do certain things, certainly anything expedient or sustain a focus, but it's also clear that relying on the whims of what essentially amount to monarchs is not very equitable. A system that includes a bit of both may actually be a better system, primarily because it leverages the inequality already at play. Realistically a Chinese-like eco-authoritarian state is probably the other alternative.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Some time in the future.

At Amazon we committed 10 billion dollars to ending global warming. That 10 billion was well spent, we were able to determine that by eliminating bathroom breaks for our employees we could save water, that means more water for everyone. You're welcome.