• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 9, 2018

Yes, he made the announcement on Instagram, on a holiday.

Given the memes about Bezos not putting enough of a proportion of his wealth into social causes, $10B is a bit more significant.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Trolling, history of infractions
But... ERA members apparently want to kill this man (see L.A Mansion thread...)

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be more effective for Bezos to lobby a broad wealth tax increase targeted at the billionaire class, so we could broadly address climate change at the state level. 10B is a grand gesture but personal charity is not sufficient to tackle a problem of this magnitude.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good, I guess? I'd normally prefer he was being taxed appropriately, but our current government wouldn't put this tax money towards fighting climate change so this is what we'll have to settle for.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude is a leech on the entire planet

All the money in the world won't help if people like him continue to be in power.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Good for him. Bill Gates has done great stuff with his wealth so it's nice to see another billionaire follow suit.

Hopefully it leads to something substantial.

Oct 27, 2017
That's nice and all. People committing money to a good cause isn't a bad thing. The problem here is that the future of the planet shouldn't hang in the balance at the whims of the ultra rich.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Good on him for finally putting more in than a couple of pennies.

But i hope he didnt just create the fund so people talk about "Bezos` Earth".

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017

You can still want to eat the rich while cheering on the pre-eaten rich people for doing the right thing for once. The guy still treats his workers like dirt. Massive contributions like this should be expected of billionaires since we are facing a crisis that many of them had a hand in.

Smoothcb

Oct 27, 2017
Good, I guess? I'd normally prefer he was being taxed appropriately, but our current government wouldn't put this tax money towards fighting climate change so this is what we'll have to settle for.
Exactly. When I'm as rich as Bezos, I will prefer to make sure my $$ go to proper charities/initiatives and not leave it up to the government's discretion.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to wait until I see actual sizeable grants being dished out. A commitment <> action.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It would be more effective for Bezos to lobby a broad wealth tax increase targeted at the billionaire class, so we could broadly address climate change at the state level. 10B is a grand gesture but personal charity is not sufficient to tackle a problem of this magnitude.

This. Throwing money at it is a start but there's way more to be done on a structural and fundamental level.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
"Issuing grants"

Hate to be cynical, but this is likely one of those handing over cash to Amazon/Billionaire friendly organisations involved in climate change.

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly if I had that kind of money, I can't imagine not saving at most like a billion for myself and using the rest for what I felt was important. Like, how does my life change going from having a billion dollars to 100 billion dollars?

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I'm really impressed with you guys, multiple posts in and not one edgy guillotine or eat the rich comment

I can't imagine thinking that one person with such obscene amounts of wealth (which redistribution of could legitimately solve significant world issues) deserving to get guillotined, when tens of thousands of people die every day, is "edgy".

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
So like 7% of his wealth ?

So someone with 50k in the bank giving 3,5000 USD

At least better than 99% of other rich people.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Its a good start but pay your taxes and stop taking private jets. I'm also increasingly skeptical of billionaire philanthropy. I cant believe that a man who wont let his warehouse employees take pee breaks suddenly decided to part with $10b without any personal gain.