• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Bloomberg

Jeff Bezos's net worth has smashed through its previous peak, even after he relinquished a quarter of his stake in Amazon.com Inc. as part of a divorce settlement last year.

Shares of the Seattle-based retailer surged 4.4% to a record $2,878.70 Wednesday, boosting the founder's world-leading fortune to $171.6 billion. That tops his previous high of $167.7 billion, set on Sept. 4, 2018, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
His gains -- $56.7 billion this year alone -- underscore a widening wealth gap in the U.S. during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. Initial public offerings and buoyant equity markets have bolstered mega-fortunes, even as tens of millions of people have lost their jobs. This week, after receiving complaints about ending pandemic hazard pay, Amazon said it would spend about $500 million to give one-time $500 bonuses to most front-line workers.
Amazon has been on a tear, with the pandemic accelerating the consumer shift to e-commerce from brick-and-mortar retail. Bezos owns 11% of the stock, which comprises the bulk of his fortune.
Mackenzie Bezos, who acquired a 4% stake in Amazon after the couple split, has a net worth of $56.9 billion and climbed to No. 12 in Bloomberg's ranking. She recently leapfrogged Alice Walton and Julia Flesher Koch to become the world's second-wealthiest woman, and now trails only L'Oreal heiress Francoise Bettencourt Meyers.
But most have weathered the downturn. The collective net worth of the world's 500 richest people now stands at $5.93 trillion, compared with $5.91 trillion at the beginning of the year.

Don't forget to post about how he doesn't have this literally $171.6 Billion as liquid cash in the bank so people know you're smart.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
It's been good for me too. I went from having next to no savings (less than $30k) two years ago To now having over half a million in savings.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
"next to no savings" and "less than 30k" ???

prior to working at Amazon, I had less than 30k which is pretty low for working for ten years (doubly so as developer but I worked at a small company for what's a small salary as far as devs are concerned). Afterwards, I now have a year of vested stocks and purchased stocks that doubled(close to tripled) in value.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It's not that hard if you have the capital and know how to use. The problem is most people don't have the capital
This. If you get to a certain point it's suprisingly easy to accumulate more capital and i think the availability of partial shares and no brokerage fees have lowered that point immensely.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been good for me too. I went from having next to no savings (less than $30k) two years ago To now having over half a million in savings.
Good for you, is this really the thread to be bragging about this? Also around 30k in savings is a LOT of savings, many Americans can't even save more than $1000.

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
When people say 30k in savings does that include retirement accounts? Cuz I can do that. But 30k just liquid in an account... woof, not even close.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
When people say 30k in savings does that include retirement accounts? Cuz I can do that. But 30k just liquid in an account... woof, not even close.
Yeah was going to say, depending on your age 30,000 isn't that much depending on the type of savings you're talking about and your current obligations. 30,000 as free capital to invest seems like a lot though.

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck him.

Yeah. I have about $30k in savings and feel like a fucking millionaire.

Same. It took me 5+ years after college of living at home and scrimping to pay of school debt and get to a place where I had any savings. The 30ish-thousand I have now saved/invested was hard as hell to get to and I feel lucky/fortunate to have been able to do even that.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
mugurumakensei link your etoro profile let me make money too

I wish I had as much luck outside of amazon. I just got lucky cause amazon's pretty safe as far as growth goes. Want some advice? Invest in things people can use anytime even under the assumption a majority of the population will stay home. Netflix, Amazon, and Walmart(has curbside pickup) are all good purchases. Investing in Sony and/or Microsoft post price reveal would be another good idea (stocks dip on news)

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
thread: look at this absolute cretin that is indicitive of everything wrong with society
1st reply: look at me as well please!
It's funny I put that snide remark in the OP thinking the thread would devolve into the 'he doesnt have that much cash' meme scenario that the threads often do, but instead it's the 'era users have vastly different ideas of what rich means' meme scenario 🤔

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I think we're all forgetting the important part of this post:

Fuck Jeff Bezos.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
30k is being rich now? lol
$30k in savings makes you rich now? Lmao.

source.gif

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
prior to working at Amazon, I had less than 30k which is pretty low for working for ten years (doubly so as developer but I worked at a small company for what's a small salary as far as devs are concerned). Afterwards, I now have a year of vested stocks and purchased stocks that doubled(close to tripled) in value.
Yeah, $30k is definitely on the low side for someone who's been working for ten years. Glad you're doing well for yourself now.

I've been working for 2.5 years as an engineer and have $15k in liquid savings, and about $20k in retirement savings. Family was poor and I came here from Puerto Rico with nothing. My wife is currently a student, but she should start working as an MLS and start bringing in $50k-ish next year. I'm also hoping to transition to tech in the next couple of years (my BS is in Computer Engineering, and I have a Master's in Computer Science paid for by my company). If all goes well, we should be pretty well-off in a decade or two.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
30k is being rich now? lol
$30k in savings makes you rich now? Lmao.
lol yeah?

depends on the savings. if he's got $30k in his savings bank account then hes rich. not wealthy. rich.

if its just $30k in his 401k then meh hes your average american.

but seeing as how he was able to take his $30k and turned it into half a million, it's possible hes talking about straight up cash.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I have $10K in savings. Where should I start looking/reading to turn it into more money?
Tom Penny linked some good sources in the stock market OT a few days ago.
Actual individual stock investing is no joke. Very difficult. The market is kind of high and you can't really time it but this is a pretty good video on index investing. The host asks many question that you might have in general. I might try a little of this before individual stock investing but just know this is long term strategy..vs picking a stock and selling for profit which is difficult to do consistently.

www.youtube.com

The Simple Path to Wealth | JL Collins | Talks at Google

Author and financial blogger JL Collins brings his refreshingly unique and approachable take on investing to Google.The author of "The Simple Path to Wealth:...

and the most important long term concept is compounding money..reinvest divs etc for long term. It's really eye opening the difference time and compounding makes

www.youtube.com

Investing Basics: The Power of Compounding

Compound interest means reinvesting earned interest back into the principal of an investment Although investment returns aren’t guaranteed, compound interest...
Also check this thread.

www.resetera.com

Retirement-Era |OT| How to Invest For Retirement OT

Investing Primer (What's a stock anyway?) This section will hopefully give you a clear understanding of terminology you'll come across in this thread as well as why we give the advice that we do. Most things here will not be fully technically discussed because it's not really relevant to...